Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #48 - What's Next?

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

Stephen Unsworth-Mitchell

Stephen Unsworth-Mitchell

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

@algroth

Thanks appreciate.

Word searched and checking multiple times found nothing, followed your link and perfect. 

Mangydog

Mangydog

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 10 posts

complete overhaul of Veteran and Path of the Damned difficulties. You'll find more enemies per encounter

Please don't "just" increase the amount of mobs. This is not what makes combat more fun or difficult... just tedious.

It's not the amount of mobs - but the number of enemies in a given mob (though your point stands that simply having more enemies isn't necessarily more fun/challenging - especially if an AOE is taking them out).  They also mentioned new level-scaling (so each enemy is tougher) - hopefully that'll make the difference (maybe in terms of abilities used by the enemies from being higher level and not just having more HP / hitting harder).

"Mobs" is a term that refers to individual monsters in gaming, separate from the usual definition. It's short for "mobile" and dates back to the earliest days of gaming.

• Silent Winter, Abel and powerofvoid like this

wih

wih

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

complete overhaul of Veteran and Path of the Damned difficulties. You'll find more enemies per encounter

Please don't "just" increase the amount of mobs. This is not what makes combat more fun or difficult... just tedious.

It's not the amount of mobs - but the number of enemies in a given mob (though your point stands that simply having more enemies isn't necessarily more fun/challenging - especially if an AOE is taking them out).  They also mentioned new level-scaling (so each enemy is tougher) - hopefully that'll make the difference (maybe in terms of abilities used by the enemies from being higher level and not just having more HP / hitting harder).

"Mobs" is a term that refers to individual monsters in gaming, separate from the usual definition. It's short for "mobile" and dates back to the earliest days of gaming.

Great. So it is impossible to know what someone means when using that word without asking for definitions first.

Silent Winter

Silent Winter

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1594 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Ah, okay - you learn something every day :)   (my earliest days of gaming were pong and space invaders but we just called the space invaders 'baddies' or 'enemies').  I've heard the term 'mob' used but always assumed it was referring to the group.

*makes mental note to adjust internal pronunciation to 'mob[ile]'*

Edited by Silent Winter, 24 May 2018 - 11:25 PM.

• Noctoi likes this

Ekkyo

Ekkyo

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 59 posts

+1000 !!!

I'm totally agree with this. To increase difficulty, do no just increase the number of ennemies.

1. Increase the use of ennemies' abilities.

2. Increase the use of ennemies' afflictions.

3. Increase ennemies' damages & defenses.

• Reent, esyvjrt, Wormerine and 2 others like this

Daeion

Daeion

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts

More cosmetic option is always great if you ask me.

^ This 

+ Will be awesome to add "miracle mirror" (like in DOS:2 - lady vengeance mirror ) to change your hero (maybe and sidekicks) hair style/color and etc

Kytronix

Kytronix

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts
  • Steam:Kytronix
  • PSN Portable ID:SnipeAssault
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Looking forward to it! :D

Loving the game so far.

Vic20

Vic20

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Great. So it is impossible to know what someone means when using that word without asking for definitions first.

Well.  Most of us here have played at least one MMO at one point, and monsters have been referred to as "mobs" in every MMO since at least EverQuest.  Maybe earlier.  Meridian, UOA, etc.  Not sure.

Anywho.  Why is it that this is starting to feel like an early access game all of a sudden.  Quests aren't working.  Level scaling isn't working.  Gear enchants are bugged.  And now content that seems like it was probably meant to be included at launch is being released a couple weeks later as "free DLC".  I'm not exactly complaining, as I do love the game so far.  But now I'm bummed that I already started my 2nd play-through (stopped the first at around level 12 because Veteran was too easy).  Now they're saying there's about to be more content.  More items.  More ship stuff.  More companions.  But not, like, a real content patch with more quests.  Just... More stuff you'd want access to on your first play-through.  It's weird.

Edited by Vic20, 25 May 2018 - 12:07 AM.

• Alienka, Noctoi, Owlbear and 1 other like this

Hoo

Hoo

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 95 posts

So... don't they consider any balancing-related patch, such as Weapons, Classes, Abilities, Attributes, etc., in 2018?......

Edited by Hoo, 25 May 2018 - 01:00 AM.

