It isn't meta gaming when the game tells all this to the character in the very beginning of the game, and throughout the game, just because you don't pay attention to the same things i do in my games, in your games doesn't mean that the game isn't flawed, and just because i have different ideas and preferences than you do doesn't mean that i am excluding other possibilities, it just means that to me proper structure matters a lot, ( and maybe because it matters to me i am more aware of such things than people that don't care about it ) the fact that you instantly turn to petty insults instead of properly debating me tells me you have no leg to stand on, i have highlighted several good points to you, and you keep ignoring them and tell me i am meta gaming, or that i am imagining things, maybe you are the one with problems seeing other peoples perspectives.

other than your point about white marches, the rest of your argument doesn't track. i was in the middle of 2 playthroughs and had just started another when deadfire launched. and as far as i can tell, your just voicing an opinion and treating as a fact. and simply saying your wrong, over and over again doesn't make it so.

---edit

and i resorted to a mild insult because you were annoying me. not because "i don't have a leg to stand on".

Edited by Casper
  • Like 1

Yesterday, upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish he'd go away... -Hughes Mearns

It isn't meta gaming when the game tells all this to the character in the very beginning of the game, and throughout the game, just because you don't pay attention to the same things i do in my games, in your games doesn't mean that the game isn't flawed, and just because i have different ideas and preferences than you do doesn't mean that i am excluding other possibilities, it just means that to me proper structure matters a lot, ( and maybe because it matters to me i am more aware of such things than people that don't care about it ) the fact that you instantly turn to petty insults instead of properly debating me tells me you have no leg to stand on, i have highlighted several good points to you, and you keep ignoring them and tell me i am meta gaming, or that i am imagining things, maybe you are the one with problems seeing other peoples perspectives.

other than your point about white marches, the rest of your argument doesn't track. i was in the middle of 2 playthroughs and had just started another when deadfire launched. and as far as i can tell, your just voicing an opinion and treating as a fact. and simply saying your wrong, over and over again doesn't make it so.

So in other words your opinions are facts and mine are opinions that are wrong.... has it occurred to you that the reason i am seeing a problem and you aren't, is because we have different preferences in RPGs? i have played Pillars several times as well, but i still suck at the combat portion of the game, does that mean that i should think that no one can possibly be better than me at the combat because i have played the game several times? this is the logic you are applying to this, different people will notice different things about any form of media, and i have consistently stated that these are my opinions, not facts, i am open to the possibility that i may have missed something that makes the structure make sense, but i have not seen it yet.

If i were to insult and judge everyone that annoyed me i would waste a lot of time every day doing that, why are you so annoyed by the fact that there are people with different opinions than you? is the fact that i am seeing some problems with some Obsidian games going to make some impact on your life? are you all of a sudden going to not love Pillars one and 2? 

Edited by Huh

So in other words your opinions are facts and mine are opinions that are wrong.... has it occurred to you that the reason i am seeing a problem and you aren't, is because we have different preferences in RPGs? i have played Pillars several times as well, but i still suck at the combat portion of the game, does that mean that i should think that no one can possibly be better than me at the combat because i have played the game several times? this is the logic you are applying to this, different people will notice different things about any form of media, and i have consistently stated that these are my opinions, not facts, i am open to the possibility that i may have missed something that makes the structure make sense, but i have not seen it yet.

If i were to insult and judge everyone that annoyed me i would waste a lot of time every day doing that, why are you so annoyed by the fact that there are people with different opinions than you? is the fact that i am seeing some problems with some Obsidian games going to make some impact on your life? are you all of a sudden going to not love Pillars one and 2? 

never said my opinions were anything other then opinions, never said yours were wrong either. however, at several points you have claimed my opinions were wrong, using your own opinions and stating them as facts to undermine mine.

• Like 2

Yesterday, upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish he'd go away... -Hughes Mearns

never said my opinions were anything other then opinions, never said yours were wrong either. however, at several points you have claimed my opinions were wrong, using your own opinions and stating them as facts to undermine mine.

At no point did i claim that everything i said was factual, and the very few "opinions" i stated as facts where facts, they are part of the main story of the game, read the text in the game and you will see that, what did you do when you played this game? did you just skip all the non voiced dialogue? or even the voiced dialogue? i give up, believe what you want, i am just wasting my time here if you don't even bother checking my points before you claim they are false.

