[How To] Work with Stringtables

I can see nice things happen here and on nexus mods, so I think it's time to write up some stuff for the others. As I work mostly with the Stringtables I begin with them. And I hope, BMac or any other Dev could add things I am missing or explain stuff in greater detail.

Let's begin. ~99,5% of the visible Text ingame is externalised in the exported folder. And translated into 8 languages. The Exceptions are the Credits, News (they come via web request) and a few which the developers missed to mark as “externalize”.
The exported Text is stored in xml Files with a .stringtable fileextension diveded into files according to usage, be it Gui, Abilities or a Conversation with Edér.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<StringTableFile xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
  <Name>game\itemmods</Name>
  <NextEntryID>1</NextEntryID>
  <EntryCount>1024</EntryCount>
  <Entries>
    <Entry>
      <ID>2</ID>
      <DefaultText>Water proof</DefaultText>
      <FemaleText />
    </Entry>
    <Entry>
      <ID>3</ID>
      <DefaultText>Dishwasher proof</DefaultText>
      <FemaleText />
    </Entry>
  </Entries>
</StringTableFile>

That's the structure of any Stringtable file. It has:

• a XML header,
  • a <Stringtable> wrapper with ‘some’ namespace,
  • a <Name> which must correspond to the folder and filename of the file itself
  • a <NextEntryID> whose value is not important for us
  • a <EntryCount> whose value is not important for us
  • and a list of <Entries>
    • Each of them has exactly 3 elements.
    • a <ID> which is used by the game to reference this particular string
    • a <DefaultText> which is shown per default
    • and a <FemaleText> which is shown if the person in the current context is female, may it your main character or a female NPC

Rule 1
When editing a Stringtable, or creating a new one for the Override folder of your mod. Always make sure the File is valid xml!
You can test that with this little xsd file and a validator tool:

Name the file stringtable.xsd

<xsd:schema attributeFormDefault="unqualified" elementFormDefault="qualified" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
  <xsd:element name="StringTableFile">
    <xsd:complexType>
      <xsd:sequence>
        <xsd:element type="xsd:string" name="Name"/>
        <xsd:element type="xsd:integer" name="NextEntryID"/>
        <xsd:element type="xsd:integer" name="EntryCount"/>
        <xsd:element name="Entries">
              <xsd:element name="Entry" maxOccurs="unbounded" minOccurs="0">
                    <xsd:element type="xsd:integer" name="ID"/>
                    <xsd:element type="xsd:string" name="DefaultText"/>
                    <xsd:element type="xsd:string" name="FemaleText"/>
                  </xsd:sequence>
                </xsd:complexType>
              </xsd:element>
    <xsd:unique name="ids_sind_unique">
        <xsd:selector xpath="Entries/Entry"/>
        <xsd:field xpath="ID"/>
    </xsd:unique>
</xsd:schema>

Validation Tools

The most basic invocation of xsvd.jar on a terminal would be:

java -jar xsdv.jar stringtable.xsd yourChangedFile.stringtable

To which it can respond with:

yourChangedFile.stringtable validates.
or
yourChangedFile.stringtable fails to validate because:
<reason>

If all files validate you can enjoy your changes.

What can one do with this?
You can override any line, with anything, as is done here: https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/5 or here: https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/42
You can add your own texts via the override folder for your custom items, conversations or quests
You can style the text mostly free.

Known limitations
The font ingame has no iconographies for Cyrillic or Korean, or any other non Latin script.

snZOliw.jpg

As the file has to be valid XML all helpers, which use < and > have to be written as their replacement Tags < and >. XML in general has 3 more escapes, but they are, so far, not needed for stringtable files. Full reference: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1091945/what-characters-do-i-need-to-escape-in-xml-documents

General text handling
In the text you have various helper elements to style the text or insert variable values. Which variables are available depends on the context. Besides the replacement system there is an automatic coloring system in place, which recognizes direct speech and changes the font color from gray to white. This system works flawless in PoE 2 and all available translations.

4iNNGq0.png
pCUyY5a.png

Links get always a teal color in Conversations and the Log, while they are blue by default in popups and the cyclopedia.

