Its supposed to be THE multiclass but the class has nearly no passive talents that you can stack as most martial classes...can only have 1.5-2 passive auras at best and on POTD even empowered chanter invocation debuffs have MAYBE a 50% hit rate....dont even try it not empowered....

I think the chanter needs desparatly passives that for example increase accuracy of invocations, increases linger time or other bonuses....honestly at this point i regret making pallegina a herald instead of a crusader

Not sure who told you that they are THE multiclass...  but anyway.

If you have Accuracy issues there are many options, Drugs being the simplest, with a solid Alchemy skill its a massive buff.  The companions have Junk stats, its like they were intentionally built to be terrible.  Perception is probably the best stat in the game, and only one is over 12 (or something painful, Maia has 16).

If you want longer Linger time, Troubadors are great, even the 'instant' ones (buffs that don't have a duration) you can keep up 2 with a reasonable Intelligence.  If you use buffs that have a duration (a lot of the higher level ones have 10 sec durations) you can keep up 3 or 4 without a problem.  They also have the most broken support ability / spell, which you can get as a Multiclass, refilling your parties ability pools (infinite ability use).

Chanters are just odd... so as I understand it, the Chant cast time (Default 6 seconds) is how long you have to actually sing to get the effect in place, before you can start singing the next, and it echoes around giving you the benefits for the Linger time (Default 3 seconds).

A Troubador using Brisk Modal Chants quicker, at the expense of no Linger.  If you try it out with a Buff effect they rapidly generate Phrases, and the effect will stay up, for their Duration.  If the modal is turned off, then the Troubador Linger goes up by +50%, and the Druation happens after that.

Trying to figure out some of the times seems to be kinda erratic, since the Durations (as listed in the Chant editor) also change based on the Modal.

​Eg. the lvl1 Raw Damage in area, with Modal on, shows Duration 3 seconds, Linger 0.  With Modal off, Duration 6, Linger 4.5. (10 Intelligence, so no + Duration on Linger).  So, for a troubadour, using this effect will have it apply for 10.5 seconds, into them starting the next song. 

Higher level chants (at least according to the tooltips) with a duration of 10 seconds (plus 4.5 seconds Linger extended by Int), would last almost 15 seconds.  So, chant effect A, move to B (14.5 seconds of A duration left when you start, finish it with 8.5 seconds left), move to C (8.5 seconds left, finish with 2.5 seconds), and back to A.  This would be with a 10 Int character, given a cap of 35 (+125% duration max, taking Linger / Troub up to over 10 seconds Linger) whether its from Monk, or Drugs, that bonus time on Linger can easily increase enough, to let you sing effect D before rolling back to A.

Chanter (non-vanilla) is one of the best classes in the game right now. I don't understand how sombody can come to another conclusion. The phrase that holds up the Brilliant inspiration alone is game breaking. But then there's also unlimited summons!

• Like 7

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

If Chanters are bad, then pretty much all the other classes bar one or two exceptions are completely useless....

Seriously though, the mind does boggle a tad at how someone can look at, oh I don't know, ciphers, rangers or rogues and somehow come to the conclusion that chanters aren't great.

Even without Brilliant inspiration cheese, (which will and needs to be nerfed) they are one of the best classes.

Having said that, I seem to recall similar discussion in POE. I think it might be more of a case that chanters playstyle just dosn't appeal to everyone. They are not the most active in combat :getlost:

• Like 1

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

If Chanters are bad, then pretty much all the other classes bar one or two exceptions are completely useless....

Seriously though, the mind does boggle a tad at how someone can look at, oh I don't know, ciphers, rangers or rogues and somehow come to the conclusion that chanters aren't great.

Even without Brilliant inspiration cheese, (which will and needs to be nerfed) they are one of the best classes.

Having said that, I seem to recall similar discussion in POE. I think it might be more of a case that chanters playstyle just dosn't appeal to everyone. They are not the most active in combat :getlost:

Well does this mean pal playstyle is even more boring? So they are even more underwelming :)

At least chanter has different type of invocations to spend on enemy, while the only thing you will do as a pal is FoD :) Boring is hell if you are not multiclassed.

