So an update? ;)

Also, I've never seen Bracers of Deflection in any of my playthroughs.

Happily, there is now a place you can reliably buy them: one of the merchants in the crucible (in the SSS DLC) sells them.

Ah, excellent. I haven't done the SSS DLC yet. Can you go into the area, just buy stuff, and back out?

Well, there is one tough-ish fight (which you can avoid with the right mix of skills/backgrounds/reputations), and a follow up skill/attribute challenge to get into the crucible itself. But those are the only obstacles.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Updated to 3.0.

Because the various nerfs the RP part is gone and we're left with the min-max build able to solo in PotD... The build is still solid and becomes better and better as you level, but potions are required from time to time.

• Like 1

So an update? ;)

I got the +7 deflection bracers as reward for the lone survivor quest in the tunnels under the gullet when you take the lift down. If you help him escape you will find him in port maje. I talked to him twice and got the bracers

• Like 2

So an update? ;)

I got the +7 deflection bracers as reward for the lone survivor quest in the tunnels under the gullet when you take the lift down. If you help him escape you will find him in port maje. I talked to him twice and got the bracers

I've never even gotten this quest. Is there a name for it?

So an update? ;)

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Lone_Survivor

• Like 1

So an update? ;)

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Lone_Survivor

Thanks much!

So an update? ;)

Interesting - I've only gotten cloaks of protection from that quest. Maybe there's a variable reward? 

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Replaced Lethandria's Devotion from the 2nd setup with Toutilo's Palm which has great synergy with this build.

Using Tuotilo's Palm greatly increases our attack speed (we benefit fom dual wielding and Two Weapon Style bonuses), adds 20% chance to riposte (this is a free hit with the shield which benefits from Monastic Training for increased damage, accuracy and penetration) and of course superior defenses. There's absolutely no drawbacks for our dps since we will always spam Soul Annihilation (thanks to Sun and Moon double hits) and use only the main hand (flail) for damage.

PS. The same combo can be even more effective on a soulblade/rogue who benefits from greater damage bonuses...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

@Kaylon hey Kaylon, would Soulblade just plainly be better with Trickster than paladin? Since you get sneak attack + deathblow bonus which makes your Soul Annihilation stronger. Tricksters also has higher deflection due to Mirror Image. Also Riposte combos good with Soulblade/Trickster.

Any reason to multipleclass a paladin instead of trickster here? Maybe because of the extra armor and healing which is good for soloing?

Edit: I tested it seems Sworn Rival's damage bonus does not work with Soul Annihilation for some reason.

Edited by dunehunter

One reason could be: If you get hit by Arcane Dampener you are screwed. ;) Also: no healing.

For a party I think Trickster/Soulblade is awesome though.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 3 months later...

The mechanics of Soul Annihilation + Whispers of the Endless Paths have changed. It no longer dumps its focus on first target and regains focus with the AoE hits. Instead it applies raw damage in an obscure way to all AoE hits. All in all it is more damage per Soul Annihilation but you will be at 0 focus after using it. But with WotEP against several enemies your regain focus very quickly (Draining Whip) - So all in all still a good combo. Offensive Parry hasn't changed. 

Also some items have changed (Cloak of Greater Deflection now stacks with Bracers of Greater Deflection) or are new (patches, DLCs).

One Ring (Entonia Signet) gives you +2 to all defenses for every enemy who engages you (NOT whom you engage). This is very useful on PotD solo (as long as the enemies can engage - many beasts cannot even if they are going into melee). It is useless if you become immune to engagement.

And so on. Maybe check the wiki to see if there are new items that fit the idea even better.

Edited by Boeroer

3 hours ago, jools1980 said:

Has anyone tested this with 5.0? Seems like a great build and I'd like to give it a go for a TCS attempt...

It definitely works with 5.0, it is still great. However, the actual question is how far do you want to take this build ...

- Do you just want to finish the game TCS mode and get the achievement ? Then sure. The game can be completed without taking a single fight, so.

- Do you want to play casually ? Means discovering, doing random bounties and exploring the whole Deadfire ? Then I would say doing everything of this as TCS is possible to a certain extent. Most likely you will fail at the mega bosses, but they are an own category ... For everything else in the game you are good to go, imo.

Edited by Tenray
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Tenray said:

It definitely works with 5.0, it is still great. However, the actual question is how far do you want to take this build ...

- Do you just want to finish the game TCS mode and get the achievement ? Then sure. The game can be completed without taking a single fight, so.

- Do you want to play casually ? Means discovering, doing random bounties and exploring the whole Deadfire ? Then I would say doing everything of this as TCS is possible to a certain extent. Most likely you will fail at the mega bosses, but they are an own category ... For everything else in the game you are good to go, imo.