For displays which have Iconographies all non Word Characters from the Start of the Sentence are removed. So if the Text is Wrapped in „“ your result is a stray “ at the end of the Text.

Ex-curse
There are 2 types of String renderings for “conversations”. One is the big modal two part speech box and the other one are barks. These are displayed as floating text above the head of the speaker.

spBMXCt.jpg

Basic text effects

• <b>Bold</b>
  • <i>Italic</i>
  • <u>Underline</u> Be careful with that one. The underline line in the log window stays visible if the hud is hidden.
  • <b>bold</b> <i>italic</i> <u>underline</u> <b><i><u>bold, italic, underline</u></i></b>
          „<b>bold</b> <i>italic</i> <u>underline</u> <b><i><u>bold, italic, underline</u></i></b>“

• <ispeech>Used when the Watcher has a Vision and “speaks“ with himself</ispeech> The text is Italic in the conversation panel and Italic and white in the log panel
  • <#FF0000>Red!</color> Same colors as in html
  • <#FF0000>Red!</color> <#00FF00>Green!</color> <#0000FF>Blue!</color> <#00DDFF>Cyan!</color> <#ca1f7b>Fuchsia!</color> <#FFA500>Orange!</color> <#7FFFD4>Aquamarine!</color> <#FFFFFF>White!</color> <#000000>Black!</color>

• I5WOpCB.png

Links of various kind

• <g>Link to a Cyclopedia entry</g> Most of the time the game finds out when to set a link if the word is the same, but for non English languages that's not that easy. So for example in German to add a link to Zersetzung – the name of the Cyclopedia entry – in the word „Zersetzungsschaden“ (corrode damage) one would write <g>Zersetzung</g>sschaden. The text will be displayed in teal.
  • <xg> Anti Link. Prevents an automatic link to a normally linked word.
  • <link="gamedata://b863a8c3-ed3b-4787-8b3f-2bdea96c47a1">Machtschwung</link> Link to Items or Ability popups. Good for showing a quest reward
    • OFnA0K2.jpg

• <link=https://forums.obsidian.net/forum/126–pillars–of–eternity–ii–deadfire–backer–beta/>forums.obsidian.net</link>or link to the web
  • <link="glossary://GlossaryEntry_Skaen">Der Stille Sklave</link> Link to named entries of the glossary. Words which have an entry in the Cyclopdia are linked automatically.
    • P7VVdxB.jpg

• <link="stringtooltip://cyclopedia/56">strudelt gefährlich</link> Make Tooltips with texts from this file. For the Example it's ID 56 from cyclopedia.stringtable. You could use any file of the game folder.
    • azIXQtQ.jpg

• <link="neutralvalue://Vailian: Gebt mir den Seelenverschlinger!>„Derme o Engoliero me Espirs!</link> Link to inline translations of all the different con langs. Which are these in Eora known ones, and then any you want:
    • Eld Aedyran
    • Vailian
    • Ixamitl
    • Engwithan
    • Ordhjóma
    • Huana
    • Rauataian
    • Lembur
      • lOuwUEq.jpg

• <sprite="Inline" name="action_hold" tint=1> Use sprites in the text. Currently they are on mass in the Ship battle and the Tutorial. Attention: Sprites have no end tag! There are plenty of icons to use. See the List from BMacs Post: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/100818-how-to-work-with-stringtables/?p=2041213