• Like 2

I love chanters both in the original and in deadfire. Druids and Barbs were my go to class going way back, and I still really like them. But chanters are my new favourite. But some people could find them boring... and possibly they are not aware of how much they bring to the table just standing there scratching their heads. Their chants are great by themselves. The fact that they can make a great tank is just gravy.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Chanters are extremely powerful in both Poe I and II. You're asking for passive abilities to make chanters more competitive: that's what phrases are for.

Summons could deal absolutely no damage and still be a good use of your time since they make the enemy attack them, which is stronger than healing your team.

Their contribution to the fight isn't as flashy as a 3000 dmg meteor shower or a chain of unlimited swift flurry attacks, but chanters have insane sustained defense and offense.

One thing I always found odd, already in Pillars 1 - why is there no silencing spell/ability to interrupt chanters' chanting? They simply cannot be stopped, which is the main reason why they are so strong. Everyone else gets interrupted, chanters simply chant on.

Edited by M4xw0lf

Strange conclusions...

Chanters defianetly on of the most powerfull clases right now. They have ifinity possibilities to cast spell. They have many summons spells. Very good damaging spells. And on top of that very good "auras" for heal party, up damage party, or damadge enemies. I start PoE2 (on potd) like a chanter/fighter and drop my first playtorough cos my chanter wos too strong and game feels boring. Maby solo chanter is balansed and not so overwhelming but with party chanters power is incredible.

Edited by seed_ls

Yeah Chanters are incredibly underpowered while rangers are so OP, nerf ranger and uptune chanter plz ;)

Agreed. Obsidian did the right thing in making Twinned Arrow an active ability, but they should at least double the bond cost, if not triple it, to make it balanced :lol:

• Like 2

We should buff Chanters. My proposition:

1. Brisk Invocation gives now 1 Pharese per 1 seconds instead of 3 and keeps linger

3. Beaconer can summon 2x bigger and stronger summons and with -3 Phrases cost

4. Skald has 250% chance to get 5 Phrases back on Crit

5. Also now Brilliant is removed from Level VII and moved to Level I chant as it's sadly not good at all.

6. All damage invocation get 100% dmg buff.

Hope this changes will make chanter more appealing to players like OP :p

• Like 3

wUt?

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

I understand what he want to say. I think he speak of diversity of passives, if you exclude chants.

And indeed it is not the panacea in term of choice... But it is the case for almost all casters.

Once you have two or three chants...

Edited by theBalthazar

Chanters are amazing...ok except that non of my invocations can actually debuff anything on potd because the chance is so low its not even worth using - everything has resistances through the roofes

That only means that your accuracy is low. I had no problems Paralyzing or Charming enemies with my invocations. Sure sometimes they resist and some enemies have better resistances for specific debuffs/CC but that is normal.

Make sure you start with max Perception and use your party members to boost your accuracy to give you better chances of hitting enemies. And if they are resistant- well, some won't.

I soloed PotD with Difficulty mod + scalling up with Chanter 2 times now and I had no problems.

No caster class has acc bonuses on spells anymore. So if you have problems with a chanter to hit stuff you will also have with a wizard, a druid, a cipher, a priest...

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Tbf if brilliant gets nerfed the wrong way/"removed", chanters will be really bad single class solo and for multiclassing there is just gonna be a lot of other better options

But I think OP simply doesn't know about brilliant and summons/ccs are not as overwhelmingly good as certain passives (fighter cleave stance, pala defenses, monk swift flurry + rods, heck even driving flight etc.)

Edited by Raven Darkholme

No caster class has acc bonuses on spells anymore. So if you have problems with a chanter to hit stuff you will also have with a wizard, a druid, a cipher, a priest...

The difference is with a wizard or druid you are much more likely to go single class if you want a pure caster-nuker...you usually mostly multiclass for buffing...with a chanter which leads itself more to multiclassing of how it works it really doesnt help

besides, sure you can always create your own character or a mercenary and min max the hell out of stats and use sub classes to make some combination work fine - but i want to play the game its supposed to be with the companions i have and the stats they have been given...

Edited by Nemesis7884