There are three great ones that I know of. I'm looking to find out more.

Dragon's Dowry with the 75% action speed buff that works for spellcasting speed and recovery time. It's going to be less than 75% in practice, but it's still a lot like the old DAoM. Shame it's on an arquebus, I just can't make my wizard equip it. Weapon swapping is also an... acquired taste.

Chromoprismatic Quarterstaff. Elemental power levels galore and a stacking damage reduction buff. It's a good stat stick, however, it's a better melee weapon imo.

Griffin's Blade. Something I discovered only today, it can be enchanted with +10% spell damage. For Meteor Shower, it's better than Chromoprismatic. And since it's spell damage, it also works for Wilting Wind and all the missile spells, which is just amazing.

Magran's Favor and Sun and Moon deserve a mention for buffing fire and ice power levels.

What else is there? And since Griffin's Blade is (at least right now) imo the best offensive spellcasting weapon, what would pair well in the off-hand?

• Like 1

What else is there? And since Griffin's Blade is (at least right now) imo the best offensive spellcasting weapon, what would pair well in the off-hand?

Debatable, since the power levels of the Chromoprismatic Quarterstaff can be upped to +2 with enchantment (equal to the blade with elemental spells then but with better penetration) while also boosting action speed.

Granted, there's a +action speed sword, but with it you're just back to the same level as with the staff alone. My point being that the staff is at least *just* as good as some sort of dual-wield.

Edited by Yenkaz

Debatable, since the power levels of the Chromoprismatic Quarterstaff can be upped to +2 with enchantment (equal to the blade with elemental spells then but with better penetration) while also boosting action speed.

Granted, there's a +action speed sword, but with it you're just back to the same level as with the staff alone. My point being that the staff is at least *just* as good as some sort of dual-wield.

I had the staff upgraded to +2 power levels. The sword was better with high end spells. The extra elemental power levels is +0.5 pen, and only applies to elemental spells. The staff's action speed only works for melee attacks and recovery, not spell casting speed or spell casting recovery.

1 powerlevel adds 10% damage to blasts

That may be true but when you already have like +70% extra damage through powerlevel or even more when you empower it, the extra 10% from another extra powerlevel is a lot less then a flat +10% damage on top (ends up being +40/50 extra corrode damage on some empowered spells)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm using Griffins blade with a pistol in my wizard. Its very good and looks totally cool. Does anyone know if theres a spellcasting pistol?  Also, is there a difference in using the Griffins blade or the pistol in the offhand?

My second weapon is Amiras Wing which is totally overpowered because you can cast Wilting Wind in early levels. I was having a hard time fighting the Nagas in the lighthouse because of infinite summons that i couldnt manage to kill, then i equiped Amiras and 50% of the room died in a sec (POTD).

1 powerlevel adds 10% damage to blasts

That may be true but when you already have like +70% extra damage through powerlevel or even more when you empower it, the extra 10% from another extra powerlevel is a lot less then a flat +10% damage on top (ends up being +40/50 extra corrode damage on some empowered spells)

How? They're the same thing

• 1 year later...
On 6/19/2018 at 9:57 PM, Myztik said:

How? They're the same thing

It's unclear but I think the Corrosive bonus is multiplicative, not additive.
Powerlevels are additive as they add value to the base damage of the spell every level so if you already have high powerlevel, gaining another one might not be as valuable as gaining 10% flat added damage.

Edited by Methodic Doubt
inverted multiplicative and additive

Griffin's Blade gives your spells additive 10% dmg.

Lashes are multiplicative dmg bonuses. They are calculated based on the complete "primary" dmg you dealt (so to speak). That means that Blightheart will add a 10% multiplicative dmg bonus to your spells, but it has to overcome the target's corrode AR separately.

+1 Power Level adds 5% base damage to offensive abilities (besides the other stuff like PEN and ACC). And that is multiplicative dmg increase as well, but without having to overcome another AR value separately.

For spells this often doesn't make a lot of difference since you can't really mix a lot of additive dmg bonuses with multiplicative ones as you can with weapon attacks. Usually it's only the base dmg of the spell, then the additive bonus of MIG and then you can multiply that with either Blightheart's 10% lash or/and Power Level. If you have a ton of MIG (e.g. being a Helwalker) that can make a difference though. 

Imagine a spell with 100 base damage. You have 30 MIG (+60% additive dmg). That means the spell would do 100 + 60 dmg. With Griffin's Blade you would simply add 10 dmg. Resulting in 170 "primary" dmg. With Blightheart you would take the 160 "primary" dmg and multiply it by 10%. You'll end up with 160 primary and 16 corrosive lash.

Still not the world, but you get the point. If you score a crit it's even better since you'll add 25% more additive dmg. Same with Overpenetration (which mostly occurs in crits). At that point the lash really pays off compared to yet another flat additive bonus.

Same goes for Power Level bonuses. So if you can get a 10% lash (or a +2 PL increase) compared to an additive 10% increase: always take the lash or the Power Levels. Same when you compare stuff like Biting Whip (10% additive) to Eternal Devotion (10% lash).

With weapons + abilities it's more interesting because you usually get a lot more additive modifiers which can then be multiplied by PL and/or lash. This includes weapon quality (fine to legendary or even mythic - or post-mythic with Monk fists), MIG, certain enchantments and stuff like Sneak Attack and whatnot.

Tl;dr: Blightheart and Cromoprismatic Staff are better than Griffin's Blade (if we look at spell dmg improvement).

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Right. You have to take those things into account as well.

By the way: Lance of the Midwood Stag can be used by Ciphers as well. The enchantment that gives you Woodskin (conditionally) also unlocks the +2 PL boost (which is universal). Of course it's better to have a party member who puts a fitting effect on your Cipher (since that's more reliable). 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

*Cough*

Requires either ( Unity Console or CP-Keywords, or both ) and/or Tekehu

Deltro plus Voulge ( druid pref ) plus Storm/Shock Spells.

I ran the Support Theurge build and don't think I ever saw Tekehu get into melee unless swarmed, and that was pre-CP keywords fix. Unity Console simply allows you to make someone else Stormspeaker or Watershaper if you don't like Tekehu.

Turns quite a few of the later game spells into screen wipes. 😄