Since when paying full price means:

-I will be getting frustrated because of numerous bugs ruining my first ( and most important ) experience with the game ?

-I have to create an extra account so I will report some of the bugs I encounter, essentially being a tester? ( and in my case your posts being ignored for no reason , but this is more of a personal matter so you can ignore I even mentioned this ).

-I will be playing an unbalanced game?

-I will be thanked constantly for my feedback or whatever like I joined some kind of cult that wants my money and keep saying Thanks in the most polite way. Or I will be getting free DLC one week after release date just so I can close my mouth or immobilize my fingers and think "you are the best"?

I got ton more to speak of and I will leave the paid DLC release 2 months after launch day.

I am not some uptight axxhole that won't tolerate bugs or unbalancing issues on newly launched games, but in this game they are not even close to the limits of my tolerance meter( and shouldn't be in any paid customer's meter ).

My biggest problem is why I will have to pay full or ANY price to be a tester, when the 80% of the current bugs would be easily identified if you paid 5 guys to play the game for 3-4 days and give them 1 day to report their bugs. 

I won't imply I know how companies works and what makes them rushing games like that but this is unacceptable, you are selling a product not a service.

Of course I am at fault too since I trusted this(and whatever "this") company and did a day one purchase.

This post is mostly saying my piece of mind and if my mentality on this matter is wrong please you are free to tell me why. I will take your words in full consideration.

• Like 6
 Between the "real thing" and the "indistinguishable fake" which is worth more?

-Of course, the real thing worth more.

-They have equal value.

-The fake is of far greater value. In its deliberate attempt to be real,

its more "real" than the real thing.

~The choice is yours~

-I will be getting frustrated because of numerous bugs ruining my first ( and most important ) experience with the game ?

-I have to create an extra account so I will report some of the bugs I encounter, essentially being a tester? ( and in my case your posts being ignored for no reason , but this is more of a personal matter so you can ignore I even mentioned this ).

-I will be thanked constantly for my feedback or whatever like I joined some kind of cult that wants my money and keep saying Thanks in the most polite way. Or I will be getting free DLC one week after release date just so I can close my mouth or immobilize my fingers and think "you are the best"?

I got ton more to speak of and I will leave the paid DLC release 2 months after launch day.

I am not some uptight axxhole that won't tolerate bugs or unbalancing issues on newly launched games, but in this game they are not even close to the limits of my tolerance meter( and shouldn't be in any paid customer's meter ).

My biggest problem is why I will have to pay full or ANY price to be a tester, when the 80% of the current bugs would be easily identified if you paid 5 guys to play the game for 3-4 days and give them 1 day to report their bugs. 

I won't imply I know how companies works and what makes them rushing games like that but this is unacceptable, you are selling a product not a service.

Of course I am at fault too since I trusted this(and whatever "this") company and did a day one purchase.

This post is mostly saying my piece of mind and if my mentality on this matter is wrong please you are free to tell me why. I will take your words in full consideration.

I am very disappointed in Obsidian right now. I've been underwhelmed with POE 2 so far. I think D:OS 2 was way more fun the first 50 hours. I hope they get us a monstrous patch before the end of May to make up for it.

• Like 3

You have a point with the 5 guys who play the game for a couple of days. I also don't get why Obsidian doesn't do more intense beta testing with some externals. There are also a lot of bugs that got reported during the beta phase but are still in the game (for example Soul Annihilation working with certain melee AoE attacks).

All in all they need to improve the QA. It's always worth the money - always.

• Like 8

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

It's not a good answer, but this is just sort of ... Obsidian. The good news is that unlike some game companies, they're actually interested in fixing the problems. The bad news is that this is par for the course with them, and that it's become so normalized in their industry that their expeditious and intelligible response to the problem is already way above the curve.

Yeah, it sucks.

(Also that's not what triggered means. I get that you're frustrated, but that's a term people take very seriously and you should avoid misusing it. I will not engage any further on this topic.)

You have a point with the 5 guys who play the game for a couple of days. I also don't get why Obsidian doesn't do more intense beta testing with some externals. There are also a lot of bugs that got reported during the beta phase but are still in the game (for example Soul Annihilation working with certain melee AoE attacks).
All in all they need to improve the QA. It's always worth the money - always.

Shigeru Miyamoto said, "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."

That's not as true as it used to be, with digital patches and whatnot, but it's still not wrong.

• Like 3

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Since always. Always, always, always. Or at least since PC games started to gain complexity at some point in the late 80's/early 90's, and ever since. Hell, Ruins of Myth Drannor uninstalled my friggin' Window's partition.