• Noctoi likes this

Messier-31

Messier-31

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2236 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

So... don't they consider any balancing-related patch, such as Weapons, Classes, Abilities, Attributes, etc., in 2018?......

Just like the first Pillars of Eternity, the team is committed to support Deadfire with new features, content, bug fixes, and polish to make the game the best it can be. We are listening to your feedback on our forums, Reddit, social media, and user reviews - and the development team has many ideas for improvement, too. Through 2018, we have plans to add more quality of life changes to make the game better and better.

Edited by Messier-31, 25 May 2018 - 01:16 AM.

• Abel, draego, Skazz and 3 others like this

evilcat

evilcat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 909 posts

Inreasing number of enemies, does not always help. It may only change party for more aoe characters.

What is problem:

Abilities which proc to infinity.

Abilities giving inmortality.

Specific items which are much better (generally about procing).

Very easy to get PL from Ascension Potion.

The way high power spells scale with PL. It should be "All spells start at level 0 with base power, and then each level powers them up" (normally it is +9PL from pure class.

Enemies seems to have to little health, making them too easy to one shot with blast.

Buffs, debuffs are waste of effort, since they have long casting time, and short duration. And it is easy to just kill.

Enemies hit hard enought.

That is for starter.

• Camonge likes this

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5383 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
I think you guys are clinging too much onto a single sentence meant to be an example of what the team are doing, rather than exhaust it.

Josh has already mentioned on SA, Twitter and Tumblr that he’s revising class abilities and weapons, and that they’re reducing the impact of Empower.

They said they’re listening to the feedback and they have telemetry data to top it, so there’s no reason to assume increasing the number of enemies is all they’re on to.

With that said, facing a higher number of foes than on other difficulty settings was a staple of PotD in the first game so it makes sense for it to a thing in Deadfire too.
  • Suen, Kirinaldo, kanisatha and 12 others like this

Torm51

Torm51

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1750 posts
  • Steam:extol51
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

micro stutter for me has been an issue in both games.  While very playable, it is a diabolical issue I have with the game.  I do not think I will ever fix it.

Camonge

Camonge

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • Steam:gnomoguru

I think you guys are clinging too much onto a single sentence meant to be an example of what the team are doing, rather than exhaust it.

Josh has already mentioned on SA, Twitter and Tumblr that he’s revising class abilities and weapons, and that they’re reducing the impact of Empower.

They said they’re listening to the feedback and they have telemetry data to top it, so there’s no reason to assume increasing the number of enemies is all they’re on to.

With that said, facing a higher number of foes than on other difficulty settings was a staple of PotD in the first game so it makes sense for it to a thing in Deadfire too.

Yeah let's take a deep breath here. I do not want to believe infinite reproc and empower extravaganza are going to remain unchanged. Level scaling and # of enemies are the basics, you do not need a month to fix those.

Fishermang

Fishermang

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts

Hello.

You state that there will be a reballance for the two difficulty levels: veteran and path of the damned.

I have a question: for those of us who are now playing path of the damned and find it just adequate in difficulty, will the update allow us to switch back to i.e. Veteran difficulty after the patch? Because I fear that the new update will be too difficult, and I simply can't afford to spend more time to restart the game and retrack all the choices I have already made. 

lautasantenni

lautasantenni

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

Cheers!

The veteran mode was a bit too easy. There was no Adra Dragon -kind of fight like in first one, where you really needed to think your strategy.

I hope you'll increase the level cap once the DLCs come out? Would love to reach epic type levels, like in Neverwinter Nights 2: MotB.

Also, the ship to ship combat is a bit... confusing. Would appreciate some visual cues or something to explain what is going on.

PS.

The romance option wee a nice addition, thanks! Too bad Pallegina was not included she always looked someone needing of some loving, oh well. x3

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5040 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Avast patch, me hearties.

• draego and Spoting like this

Gary1986

Gary1986

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 508 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Look for the next free DLC to be available two weeks from now

So we can expect the next big patch to be due on that day also then, considering that day will be early June?

Edited by Gary1986, 25 May 2018 - 09:03 AM.

• Noctoi likes this

sacomer1s

sacomer1s

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I would really like the companion relationship system to work properly.

• Noctoi likes this

fly2fishs

fly2fishs

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 29 posts

will the bug that the loss of abilities of main character from reroll be fixed in the near future?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users