Master of Missles, alternatively MoEZ

Let me first say that I do realize this is not a proper build but solo Wizard was not posted yet.

The idea is to stack Power Levels and through it deal a lot of damage fast. 

Wizard

Evoker

Nature Godlike

MIG: 19

CON: 15

DEX: 19

PER: 18

INT: 4

RES: 3

Mechanics around 8

Stealth around 5

other active and passive skills to personal preference

Key Items

Firethrower Gloves: +2 Power Levels

Stone of Power: +1 Power Levels for duration of fight

Bounding Boots: grants Leap 

Prissy or Algol pets: regain health on kill

I finished the game with fine Xoti's Lantern, Gladiator Sword and light armor rating 5 with 0 recovery. This is surely not optimal but it was enough for me.

Get the  Firethrower Gloves asap, I've done it around level 11, I think, when I had high enough Mechanics to pick appropriate chest. Pet is essential because this build does get hit, does not have healing outside of potions (Athletics 0) but does a lot of AoE damage killing multiple enemies at once. 

Spells

For spell picks, I would not recommend Fleet Feet at level 1, though it offers itself, simply because and due to low INT Infuse With Vital Essence triggers NG racial and it's better to cast level 1 Missles instead of Fleet Feet to do damage. Besides there are not very good level 2 spells to use with this build.

Must have, not necessarily as picks but could be from Grimoire, are Minoletta's Bounding Missles, Minoletta's Concussive Missiles and Minoletta's Missile Salvo. Being surrounded a lot by a high number of enemies, other spells from Evocation like Flame Shield, Torrent of Flame, Chain Lightning, Blast of Frost and other spells not relying on INT but MIG.

Gameplay

I did not do quests requiring fighting at first, hence Mechanics and Stealth, till I got the gloves. Though (ab)using Empower seems obvious, I found it was not necessary for regular gameplay. Only used it on the toughest enemies at the end of the game. I tried to rest as little as possible and it was mostly working because I did not use Empower and was able to finish encounters with casts I had available. 

Used Potion of Invisibility once and Spell of Withdrawal twice to break encounters I found difficult to beat at one go.

That is about it. I was just trying the build fist and since it was working, somehow, I decided to finish the game with it.

Edited by knownastherat
  • Like 4

I've tried it both ways and personally I don't think taking a wizard specialization is worth it.  1 power level is really not worth losing access to 50% of wizard spells, and the evocation multicast passive is too unreliable to matter much.  Maybe if you're running a mod that reduces subclass penalties or they buff evocation to lose access to 1 school instead of 2, or +1 power level maybe, or give it a flat action speed buff with evocation spells, but for now I think just having access to something like chill fog is worth losing 1 power.  

Also, I'm not convinced that max dex is worth the int dump.  Short inspirations, small aoes, etc doesn't seem worth.  

Edited by jakesmurf

I tend to agree that Evoker specialization, along with other Wizard specializations, is probably not optimal. The game does not require optimal nor do I.

As far as INT goes, obviously I did not need it higher to finish the game and I do not think it would help me much to finish it. Since every fight starts +5 INT from Infuse With Vital Essence the AoE range is not that bad. After all, enemies tend to gang up around and for this 10 INT range was enough. Question is what would this build gain from higher INT? Longer Infuse and that is about it. Since Infuse is the only level 2 spell used, I just recast it. By the time it runs out encounter is over. This build does not DoT nor de/buffs, it just does damage fast. 

If the title would be: The best Wizard in the world, I would see your point, but the title is solo Evoker PotD. 

Edited by knownastherat

How did u abuse Empower? Is there a common bug? I'm not aware of it.

You empower some big late game 6sec (base) nuke and drop it from stealth into group of enemies to KO most of them with your alpha strike. That's not a bug per se. Just lame way to play a game but I'm not judging:) Although if a build guide specify that this type of playing is required then I'd admit its not a proper guide. I'd like builds for potd to be tested as valid for fair'n'square encounters, without resetting combat or splitpulling mobs etc. 

Edited by Phyriel

You are judging. 

Proper builds which are valid, like stacking protections so one cannot be hit, or spamming charge or using abilities granting immortality? I specifically stated I have not (ab)used Empower extensively, I would guess I used it less than most players, and also said I used invisibility once and withdraw twice. Fair and square encounters in full party with legendary gear, sounds legit. 

IMO re-stealthing is as fair game as 200 deflect, swift flurry, the lightning hat, Explosives, or anything Chanter.

Too much broken stuff to really criticize anyone.

Edited by Tosho
  • Like 1

I tend to agree that Evoker specialization, along with other Wizard specializations, is probably not optimal. The game does not require optimal nor do I.

As far as INT goes, obviously I did not need it higher to finish the game and I do not think it would help me much to finish it. Since every fight starts +5 INT from Infuse With Vital Essence the AoE range is not that bad. After all, enemies tend to gang up around and for this 10 INT range was enough. Question is what would this build gain from higher INT? Longer Infuse and that is about it. Since Infuse is the only level 2 spell used, I just recast it. By the time it runs out encounter is over. This build does not DoT nor de/buffs, it just does damage fast. 

