UMM! You forgot something, Mirke...

And since we already have Big Head Mode... :shifty:

Big junk mode incoming?

Lol, knowing how people are I think it's safe to say that if devs won't do it officially sooner or later there'll be a nude mod floating around on Nexus. 

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 2

Years from now, when I look back on this game, I won't be thinking about that awesome ship battle I had, or that great conversation modifier win that I had, or the quests I completed.

No, it will be about One. Single. Naked. Blue. Orlan.

#bestgameever

• Like 11

Years from now, when I look back on this game, I won't be thinking about that awesome ship battle I had, or that great conversation modifier win that I had, or the quests I completed.

#bestgameever

#NeverForget

#Mirke2018

• Like 3

#bestgameever

#NeverForget

#Mirke2018

Oh this will be a meme in the future for any future Obsidian project. For any game coming out we have to ask if there's a naked Orlan in it. They will never live this down. :)

Edited by Masticator
  • Like 9

The error with Mirke is literally a single string that caused the Orlan 'naked' body to not be activated properly. It was an oversight because of reasons

Ok, so Obsidian employees with blue orlan fantasies confirmed.

Thanks for the explanation Dimitri, there was a lot of curiosity for whatever reason. (Obsidian fans with blue orlan fantasies confirmed.)

• Like 7

Holy thread.

The error with Mirke is literally a single string that caused the Orlan 'naked' body to not be activated properly. It was an oversight because of reasons.

As far as the nude body - all characters have fully modeled/textured nude bodies underneath their underwear, this was the easiest way for us to get all the outfits looking correct for all characters and not worry about what each outfit revealed/hid, and it was the first body template to be made for each race. The other 30% was the bathhouse scene. The way our pipeline works, once we create a single nude body, that is propagated to all races and NPC's.

That said, only the Base Naked Body (when you take your equipment off) has the full model, none of the other outfits (the polygons are cut out for performance ). This model can be seen when equipping a certain bathhouse outfit, which we do not allow to be dropped. Both males and females have this model, and in case of males there is code that makes the appearance more correct if you will, without this code they'll be missing *bits*.

I don't have any strong opinion on allowing fully nude characters, we wanted it to be controlled in a way to avoid any weirdness, and not be off-putting for players that would rather skip that sort of content. We also decided to include it in the game, because

it was already all made anyway, and as many of you have said, why not. It is a mature game.

Thanks for the explanation, that's all I wanted to know and I am not disappointed! This has all been pretty hilarious.

Hopefully there wasn't too much facepalming around the ol' water cooler at the office.

"How are things on your end? Get most of the B list bugs squashed?"

"Oh well, we're getting there. Bob left a drunk naked orlan model in though. Forums blew up overnight"

".. figures. Sigh. F@#king Bob."

:p

Edited by fortuntek
  • Like 10

honestly what is the hypocrisy of fearing nudity? who has put the thoughts that nudity is a sin and something to be ashamed of? a child already seen bare naked breast the moment they are being breastfeed. also what's more this game is mature rated with use of drugs, killing, murder, torture and rape (poe1 aelys rings a bell?) and also hollowborn (baby borned without a soul). obsidian, there are many games that has nudity and feature far more beautiful figures than the one you modeled. enough rant, please put an option to turn the nudity on/off. you can make it off on default. and you can hide it on some xml settings file (but i don't really see your point of fearing nudity when the gaming industry already has games that feature nudity).

• Like 3

This is definitely going on my list of all-time favourite video game bugs, along with the cat that reported me for stealing in Baldur's Gate 2, rotating heads in New Vegas and all kinds of model-related nonsense in Red Dead Redemption.

• Like 1

So the bathhouse suit Dimitri mentioned with... *bits*. Does anyone have a code for it since it's flagged as undroppable?

Asking for a friend.

• Like 3

If my post hasn't been edited yet, I'm still looking to find the error I made typing it.

So the bathhouse suit Dimitri mentioned with... *bits*. Does anyone have a code for it since it's flagged as undroppable?

Asking for a friend.

All things considered, it's probably for the best that it's undroppable, if you catch my drift.

• Like 2

And since we already have Big Head Mode... :shifty:

Big junk mode incoming?

Lol, knowing how people are I think it's safe to say that if devs won't do it officially sooner or later there'll be a nude mod floating around on Nexus. 

Yeah, first thought on learning this was "there'll be a mod to enable the rest of the party to be naked now" followed by "I wonder if Obsidian did this 'mistake' deliberately to encourage this very thing?" It is confirmed now that the models wouldn't need to be modified for it to work after all...

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Holy thread. 

The error with Mirke is literally a single string that caused the Orlan 'naked' body to not be activated properly. It was an oversight because of reasons

As far as the nude body - all characters have fully modeled/textured nude bodies underneath their underwear, this was the easiest way for us to get all the outfits looking correct for all characters and not worry about what each outfit revealed/hid, and it was the first body template to be made for each race. The other 30% was the bathhouse scene. The way our pipeline works, once we create a single nude body, that is propagated to all races and NPC's.

That said, only the Base Naked Body (when you take your equipment off) has the full model, none of the other outfits (the polygons are cut out for performance ). This model can be seen when equipping a certain bathhouse outfit, which we do not allow to be dropped. Both males and females have this model, and in case of males there is code that makes the appearance more correct if you will, without this code they'll be missing *bits*. 

I don't have any strong opinion on allowing fully nude characters, we wanted it to be controlled in a way to avoid any weirdness, and not be off-putting for players that would rather skip that sort of content. We also decided to include it in the game, because it was already all made anyway, and as many of you have said, why not. It is a mature game. 

Slightly tangenitally - speaking as someone who does CAD modelling for an living (albeit in the slightly different but related discipline of starships and vehicles for 3D printing), I am somewhat amused that the same principles apply.

In my case, that means you have to do the basic armoured vehicles (like the T-72) Right before you can do stuff like the engineering vehicles (like the IMR-2). And that particular vehicle I had to spend some hours essentially working out and modelling how it articulated (dman over complictated Soviet mechanics!), so that - despite at 144th scale it being far too small for it to do so on the physical - all the various mine plows, dozers blades and so on were the right size.

You guys having to do the naked body to get the clothes right is basically the same sort of thing and I find that strangely comforting that I'm not the only one that gets pendantic about Getting It Right. ('Cos I bet you not everyone does it that way.)

And I have a new and professional appeciation for that extra effort!

• Like 1

Especially considering he's walking around butt-naked through entire continents right now.

Which raises the question: Did the ancient Engwithans sculpt a shaft for the statue of Maros Nua?

Which raises another question, if they did, is Eothas perpetually 'rock-hard'?

• Like 3