Faction's of DEATH, AKA: Why do pirates have the moral high ground?

if you're wondering why i'm so confident about my definition of fascism it's because i did a paper about it in high-school spent i lot of time studying (as i'm a bit of a perfectionist), it kind of stuck too.

Doesn't fill me with much confidence. Come back to me on this when you have a degree in the field.

if i new more about how the RDC was organized, and how it functioned i might have an easier time labeling it a fascist regime. they are militaristic, though it doesn't seem like a police state, nor do i know for sure it's an actual dictatorship, however, i assume it is, i'd just like to know more. 

Yesterday, upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish he'd go away... -Hughes Mearns

if you're wondering why i'm so confident about my definition of fascism it's because i did a paper about it in high-school spent i lot of time studying (as i'm a bit of a perfectionist), it kind of stuck too.

Doesn't fill me with much confidence. Come back to me on this when you have a degree in the field.

if i new more about how the RDC was organized, and how it functioned i might have an easier time labeling it a fascist regime. they are militaristic, though it doesn't seem like a police state, nor do i know for sure it's an actual dictatorship, however, i assume it is, i'd just like to know more. 

There's some lore available:

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Rauatai

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Royal_Deadfire_Company

There's some lore available:

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Rauatai

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Royal_Deadfire_Company

based on the info provided in the links, i've come to the conclusion that...

the royal deadfire company, or should i say the Rauatain Empire is close to being a fascist state, though currently... right now it's just a military dictatorship. (which is not strictly fascism)

however, i'm just a guy with a high-school level understanding of fascism... though, i'd say that's likely the best we'll manage unless someone studying... what? political sciences? graces us with their presence and knowledge.  

---edit typo (im just tired)

Edited by Casper
  • Like 2

Yesterday, upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish he'd go away... -Hughes Mearns

The Rauatains seem less like facist's and more like old-school mercantalists, IMHO. Like the 16th century Dutch, which of course...makes sense.

I dunno about Dutch, but RDC in particular already passes most of the fascism checklist.

from my prospective the extent of your argument was basically: it's their right to be fascists if they want to, and the situation is fine as is, because it's their job to fix it themselves. even if the oppressed are unable to do so. 

Clearly my definition of fascism differs from yours. But I see this word being thrown at most factions here without much thought.

And also, before accusing anybody of oppression you should check out Indian Hinduism and its relation to their caste system to get a clearer impression of how Huana people view their life.

...you are aware that the Indian caste system is generally regarded as a great evil that even India is desperately trying to get rid of? That discrimination based on caste is officially outlawed in India and it's only maintained through an informal system of social expectations and taboos? And that the caste system as we know it today traces it's origin to British Colonial rule and isn't actually a historical facet of India?

Because all these things are important to know.

Did I say I view Indian caste system as good? I said look it up for reference. Because then a person can get a better understanding why the Huana people are accepting to live within this system and not revolting. Though I think it was pretty well explained even within the game.

Right, but my point is that the Indian caste system doesn't actually translate very well to the Huana--although the Untouchables are probably the closest thing in the real world to the Roparu.

What *I've* been trying to point out is that while their may not be open revolt among the Roparu, the experiences in the Gullet very clearly show deepening anger, resentment, bitterness, and building tensions. Their is no revolt, but the *conditions* for a revolt do exist. If the starvation problem isn't solved, it's a real possibility in the future.

Right, but my point is that the Indian caste system doesn't actually translate very well to the Huana--although the Untouchables are probably the closest thing in the real world to the Roparu.

What *I've* been trying to point out is that while their may not be open revolt among the Roparu, the experiences in the Gullet very clearly show deepening anger, resentment, bitterness, and building tensions. Their is no revolt, but the *conditions* for a revolt do exist. If the starvation problem isn't solved, it's a real possibility in the future.

