Returning player - A guide to PTOD and Paladin

So I've recently returned to Pillars of Eternity, haven't beaten it since a few months after it came out. Beat it on Normal and Hard back then. So there have been a lot of changes, and i need some guidance for a possible PTOD/Expert mode playthrough. I do have experience with Tyranny on PTOD, just throwing that out there. So i will be able to handle it, i hope.

I do have some criteria - 

First of all it needs to be a Paladin, they are my favourite class no matter the RPG.
The Build has to represent good oppurtunities for RP. I don't have any problems with playing a mean guy or anything like that.
No Min-maxing. I don't like gimping stats, wanna keep the once i don't use at a flat 10.
Preferably playing a Dwarf since they gots the beard and short legs, can consider anyone that has beard options.

So the build i have been inspecting the most for Inspiration is http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/85885-class-build-bleak-walker-melee-dw-paladin-monster/
Currently i am running something similar to it on Hard with a Dwarf Paladin that is a Goldpact Knight. Going for the Stoic and Rational Mercenary type, and i like it. Only up to act II thus far, but already got some decent sabers. I've modified the stats a bit and i am running 20 Might, 14 Int and 14 Resolve if i remember correctly. I like the resolve conversation options.

What i want to know is how huge is the dmg difference between the Goldpact and Bleak Walker with a build like this, and are any of them viable with a two hander? I much prefer the Greatsword/estoc approach on a paladin, back to the good old Carsomyr days in BGII. Is it viable in PTOD? So any input, ideas etc would be nice. Open to trying other things aswell. I just want a paladin that can do some decent damage while maintaining a frontline presence in the team. Also in regards to the PTOD, i will be using the story companions.

Edited by Akrabra
  • Like 1

If you're more up to attack then I would recommend good perception for interruption and accuracy, I recommend also 18 strength because of being a dwarf already give you +2 of that, If you're going to be alone please increase your intelligence (you will thank me for that), on Sabres the bittercut and The Flames of Fair Rhîan or Resolution and The Flames of Fair Rhîan (if you like two handed attacker. otherwise, I would recommend you The Flames of Fair Rhîan because of the fireball, please include scion of flame + intense flames for your flames of devotion combined with the sabre +25 fire damage it will give you and absurd fire damage rate that could kill mid level enemies on one hit depending of the accuracy. for armor try a breastplate always. **this is of you're gonna be alone.

Because paladins shine as a support class, they (imo) don't need to worry so much about min/maxing. I just rolled through PotD with my MC paladin who had a mismatch of stats. Although he began and specced as a shield "tank," for most of the game he ran around with a 2H. Didn't do nearly as much damage as another class would, but, like you, I have a soft spot for the Carsomyr vibe.

Everything you suggested is viable in PotD. The challenge in PotD depends on where you are. Early on it's tough, since you have no abilities, but if you know encounters well, craft items, and position/pull intelligently you will succeed. Later on it's just a matter, imo, of not getting ****y with your newfound powers.

• Like 1

Two Handed type build is viable on PoTD, you will be a Bruiser type off tank.  You will have two alphas with Flames of Devotion, and then have good sustained DPS if you take Sacred Immolation at level 13 (recommended).  After your 2 alphas are gone you are once again a support dude/girl with some good dps due to SI.  So ya its definitely doable.  I like being hardier by using a shields and just quick switch alphaing with Arbalests.  Then immediately switching back to my one hander, and Outworn Buckler.  But if you want a more traditional build what you are asking for works.  Like you I do not like min maxing, I go by the three 5s and a 3 rule.  5 points in my major attributes and 3 in my "minor".  I like a lot of Fort for tanking and Health for less down time (I do not like resting too much) so on my Paladins I go 15 Might, 15 CON, 15 Resolve1 13 INT.  This set up has good convo options but you will miss out on perception stuff.  So you can dump the Con if you want for PER (for better conversations and more accuracy).  The 5 PER will just help your auto attacks because later in the game with Sworn Enemy and Flames of Devotion's innate + 20 Accuracy there is no need for more then a 10 PER for your Alphas.

Edited by Torm51
  • Like 1

Have gun will travel.

Two hander certainly works. One of the best weapons is a two-handed great sword and the hardest enemies have high DR which favors large weapons. You will be kind of a jack of all trades, master of none warrior, but sturdier than most against magic, poisons, and other special attacks thanks to faith and conviction and being a dwarf. We like to refer to these generalists as off-tanks. :).

Basically good defense, but not the best. Good damage, but not the best, etc. You are fighting at the front but still don’t want to be taking all the hits.

Edited by Braven
  • Like 1

I think you may like " paladin of the holy fire " team.

1 Dwarf paladin kindway farers - main char, main tank with bashing shield (instant HP recovery*2 for team). super high DEF.

2 Moon godlike paladin kindway farers - dualwielding dps,instant HP recovery*2

3 same

4 same

5 Moon godlike paladin dracozzi - gunner dps, acc buffer

6 NPC priest - buffer & tanking & fire AOE

For a DPS paladin, you're going to be focusing on fire damage. Bleak Walkers in particular (appropriately) bring the pain.