All in all, the bugs in this game are not that bad.

• Like 8

OP yeah I hear ya mate, sadly this is how it seems to work nowadays. Usually I wait a month or two before buying a new game but with pillars I just couldn't lol.

I remember playing thru Fallout 4 on survival wich removed any kind of saving except sleeping in a bed and the game would CONSTANTLY bug out or crash, loosing you sometimes 1-2 hours of gameplay. And this was months after release.

As stated above, Obsidian actually care about fixing their product and how they kept patching and updating the first game is why I consider them my favourite game developer. So I have much faith in them until they prove me wrong.

• Like 1

I get your frustration. I for one completely expected this (not that that's ok). But Obsidian has a track record of fixing and adjusting their games to be very excellent a few months down the road from release (not that that's ok).

I for one am happy the game 1) Actually runs. 2) Have not encountered any major bugs (to me at least).

I can start naming off a lot of games that 1) Didn't actually even work on launch day. 2) Were so poorly optimized on PC it was unplayable. 3) PC games that never get the fixes/optimizations they truly need.

Edited by Jayngo
  • Like 2

I for one am happy the game 1) Actually runs. 2) Have not encountered any major bugs (to me at least).

I sorta agree, at least in the sense of software bugs. But i encountered a fair few game mechanics bugs (including enemies not dying) and especially story/companion bugs.

I'm far more intolerant of story bugs than I am of 'game glitches with certain rare graphics setups.' The latter is largely a matter of statistics (there are so many configuration combinations of hardware and software), but the latter is completely on the devs.

Josh admitting that they cut the rationale underpinning the main story and none of them noticed adds some fuel to that fire.

Though... Delaying the game for a month and still releasing in this state raises my eyebrows. How horrid was it back in late march?

Edited by Voss
  • Like 5

Obsidian already delayed the launch and fixed quite a few bugs. Games and software, in general, are almost never going to be 100% on release especially complex games or software. Please point me to a modern game from the last decade of any type of complexity that either has no bugs or did not have some bugs on release. That being said, software studios are a business, and businesses have to stay profitable, Obsidian is not necessarily a small company but they aren't a giant in the industry either. They have had money and partnership issues several times over the last 5 years, indeed it was the entire reason that POE1 was crowdfunded because it wouldn't have happened otherwise. The Kickstarter money they made to fund development for POE2 basically ran out around the beginning of the year.

Also, I hear a lot of people saying that there are HUGE levels of bugs in this game, what you say is "not tolerable", exactly what kind of bugs are we talking about specifically here? I've yet to run into more than 2 bugs personally and neither were game breaking. Part of the reason that QA testing is so difficult in today's market is that you have a perfect storm of uncontrolled variables: premade engines not originally developed by the game creators (but in many cases such as this one heavily altered), cross-platform targeting to as many platforms as possible, a vastly large difference in consumer levels of viable hardware it is probably the largest it has ever been for a game as non-demanding as this and so you have a large swath of people playing on hardware that is 2 or 3 generations old. People are also most likely playing on either Windows 10 or Windows 7 those OS are vastly different at this point in both support and features. I could go on but you get the picture.

The idea that they could hire 5 people to play their game for a few days and find all the bugs and fix them is just absolute horse**** from both a technical and financial standpoint. I sure as hell hope you don't buy many games from other gaming companies because this level of "tolerability" is very benign compared to most of the market.

• Like 5

I get your frustration. I for one completely expected this (not that that's ok). But Obsidian has a track record of fixing and adjusting their games to be very excellent a few months down the road from release (not that that's ok).

I can start naming off a lot of games that 1) Didn't actually even work on launch day. 2) Were so poorly optimized on PC it was unplayable. 3) PC games that never get the fixes/optimizations they truly need.

I fully agree. As far as new releases of detailed cRPGs go, this one seems pretty decent right out of the gate. I think they should be congratulated for releasing a fully playable game of this scope, rather than being cursed for the moderate number of bugs that will always appear in new releases. Perfect is the enemy of the good -- better to make it available in an imperfect form than hold it back until every last flaw is fixed.

• Like 4

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Truth is, if you want a bug free experience then you should wait until a game is fully patched and that applies to every major release. 

Plus if you really care about money waiting also means that you can buy the game at a discount. 

So if you want a bug free and cheaper game all you have to do is be patient. 

I don't mean to be that guy but if you expect a bug free and balanced game right out of the gate then you're setting yourself up for disappointment. 

This is true of Obsidian but it's true of most (if not every) studios. 

Edited by gloomseeker
  • Like 3

It's Obsidian. Be thankful that wearing a hat doesn't break the main quest, as it happened with a certain other Bugsidian game on release....