Replacement Token

• {0}, {1} etc. get replaced with numbers or texts from some source. Like function evaluations. Which functions there are, and how many return values they have is a whole different topic. Example: {0} {1} {2} for {3} damage {4}. Could result in Aloth hits Edér for 12 fire damage. (and I have forgotten what the {4} does.)
    • The curly braces replacements can have subvalues which can be at least these. Percent gets a % sign from itself.
    • {0:AfflictionType}
    • {0:DamageType}
    • {0:Equippable}
    • {0:WeaponType}
    • {0:Value}
    • {0:Value:DamageProc}
    • {0:Value:Duration}
    • {0:Value:PercentBonus}
    • {0:Value:DurationBonus}
    • {0:Value:InvertPercentBonus}
    • {0:Value:Percent}
    • {0:Value:Straight}
    • {0:ExtraValue:straight}
    • {0:ExtraValue:Percent}
    • {0:ExtraValue:Duration}
  • [specified 0] get replaced with the name of the user character at the current selection for this particular scripted interaction. If you choose “Edér should jump the cliff“ and then „Aloth should watch it“ Aloth will be [specified 1]
  • [slot 0] is comparable to [specified x] but it refers to the order of your party members. The left most portrait is Slot 0. It is replaced with the character name.
  • [skillCheck 0] Is replaced with the character name which do the task
  • [Player Animal Companion] is replaced with the Name of your cat, äh, animal companion
    [Player Class]
    [Player Culture]
    [Player Deity]
    [Player Name]
    [Player Race]
    [Player Ship]
    [Player Subrace]
  • [Death Grunt/Cry 1] According to BMac this is only to show sounds, it has no significance ingame. Maybe a feature to play that audio was once planned but got clipped.
  • [OrlansHeadGame_OpponentLastResult] these are for the knive throwing minigame
    [OrlansHeadGame_OpponentLastScore]
    [OrlansHeadGame_OpponentTotalScore]
    [OrlansHeadGame_PlayerLastResult]
    [OrlansHeadGame_PlayerLastScore]
    [OrlansHeadGame_PlayerTotalScore]
  • [shipDuel_BraceChance]
    [shipDuel_OpponentShip]
    [shipDuel_Opponent]
    [shipDuel_PlayerFullSailDist]
    [shipDuel_PlayerHalfSailDist]
    [shipDuel_PlayerShip]
    [shipDuel_SurrenderCost]

A few more Images: https://imgur.com/a/LfuSA08

Edited by Xaratas
  • Like 8

I can see nice things happen here and on nexus mods, so I think it's time to write up some stuff for the others. As I work mostly with the Stringtables I begin with them. And I hope, BMac or any other Dev could add things I am missing or explain stuff in greater detail.

Let's begin. ~99,5% of the visible Text ingame is externalised in the exported folder. And translated into 8 languages. The Exceptions are the Credits, News (they come via web request) and a few which the developers missed to mark as “externalize”.

The exported Text is stored in xml Files with a .stringtable fileextension diveded into files according to usage, be it Gui, Abilities or a Conversation with Edér.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<StringTableFile xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
  <Name>game\itemmods</Name>
  <NextEntryID>1</NextEntryID>
  <EntryCount>1024</EntryCount>
  <Entries>
    <Entry>
      <ID>2</ID>
      <DefaultText>Water proof</DefaultText>
      <FemaleText />
    </Entry>
    <Entry>
      <ID>3</ID>
      <DefaultText>Dishwasher proof</DefaultText>
      <FemaleText />
    </Entry>
  </Entries>
</StringTableFile>

Thats the structure of any Stringtable file. It has:

• a XML header,
  • a <Stringtable> wrapper with ‘some’ namespace,
  • a <Name> which must correspond to the folder and filename of the file itself
  • a <EntryCount> whose value is not important for us
  • and a list of <Entries>
    • Each of them has exactly 3 elements.
    • a <ID> which is used by the game to reference this particular string
    • a <DefaultText> which is shown per default
    • and a <FemaleText> which is shown if the person in the current context is female, may it your main character or a female NPC

What can one do with this?

You can override any line, with anything, as is done here: https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/5 or here: https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/42

You can add your own texts via the override folder for your custom items, conversations or quests

You can style the text mostly free.

Known limitations

The font ingame has no iconographies for Cyrillic or Korean.

As the file has to be valid XML all helpers, which use < and > have to be written as their replacement Tags < and >. XML in genral has 3 more escapes, but they are, so far not needed for stringtable files. Full reference: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1091945/what-characters-do-i-need-to-escape-in-xml-documents

Text effects

In the text you have various helper elements to style the text or insert variables. Which variables are available depends on the context.

