Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[Class Build] The Will-Bender (Ranger/Cipher)

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Braven

Braven

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 614 posts
The echo beam, as mention by others, has strong damage, but does not help your crowd control “engine”, so I skipped it. I normally don’t have a lot of focus to spare since I charm until I run out of focus or enemies to charm. It is good to keep focus in reserve in case you need to reapply a charm; no need to burn it on a damage power unless bored.

I haven’t played enough to get a guage of charm immunities. If there are some, you should get something else to deal with those enemies. For this reason, I don’t think this is a good build to use solo unless you know the game well.

One thing I don’t like about Deadfire is that it encourages you to skimp out on abilities if you want to min/max. You lose out on a “talent” if you take ability that you might hardly ever use. As a result, you don’t end up using a lot of spells the game has to offer. You find the best couple and just spam them over and over instead of a diverse set of skills. It particularly rubs me bad when you get a strictly better version of a power later on, making the earlier version a worthless waste of ability points. If retraining wasn’t bugged, the best strategy would always be to retrain the earlier tier powers into passives after they have exceed thier usefulness.

Edited by Braven, 23 May 2018 - 12:03 PM.

Braven

Braven

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 614 posts

I tried this build for PotD solo (scale All, only up), and although I was making progress the Companion die waaay too fast. Against group of enemies it just dies after few first attacks. Moreso if they have couple of rangers with firearms. I can keep calling back new ones but I takes Bonds (so I don't really use abilities) and it takes my recovery.

Charm is super good, but if you miss it when you need it- you are dead.

What I don't like so far is having to keep all Bonds for resummoning Ghost. On the other hand I am sure that only Ghost works in early game. Normal Companion would die many times and I would suffer penalties, with Ghost I just resummon, so subclass is definitely correct for this build.

But them dying fast gets another problem- if you are left with one enemy- you can keep charming him and attack him. But more than one survived- you are pretty screwed in early game on solo.

Build is definitely interesting and later on I guess could work but it's a little bit too big of chore for me in early-mid game because of how squishy companions are.

Probably Ranger/Chanter would work better. You could just ignore your companion, take Sharpshooter and focus on summoning and then being at range.

Yep, that has been my general thought too. I thought the companion would be able to last longer, but they will never get the myrid of insane items and buffs that an actual character earns. The gun enemies really hurt too since they will ignore your companion.

I think this combination has the highest accuracy in the game but it is a novelity build. While charm is really powerful, it is still a one trick pony with bigger weaknesses than I originally thought. It would of course be really strong In party, or fine soloing at lower difficulty and could be fun for more causual play to trigger items that require a critical hit.

Edited by Braven, 23 May 2018 - 12:32 PM.

Voltron

Voltron

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 563 posts

I tried this build for PotD solo (scale All, only up), and although I was making progress the Companion die waaay too fast. Against group of enemies it just dies after few first attacks. Moreso if they have couple of rangers with firearms. I can keep calling back new ones but I takes Bonds (so I don't really use abilities) and it takes my recovery.

Charm is super good, but if you miss it when you need it- you are dead.

What I don't like so far is having to keep all Bonds for resummoning Ghost. On the other hand I am sure that only Ghost works in early game. Normal Companion would die many times and I would suffer penalties, with Ghost I just resummon, so subclass is definitely correct for this build.

But them dying fast gets another problem- if you are left with one enemy- you can keep charming him and attack him. But more than one survived- you are pretty screwed in early game on solo.

Build is definitely interesting and later on I guess could work but it's a little bit too big of chore for me in early-mid game because of how squishy companions are.

Probably Ranger/Chanter would work better. You could just ignore your companion, take Sharpshooter and focus on summoning and then being at range.

Yep, that has been my general thought too. I thought the companion would be able to last longer, but they will never get the myrid of insane items and buffs that an actual character earns. The gun enemies really hurt too since they will ignore your companion.

Honestly, the accuracy of ranger is not really needed and that is really all you are getting with them. I think this combination has the highest accuracy in the game though, so it is a bit of a novelity build in that sense. It would of course be really power in a party, or fine solo at lower difficulty.

Yeah, Obsidian always drops the balls on Companions.

Imo Companions should have classes and access to talents for them when you level up.

For example bear would be Fighter and get talents increasing armor, engage, rapid recovery etc.

Wolf would be Rogue, Bear Barbarian etc etc.

Right now they scale too poorly for anything.

Braven

Braven

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 614 posts
Yeah, most of the ranger skills are about trying to keep the companion alive, making you wonder, why should I even bother. The tier 1 chanter skeletons are better at tanking than the bear is.

Basically, the companion is just a weakish summon spell. That pile of accuracy is so tempting but it is really fiddly to actually get them all. Crits also seem generally worse in this game. You can’t interrupt with them, the extra damage is ultimately pretty negligible, and there are not a lot of items that need crits. Or more precisely, there are a lot of OP items that don’t need them at all.

I wish this class combo had something like arcane veil to help deflect opening gun shots. Those ranged crits were the biggest problem I had. They get the opening volley off before you can charm. After charm, it is just easy cleanup, though.

I changed the build to recommend high CON and lowering might instead which is not needed anyway. The damage boost from it is pretty minor overall and doesn’t help your charms as much as the other offensive stats. Soul whip and crits are enough for focus, along with high dex and durations. Could also experiment with wearing armor, at least during the early game.

Edited by Braven, 23 May 2018 - 01:07 PM.

Porcelyn

Porcelyn

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 143 posts

Are blunderbusses still good for ciphers or should I go club and bow/rifle?

Edolamberto

Edolamberto

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 70 posts
Im trying this build in a party potd.. But I really can't chose which weapon to use, I just got frostseeker bow, should I use it or stick with reload type weapon for the gunner perk?

Gruntle42

Gruntle42

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I've been playing this build for 8 levels now, and it is a lot of fun! Just a few charms really disrupt combat, and my group and I are punching way above our level as a result. Ghost Heart ranger works really well as a subclass in this build, as I can whip out a bear to tank a bit if I get in a tight spot. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users