Every large unified faction that we know of - (Aedyr, Old Vailia, Rauatai) as well as Deadfire, The Living Lands and even The White that Wends exist on continents of their own.

It is entirely possible that nations other than these exist elsewhere on the planet, however...

Compared to Earth it all seems very small, with descriptions of each faction that makes them seem like, at best, at the size of one maybe two large european states. This would also help explain how they can dominate their entire continent and why every nation seems invested in having a fleet. There is no indication that each island empire has any neighbors on land except from the Eastern Reach.

Meisser-31 at some point made this attempt at a map. If the above is correct and given the apparent size of the Eastern Reach part we could once traverse in days, it seems likely that Eora is simply smaller than Earth. If the locations are overall correct and it's about as large as Earth, the continents must actually be smaller and the water:land ratio higher than on Earth.

post-52304-0-45324700-1486033731.png

Edited by Yenkaz

I suppose a solution could be that the known nations actually occupy a narrower part of the planet, but we do know that they cover from the south to the north pole.

Yes, but it's also possible that it's just *one side of the planet*.

Rekke's nation at the very least is to the far east of Deadfire; travel that way has been cut off due to the storms and sea monsters, both of which can get fixed during your playthrough. Since we don't know anything about these other continents, it's impossible to make any judgement about the size of the planet.

Have you done any calculations on the ratio of land to ocean? Because at a glance, that doesn't look much different from Earth - a lot of map projections are pretty deceptive about how much of the world is actually covered in ocean but bear in mind that at 2/3, "water planet" is a reasonable description of our world.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Have you done any calculations on the ratio of land to ocean? Because at a glance, that doesn't look much different from Earth - a lot of map projections are pretty deceptive about how much of the world is actually covered in ocean but bear in mind that at 2/3, "water planet" is a reasonable description of our world.

We have no official map, so nah. It just seems interesting that we have no actual large continents with competing empires (again, other than the Eastern Reach, but it doesn't seem very large) as on Earth, but each faction instead controls an island nation of their own.

That map doesn't look right for some places. Also it's not whole Eora, just a known world map. Nobody knows what's to the east of Deadfire, for example, except that Rekke's people live somewhere out there.

If there is another human group, Storm People, then there could be some for the other races. Maybe in PoE3...

There could be a whole unknown continent or two behind the storms, who knows. But as for POE3 I think there are still enough interesting known places to make a setting.

There could be a whole unknown continent or two behind the storms, who knows. But as for POE3 I think there are still enough interesting known places to make a setting.

I agree. The Living Lands, right? ;)

But depending on when PoE3 happened, there could be more visitors like Rekke.

• Like 1

sign.jpg

Concerning the map, I'd say Rauatai at the very least must be somewhere next to the Deadfire, since it was taken over by Huana refugees who probably didn't just ignore the eastern reach on their journey.

Also, I think I recall an interview or something in which the first game's setting, so roughly Dyrwood + Eir glanfath, is said to be about the size of Iberia.

The Living lands as either a future main setting or the focus of a large DLC would be great, and i hope Beast of Winter will take us either to Naasitaq or the White that wends.

Edited by Taevyr

It's refreshing to have a sort of naval world rather than one dominated by a supercontinent, like Faerun or Tamriel. That said travel must be relatively quick and easy between the different cultural areas in order for all regional options to be available for character creation in both the Eastern Reach and Deadfire. Naval technology is pretty advanced in the setting, and forces like weather magic, geomancy, and watershaping should make travel even more efficient.

Exoduss, on 14 Apr 2015 - 11:11 AM, said: 

also secret about hardmode with 6 man party is :  its a faceroll most of the fights you will Auto Attack mobs while lighting your spliff

I agree. The Living Lands, right? ;)

Exactly  ;) I mean, they sound so awesome they're just begging to be the next setting.

Nah - my Watcher left there to go exploring :p

(but seriously - they should make a game there :thumbsup:  )

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

It's refreshing to have a sort of naval world rather than one dominated by a supercontinent, like Faerun or Tamriel. That said travel must be relatively quick and easy between the different cultural areas in order for all regional options to be available for character creation in both the Eastern Reach and Deadfire. Naval technology is pretty advanced in the setting, and forces like weather magic, geomancy, and watershaping should make travel even more efficient.

This is a bit skewed. Vailia and Ruatai have unusually advanced navy's compared to much of the rest of the setting; it's made explicit that Pale Elves and Boreal dwarves are both virtually unheard of outside of their areas, and Wild Orlans are quite rare outside of the Eastern Reach.

This is a bit skewed. Vailia and Ruatai have unusually advanced navy's compared to much of the rest of the setting; it's made explicit that Pale Elves and Boreal dwarves are both virtually unheard of outside of their areas, and Wild Orlans are quite rare outside of the Eastern Reach.

Yes the old empires: Aedyr, Vailia and Ruatai. It makes sense that the colonial civs have the most advanced naval tech, and that the farthest frontier regions have low populations, since those lands don't support large scale agriculture.

Exoduss, on 14 Apr 2015 - 11:11 AM, said: 

also secret about hardmode with 6 man party is :  its a faceroll most of the fights you will Auto Attack mobs while lighting your spliff

That world map above isn't how I have imagined it. For example I've had Deadfire to the west of Eastern Reach. Maybe I've been completely wrong, don't know what the above is based on, but it made more sense to me given the placement of the locations in the first game, and the Vailian Republics.

Admittedly I've not looked deeply into the lore here, but your mind still comes up with stuff :p

The map needs to be updated for PoE2. I can't recall off the top of my head, but the game makes it plain that Old Vailia (which we need to visit in PoE3, I DEMAND IT) is six thousand miles to the southwest of the Republics. It's about a quarter of Earth's circumference.

• 2 weeks later...

The map at the top has nothing like enough water to match the text desctiptions, but that wouldn't make it a water planet. Water planets have no continental land masses.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!