(Also that's not what triggered means. I get that you're frustrated, but that's a term people take very seriously and you should avoid misusing it. I will not engage any further on this topic.)

One of the very few real 'rules' of language, almost like a law of nature, is that words derive their meanings from usage. "Triggered" will mean whatever people have in mind when they use it. You are free to attempt to police language use but it will only frustrate you.

Well said.

When Fallout New Vegas came out it had a bug on consoles that disabled the entire Y Axis for the entire save. This of course was worse than the bug that caused a memory leak that cause save game data to balloon in size to the point that the game would become a slog after a few minutes. New Vegas is one of my favorite games of all time but pretending that it didn't have serious issues at launch would be irresponsible of me.

Deadfire, in spite of all the issues listed above runs far better than New Vegas did at launch (And ever will on consoles like PS3.). Obsidian isn't like Rockstar with hundreds upon hundreds of employees working obscene hours to fix all these bugs. Give the team some time to work on everything and it'll all be better eventually.

I'd also be remiss if I said that playing the game early is your choice. And in a game like this expecting everything to work one hundred percent would be rather silly. Even Witcher 3 took months to get basic amenities and quality of life upgrades.

• Like 1

Yes! We have no bananas.

I saw this coming as so have abstained from even touch Deadfire for the time being. I'm paying for a game with my money, I don't want to pay extra with my time.

I wish Obsidian the best in their pursuit to refine and polish the game. I do think with such complex game systems, a lot of it can only be balanced once you see how things play out. Firaxis pretty much said World Congress from Civ 5 wouldn't make it into Civ 6 until a later expansion because they needed to see how all the game systems played out to even get such a feature right. That makes sense to me.

Old games used to have wonky systems all the time that would simply be whatever happened to exist in the code at launch, that would never be fixed or patched. At least in the modern era these things can continue to be refined.

I don't remember when I learned that new releases would have bugs and I could have to wait some time to properly play a game. But it became a clear idea in my mind.

My plan for Deadfire was to wait 2 weeks, or maybe 2 patches, before playing, just to make sure any serious bugs were addressed. I don't know when that will happen, but I'll try to wait. I've slowed down my third playthrough of PoE but even so I'll probably finish it next week. Then I'll probably succumb and start Deadfire in whichever state it is. :p

• Like 1

sign.jpg

I feel like I’m the only one who hasn’t encountered a single bug. Only had 1 crash after a like 12 hr play session the day of release if that counts (Memory leak still a problem after really long sessions, but it’s negligible when i usually play an hr a day)

Guess that crash counts then, maybe

You're not the only one - this was a fairly stable release.  I think I had one crash and one minor pathing bug in my first playthrough (and maybe some minor things that I didn't notice) but overall, no real problems. It makes sense that people who have had game breaking bugs would have more to say because they are the ones who need to get things fixed.

• Like 1

The game does one thing right...

You can just sit and look pretty, the game is a delight for sore eyes :)

Unfortunately, beauty is only screen-deep.

One thing? Your position is that the only thing the game does right is graphics?

I said "one thing" not to be confused with "only one thing" :)

The statement was to be taken as a broad/loose general observation and not literal or provocation.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

The game does one thing right...

You can just sit and look pretty, the game is a delight for sore eyes :)

Unfortunately, beauty is only screen-deep.

One thing? Your position is that the only thing the game does right is graphics?

I said "one thing" not to be confused with "only one thing" :)

The statement was to be taken as a broad/loose general observation and not literal or provocation.

Yes, but you also said the other two lines quoted above. If you intended to say that graphics was one of many things the game does well, it would have been relevant to mention it in your initial post.  I think you already knew that, but in case you didn't, now you know.

Edited by Yonjuro
  • Like 1

When Fallout New Vegas came out it had a bug on consoles that disabled the entire Y Axis for the entire save. This of course was worse than the bug that caused a memory leak that cause save game data to balloon in size to the point that the game would become a slog after a few minutes. New Vegas is one of my favorite games of all time but pretending that it didn't have serious issues at launch would be irresponsible of me.

Deadfire, in spite of all the issues listed above runs far better than New Vegas did at launch (And ever will on consoles like PS3.). Obsidian isn't like Rockstar with hundreds upon hundreds of employees working obscene hours to fix all these bugs. Give the team some time to work on everything and it'll all be better eventually.

I'd also be remiss if I said that playing the game early is your choice. And in a game like this expecting everything to work one hundred percent would be rather silly. Even Witcher 3 took months to get basic amenities and quality of life upgrades.

Exactly.

Speaking about the (almost) universally acclaimed Witcher 3, how long did it take for the good people at CD Projekt Red to fix Rauch's missing tail? 

As for FNV, it's known that the game was released prematurely. We even had to rely on third party files to get the game to run on the PC...

To this day FNV is the buggiest game I've played at release, before that it was Fallout 2 (and twenty years ago getting patches was a bit more complicated than it is now). 

• Like 2

I expected bugs, personally. Just not the broken import, relationships and respec. Still waiting for my (one and only) playthrough.

Exactly this.

If it weren't for those issues I would be defending Obsidian as well since everything else, including PotD balancing, is pretty much tolerable - but the fact that especially relationships and the save import won't be fixed until a month after release, at the earliest, is honestly a complete joke.

I expected bugs, personally. Just not the broken import, relationships and respec. Still waiting for my (one and only) playthrough.

Relationships were fixed in the second patch released over a week ago now. The Respec issue is not a bug, it's just a feature a lot of people would like. Import was also fixed over a week ago.

