Alcohol should be a Consumable

Now that the free DLC actually added some more worthwhile expensive alcohols (+25% crit damage is pretty awesome), it's kind of disappointing that you can only use them at rest rather than during combat. It was kind of weird to begin with — I understand having to sit down and rest for a meal, but if you can drink a potion you can drink an ale.

The current implementation also creates some issues immersion-wise: the effects of alcohol last indefinitely (until next rest) and it's literally impossible to consume it at taverns of all places. Characters shouldn't have to run off into the woods in order to have a swig of X.

Tl;dr: It would be nice if the more powerful and expensive alcohols could be categorized alongside drugs as opposed to food. Or at least allow players to assign food and drink at taverns (perhaps only in barebones rooms) to better customize their bonuses.

Edited by Purudaya
  • Like 2

*Begins to furiously plan a Drunk Cipher build*

The thing about alcohol is that it'd be really hard to justify using it all that much without introducing a negative. Because you can purchase it too it might make late game stuff trivial as you'd be able to buy Super Booze or something.

But I like the overall idea. It could work if effort was put into it though. Perhaps we could expand this a little?

• Like 2

Yes! We have no bananas.

Or at least allow players to assign food and drink at taverns (perhaps only in barebones rooms) to better customize their bonuses.

Yep. Feel like that's the right solution.

• Like 1

Exoduss, on 14 Apr 2015 - 11:11 AM, said: 

also secret about hardmode with 6 man party is :  its a faceroll most of the fights you will Auto Attack mobs while lighting your spliff

*Begins to furiously plan a Drunk Cipher build*

I thought the same thing, but it's kind of hard to plan a "drunk" build when it's impossible for the Watcher to have more than 1 lager in an 8-hour span. There's always creative license, I guess :)

But seriously. You give me new booze effects, a drunken character pose, and a drunken sidekick and yet I still can't build my swashbuckling rogue around booze the way monks can around drugs? Come on, Obsidian...let me have this.

• Like 1

The food system should just be removed... I have so many crafting ingredients and can't use them as I don't rest after every room. Either let people eat food when they want or remove it. As it is in deadfire it is completely useless. Also now that you can't enchant any old weapon the majority of crafting items are useless... coupled with  the fact that we are one man down in terms of party size - means we have lost 4 quick slots - all characters should start with deep pockets to compensate. Then we might actually be able to use all the loot we are collecting

Edited by ArnoldRimmer

• 3 weeks later...

The food system should just be removed... I have so many crafting ingredients and can't use them as I don't rest after every room. Either let people eat food when they want or remove it. As it is in deadfire it is completely useless. Also now that you can't enchant any old weapon the majority of crafting items are useless... coupled with  the fact that we are one man down in terms of party size - means we have lost 4 quick slots - all characters should start with deep pockets to compensate. Then we might actually be able to use all the loot we are collecting

wow.  I think I actually disagree with 100% of this.

1.  there are so many unique armors and weapons in the game, many crafting items actually end up in short supply just enchanting even half of them.

2.  food in this game is very powerful.  the high level foods provide HUGE bonuses, and they really do last until you rest again.  if they had it so you could get BOTH tavern rest bonuses (some of which by themselves are quite potent) AND food bonuses at the same time... yeah, that would be way op.  they clearly did it this way so you couldn't stack rest bonuses, but had to choose.

3. completely useless?  I just... uh.. you haven't gotten very far in this game, I have to assume.

4. I'm playing PotD, full scaling, WITH a 2x difficulty modifier.. and still thinking I could solo this game without too much difficulty.  you don't need more than 5 people in your party.  you don't need FIVE people in your party even.

5. how many quickslots do you need?  The potions and bombs and scrolls can be hugely powerful even just using one of them.  there's a skill you can pick up to give you an extra slot, and some equipment enables the "hidden pockets" ability as well if you need to use all six slots.  I have to say though, I don't think I have ever used more than 3 items per character in any combat, and I'm right at the end of the game.  not that slots actually have anything to do with food, or drink!

so.. there's that.

moving on to what someone said about alcohol upthread...

alcohol IS a drug, and I can see a good argument for making it usable LIKE a drug, except for crew on ship, where it becomes just another drink item to water your crew.

but I seriously doubt they will change it.  I think the only thing it can influence directly is the unique dagger pukestabber, so again, very little impetus for them to reconsider how it is used in game.

*shrug*

• Like 2

Being able to use alcohol as a drug would be great, especially with the opportunity of making a Nalpazca "drunken master" build. Ales and other "normal" alcoholic beverages are good as they are, but the expensive, hard-hitting alcoholics would make perfect drugs.

wow.  I think I actually disagree with 100% of this.

1.  there are so many unique armors and weapons in the game, many crafting items actually end up in short supply just enchanting even half of them.

2.  food in this game is very powerful.  the high level foods provide HUGE bonuses, and they really do last until you rest again.  if they had it so you could get BOTH tavern rest bonuses (some of which by themselves are quite potent) AND food bonuses at the same time... yeah, that would be way op.  they clearly did it this way so you couldn't stack rest bonuses, but had to choose.

3. completely useless?  I just... uh.. you haven't gotten very far in this game, I have to assume.

4. I'm playing PotD, full scaling, WITH a 2x difficulty modifier.. and still thinking I could solo this game without too much difficulty.  you don't need more than 5 people in your party.  you don't need FIVE people in your party even.

5. how many quickslots do you need?  The potions and bombs and scrolls can be hugely powerful even just using one of them.  there's a skill you can pick up to give you an extra slot, and some equipment enables the "hidden pockets" ability as well if you need to use all six slots.  I have to say though, I don't think I have ever used more than 3 items per character in any combat, and I'm right at the end of the game.  not that slots actually have anything to do with food, or drink!

so.. there's that.

moving on to what someone said about alcohol upthread...

alcohol IS a drug, and I can see a good argument for making it usable LIKE a drug, except for crew on ship, where it becomes just another drink item to water your crew.

but I seriously doubt they will change it.  I think the only thing it can influence directly is the unique dagger pukestabber, so again, very little impetus for them to reconsider how it is used in game.

*shrug*

I get this, but it's more of an immersion thing for me. Currently, bars and taverns are the only resting area in the game where you can't consume alcohol - that's gotta strike more than just me as an odd design choice. If you want to apply an alcohol buff (and there are some good ones now), you literally have to leave the bar and traipse off into the wilderness or shame-drink it alone in your captain's quarters.

Treat grog, rum, water, ale, etc as crew consumables and treat shots like "forgetful night" as a drug. On a separate note, require actual meals to be consumed when resting or apply debuffs when resting with just water and hardtack, because the current implementation makes the rest system trivial imo.

Pillars of Eternity : The Drunken Adventure *Hic* !  :lol:

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

does alcohol buff really last until the next rest? i tried rum once, and pretty soon the buff was replaced with a pretty strong hangover debuff. moreover, there's an item that allows you avoid hangover, which would be pointless if the effects were soft-permanent. i never touched alcohol since then (well in the game anyway). then again, when that happened the other food also had temporary effects only, and i think it was consumable as well. i think it might have been a temporary patch change that they quickly rolled back.