Edited by Huh

The "opinions" i stated as facts where facts, they are part of the main story of the game, read the text in the game and you will see that, what did you do when you played this game? did you just skip all the non voiced dialogue? i give up, believe what you want, if you don't even bother checking my points before you claim they are false i am just wasting my time here.

i'm tired (it's like 7am here), my blood sugar is probably low, and a bunch of other stuff that i'm took tired to go into, and you likely care not to hear. so, i'll say this then hit the sack.

a fact is... "in the beginning of the game eder says maerwald's a watcher too, and he's at this old keep". that is a fact (might have been one you mentioned, if not i think that's even correct, well was using it as an example not a fact per-say).  

saying something like "npcs, they tell you those kind of things all the time"... not a fact, an opinion. i'm done. this just goes round and round. and i'm tired and cranky.

• Like 1

The "opinions" i stated as facts where facts, they are part of the main story of the game, read the text in the game and you will see that, what did you do when you played this game? did you just skip all the non voiced dialogue? i give up, believe what you want, if you don't even bother checking my points before you claim they are false i am just wasting my time here.

i'm tired (it's like 7am here), my blood sugar is probably low, and a bunch of other stuff that i'm took tired to go into, and you likely care not to hear. so, i'll say this then hit the sack.

a fact is... "in the beginning of the game eder says maerwald's a watcher too, and he's at this old keep". that is a fact (might have been one you mentioned, if not i think that's even correct, well was using it as an example not a fact per-say).  

saying something like "npcs, they tell you those kind of things all the time"... not a fact, an opinion. i'm done. this just goes round and round. and i'm tired and cranky.

The dwarf animancer in the tree in the gilded vale tells you that and more when you talk to her after you had the dream in the inn, you know... the weird dream that should imo push you to talk to her, did you not talk to her? this is pretty basic main quest info to miss, especially if you played through the game 4 times, and partially 3 other times, and i never specifically mentioned that NPCs sometimes telling you stuff was the only way, or even a good way of getting in character info for the main quest.

Edited by Huh

You learn pretty quickly about Maerwald but it’s not very urgent at that point, just something the watcher should probably do relatively soon. It does get pretty urgent after that. What is interesting is that the time sensitivity of the main quest in Pillars 1 was complained about and I would swear it was said during development that the main quest would be far less time sensitive in Deadfire.

You learn pretty quickly about Maerwald but it’s not very urgent at that point, just something the watcher should probably do relatively soon. It does get pretty urgent after that. What is interesting is that the time sensitivity of the main quest in Pillars 1 was complained about and I would swear it was said during development that the main quest would be far less time sensitive in Deadfire.

In my opinion it is very urgent to get info about your weird condition that should freak you out in character, but this is debatable though, so this is one way of actually side stepping the main quest for a little while if you play a different type of character than i tend to, nice catch :) if the last bit you say is true, then i am slightly confused by their design choices with Pillars 2.

I just figured Eothas' travel time takes forever. He is a giant statue that is walking on the ocean floor. It isnt likely flat terrain on the ocean bottom, and he is moving through water. Thus he is moving slowly because of physics, he may need to meander to get from point A to B because of terrain, and he isnt running on full batteries anyway since he keeps having to stop to recharge.

Think Statue of Liberty in Ghostbusters 2. But the trip is from Manhattan to South Carolina. A ship travelling on the high seas will move significantly faster than Eothas. Thus you have time before he gets to his destination, and I see it as you are nipping at his heels anyway.

I prefer less urgent stories, but it isnt as bad as I think many making it out to be. Scotty isnt beaming him to his next location. You have time.

Edited by Ganrich
  • Like 4

I just figured Eothas' travel time takes forever. He is a giant statue that is walking on the ocean floor. It isnt likely flat terrain on the ocean bottom, and he is moving through water. Thus he is moving slowly because of physics, he may need to meander to get from point A to B because of terrain, and he isnt running on full batteries anyway since he keeps having to stop to recharge.

Think Statue of Liberty in Ghostbusters 2. But the trip is from Manhattan to South Carolina. A ship travelling on the high seas will move significantly faster than Eothas. Thus you have time before he gets to his destination, and I see it as you are nipping at his heels anyway.

I prefer less urgent stories, but it isnt as bad as I think many making it out to be. Scotty isnt beaming him to his next location. You have time.