I've already expressed my opinion about that on the previous page:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/100754-factions-of-death-aka-why-do-pirates-have-the-moral-high-ground/?p=2039538

And on this one:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/100754-factions-of-death-aka-why-do-pirates-have-the-moral-high-ground/?p=2039558

Edited by Aramintai

think i even mentioned something like that in an earlier post.

think i even mentioned something like that in an earlier post.

So, back to the earlier discussion. What about you? Given the lore info you've read, are you ok with RDC completely assimilating Huana into Rauataian culture by force? Or them facing current realities, do you think Huana'd better evolve their political system on their own by seeing other cultures as examples?

Edited by Aramintai

well, in theory it would be best for huana civilization to adapt to current situational changes of their own accord... however, allowing their caste system to persist well past it's prime... has actually lead or was leading to destabilization on it's own, though that's really besides the point...

i'm rather neutral about the morality of the issues involved in foreign intervention under these circumstances. i can see it turning either way.

I've already expressed my opinion about that on the previous page:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/100754-factions-of-death-aka-why-do-pirates-have-the-moral-high-ground/?p=2039538

And on this one:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/100754-factions-of-death-aka-why-do-pirates-have-the-moral-high-ground/?p=2039558

Right. But then you keep saying things like this.

Because then a person can get a better understanding why the Huana people are accepting to live within this system and not revolting.

When the game makes it pretty clear that the Huana people aren't actually very accepting to live within this system and revolt is a very real possibility. As with most groups of oppressed people, as long as things are going ok and everybody has enough food and a decent place to live, they'll grumble but mostly deal with thier lives. But when things get bad, like on Tikawara, they start to question their position and the system. And when things get *really* bad, like in the Gullet, you can almost feel that bitterness and rage welling up.

Their is not any particular acceptance of their position among the Roparu, not to any notable extent beyond that of any other oppressed class. In Ondra's Gift, the poorest of the poor mostly went on with their lives and just tried to survive...until they turned into an angry mob and started burning people. Granted that was manipulated by Thaos and mostly had to do with the fear, despair, and anger from Waidwen's Legacy, but those emotions are already present in a deep societal level in places like the Gullet.

• Like 2

When the game makes it pretty clear that the Huana people aren't actually very accepting to live within this system and revolt is a very real possibility. As with most groups of oppressed people, as long as things are going ok and everybody has enough food and a decent place to live, they'll grumble but mostly deal with thier lives. But when things get bad, like on Tikawara, they start to question their position and the system. And when things get *really* bad, like in the Gullet, you can almost feel that bitterness and rage welling up.

There is a possibility of revolt, yes, but nothing even begins in the game. I'd personally love for them to revolt, but as I've said before - the caste system makes lower castes submissive, because it is deeply ingrained in their culture through religion and belief in preferential reincarnation.

Edited by Aramintai

So, back to the earlier discussion. What about you? Given the lore info you've read, are you ok with RDC completely assimilating Huana into Rauataian culture by force? Or them facing current realities, do you think Huana'd better evolve their political system on their own by seeing other cultures as examples?

I have yet to see evidence that this is the end goal of Rauatai. The Huana would have to adapt, yes, but I don't see anything even remotely like a Kulturkampf you imply.

And that is bad? It's actually terrifying to know how much of Earth's rich culture and history was lost through the ages because of wars and conquest, and only now is being rediscovered. And I wouldn't wish any nation to forget itself, because it seems very important for us human beings. Just look how even the smallest minorities fight for their right to have a sense of identity - most of the modern conflicts rage on today from denying people that right.

Yes, because you're ignoring the realities of the setting and not looking at it from the contemporary perspective. You're basically passing judgement on the past without so much as trying to put yourself in their position. This kind of moral hardlining is indefensible - as is you assuming a position of moral superiority.

In fact, it's quite ironic that you're indirectly condemning Rauatai and Vailian culture as inferior in the way they are poised to conquer the Deadfire, ignoring the possibility that the conquest of Deadfire would bring about reforms for the RDC - and the elimination of storms plaguing Rauatai would fundamentally alter the empire's culture, while exposure to ten million Huana, who are their cousins by culture and origins, would inevitably bring about further change. The conquest of Greece by Rome did not destroy Greek culture, did it?