• <b>Bold</b>
  • <i>Italic</i>
  • <ispeech>Used when the Watcher has a Vision and “speaks“ with himself</ispeech> The text is Italic in the conversation panel and Italic and white in the log panel
  • <#FF0000>Red!</color> Same colors as in html

Links of various kind

• <g>Link to a Cyclopedia entry</g> Most of the time the game finds out when to set a link if the word is the same, but for non English languages that's not that easy. So for example in German to add a link to Zersetzung – the name of the Cyclopedia entry – in the word „Zersetzungsschaden“ (corrode damage) one would write <g>Zersetzung</g>sschaden. The text will be displayed in teal.
  • <link="gamedata://b863a8c3-ed3b-4787-8b3f-2bdea96c47a1">Machtschwung</link> Link to Items or Ability popups. Good for showing a quest reward
  • <link=https://forums.obsidian.net/forum/126–pillars–of–eternity–ii–deadfire–backer–beta/>forums.obsidian.net</link>or link to the web
  • <link="glossary://GlossaryEntry_Skaen">Der Stille Sklave</link> Link to named entries of the glossary
  • <link="stringtooltip://cyclopedia/56">strudelt gefährlich</link> Make Tooltips with texts from this file. For the Example it's ID 56 from cyclopedia.stringtable. You could use any file of the game folder. @BMac or any any?
  • <link="neutralvalue://Vailian: Gebt mir den Seelenverschlinger!>„Derme o Engoliero me Espirs!</link> Link to inline translations of all the different con langs. Which are at least:
    • Eld Aedyran
    • Vailian
    • Ixamitl
    • Engwithan
    • Ordhjóma
    • Huana
    • Rauataian
    • Lembur
  • <sprite="Inline" name="action_hold" tint=1> Use sprites in the text. Currently they are on mass in the Ship battle and the Tutorial. Attention: Sprites have no end tag! @BMac Could that use any icon? Like the little crush damage hammer?

Replacement Token

• {0}, {1} etc. get replaced with numbers or texts from some source. Like function evaluations. Which functions there are, and how many return values they have is a whole different topic. Example: {0} {1} {2} for {3} damage {4}. Could result in Aloth hits Edér for 12 fire damage. (and I have forgotten what the {4} does.)
    • The curly braces replacements can have subvalues which can be at least these. Percent gets a % sign from itself.
    • {0:AfflictionType}
    • {0:DamageType}
    • {0:Equippable}
    • {0:WeaponType}
    • {0:Value}
    • {0:Value:DamageProc}
    • {0:Value:Duration}
    • {0:Value:PercentBonus}
    • {0:Value:DurationBonus}
    • {0:Value:InvertPercentBonus}
    • {0:Value:Percent}
    • {0:Value:Straight}
    • {0:ExtraValue:straight}
    • {0:ExtraValue:Percent}
    • {0:ExtraValue:Duration}
  • [specified 0] get replaced with the name of the user character at the current selection for this particular scripted interaction. If you choose “Edér should jump the cliff“ and then „Aloth should watch it“ Aloth will be [specified 1]
  • [slot 0] is comparable to [specified x] but it refers to the order of your party members. The left most portrait is Slot 0. It is replaced with the character name.
  • [skillCheck 0] Is replaced with the character name which do the task
  • [Player Animal Companion] is replaced with the Name of your cat, äh, animal companion

[Player Class]

[Player Culture]

[Player Deity]

[Player Name]

[Player Race]

[Player Ship]

[Player Subrace]

• [Death Grunt/Cry 1] I have the feeling the should play that audio from the characters voice bank. But i have yet to encounter a place where it does work. @BMac Any hint what they do and where they work?
  • [OrlansHeadGame_OpponentLastResult] these are for the knive throwing minigame

[OrlansHeadGame_OpponentLastScore]

[OrlansHeadGame_OpponentTotalScore]

[OrlansHeadGame_PlayerLastResult]

[OrlansHeadGame_PlayerLastScore]

[OrlansHeadGame_PlayerTotalScore]

• [shipDuel_BraceChance]

[shipDuel_OpponentShip]

[shipDuel_Opponent]

[shipDuel_PlayerFullSailDist]

[shipDuel_PlayerHalfSailDist]

[shipDuel_PlayerShip]

[shipDuel_SurrenderCost]

Where would you suggest I look for the text that pops up when you're in SLOW MODE or FAST MODE, the one that literally says "Game is in Slow Mode [F]" etc.

