It's one of (if not the) best bows in the game. Try it with a ranger/monk multi and Swift Flurry :)

And yes, whenever you see "Foe AoE", that means that it only affects enemies.

How does Garland`s Breath work though? Does it proc on hit/crit? Or is it an ability I use that's does a cone from the caster? Edited by Gary1986

Pretty sure it says it's an ability you get, not a proc on hit.

Is it cone from caster? Cause that seems a little strange considering it's a ranged weapon

Just tested. It's a cone from the caster and the base cone AoE does affect allies.

Still a great weapon. Tried it on Serafen and he was generating focus more reliably than with his blunderbusses. Ranger/cipher and ranger/monk would have great synergies – a ranger/monk with Swift flurry and twinned shot would fire 6 projectiles, each with a 33% chance to trigger 3 more.

Firstly.

Is the weapon as good as it sounds?

Secondly, is the upgrade Garland`s Breath an ability, or is it a proc on hit/crit?

Either way, third question, is the upgrade Garland`s Breath foe as in itdoesn't harm your own people?

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Frostseeker

Frostseeker is one of the best bows in the game if you want to abuse the GAMEBREAKING ability Swift Flurry and don't care about using a mechanic that probably wasn't intended to generate infinite instaneous damage.  

Once it gets going it will make the game extremely boring.  You will one shot entire encounters of enemies on every difficulty.  If you like playing games with no challenge just to break the system then Frostseeker + Swift Flurry is for you.  If you want to actually enjoy the combat system in the game then don't.  

You can use Frostseeker without Swift Flurry but it's pretty much just an average bow with a meh AOE damage radius on crit.  It's not bad, but it doesn't do a lot either.  Has a nifty special animation when it fires, though.  Fortunately it's somewhat viable because of the way they changed the armor system, but it applies damage from active abilities and some passives weirdly so it's not what I would consider an amazing weapon on it's own, either.  

The main reason people cite Frostseeker a lot is because it's really the only alternative to the Blunderbuss for the gimmick Swift Flurry build because it generates a lot of hits.  It's weaker than Kitchen Stove / Fire In The Hole for a Swift Flurry build, but stronger than most other ranged weapons.  

Personally though, I don't recommend it.  I tried a Swift Flurry run and abandoned it halfway through because it's essentially the same experience as if you had given yourself 100000 might via console.  It's effectively cheating, even if the game allows it through poor design.  

Edited by jakesmurf

^^ Swift Flurry is the real issue there

I hope they're smart about how they nerf it, though. It feels about right for melee weapons... maybe just add an upper limit on the amount of times it can trigger or change it to a fixed recovery bonus (the latter would kill the fun of landing a chain, though). 1 mortification is definitely too cheap for what it does currently.

It can be really buggy, but fun.

I guess we have different definitions of fun then.

I hope they're smart about how they nerf it, though. It feels about right for melee weapons... maybe just add an upper limit on the amount of times it can trigger or change it to a fixed recovery bonus (the latter would kill the fun of landing a chain, though). 1 mortification is definitely too cheap for what it does currently.

It's not balanced for melee weapons either. There are multi-projectile and cleaving melee weapons too.

• Like 1

:skull: SHARKNADO :skull:

Preventing abilities from proccing themselves should be the starting point. Then we can evaluate and reckon whether further nerfs are necessary.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

It can be really buggy, but fun.

I guess we have different definitions of fun then.

It's not balanced for melee weapons either. There are multi-projectile and cleaving melee weapons too.

Ah; I haven't run into a lot of these, so it's possible I missed something particularly game-breaking (aside from flagellant's path + dual wield, which seems to trigger chain strikes on every enemy in the path while swift flurry is activated). Anything specifically?

Edited by Purudaya

Not sure what people are talking about with Swift Flurry being the only way for Frostseeker to be OP. My Sharpshooter ranger pretty much broke the entire game once I got Frostseeker. Just critting and spamming damage well over 4x what the rest of my party does on that one character. The bow is definitely too strong. 

• Like 1