If the title would be: The best Wizard in the world, I would see your point, but the title is solo Evoker PotD. 

Yup, your build does one thing, and it does it well. If one wants a wizard that does something else, well, use another build. :)

As an example, running a singleclass evoker in a party it would make sense to dump CON for INT and a greater focus on AOE spells since the wizard would be less exposed to damage, wouldn't have enemies ganging up on him all the time, and would be able to place the greatly increased AOE of the spells to great effect (especially taking use of the "friends don't get damaged in this part of the AOE but enemies do) zone) - but all of that is completely irrelevant to your build, where going low CON would be suicidal.

When I said death before dishonour, I meant it alphabetically.

I will put this into the build list. Please use PM to write me a short discription (a sentence or so) if you want the "Coming soon..." to be removed. :)

I'm losing track of all the threads and builds posted atm and therefore I'm asking for PMs so I don't miss stuff.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I believe the Firethrower Gloves are also available via the Port Maje unique vendor unlocked using Berath's Blessings (as I have a pair from almost start onwards).

Taking advantage of this bonus (as some people may be able to do so after a few runs to get a feel for the difficulty) is worth noting purely to ramp up your Power Level boosts sooner.

How did u abuse Empower? Is there a common bug? I'm not aware of it.

As Phyriel pointed out, its possible to open from stealth with Empowered cast dealing a huge amount of damage, possibly ending the encounter before it starts properly. Though I used it a couple of times - I do consider it kind of abuse and as I mentioned elsewhere I do not quite get why Empower was implemented into the game in the first place since I consider the mechanics itself a power abuse -, usually I started from stealth with regular cast and proceeded to empty per encounter casts while getting hit and healing myself from multiple kills. This proved to be sufficient for vast majority of encounters.  

When I say a couple of times I mean probably less than a dozen. I used it when I felt I could not beat the encounter in a reasonable time with available resources in any other way. It's just a cool story really.  

Yeah - actually INT has no effect on missiles for example.

Better aoe for Concussive Missiles, which is the best spell for this sort of character till Wilting Wind imo? Not enough of a reason, though. I understand dumping INT for solo play. Everything's clustered on you anyways. I'd like INT for group play though.

Yes I do that in the same way.

Wizard is not the best debuffer anymore. INT is useless.

Better aoe for Concussive Missiles

Extremely few more range.

We have like BIG BIG number (+100 % !) but in reality it is a short area. Not worth it.

Edited by theBalthazar

wait a wizard who dumps int

thats awesome

It is indeed ridiculous imo but I was not happy with the depart from let's say the traditional application of attributes in PoE already. Might .. represents character's physical and spiritual strength .. states the in-game description while having a biceps as the icon. It makes zero sense to me even in a fantasy world. I guess its something like "the force". Mysterious energy fueling abilities based on class. I will never accept this concept. That is for another thread though.

There are two casts of Minoletta's Concussive Missiles (1.5m radius default) per encounter, without using Empower to refresh, and while MCM is a powerful spell it does not make or break the game. In similar fashion other AoEs like Minoletta's Percisely Piercing Burst or Torrent of Flame or even Meteor Shower. Getting enemies concentrated into a relatively small area is essential for not getting hit excessively and matter of positioning. So when I was to make choice between larger area of effect (high INT) at the cost of slower cast time and recovery (low DEX because there is no room to lower another attribute imo) or being forced to be mindful of positioning in given environment while being able to act about 25% faster, I made the choice. 

I guess I should have added a disclaimer to my initial post that this build is not the most optimized build but a build I finished the game with. When I played melee Wiz in PoE with max MIG and CON while dumping RES and DEX I was told that I would get interrupted too much and would be too slow. Possibly but having a weakness it's not the end of the world. To me its role-playing and a challenge. I would not play an immortal build because it's no fun to me. 

Choice and consequence. Not TCS Best Build Ever. 

I was reading this guide and started wondering how important intellect reallt is for wiz, even a vanilla one.  Too much int also  makes hard to place a good fireball or another AoE without hitting teammates during the fight, and wizards hit damn hard. It could be important to cheese fireballs while stealthing before the fight, but that takes all the fun away.

10/12 int should be more than enough, dump resolve, max might/per/dex and you get a few points in con.

Too much int also  makes hard to place a good fireball or another AoE without hitting teammates during the fight

That's not how it works. Int increases the yellow radius, which doesn't cause firendly fire.

• Like 1

wait a wizard who dumps int

thats awesome

Mine only has 13, but it was just because I already maxed out Might, Dexterity and Perception, and there wasn't anything else worth raising.  Primarily for buff durations, and that's it.  Most of the AoE spells are not worth using aside from Chill Fog until very late game--especially if you're soloing--and you can't even use that as an Evoker.  Might, Dexterity and Perception are all way more important.

Edited by Sanctuary