To some extent that can help explain some of it, but we are traveling a lot all over the region back and forth and doing a lot of stuff in each location as well, it still seems like he would be way ahead of us, even if i am following a turtle i am going to lose the race if i travel back and forth 500 times while the turtle is steadily moving towards his goal, and because Eothas is so big he could be less affected by any terrain than we might think, i mean, he did pull himself up from under Caed Nua, tthat would take a lot of strength and flexibility, as long as the dlc is post game i can make up some excuses for the main quest, but i don't think they will do that, one way of improving the time sensitive main quest could also be to release dlc that specifically involves Eothas, maybe he could be destroying or using some old submerged engwithan tech or magic for some reason, we saw that submerged ruin just off the coast of sayuka that was messing with the sea creatures around it, maybe there were other weird things like that around that Eothas wanted to destroy before he did his big thing, just some ideas to add to yours, i am feeling a little better about the game after seeing some of the ideas you people have :) i still think that ending the game after the main quest is bad game design when two of the bigger selling points are exploration and lots of content though, i would personally love to see a dlc that gives us the option of playing as someone other than the watcher, have completely different companions or even go for a similar system to Icewind Dale where we make our own party, i like games where i can be some semi normal person in these amazing worlds, rather than the chosen one of the gods or some other extremely important person.

Edited by Huh

I guess it is my old MMO questing habit of "grab every quest I can at this hub, go do all those quests, return and get reward" that keeps me from traveling too much.  I have all but one bounty for the first guy in the WIld Mare done by the time I hit Neketaka, for instance.  I literally just show up and turn in bounties.  This is because almost all his bounties are en route to Neketaka from Maje save the one on the Neketaka main island.  Then I clear district by district of Neketaka of quests that don't require leaving the city before talking to the Queen.  So, from an RP standpoint, I don't even know where Eothas is at that point and since most of that stuff is local it only takes a few in game days.  Once I get the mission to Hosongo I clear stuff in that area, do Hosongo, return to queen, and hit a different small town depending on factions and the like.  This gives me plenty of time from an RP standpoint.  So, perhaps I could be accused of gaming it a bit via old gaming habits.  However, I look at my deviations on my way to Neketaka as looking for signs that Eothas may have passed through there.  Similarly, I look at Hosongo/Maw distractions as trying to cut Eothas off.  It would be better if they had a few more main quest missions, and Eothas was a little more all over the map for whatever reason.  That way, you can easily justify exploring the area much easier.  The only areas I think are problematic are the southern and Eastern sections of the map, and maybe the North West. 

Either way, I do not think the urgency is too bad, but to each their own.

• Like 4

I guess it is my old MMO questing habit of "grab every quest I can at this hub, go do all those quests, return and get reward" that keeps me from traveling too much.  I have all but one bounty for the first guy in the WIld Mare done by the time I hit Neketaka, for instance.  I literally just show up and turn in bounties.  This is because almost all his bounties are en route to Neketaka from Maje save the one on the Neketaka main island.  Then I clear district by district of Neketaka of quests that don't require leaving the city before talking to the Queen.  So, from an RP standpoint, I don't even know where Eothas is at that point and since most of that stuff is local it only takes a few in game days.  Once I get the mission to Hosongo I clear stuff in that area, do Hosongo, return to queen, and hit a different small town depending on factions and the like.  This gives me plenty of time from an RP standpoint.  So, perhaps I could be accused of gaming it a bit via old gaming habits.  However, I look at my deviations on my way to Neketaka as looking for signs that Eothas may have passed through there.  Similarly, I look at Hosongo/Maw distractions as trying to cut Eothas off.  It would be better if they had a few more main quest missions, and Eothas was a little more all over the map for whatever reason.  That way, you can easily justify exploring the area much easier.  The only areas I think are problematic are the southern and Eastern sections of the map, and maybe the North West. 

Either way, I do not think the urgency is too bad, but to each their own.

I think you have a different play style than me then :) i keep thinking that talking to the queen is my top priority the second i reach Neketaka, and then i am instantly told that Eothas is already at Hasongo, so i feel i need to fly over there asap to not get killed by Berath for not following her orders, and also to find out wtf is going on with my soul and what Eothas is actually doing, so i do that, and then i hear he is headed for the Ashen maw and will only remain there for a short time before leaving, making me hurry over there so Berath doesn't kill me off and have me replaced or something, for me it's the combination of Eothas moving towards his goal while i am behind him at every turn, and we sleep a lot, and he probably doesn't sleep, that is another advantage for him, and the fact that Berath has me enslaved for the purpose of following Eothas and gather info about him, if we weren't a slave to Berath and if Eothas hadn't taken some of my soul or whatever he did, i would have less of a reason to follow Eothas so quickly, i think my new head cannon is going to be that he is using a lot of time powering up from lots of different adra pillars on the way to his goal, and that he is also destroying several old engwithan facilities before he finishes his last goal at the end of the game, that would give me some breathing room to do some more of the quests than i am currently doing at least, it's not great, but it's a lot better than before at least, and who knows, maybe Obsidian will come out with some dlc that helps as well.