I'd really like to delete (or replace with blank file) that text but can't find it. Lovely post btw! Very well formatted.

• Like 1

strudelt gefährlich Make Tooltips with texts from this file. For the Example it's ID 56 from cyclopedia.stringtable. You could use any file of the game folder. @BMac or any any?

This will only work for string tables that are in the StringTableType enum.  In general, this is any of the "game" stringtables (items, abilities, gui, cyclopedia), but not conversations or quests.

This is awesome! Thanks for putting the guide together Xaratas!

The only thing I'd like to add is that you can add icons to text entries by using this tag:

<sprite="Inline" name="[icon name]" tint=1>

It's also possible to colorize the icons using the color tag mentioned in the guide.

Editor and Designer
Enhanced User Interface
Nexus Mods | Steam Workshop

• Use sprites in the text. Currently they are on mass in the Ship battle and the Tutorial. Attention: Sprites have no end tag! @BMac Could that use any icon? Like the little crush damage hammer?
Yes, there is a list of valid sprites. Currently:

actionbar_leader_Athletics

actionbar_leader_Barbarian

actionbar_leader_Chanter

actionbar_leader_Chanter_resource

actionbar_leader_Cipher

actionbar_leader_Cipher_resource

actionbar_leader_Druid

actionbar_leader_Fighter

actionbar_leader_Modal

actionbar_leader_Monk

actionbar_leader_Monk_resource

actionbar_leader_Paladin

actionbar_leader_Priest

actionbar_leader_Ranger

actionbar_leader_Rogue

actionbar_leader_Wizard

action_board

action_brace

action_dive

action_fire

action_full_sail

action_half_sail

action_hold

action_left

action_report

action_reverse

action_right

Aggressive_L

anti_eothas

anti_eothasians

anti_gods

anti_huana

anti_humor

anti_leadenkey

anti_principi

anti_tradition

Attribute_Constitution

Attribute_Dexterity

Attribute_Intellect

Attribute_Might

Attribute_Perception

Attribute_Resolve

Background_Apprentice

Background_Aristocrat_L

Background_Artist_L

Background_Clergy_L

Background_Colonist_L

Background_Dissident_L

Background_Drifter_L

Background_Explorer_L

Background_Farmer

Background_Gentry

Background_Hunter_L

Background_Laborer_L

Background_Marksman

Background_Mercenary_L

Background_Merchant_L

Background_Missionary

Background_Mystic_L

Background_Philosopher_L

Background_Raider_L

Background_Scholar_L

Background_Scientist_L

Background_Slave_L

Background_Soldier

Benevolent_L

Class_Barbarian_L

Class_Chanter_L

Class_Cipher_L

Class_Druid_L

Class_Fighter_L

Class_Monk_L

Class_Paladin_L

Class_Priest_L

Class_Ranger_L

Class_Rogue_L

Class_Wizard_L

Clever_L

crew_rank_0

crew_rank_1

crew_rank_2

crew_rank_3

crew_rank_4

crew_rank_5

crew_rank_6

Cruel_L

CS_Accuracy

CS_Accuracy_S

CS_AR

CS_AR_S

CS_Blunt

CS_Blunt_S

CS_Burn

CS_Burn_S

CS_Corrosive

CS_Corrosive_S

CS_Deflection

CS_Deflection_S

CS_Fortitude

CS_Fortitude_S

CS_Freeze

CS_Freeze_S

CS_Health

CS_Health_S

CS_Penetration

CS_Penetration_S

CS_Pierce

CS_Pierce_S

CS_Random

CS_Random_S

CS_Raw

CS_Raw_S

CS_Reflex

CS_Reflex_S

CS_Shock

CS_Shock_S

CS_Slash

CS_Slash_S

CS_Will

CS_Will_S

Culture_Aedyr_L

Culture_DeadfireArchipelago_L

Culture_Dyrwood

Culture_IxamitlPlains_L

Culture_LivingLands_L

Culture_OldVailia_L

Culture_Principi

Culture_Rauatai_L

Culture_Readceras

Culture_Vailian

Culture_WhiteWends_L

Culture_Yezuha

Diplomatic_L

dir.txt

down_arrow

Empowered

Gender_Female_L

Gender_Male_L

Honest_L

hostile

iconNewQuest

icon_levelScale_1

icon_levelScale_2

icon_levelScale_3

icon_levelScale_4

icon_ship_advantage

icon_ship_ammunition

icon_ship_cannon_accuracy

icon_ship_carpenter

icon_ship_combat_speed

