I haven't acquired a legendary robe or the one off the splintered reef, but so far robe models are incredibly underwhelming. I'm not expecting giant pauldrons and Maleficent-style hems, but some variety in robe models would be nice, seeing as how Humility looks like a generic black robe and Effigy's Husk is hideous. Arkemyr, of all people, should definitely not look like a monk. 

The Huana all have nice robes, so it's baffling that robe armors all look so humdrum. The bejeweled mantles and full-body robes of the Huana aristocracy look so much nicer than the actual robe armors, and it's particularly baffling because all other armors got some love as far as unique looks go. Slap full-length sleeves on the Huana robes and I'd go for that over the existing robe armors.

I mean, I don't mind the regular robes looking like a monk's cassock, but I'd figure that unique robes would actually have unique models, not just retextures (Humility looks exactly like a tattered robe, Effigy's Husk is a retextured Fine Robe).

Robe wearers deserve some love too.

Edited by LordofBones
  • Like 4

There's a lot of unique clothes and armor in the game but they're not used to make unique equipment. Why? Because gotta add more swords and sabres.

Yeah, that's bizarre. 

Hell, there's only one unique wand in the game.

But what a Whale of a Wand it is!

• Like 1

I just wish we were able to 'enchant' the clothing (including the Dancer Outfits  :brows: ) with Fine/Exceptional/Superb qualities, like in PoE 1

Those Vaillian Frock Coats are so sexy.

This... some form of glamor option would really be nice, especially in a setting with such a wide range of interesting clothing designs.

• Like 3

I do agree with this, mages look incredibly underwhelming in this game because of it. I hope to the gods that Obsidian will make some unique looking robes for the last DLC so all the archmages don't just look like color swapped copies of each other. 

• Like 3

I do agree with this, mages look incredibly underwhelming in this game because of it. I hope to the gods that Obsidian will make some unique looking robes for the last DLC so all the archmages don't just look like color swapped copies of each other. 

God, I hope so. Obsidian made absolutely beautiful robes in NWN2 - the robe of the archmagi comes to mind - but all of Deadfire's robes look like they were made for monks, down to the rope belts. Why don't legendary robes look suitable for archbishops, if they were going for a clerical look? Why does Arkemyr's fine robe look like a generic fine robe? Why does Arkemyr himself look like he's just stepped out of a medieval monastery?

An insane diversity of clothing, any they couldn't splice something together for cloth wearers? That Huana lady - the one who starts the Arkemyr quest - outside the Palace looks better than my wizard in a superb robe. Hell, superb and exceptional robes look exactly the same.

Effigy's Husk is hideous.

Well, you're wearing a skinned human turned into an avatar of the god of schemes and vengeance. I'd be surprised if this was something made for a fashion show. Though... "Flayed Human Collection 2829" does have a pleasant ring to it (at least, until I have my coffee).

I'll have to check the files, but it seems the lack of robe variety is due to a bug in assigning models, since there's plenty of variety in icons and they usually correspond with what we get. USually.

• Like 5

I find robes underwhelming as well, but to me there is not much of a distinction between a cleric and a western monk.

What I'm missing is a Robe (or any other outfit) that looks even remotely like that of a martial artist, which is how I wanted to look like if I was playing the class monk. It's ironic that Xoti's gear, which is the closest to this I've seen so far, doesn't classify as anything even near a robe in terms of game mechanics.

Effigy's Husk is hideous.

Well, you're wearing a skinned human turned into an avatar of the god of schemes and vengeance. I'd be surprised if this was something made for a fashion show. Though... "Flayed Human Collection 2829" does have a pleasant ring to it (at least, until I have my coffee).

I'll have to check the files, but it seems the lack of robe variety is due to a bug in assigning models, since there's plenty of variety in icons and they usually correspond with what we get. USually.

Humility's icon is a white tattered robe, the robe itself is black. Effigy's Husk's icon matches the robe. Spider Silk Robe's icon is a black-and-gold variant of the standard exceptional/superb/legendary robe icon.

And then there's the Watershaper's robe, which is a kilt.

Ahh I'm really sorry about the robe situation. I don't disagree. Bobby requested fancier robes a long time ago and they were always meant to go in, but were always prioritized below other things. I'll check with the DLC team if it is possible for us to get something new in. 

• Like 41

Ahh I'm really sorry about the robe situation. I don't disagree. Bobby requested fancier robes a long time ago and they were always meant to go in, but were always prioritized below other things. I'll check with the DLC team if it is possible for us to get something new in. 

giphy.gif

• Like 17

Thanks, Dimitri. I know it sounds petty, but the robe thing has been bothering me for some time. Part of it is because gear progression also comes with appearance progression; in Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, NWN1 (with HotU) and NWN 2, there was a visible form of progression as your character equipped better robes. In the IE games, you went from a simple robe, to a caped robe, to a hooded and cloaked robe with amulets, etc; in NWN 1, there were a number of robe models; in NWN 2, the archmage robes all had one of the most beautiful robe models I've had the pleasure of seeing. 

Deadfire's three robe models are okay, but not the kind of robes I'd imagine archmages - including the watcher - would wear. The Huana robes (with full sleeves or the existing exceptional/superb robe sleeves) are more of what I'd imagine powerful wizards wearing.

Edited by LordofBones

Thank you, Dimitri!

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Is not even problem with models themselves (although robes are fugly). It's the problem how you design items. You have unique cloth models, unique armor models, but people who designed items simply were not using all of them.

Yes please! You guys did an absolutely amazing job on all other armors, it's a shame robes look so bland in comparison.

• Like 1

Is not even problem with models themselves (although robes are fugly). It's the problem how you design items. You have unique cloth models, unique armor models, but people who designed items simply were not using all of them.

Pretty much. 

The base robe model - everything below the waist, actually - is pretty, well, bland. The rope belt and open robe skirt just look awkward. Sashes and belts would help break up the monotony, not to mention having actual robe skirts. 

It's rather odd, considering that the Huana nobility all have bejeweled mantles and decorated robes. Why should a legendary robe worn by Arkemyr/Concelhaut/Kalakoth/Ninagauth/<insert archmage here> that costs several hundred times more than noble clothing look objectively worse? 

Edited by LordofBones
  • Like 3

It's rather odd, considering that the Huana nobility all have bejeweled mantles and decorated robes. Why should a legendary robe worn by Arkemyr/Concelhaut/Kalakoth/Ninagauth/<insert archmage here> that costs several hundred times more than noble clothing look objectively worse?

To be fair, I don't think Concelhaut cares any more.

• Like 4