Has anyone actually used this? I saw it and thought it screamed Jedi (i.e., Psyblade Devoted specializing in Sabers) but when I actually tested it out, it seems pretty terrible. The only benefit it seems to have is that deals raw damage, which is nice, and is slightly faster than normal (3 second recovery time as opposed to 4). 

On the down side, it's damage seems way too low to be viable as anything more than a niche weapon for certain enemies with extremely high damage resistance, and the only enchantments it offers are the standard ->Legendary branch. To compare, a fully Legendary Animancer Blade does 9-15 base damage (as Raw); a basic Saber, unenchanted, does 17-24. I'm not good enough with the mechanics to do the math, but just eyeballing it, it would seem that you would need your target to have a huge amount of damage reduction to make the Animancer Blade come out ahead?  That's without getting in to how many other unique weapons offer additional benefits.

Kind of bums me out, because I was really kind of digging the Jedi vibe. I suppose I can still do Psyblade Devoted and go with some other weapon/weapon type.

It has the same base damage as (non-monk) fists - which is absolutely terrible. Maybe it's unintended.

I would give it the same base damage as a normal sabre. Actually raw damage isn't so uber in general: you can't overpenetrate with it. :)

The attack animation is pretty great though. :)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

It has the same base damage as (non-monk) fists - which is absolutely terrible. Maybe it's unintended.

I would give it the same base damage as a normal sabre. Actually raw damage isn't so uber in general: you can't overpenetrate with it. :)

The attack animation is pretty great though. :)

Yeah that's why I wanted to use it lol. Who doesn't want to use a lightsaber? Think I'll give Sage a try instead though - I've found single-class Wizard to be a little underwhelming and am looking for a restart. 

And here I was, thinking this could be Deadfire's answer to Bittercut. What a bummer to find out about this.  :facepalm:

Maybe this topic should be copypasted into the bug forum?

Don't think it's a bug though - I mean it damages per the value displayed correctly and one would assume it is using the value the dev's intended it to use. Maybe a balance issue - don't know where those go.

• 3 weeks later...

high level ogres, ettons, and dragons.

that's pretty much the only enemies I have found pure raw damage to be of use for, and even then a couple of wizard/druid/cipher spells and armor/deflection is no longer an issue so...

I ended up modding the weapon in game to do 50% more damage (25% bonus raw, +50% extra crit), made it even faster on recovery (another 15%), and gave it soul cutter (+accuracy and damage against spirits) and arcing blows (10% graze to hit).

yes, I actually had to do THAT much modding to bring it in line with other late game sabers.

btw... anyone notice just how MANY unique sabers there are in this game?  I guess it's because of the pirate theme.

Edited by Ichthyic

Yes, that was my first topic after I downloaded Deadfire and used the console to look at every unique item. :)

Swords, great swords and sabres are overrepresented. Rapiers, too if I remember correctly.

Well great swords might actually be fine if some unique "slots" wandered from sword and sabre to other weapons.

Edited by Boeroer

Daggers have 10-14 base damage, Energy Blade has 5-8.

Daggers have 0.5/3 sec attack speed/recovery, Energy Blade has 0.7/3

The Blade has not the base damage of a dagger nor the attack speed (but has faster recovery than a sabre). It's modal is superuseless, that's true. :)

Edited by Boeroer

Doesn't really feel like there are actual hard weapon damage numbers.

Like the Poleaxe with the Area / multi target attack has the base damage of a dagger.  The 2h endless path Greatsword does less base damage than the 1h version.  

high level ogres, ettons, and dragons.

that's pretty much the only enemies I have found pure raw damage to be of use for, and even then a couple of wizard/druid/cipher spells and armor/deflection is no longer an issue so...

I ended up modding the weapon in game to do 50% more damage (25% bonus raw, +50% extra crit), made it even faster on recovery (another 15%), and gave it soul cutter (+accuracy and damage against spirits) and arcing blows (10% graze to hit).

yes, I actually had to do THAT much modding to bring it in line with other late game sabers.

btw... anyone notice just how MANY unique sabers there are in this game?  I guess it's because of the pirate theme.

can you up load your mod somewhere? it sounds really cool

• Like 2

And you get it too late in the game.

Not if you attack Ydwin. Everyone on the top of the tower goes hostile and you can pick up the blade early but I think you would be locked out of some VTC quests. I reloaded a save and didn't continue so I am not sure what happens.

Atsura, the intelligent Psychopath of my dreams.  I like my elves grumpy and my godlike fishy!

And my Rekke romancable!

• 4 weeks later...

Is it just me, or is the sword not as terrible anymore? With legendary enchantment it's on par on damage with magistrate's cudgel (which is a mace). I'm dual-wielding it with my rogue together with the stealth-based spear.

If my post hasn't been edited yet, I'm still looking to find the error I made typing it.

It also gets no dmg penalty from low PEN.

For PotD that means that you can skip all PEN stacking and also don't need to look at enemies' resistances and immunities.

So Devoted seems to be wasted. +2 PEN where you don't need it and only +25% crit damage.

Edited by Boeroer

I know, but the problem is, that a Jedi is technically a master of the Lightsaber with some mind powers and telekinesis. That just sounds like Devoted/Cipher no matter how you look at it :<

But wait, if I have a weapon that does Raw damage and I use Flames of Devotion, does the damage turn to Fire or stays Raw?

EDIT: Instead of a Paladin I suppose it would work best with a class that has a strong non-elemental alpha strike. Rogue comes to mind. Then again that would probably require cheating to get a second blade :p

Edited by Manveru123

I know, but the problem is, that a Jedi is technically a master of the Lightsaber with some mind powers and telekinesis. That just sounds like Devoted/Cipher no matter how you look at it :<

But wait, if I have a weapon that does Raw damage and I use Flames of Devotion, does the damage turn to Fire or stays Raw?

EDIT: Instead of a Paladin I suppose it would work best with a class that has a strong non-elemental alpha strike. Rogue comes to mind. Then again that would probably require cheating to get a second blade :p

The Jedi were a religious order with martial training. They are very much space paladins.

Edit: actually a VOTARY would fit for an Anakin type. If you want something like Emperor Palpatine you would have to go Fury / Bleak Walker just for the lightning feel (and being a cruel / aggressive character).

Edited by arkane83