Edited by Huh

The dwarf animancer in the tree in the gilded vale tells you that and more when you talk to her after you had the dream in the inn, you know... the weird dream that should push you to talk to her, did you not talk to her? this is pretty basic main quest info to miss, and i never specifically mentioned that NPCs sometimes telling you stuff was the only way, or even a good way of getting in character info for the main quest.

i was just going to drop this argument as it's going nowhere and will continue to do so, but just about every word out of your mouth has been irking me, so here we are. after this think i'm done with this thread.

you've made several statements that are fairly similar these ones up here, and you've have basically proved my insult true. if i don't see the same urgency, desperation, and feel the same exact way about every conversation as you do, i've either never talked to key characters important to the story, or have skipped the dialogue completely.

so if i don't think like you, see the same conversations the same way you do, or attach the same sense of urgency as you -- i'm either missing key plot elements or i am simply wrong. 

and just about every point you've made is just an opinion. and you're trying to back them up with more opinions, and trying to pose them all as facts driven in stone.. i'm done with this thread now. bye folks. 

• Like 5

The dwarf animancer in the tree in the gilded vale tells you that and more when you talk to her after you had the dream in the inn, you know... the weird dream that should push you to talk to her, did you not talk to her? this is pretty basic main quest info to miss, and i never specifically mentioned that NPCs sometimes telling you stuff was the only way, or even a good way of getting in character info for the main quest.

i was just going to drop this argument as it's going nowhere and will continue to do so, but just about every word out of your mouth has been irking me, so here we are. after this think i'm done with this thread.

you've made several statements that are fairly similar these ones up here, and you've have basically proved my insult true. if i don't see the same urgency, desperation, and feel the same exact way about every conversation as you do, i've either never talked to key characters important to the story, or have skipped the dialogue completely.

so if i don't think like you, see the same conversations the same way you do, or attach the same sense of urgency as you -- i'm either missing key plot elements or i am simply wrong. 

and just about every point you've made is just an opinion. and you're trying to back them up with more opinions, and trying to pose them all as facts driven in stone.. i'm done with this thread now. bye folks. 

I have added imo to a lot of my opinions in my comments to be clearer.

Edited by Huh

Agree. Currently doing a PoE 1 playthrough. You can take the "urgent" things very seriously or you can help out companions and any groups you find having trouble and feel justified either way. That seems like the best way to accommodate most tastes. I generally don't like what I would call speed runs, but I might want to do something like that next time and I can.

I think good RPG developers only produce the "movie." Each player gets to direct it and approve the script :thumbsup: (more or less :ermm: ). It can be a breathless action movie first then a slowly building "the world is going to end but not tomorrow" drama next play-through. :bow:

as far i can recall... you learned about your condition somewhat slowly, just as you learn about thaos & the leaden key a little bit at a time, sure you could make connective leaps a head of time, but there was pacing. there wasn't this "OMG!!! we have to stop some idiot from doing something insane!" moment at the very start of the game. yes, there was ominous stuff going on, but things weren't really clear. and it took time for such things to become clear. at least from the main character's perspective. 

Edited by playerone
  • Like 1

So is this first DLC meant to be out soon, or am I going senile? 

The first DLC for sale was scheduled for July last we heard (they are estimates, but the first DLC is likely to be the most reliable estimate). The second free DLC was scheduled for this week last we heard (eg. in the update this thread is about).

• Like 1

Ah, so that's the appearance, ship upgrades, crew mates and such that's due soon. And then story next month. 

Well that's not long to wait for cool things. Appearance mods should be cool. Portrait selection was a little limited (great art, but hard to squeeze a less typical character concept into)

Doesn't seem like the Rum Runner is available for GOG in anyway.

I have the game on GOG and I have the Rum Runner DLC installed (I use Galaxy).

I don't use galaxy and I also have the Rum Runner DLC on gog.

'buy' it for free from:

https://www.gog.com/game/pillars_of_eternity_ii_deadfire_rum_runners_pack

then find it in your library under the main game DLC section.

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat: