Modding In New Dialogue/Conversations?

I'd like to try my hand at adding in some custom conversations or dialogue into Deadfire.....but the impression I'm getting from trawling the forums is that adding new dialogue content would be really difficult, if not impossible.

I am just about 100% new to modding, so I would love a crash-course on how I could theoretically go about making new dialogue (doesn't have to be too specific yet - just let me know if it's doable). Either that, or let me know my dream must forever remain a dream... :p

For reference, i'm thinking of adding some dialogue for the established companions - I'm not looking to create new characters.

• Like 1

I would love a crash-course on how I could theoretically go about making new dialogue

Ok, lets provide this.

The conversation system is mostly the same as in PoE 1, so you can reuse my documentation of that.

Most new things are new functions to evaluate when a node is played.

Adding to Existing Conversations is the easy part.

You need two files to add to a conversation. First its xyz.conversation file and secondly its xyz.stringtable file.

The conversation is really a graph of options, how the conversation can go on. Each option (node) has an id, and that id is used to refenece the actual displayed text in the strringtable file.

And use the information from here: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/79976-preview-pillars-of-eternity-quest-editor/

I am pretty sure that in the current version the questeditor has many reasons why it would not load some file, but i take pull requests  ;)

• Like 1