Plus, you are ignoring the fact that all cultures change and evolve constantly, sometimes through exchange, sometimes through conquest. Would you cordon off the Deadfire and turn it into a Huana reservation? Because that's the impression I get.

Exactly. The Huana aren't just backward, their culture is toxic for their lowest caste. We witness a leader attempting to torture a confession from an innocent lower caste person so he can execute him for a crime he didn't commit. The lower classes give everything they have to the leaders who give them back crumbs (if there are any crumbs left over to give back). Obsidian is trying to dismantle the Noble Savage myth with the Huana.

All of the factions have major upsides and major downsides - the question is what do you (the player) value and what are willing to overlook to get what you value.

That was exactly my point. Descending into the Gullet was gut wrenching, as was experiencing "All Aboard". The Roparu aren't just the lower class: They're the slave class, buoyed only by the promise of being reincarnated to a higher one and suppressed by the concerted efforts of the Mataru and Kuaru. They're basically 1984 proles.

Edited by Tagaziel

I have yet to see evidence that this is the end goal of Rauatai. The Huana would have to adapt, yes, but I don't see anything even remotely like a Kulturkampf you imply.

Well, there are assimilation examples in the game. For example, there was a trader who's ancestor land was conquered by the Rauatai - that land and people are completely assimilated. And that land is just one of many they've conquered. Next there is Sayka - the first thing you see there is RDC employee training a local Huana to wear Rauataian clothes and greet newcomers like a Rauataian would, so bye-bye local culture and language here too. They also moved all local Huana to live in a barrack, disregarding their social status or comfort. It is also mentioned several times in the game that Rauataians view Huana's culture as inferior.

• Like 1

Well, there are assimilation examples in the game. For example, there was a trader who's ancestor land was conquered by the Rauatai - that land and people are completely assimilated. And that land is just one of many they've conquered.

Yes, and I've just double-checked the orlan peddler's dialogue and it's a lot more nuanced:

1. She mentions the older generations still telling stories about pre-Empire times and more than a few waxing romantic about it, which shows that Rauatai has no problems with people keeping history and culture alive.

2. She also mentions greatly improved infrastructure - granted, much of it is focused on Takowa, but that's to be expected.

3. She also emphasizes that she doesn't much care, because she's preoccupied with making sure she has enough cash to get by, which is the point I'm making - we are generally rich societies that can afford to worry about culture and history; much of Eora doesn't give two ****s because they're too focused on survival.

4. But still, she says that she's from Rauatai.

Next there is Sayka - the first thing you see there is RDC employee training a local Huana to wear Rauataian clothes and greet newcomers like a Rauataian would, so bye-bye local culture and language here too.

Rauataian and Huana language are basically the same language. As for Sayuka, I have yet to explore it (sometimes documenting stuff goes slow), but it's a militarized outpost focusing on top secret research for the Empire, so it's a special case. Plus, I fail to see how that shows that Rauatai intends to destroy a culture maintained by ten million people.

They also moved all local Huana to live in a barrack, disregarding their social status or comfort. It is also mentioned several times in the game that Rauataians view Huana's culture as inferior.

If a culture was predicated on condemning a broad segment of its population to ruthless exploitation, state murder, mass starvation, and only fed them scraps from the table in return - and as we see in Neketaka, it's sometimes not even scraps, but literal rotting trash - I'd have a hard time seeing them as ethically equal.