Hmmm, I just tried it a bit in test-TCS (everything on except the ToI thing), and I died a bloody lot. Like you said, if it's just for the achievement, one could just cheese through the game with most builds really, avoiding all/most fights and just sneaking through everything basically. I'm not sure this build is for me, although TBH, I never played a cipher before so maybe there's stuff I need to get used to or just better at. And maybe I could tweak the build a bit (it's way too fragile as is, and Maje island is especially punishing), or just get the "+2 to all stats" BB (I haven't yet, but I reckon it would make things a lot better?)...

As to your question, I myself am not really sure what I want XD . Yeah I'd like the achievement but I'd also like to enjoy playing the game, so a bit of both I guess? Megabosses aren't my thing so yeah, never mind those.

I suppose I'll keep looking.

I’m selling these fine leather jackets.

I don't know how much experience with solo PotD you have - but every build is difficult in the early game. Port Maje (Gorecci Street) and the Digsite are very hard. You simply lack good abilites and items that would give you an edge. Most solo builds become easier once you reached Neketaka and leveled a bit without fighting too much. Some key components get unlocked (for example Borrowed Insticts which is important for this build) and suddenly it's way easier. Also you have more freedom in picking your fights. 

Something which is more easy than most builds in the early game is Arcane Knight if you pick some self buffs and Chillfog. Fighter is also a bit easier because of the good starting values. I also find Cipher quite good if you start right with a club + proficiency because -25 Will is enormous if you can then reliably land a Whisper of Treason. Mind Control usually takes away one enemy which then functions as throw-away-tank for you. 

Also Ranger feels easier because you'll have an additional body + high accuracy. 

That doesn't mean that those builds that feel easier early on will shine later though.  

Edited by Boeroer

5 minutes ago, jools1980 said:

Hmmm, I just tried it a bit in test-TCS (everything on except the ToI thing), and I died a bloody lot. Like you said, if it's just for the achievement, one could just cheese through the game with most builds really, avoiding all/most fights and just sneaking through everything basically. I'm not sure this build is for me, although TBH, I never played a cipher before so maybe there's stuff I need to get used to or just better at. And maybe I could tweak the build a bit (it's way too fragile as is, and Maje island is especially punishing), or just get the "+2 to all stats" BB (I haven't yet, but I reckon it would make things a lot better?)...

As to your question, I myself am not really sure what I want XD . Yeah I'd like the achievement but I'd also like to enjoy playing the game, so a bit of both I guess? Megabosses aren't my thing so yeah, never mind those.

I suppose I'll keep looking.

You should not judge too early about a build. Most builds are not working before they get some of their core abilities. Playing TCS will almost always be something like: "avoid every fight possible and collect exp until lvl x", simply because there is no other way. 

Doing tactical plays like pulling mobs into a corner or fighting in a narrow corridor is neccessary when you play solo. There is no build that starts on lvl 1 and can just run in brain afk mode and facetank everything, especially not on PotD. I really do get your point! You want to play it as you feel without thinking too much about mistakes you have maybe made. You want to compensate that by being tanky, but unfortunatelly that is not how PoE works.

There are certain encounters, that need good preparation. If you start the fight with wrong equipment, wrong buffs or forgot to buy the proper potions you will most likely fail regardless of how tanky your character is.

However, if you really want a build that can afk facetank everything, being almost invincible to everything, play one of the builds I used for my Ultimate run. But that doesn't really belong here in this discussion.

12 minutes ago, Tenray said:

You should not judge too early about a build. Most builds are not working before they get some of their core abilities. Playing TCS will almost always be something like: "avoid every fight possible and collect exp until lvl x", simply because there is no other way. 

Doing tactical plays like pulling mobs into a corner or fighting in a narrow corridor is neccessary when you play solo. There is no build that starts on lvl 1 and can just run in brain afk mode and facetank everything, especially not on PotD. I really do get your point! You want to play it as you feel without thinking too much about mistakes you have maybe made. You want to compensate that by being tanky, but unfortunatelly that is not how PoE works.

There are certain encounters, that need good preparation. If you start the fight with wrong equipment, wrong buffs or forgot to buy the proper potions you will most likely fail regardless of how tanky your character is.

However, if you really want a build that can afk facetank everything, being almost invincible to everything, play one of the builds I used for my Ultimate run. But that doesn't really belong here in this discussion.

Yeah, today I completed my first solo+potd run (paladin/fighter), and I did learn the hard way about all of that. Positioning, bottlenecks, rest bonuses, potions, encounter-specific gearing, all matters a lot, in this game mode.

I should mention that I exclusively play turn-based mode, btw, which also adds a layer of thought to everything.

So, would it be viable to roll a character one way (like, more balanced) get past Maje, and then respec it (does ToI allow that, btw)? 

As per your ultimate builds, where can I find them? (feel free DM me if you wish, since it's OT)

I’m selling these fine leather jackets.