Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Are single/multi Wizards worth it at this pt?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Shadenuat

Shadenuat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 900 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Beginning combat with Empower feels too cheap, like using Wand of Cloudkill in BG2.

• Tigranes likes this

eschu101

eschu101

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 86 posts

MC is vanilla wiz and aloth is battlemage. Both are very good and really fun. I really enjoy wizard in POE2, definitly my fav class. The grimoire system could definitly use some tweaks and more diverse unique effects, but if you choose one (like ninagauth or vaporous) and pick your skills around it is really nice. 

• Owlbear likes this

evilcat

evilcat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 882 posts

It would interesting if there was more themed grimoires like:

Dedicated to each element or two elements.

Dedicated to CC

Dedicated to Battle Mage

Absolutly grimoires dedicated to each specialization.

Example: Novice Grimoir: Allows to cast +1 spell on level 1-3, but does not contain spells from level 4+. Could be find in noobcave. Spells: ChillFog, Missiles, NecroLance, Veil, Fireball, AcidBlast.

Some named grimoires had some passive bonus. Like Fire and Spar grimoir gives bonus for fire and spark tag attacks.

So if we already picked up spells from book with levels, we can still benefit from themed grimoir.

There is also situacion that with 28 level points, we can pick x2 per tier spells for variety, and there is not much we can pick more from passives, other than collecting save bonuses. Or arms bearer for acquebuser alpha strike. But that is not way of magic.

There could be some crazy passives like "Your attack with wands are better" or "Your fire tag deals more dmg"

Or completly generic "+2 to acc with spells" so if we have spare level points could dump them on something which is not total waste.

But overall Wizards are not bad solo class, and have some potencial with MC.

Edited by evilcat, 23 May 2018 - 01:25 PM.

Shadenuat

Shadenuat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 900 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Would be amazing if many grimoires had unique powerful versions of spells/bonus effects but would penalize you in some ways - like reducing your defences, hell maybe even reducing your reputation. There's only one such grimoire in the game now afaik but penalty is not very strong (sure you can fail spells I think with it, but you get +9 spells so you fail 1 in combat, you're still getting good trade by having +8 casts).

Problem with grimoires and magic is that it's wizardysh magic, and wizardry is not the main magic system in the game which everyone's using (like, PoE2 bards do not use wizard spells). So their whole magic, and really even archmages, look like a cartoon caricature of wizards from more magic oriented settings like FR.

Edited by Shadenuat, 23 May 2018 - 01:23 PM.

KringeFiesta

KringeFiesta

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 4 posts

I am actually considering wizard from what I saw Aloth could do in late game. Just empower the 9th level missile spell = everything dead. If Aloth can do that imagine what MC can do...

As for grimoires and respeccing. I wouldn't have a problem with that, money is not an issue anyway in this game, but respec is totally bugged, at least in my game. I tried respeccing my MC to make a better build and I lost all of the teachings I had acquired in my travels(the ones that cost 3k).

dunehunter

dunehunter

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2482 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

Strangely enough from all vancian casters, Druid was affected the least. Great versatility, creat cc, damage, best heals, ability to spiritshift, lift half a dozen giants with tornado in the air during endgame, destroy packs of enemies with insect plague & later 9th level storm just obliterates everything.

Hope Josh doesn't read this. Everything is fine with druids. No change required.

If any of you played Aloth as a pure Wizard on PotD - how did you increase his accuracy

- per/acc items

- weapon modals (harder to pull off and requires some micro)

- Insightful buff

- spell combos (debuffs, followed by nukes)

- target lowest saving throw. turning off Expert will show you which is lowest

- Alchemy>Deadeye drug

- just cast more spells (grimoire of volatile wizardry)

I mean, basically, stacking. It's the basics of understanding rpg systems - look at everything that matters and stack until you get results.

There is a sabre that gives u a stackable accuracy when u hit, literally u can stack unlimited accuracy with it (yes it has no cap, and u can use it before combat).

It is really broken when combine the sabre with charge/cleave as it also has a trait to ignore recovery time for 3 sec.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users