Or that double clicking on an item in your inventory would make that item disappear forever, like in PoE1 on release (anyone remember that bug?)

Edited by fgalkin
  • Like 1

The game does one thing right...

You can just sit and look pretty, the game is a delight for sore eyes :)

Unfortunately, beauty is only screen-deep.

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

The game does one thing right...

You can just sit and look pretty, the game is a delight for sore eyes :)

Unfortunately, beauty is only screen-deep.

One thing? Your position is that the only thing the game does right is graphics?

• Like 5

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

(Also that's not what triggered means. I get that you're frustrated, but that's a term people take very seriously and you should avoid misusing it. I will not engage any further on this topic.)

One of the very few real 'rules' of language, almost like a law of nature, is that words derive their meanings from usage. "Triggered" will mean whatever people have in mind when they use it. You are free to attempt to police language use but it will only frustrate you. 

• Like 3

Huh? Triggered means provoced doesn't it? Why is it so serious? (Actually wondering and not trying to be a smartass or anything)

That's right. That is what the OP meant. You understood correctly and so,  the usage was sufficient for you to understand. That is how language actually works.  Recently, some people in universities, who should be educated enough to know better, have mistakenly thought they could control how others speak. It won't work, so you may just wish to ignore it.

"Triggered" will mean whatever it ends up meaning based on usage - those who are triggered by that fact will be in for a rough time as it is just how language works. They will become even more triggered when newly born children begin to acquire language and learn a meaning of 'triggered' that has nothing to do with the accepted definition but is, instead, consistent with how people actually speak. It's best not to be triggered by any of this. 

• Like 3

I saw this coming as so have abstained from even touch Deadfire for the time being. I'm paying for a game with my money, I don't want to pay extra with my time.

I wish Obsidian the best in their pursuit to refine and polish the game. I do think with such complex game systems, a lot of it can only be balanced once you see how things play out. Firaxis pretty much said World Congress from Civ 5 wouldn't make it into Civ 6 until a later expansion because they needed to see how all the game systems played out to even get such a feature right. That makes sense to me.

Old games used to have wonky systems all the time that would simply be whatever happened to exist in the code at launch, that would never be fixed or patched. At least in the modern era these things can continue to be refined.

• Like 2

I feel like I’m the only one who hasn’t encountered a single bug. Only had 1 crash after a like 12 hr play session the day of release if that counts (Memory leak still a problem after really long sessions, but it’s negligible when i usually play an hr a day)

Guess that crash counts then, maybe

Edited by anathanielh

Because the millennial generation with mommy's credit card created this culture. They buy everything regardless.

• Like 2

I am very disappointed in Obsidian right now. I've been underwhelmed with POE 2 so far. I think D:OS 2 was way more fun the first 50 hours. I hope they get us a monstrous patch before the end of May to make up for it.

Not me. I feel POE2 is far superior than DOS2. I just finished POE2, and have never finished DOS2. I got about halfway through DOS2 and grew bored with it. Combat is nothing but continuous reloads for me. I'm not sure how much fun reloading is to other people. Normal difficulty is quite difficult for me. I'm sure people will say I suck, but I don't suck at other games like Dragon Age: Origins or similar games.

As for bugs, I haven't really encountered any game breaking bugs. I had a couple crashes to desktop (especially when changing party members on the boat, better to do it at an inn). And some quests had weird dialogue if you did things out of order, but I was able to complete every single quest in the game except one. The last survey mission for the map maker guy in Queen's Berth. For some reason I only found one unidentified island I could name, never could find the other and I looked everywhere.

Edited by Masticator
  • Like 1

Not me. I feel POE2 is far superior than DOS2. I just finished POE2, and have never finished DOS2. I got about halfway through DOS2 and grew bored with it. Combat is nothing but continuous reloads for me. I'm not sure how much fun reloading is to other people. Normal difficulty is quite difficult for me. I'm sure people will say I suck, but I don't suck at other games like Dragon Age: Origins or similar games.

As for bugs, I haven't really encountered any game breaking bugs. I had a couple crashes to desktop (especially when changing party members on the boat, better to do it at an inn). And some quests had weird dialogue if you did things out of order, but I was able to complete every single quest in the game except one. The last survey mission for the map maker guy in Queen's Berth. For some reason I only found one unidentified island I could name, never could find the other and I looked everywhere.

OMG "far superior"

Fanboi much?

I haven't even played this game all the way thru and already I'm bored and chomping at the bit for another DoS 2 play-thru. In fact I'm installing it again right now as I type this.

• Like 1