icon_ship_crew

icon_ship_currency

icon_ship_defender

icon_ship_distance

icon_ship_firepower

icon_ship_food

icon_ship_heading

icon_ship_health

icon_ship_hull_health

icon_ship_maneuverability

icon_ship_morale

icon_ship_position

icon_ship_sail_health

icon_ship_water

icon_ship_water_speed

ic_ship_boatswain

ic_ship_cannon

ic_ship_cannoneer

ic_ship_chef

ic_ship_deckhand

ic_ship_flag

ic_ship_helmsman

ic_ship_hull

ic_ship_navigator

ic_ship_permanent_upgrade

ic_ship_reserves

ic_ship_sail

ic_ship_surgeon

ic_ship_surrender

ic_ship_upgrade

irresponsibility

missing_icon

Passionate_L

poe1_reactivity

pro_animalcruelty

pro_animalkindness

pro_animancy

pro_autonomy

pro_deceit

pro_duty

pro_eothas

pro_eothasians

pro_gods

pro_huana

pro_humor

pro_immodesty

pro_leadenkey

pro_passion

pro_principi

pro_provincial

pro_racism

pro_rauatai

pro_resourcefulness

pro_stewardship

pro_tradition

pro_vailian

pro_worldly

questDifficulty_1

questDifficulty_2

questDifficulty_3

questDifficulty_4

questDifficulty_None

Race_Aumaua_L

Race_Dwarves_L

Race_Elves_L

Race_Godlike_L

Race_Human_L

Race_Orlan_L

Rational_L

repIcon_Aggressive

repIcon_Benevolent

repIcon_Clever

repIcon_Cruel

repIcon_Diplomatic

repIcon_Honest

repIcon_Passionate

repIcon_Rational

repIcon_Shady

repIcon_Stoic

reputationIcon_dawnstars

reputationIcon_gulletRoparu

reputationIcon_huana

reputationIcon_myrlesfen

reputationIcon_neketaka

reputationIcon_portMaje

reputationIcon_principi

reputationIcon_rathun

reputationIcon_rdc

reputationIcon_slavers

reputationIcon_slums

reputationIcon_tikawara

reputationIcon_vtc

reputationIcon_watcher

reputationIcon_watershapersGuild

rep_anti_eothas

rep_anti_eothasians

rep_anti_gods

rep_anti_huana

rep_anti_humor

rep_anti_leadenkey

rep_anti_principi

rep_anti_tradition

rep_pro_animalcruelty

rep_pro_animalkindness

rep_pro_animancy

rep_pro_autonomy

rep_pro_deceit

rep_pro_duty

rep_pro_eothas

rep_pro_eothasians

rep_pro_gods

rep_pro_huana

rep_pro_humor

rep_pro_immodesty

rep_pro_irresponsibility

rep_pro_leadenkey

rep_pro_passion

rep_pro_principi

rep_pro_provincial

rep_pro_racism

rep_pro_rauatai

rep_pro_resourcefulness

rep_pro_stewardship

rep_pro_tradition

rep_pro_vailian

rep_pro_worldly

Shady_L

shipFire_cannonball

shipFire_chainshot

shipFire_fire

shipFire_grapeshot

shipRole_Indicator

Skill_Acrobatics

Skill_Alchemy

Skill_Arcana

Skill_Athletics

Skill_Bluff

Skill_Climb

Skill_Diplomacy

Skill_Herbalism

Skill_History

Skill_Hunting

Skill_Insight

Skill_Intimidate

Skill_Jump

Skill_Mechanics

Skill_Metaphysics

Skill_Religion

Skill_Sleight_of_Hand

Skill_Stealth

Skill_Streetwise

Skill_Survival

Stoic_L

Tooltip_counterIcon

vo

worldmap_crewHealth

worldmap_hullHealth

worldmap_sailHealth

actionbar_edit_chant

citymapicon_setSail

citymapicon_supplies

dir.txt

ICO_attack

ICO_charSheet

ICO_filterCrafting

ICO_inventory

ICO_journal

ICO_rest

ICO_selectAll

ICO_stealth

ICO_strongholdShip

ICO_talk

quickItems_S

sqrMenu_hireSailor

• [Death Grunt/Cry 1] I have the feeling the should play that audio from the characters voice bank. But i have yet to encounter a place where it does work. @BMac Any hint what they do and where they work?

Those aren't actually tokens, they're just text in chatters signifying sounds that aren't words.
  • Like 4

Notice: Never ever have 2 times the same ID in one stringtable. The game silently locks up at starting and you get the spinnig gears on the resume and load buttons.

The output.log says there was a stringtable error with duplicated id, but it does not say which. So I think I have to enhance the xml shema validation tool and write a bit about it.