But I guess I can't view ethically compromised practices endemic to a culture as bad because reasons ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 5

Yes, and I've just double-checked the orlan peddler's dialogue and it's a lot more nuanced:

1. She mentions the older generations still telling stories about pre-Empire times and more than a few waxing romantic about it, which shows that Rauatai has no problems with people keeping history and culture alive.
2. She also mentions greatly improved infrastructure - granted, much of it is focused on Takowa, but that's to be expected.
3. She also emphasizes that she doesn't much care, because she's preoccupied with making sure she has enough cash to get by, which is the point I'm making - we are generally rich societies that can afford to worry about culture and history; much of Eora doesn't give two ****s because they're too focused on survival.
4. But still, she says that she's from Rauatai.

Those are staple assimilation points. But I guess after several generations of brainwashing everybody's descendant will talk like that.

Rauataian and Huana language are basically the same language. As for Sayuka, I have yet to explore it (sometimes documenting stuff goes slow), but it's a militarized outpost focusing on top secret research for the Empire, so it's a special case. Plus, I fail to see how that shows that Rauatai intends to destroy a culture maintained by ten million people. 

It's gonna be like Sayuka everywhere, just listen to Atsura - he loves to drone about plans how they'll transform Deadfire. They do intend to assimilate it, no doubt about it, examples being all other lands conquered by them, this one is no different. Even ending slides support it. It will be yet another Rauatai appendix.

• Like 1

The problem with RDC is that they seek to destroy not only the bad sides of the Huana society (cast system), but also perfectly normal parts that actually make them Huana. Sayuka is actually a good example: nothing Tebe (I think that was the girl's name?) does endangers their research or the outpost's security, she just greets all the new arrivals in a traditional Huana way. The under-secretary is trying to teach her to behave differently because "an RDC employee sholdn't talk like this" or some other reason like that, to which she replies that she isn't even their employee to begin with. So.. what the hell is going on there and on what basis is he bothering her?

Then there is Maia and her constant "booo, you stupid lowly locals, we will teach you the proper culture!" remarks. Now, I realise that one person doesn't normally represent the entire faction's mindset, but considering other instances of RDC-Huana interactions we see in game, Maia's behaviour seems perfectly in line with what other rauataians are doing.

• Like 1

Those are staple assimilation points. But I guess after several generations of brainwashing everybody's descendant will talk like that.

Where's the brainwashing?  

It's gonna be like Sayuka everywhere, just listen to Atsura - he loves to drone about plans how they'll transform Deadfire. They do intend to assimilate it, no doubt about it, examples being all other lands conquered by them, this one is no different. Even ending slides support it. It will be yet another Rauatai appendix.

Which ending slides? Here's a few I found:

Newly empowered by their victory in Deadfire and this season of calm, Rauatai rises to prominence in Eora.

The ranga nui and his people lead efforts to effect a solution to the winding down of reincarnation, pursuing that goal with the same dogged relentlessness with which they have pursued all others for millennia. Their resourcefulness and tenacity slowly but surely guide Eora closer to salvation.

[...]

As Rauatai's engineers had predicted, turning off the machine at Ondra's Spire calms not only the storms of Ondra's Mortar, but also those in Rauatai.

For the first time, citizens of the mainland admire the beauty of sea and sky without wondering when they will unleash destruction.

The changes to Rauatai, however, extend far beyond the weather.

Rauataians had long forged their identities around enduring hardship and laboring together. But over time, as their cities and crops flourish under sunny skies, they find they need one another less.

Inevitably, some lament this softer, easier life. Others point to national self-reliance, to burgeoning industry, to families that did not have to send their kin abroad, as evidence that the new ways are vastly preferable to the old.

[...]

Rauatai knits its new archipelago together with all the tools of government and infrastructure. New ports spring up across Deadfire, guarded with sturdy Rauataian bronze and run with dispassionate Rauataian efficiency.

Most Huana remain, even as their homeland changes around them.

Their huts and lodges are cleared to make way for towns of stone and brick. The walls that are built to protect them also cut them off from the freedom of the open sea.

Those Huana who trade caste and prize-share for Rauataian unity and striving prosper. Others mourn the passing of their queen and see the end of their way of life as a precursor of the doom of Eora.