People keep parroting this game has X bug, and largely what I am seeing is people talking about release bugs that are either already fixed or are not really bugs but feature requests. POTD difficulty is also not a bug btw, it is a balance issue, one they have already addressed will be improved in the next 2 patches.

• Like 1

Relationships were fixed in the second patch released over a week ago now. The Respec issue is not a bug, it's just a feature a lot of people would like. Import was also fixed over a week ago.

People keep parroting this game has X bug, and largely what I am seeing is people talking about release bugs that are either already fixed or are not really bugs but feature requests. POTD difficulty is also not a bug btw, it is a balance issue, one they have already addressed will be improved in the next 2 patches.

Losing abilities while respeccing is a feature? Whatever floats your boat, man.

And no, not everything is fixed.

Edited by tinysalamander
  • Like 2

Pillars of Bugothas

Losing abilities while respeccing is a feature? Whatever floats your boat, man.

And no, not everything is fixed.

I thought you were talking about the ability to change class/starting attributes. I've never encountered a loss of abilities while using respec feature. Though if you mean bonus stats or abilities from 3rd party sources such as trainers, well I would say that respecing would probably remove them, as a respec is inherently a reset of abilities back to factory settings. That doesn't seem like a bug either, simply a feature set some people would like. There is a difference between a feature not working as people would like or they think is missing and what a bug encompasses: bugs are explicitly unintended behavior as a result of coding errors.

Edited by Excerpt

I thought you were talking about the ability to change class/starting attributes. I've never encountered a loss of abilities while using respec feature. Though if you mean bonus stats or abilities from 3rd party sources such as trainers, well I would say that respecing would probably remove them as a respec is inherently a reset of abilities back to factory settings. That doesn't seem like a big either, simply a feature set some people would like. There is a difference between a feature not working as people would like or they think is missing and what a bug encompasses: bugs are explicitly unintended behavior as a result of coding errors.

When you respec you lose all your Watcher abilities and the only way to get them back is via the console. Are you going to claim that's intended behaviour?

• Like 1

I thought you were talking about the ability to change class/starting attributes. I've never encountered a loss of abilities while using respec feature. Though if you mean bonus stats or abilities from 3rd party sources such as trainers, well I would say that respecing would probably remove them as a respec is inherently a reset of abilities back to factory settings. That doesn't seem like a big either, simply a feature set some people would like. There is a difference between a feature not working as people would like or they think is missing and what a bug encompasses: bugs are explicitly unintended behavior as a result of coding errors.

When you respec you lose all your Watcher abilities and the only way to get them back is via the console. Are you going to claim that's intended behaviour?

That would be a bug, but again I've never encountered that issue. Perhaps it is present for some (which would be indicative of a bug). I have respeced in my original playthrough in the first 6 hours and didn't lose any abilities including the watcher abilities.

And here i was thinking what if they have experience in it before they will be better at fixing bugs and avoid doing it again... But acording 2 you if they have this ****y launch before it totaly okay they have it again... I love logic of fans 

And here i was thinking what if they have experience in it before they will be better at fixing bugs and avoid doing it again... But acording 2 you if they have this ****y launch before it totaly okay they have it again... I love logic of fans 

Clearly you have absolutely no idea how bad FNV was at release if you think Deadfire is in the same state now... 

• Like 2

Clearly you have absolutely no idea how bad FNV was at release if you think Deadfire is in the same state now... 

Well i didn't manage 2 play both at launch so for me it doesn't actually matter how much worse it was. Both a unplayable. Even if 1st was a bit MORE unplayable - i really don't care.

For ME it actually even worse because this isn't the 1st time this happen. You suppose 2 fix your problem not use it existence as an excuse Also i kinda remember playing the NV after 1st week. I still cant play PoE2

Edited by Dopsim

Relationships have not been fixed. The respec issue is absolutely a bug. The save import is still slightly messed up for a lot of people, myself included.

How about getting your facts straight before you try to tell others what is or isn't an issue? Just a suggestion.

Edited by aeoncs
  • Like 5

Relationships have not been fixed. The respec issue is absolutely a bug. The save import is still slightly messed up for a lot of people, myself included.

How about getting your facts straight before you try to tell others what is or isn't an issue? Just a suggestion.

IIRC there were two interrelated "relationship" bugs. One was based on the amount of points giving for each check, which also had an affect on dispositions. This was what delayed the first patch, but was fixed. There was also a bug based on amount of checks present in each conversation. This bug hasn't been fixed.

At least that's what I remember from the twitch stream the other week.

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

My biggest problem is why I will have to pay full or ANY price to be a tester, when the 80% of the current bugs would be easily identified if you paid 5 guys to play the game for 3-4 days and give them 1 day to report their bugs. 

If I was one of those 5 guys I would have found one cosmetic bug and few typos. I am 50 hours into the game and this is all I have found so far.

Hopefully the other 4 guys would have found all the other bugs.

• Like 1

That's right. That is what the OP meant. You understood correctly and so,  the usage was sufficient for you to understand. That is how language actually works.  Recently, some people in universities, who should be educated enough to know better, have mistakenly thought they could control how others speak. It won't work, so you may just wish to ignore it.

"Triggered" will mean whatever it ends up meaning based on usage - those who are triggered by that fact will be in for a rough time as it is just how language works. They will become even more triggered when newly born children begin to acquire language and learn a meaning of 'triggered' that has nothing to do with the accepted definition but is, instead, consistent with how people actually speak. It's best not to be triggered by any of this.

Seems like someone was triggered. Cry elsewhere.

---

We're all doomed