Thnks for this, just a couple of questions.

I'm fixing by myself some mistakes in my localization (italian) and a lot of female pronouns are missing so i would try to add them.
About that ,after some attempts i guess that also a string in the main stringtable (english) should be added to have a proper working mod, right?

Can i left it empty and just add the required part in my localized stringtable?

Are there other things to know about that ?

Thnks in advance

Edited by kilay

Hi kilay, i saw your italian mod on nexus, was quite close to write you yesterday, but it was 4am.

You are currently overwriting the orginal files, which is not good. It removes you patched texts with each PoE patch.

A better approach is to either make a whole new language, as we have done for the german fix. But then you have to add all new strings with each new patch. Or to use the override folder and override only what needs to be changed.

If you have different female forms use the FemaleText. Fill it with the whole DefaultText text but in female form. It doesn't matter if the english version has one for that id.

• Like 1

Hi kilay, i saw your italian mod on nexus, was quite close to write you yesterday, but it was 4am.

You are currently overwriting the orginal files, which is not good. It removes you patched texts with each PoE patch.

A better approach is to either make a whole new language, as we have done for the german fix. But then you have to add all new strings with each new patch. Or to use the override folder and override only what needs to be changed.

If you have different female forms use the FemaleText. Fill it with the whole DefaultText text but in female form. It doesn't matter if the english version has one for that id.

Thnks for answer, yeah, how stated i'm a noob in modding PoE , i readed the part about the override but i hadn't time to make it in a proper form, btw atm i've changed really few string, so should be quick to compile.

And about a new language,  good advice, but i'm just an amateur, i'm pretty sure that after some patches there will be some group of italian translator that take care of this

Edited by kilay

Ok , I did the override folder and works, just a last question to avoid issues 

In your OP you said that <EntryCount> has not relevance for us

so in that field and in <NextEntryID> can i left the values from the original file that i have to change?

Atm seems to work fine but i would avoid futher headache and make that in the right way.

Thnks

Edited by kilay

Yes, just copy the two lines from the orginal file.

The icons from BMacs list, the non white icons can be very hard to read in the normal text display, that's why the first picture got lighten up:

https://imgur.com/a/IpwfSHD

icon_ship_defender and reputationicon_gulletropau did not work. The icons with _s for small behave differently, they are placed way above the line, so the got their own lines at the bottom. A few of the ship icons are also not 1 line height.

Important: All icon names must be written in lowercase.

Sprites have a direct color attribute.

<sprite="Inline" name="action_hold" tint=1 color=#FF0000>
Edited by Xaratas
  • Like 1

Sorry for other questions

Whats about more stringtable mods with the same files changed, which order they follow? And can i avoid to check that if they change different entries?

Can i rename the mod folder with 01_his_name , 02_2nd_mod , 03_3rd_mod to make a sort of custom reading order?

Edited by kilay

Where or How i can found new ID to add entries to Glossary&Cyclopedia?

EDIT :

Nevermind found it... maybe add it to the first page could be useful for someone who would like to change/add entries

https://www.uuidgenerator.net/

Edited by kilay

• 3 years later...