For inspiration:

If you're playing with IEMod or are otherwise willing to change your Order to something technically illegal, Pallegina's gives you the much-beloved Wrath of Five Suns, which does phenomenal single-target damage and benefits from Penetrating Shot and Ryona's Vambraces. Such a character could have pretty crazy alpha strikes and continuous melee presence by combining Ryona's Vambraces, Penetrating Shot, Flames of Devotion+2 blunderbusses to use it with, Flames of Fair Rhian+the Outworn Buckler, that one belt that gives you free weapon switching, Sacred Immolation, and Scion of Flames. Light everything on fire forever, basically, and keep Bittercut in your back pocket for fights against fire-immune enemies.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

For a DPS paladin, you're going to be focusing on fire damage. Bleak Walkers in particular (appropriately) bring the pain.

For inspiration:

If you're playing with IEMod or are otherwise willing to change your Order to something technically illegal, Pallegina's gives you the much-beloved Wrath of Five Suns, which does phenomenal single-target damage and benefits from Penetrating Shot and Ryona's Vambraces. Such a character could have pretty crazy alpha strikes and continuous melee presence by combining Ryona's Vambraces, Penetrating Shot, Flames of Devotion+2 blunderbusses to use it with, Flames of Fair Rhian+the Outworn Buckler, that one belt that gives you free weapon switching, Sacred Immolation, and Scion of Flames. Light everything on fire forever, basically, and keep Bittercut in your back pocket for fights against fire-immune enemies.

Maybe I am missing something are Blunderbusses better for that specific build?  I find Arbalests to be superior for Alpha Striking unless its build specific

Also and this depends on taste I like stacking the Quick Switch Belt with the Talent Quick Switch.  It makes everything basically instant so you alpha faster and if you need a quick lay on hands or Exhortation you can switch just for that as your recovery will be instant and cast the ability.  Some cheese ya but its a way to get around slow cast times due to using average speed weapons and wearing heavy armor.

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

Penetrating shot is a flat reduction, not percentage based, so applied individually to each projectile its effectiveness goes way up. Same with Ryona's Vambraces. That's already pretty great on a blunderbuss (lead spitter in particular gets even more DR reduction), but the real killer is that these reductions apply to the five projectiles from Wrath of Five Suns (which also has -10 DR to start with on each projectile), too - the blunderbuss is actually a bit of an afterthought, although an extremely potent one. Not much can survive the combination of Wrath of Five Suns (which has basically no recovery time, to boot) -> Lead Spitter FoD w/Burning Lash, especially given that Sworn Enemy gives a stacking buff to accuracy and damage, and a lot of this is burn damage and so benefits from Scion of Flame. With some buffing/debuffing, you can hit several hundred damage easily, and still have a potent tank with WF: Ruffian when you're done.

Bleak Walkers miss out on Wo5S, but get Rakhan Field/Bittercut corrode synergy in its place.

Edited by gkathellar
  • Like 1

Penetrating shot is a flat reduction, not percentage based, so applied individually to each projectile its effectiveness goes way up. Same with Ryona's Vambraces. That's already pretty great on a blunderbuss (lead spitter in particular gets even more DR reduction), but the real killer is that these reductions apply to the five projectiles from Wrath of Five Suns (which also has -10 DR to start with on each projectile), too - the blunderbuss is actually a bit of an afterthought, although an extremely potent one. Not much can survive the combination of Wrath of Five Suns (which has basically no recovery time, to boot) -> Lead Spitter FoD w/Burning Lash, especially given that Sworn Enemy gives a stacking buff to accuracy and damage, and a lot of this is burn damage and so benefits from Scion of Flame. With some buffing/debuffing, you can hit several hundred damage easily, and still have a potent tank with WF: Ruffian when you're done.

Bleak Walkers miss out on Wo5S, but get Rakhan Field/Bittercut corrode synergy in its place.

right yes that makes since with Pen shot and the items, and Five Suns of course.

Have gun will travel.

How early can you score Bittercut, and when do you get the mold to replicate it? Is that totally random?

You can probably get Bittercut around level 7-8. 6 if you're really good, maybe.

Helwax Mold is, like all stronghold items, a bit of a crapshoot: stronghold adventures are received on every 8th stronghold turn, and the rank of the quest is determined by a roll of 2d50+Prestige. A named adventure of the appropriate rank will then be randomly chosen from among the named adventures of that rank that you haven't yet completed (you can only get generic adventures if you roll a rank and have already completed all of its named adventures. The Helwax Mold is granted by completing "The Waxmaker," a Grand Adventure, requiring a roll of 100-124.

The mixed news here is that while 2d50 has results between 2-100, the graph of probabilities is a pyramid, so your odds of rolling a Grand Adventure rise steadily with Prestige unless until they peak at 74 - with a modest Prestige of 30, you should get a Grand Adventure roughly 25% of the time. The possibly-good news is that my experiments with saving and reloading seemed to indicate that the 2d50 is only pseudorandom, so if you save before turning in a quest and get a Grand Adventure, you should be able to save-scum through various adventures of that rank until you get the Waxmaker. Even if you're not looking to save-scum, however, odds are good that you'll get the mold well before finishing the game, so long as you're efficient about stronghold management and do lots of quests: at 100% completion, the game gives you 210+ turns.

Also note that you may want to hold off on using the Mold until you get a Kraken's Eye or Sky Dragon's Eye, in which case you'll be in much less of a hurry.

• Like 1