It doesn't mention any actual, concerted effort to eradicate the Huana way of life - in fact, ten million people share that culture, so it would mean outright war. Rauatai simply offers an alternative way of life, one that doesn't consign millions of people to suffering in destitute hopelessness.

You're keen on defending some strange concept of cultural purity, repeatedly failing to address the fact that Huana culture is founded on social stratification and ruthless exploitation of the Roparu with no social mobility.

• Like 3

unless tebe was conscripted i have to say using her as an assimilation checkmark is a bit of a misnomer... as far as i know she is receiving job training, a position called a greeter, unless i'm mistaken. is it wrong for the royal deadfire company to wish for their employees who are quite literally representatives (as she is a greeter after all) to address visitors in a specific manner? 

unless tebe was conscripted i have to say using her as an assimilation checkmark is a bit of a misnomer... as far as i know she is receiving job training, a position called a greeter, unless i'm mistaken. is it wrong for the royal deadfire company to wish for their employees who are quite literally representatives (as she is a greeter after all) to address visitors in a specific manner?

I've checked her dialogue and she's working for the RDC, while taking pleasure in mocking the undersecretary and constantly joking at his expense. It's glorious. If that's an example of Rauatai's ruthless assimilation of the Huana... Yeah, I'm pretty sure the non-****ty parts of their culture are safe.

It doesn't mention any actual, concerted effort to eradicate the Huana way of life - in fact, ten million people share that culture, so it would mean outright war. Rauatai simply offers an alternative way of life, one that doesn't consign millions of people to suffering in destitute hopelessness.

I dunno, aren't these slides telling enough?

The changes to Deadfire are just as significant. The ranga nui declares the archipelago an extension of his empire, and his administrators waste no time in making that true in deed as well as in word.

Their huts and lodges are cleared to make way for towns of stone and brick. The walls that are built to protect them also cut them off from the freedom of the open sea.  

Those Huana who trade caste and prize-share for Rauataian unity and striving prosper. Others mourn the passing of their queen and see the end of their way of life as a precursor of the doom of Eora.    

So basically, RDC kills the legitimate ruler of the Huana, then invades in full force with nobody left to oppose them into all settlements and drives Huana away from their old homes into these barrack type "longhouses" to make room for RDC infrastructure. Huana have nowhere else to go, as even the freedom of open sea is cut off for them. And having nothing else to do they either assimilate into Rauataian way of life to prosper or sit around mourning their old way of life taken away from them and don't prosper.

You're keen on defending some strange concept of cultural purity, repeatedly failing to address the fact that Huana culture is founded on social stratification and ruthless exploitation of the Roparu with no social mobility.

How is cultural purity connected to being founded on a flawed caste system? And I didn't fail to mention it, I repeated several times here already that I don't like the caste system and would like it changed. But not by force. Here it seems people were left with no real choice to make.

Edited by Aramintai

I've checked her dialogue and she's working for the RDC

Do you have a screenshot? Because the way I remember it when the undersecretary says that is no way for their employee to act she rebukes it with something like  "Good thing I'm not one then", which made me think "Wait what? What's going on here then?". Or is she referring to the fact that she is just a trainee and not a real employee?

I dunno, aren't these slides telling enough?

So basically, RDC kills the legitimate ruler of the Huana, then invades in full force with nobody left to oppose them into all settlements and drives Huana away from their old homes into these barrack type "longhouses" to make room for RDC infrastructure. Huana have nowhere else to go, as even the freedom of open sea is cut off for them. And having nothing else to do they either assimilate into Rauataian way of life to prosper or sit around mourning their old way of life taken away from them and don't prosper.

Nowhere does it specify that the Huana have nowhere else to go - and unless you're cartoonishly portraying Rauatai as deliberately encircling entire islands to cut off Huana from the water while cackling maniacally, I don't see how you can assume they can instantly displace ten million people at a flick of a wrist.

Or why you're assuming every Huana is suddenly herded into longhouses. Or why Rauatai magically dumps finished fortresses from the sky.

Rauatai is expanding like any empire in history - and given that their victory also fundamentally changes the culture of the home islands, I don't see why this wouldn't also result in long-term changes to their relations with the Huana.

How is cultural purity connected to being founded on a flawed caste system? And I didn't fail to mention it, I repeated several times here already that I don't like the caste system and would like it changed. But not by force. Here it seems people were left with no real choice to make.

Except the system won't change except by force. It's something that's endured for centuries, if not thousands of years. Barring some major shock to the system that dismantles the existing order, the Huana will keep on screwing their own people over. You keep arguing that Huana could change without explaining how they could change. Hell, the game shows that given the choice, they will perpetuate the old ways, except worse. In Neketaka, which alone is seen by conservative Huana as a radical departure from their old way of life (so much for Rauatai destroying it, when the Kahanga are already wrecking it), you still have stark caste divisions, except the Roparu now get to feed on literal trash, instead of actual food.

Do you have a screenshot? Because the way I remember it when the undersecretary says that is no way for their employee to act she rebukes it with something like  "Good thing I'm not one then", which made me think "Wait what? What's going on here then?". Or is she referring to the fact that she is just a trainee and not a real employee?

I can do better. You can check the entire file at PillarsOfEternityII_Data\exported\localized\en\text\conversations\15_rdc_port. Look for 15_cv_greeter_and_undersecretary.stringtable (the file can be opened with notepad).

One quote comes to mind:

<DefaultText>He grunts. "Superstition is unbecoming of a Royal Deadfire Company officer, Tebe."</DefaultText>

<FemaleText />

</Entry>

<Entry>

<ID>29</ID>

<DefaultText>[Whisper] "Is it just me, or is this guy terrible?"</DefaultText>

<FemaleText />

</Entry>

<Entry>

<ID>30</ID>

<DefaultText>"You don't know the half of it." An impish smile plays at the corner of her mouth.</DefaultText>

<FemaleText />

</Entry>

<Entry>

<ID>31</ID>

<DefaultText>"What was that, Greeter Tebe?"</DefaultText>

<FemaleText />

</Entry>

<Entry>

<ID>32</ID>

<DefaultText>"Surely just the breeze, undersecretary." Tebe's impish smile grows into a mocking grin.</DefaultText>

<FemaleText />

</Entry>

<Entry>

<ID>33</ID>

<DefaultText>"You will call me 'sir."</DefaultText>

<FemaleText />

</Entry>

<Entry>

<ID>34</ID>

<DefaultText>She laughs. "Ekera, I certainly will not."</DefaultText>

<FemaleText />

I don't think "RDC officer" means "Huana forcibly conscripted to do stuff".

Nowhere does it specify that the Huana have nowhere else to go - and unless you're cartoonishly portraying Rauatai as deliberately encircling entire islands to cut off Huana from the water while cackling maniacally, I don't see how you can assume they can instantly displace ten million people at a flick of a wrist.

Not like that, but it probably means that Deadfire's water and land is controlled by the Rauatai so Huana can't just sail away to some uninhabited island and live without their influence, as pretty soon there won't be any. Atsura made it clear that under them Deadfire's land won't go to waste. And where are you getting these obscene population numbers, btw?

Or why you're assuming every Huana is suddenly herded into longhouses. Or why Rauatai magically dumps finished fortresses from the sky.

Because there is an example in Sayuka. Unlike VTC who prefer to be neighbors with Huana, RDC prefers to dismantle the old and building their new.

You're not wrong. She does say she's not one of the officers:

https://youtu.be/EG-OICICgqQ?t=135

Looks like she's just a local greeter or somesuch whom RDC guy tries to train being a Rauataian. Her mocking him goes along just fine with those other guys by the longhouse who don't feel like they should be grateful to Rauatains forcing themselves into their island.

Edited by Aramintai
  • Like 1