What's your feeling about the end-game? Obsidian has to improve it?

Yeah I know we're in NO SPOIL forum but I wanna your feelings nevertheless.

Are you diaspointed about the last fight? About the end of the main quest? About the clymax?

Like other RPG (Mass Effect 3 for exemple or Witcher 2 vanilla edition), Obsidian has to improve the ending with FLC or DLC?

Edited by DaKatarn
  • Like 1

Very quick ending. Seemed unfinished and unsatisfying. The story was like 10% of the entire game and overall the game pretty short for a seemingly big open world map. There should have been at least another large main city with quests like Neketaka. Or split up the Deadfire into Acts.

Either way I'd give the game an 8/10. Still a lot of things to do after 40hrs being finished with my first playthrough. Going to try POTD next with blessings. It's super fun. Just a shame it's not longer.

Yeah I know we're in NO SPOIL forum but I wanna your feelings nevertheless.

Are you diaspointed about the last fight? About the end of the main quest? About the clymax?

Like other RPG (Mass Effect 3 for exemple or Witcher 2 vanilla edition), Obsidian has to improve the ending with FLC or DLC?

Just abandon it completely as a waste of time. Go back and flesh out the faction and companion stories. Those are what matter.

While the final area of a long, complex CRPG can often feel rushed and empty, there is a bit more going on with Deadfire. Certain plot bombshells are dropped towards the end of the game, which would seem to directly contradict well-established lore from the first game.

I love the game and want it to succeed, but I cannot deny that many passionate fans are unable to agree if/how the first game has been retconned. Whatever else Obsidian wanted from the story, they certainly have inspired fierce debate -- nobody can agree on anything. :grin::rolleyes:

Josh Sawyer has acknowledged that these bombshells had more detailed explanations in dialogue, but such dialogue was trimmed towards the end of development.

I imagine the devs and programmers have their hands full with bugfixing and the new DLCs...nonetheless, it might go a long way to improving the game -- and community -- if some sort of "extended cut" or "restored content" were made available. Whether that would take the form of a free DLC, or would be divided among the upcoming 3 paid DLC, is something that would have to be determined. I don't think they should attach a "restored" ending to an after-game purchase, though

Edited by glennjones130486
  • Like 1

Eothas was doing, more or less, what I predicted he would be doing, so it's hard to feel as though there was some big problem with the story. 

As far as "bombshell retconning", I think there's one line in the first game that directly contradicts what we're told in the second. 

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I really did not like that the ending is non-negotiable and the only (very minor) difference you can make is with a short conversation just before the end, regardless of any choices you made up to that point. Also, as others have said many times, the main quest seems very disconnected from all the other stuff going on in the game, especially the faction quests.

The strength of Deadfire is it's ruleset and mechanics IMO, and the main quest does very little to use that strength. I hope we will get more enemies, better difficulty, and a few real dungeons with the DLC. Considering the groundwork is already laid, some more dungeon crawling and combat heavy content would go a long way

Pillars 1 players: FACTIONS DON’T MATTER ENOUGH!!

Obsidian: (makes factions matter a lot)

Pillars 2 players: FACTIONS MATTER TOO MUCH!!

• Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Wait, who's claiming factions matter in this one? Let alone that they matter too much?

They need a lot more fleshing out, since they've ended up the meat of the game by default. (As the 'main story' is an irrelevance and nonsense)

@yoyoll- got to disagree. A lot of the mechanics are terrible. Poe1 wasn't great, but some of these changes are barely functional at all (like armor)

Edited by Voss

@yoyoll- got to disagree. A lot of the mechanics are terrible. Poe1 wasn't great, but some of these changes are barely functional at all (like armor)

You could be right. Tbh I can't tell at the moment because the hardest difficulty is still a joke. So after the DLCs are released and the game is patched and balanced, I'll play again and have a much better idea.

At the moment, though, everything feels pretty good to me. The only major issues I've noticed so far have been:

1. Some multiclass combinations are very underpowered and some are very overpowered.

2. Some skills straight up don't work. I got slippery mind on my PC and wanted to respec when I found out it doesn't do anything, but couldn't cause of the respec bug. But I assume this is completely unintentional.

3. Casters are in a real weird space right now since spells are abilities. Lots has been said on this and I won't pretend to know the solution, but something has to change.

Other than those, the mechanics feel like a big improvement over Pillars 1. I'm still not sure where I stand on the health/endurance debate, but so far that hasn't seemed to have a huge effect. I also like the new food and resting mechanic. And the crafting/enchanting feels much less shoehorned in than it did in Pillars 1.

• Like 1

Story wise I was happy enough with the ending. It kind of felt like it was missing something, but I'm not sure what.

Length of game was alright, I clocked in 89 hours at the finish. I take my time exploring. Exploring was the high point of the game.

As for factions mentioned above, they were the more interesting part of the game. The main quest was so-so. But I'm really really getting tired of gods and stuff in fantasy games. I actually prefer a game such as Dragon Age: Origins (which still is my favorite fantasy setting game) which had a more subtle hero who wasn't the savior of the world (he only saved Fereldan when you think about it, other nations could have stopped the blight with their grey wardens). I actually prefer political intrigue of the factions more than I do all this gods stuff. I'd love to see a fantasy game with no gods. :) Maybe that's why Fallout: New Vegas is my favorite game of all time, no gods.

Although I worry about the faction theme becoming overdone. As it was done with New Vegas, Fallout 4, and this game as well. All 3 games had 4 major factions (though In NV one faction was yourself) you could side with. Maybe move away from the number 4. :) Otherwise it will tend to get boring fast. If you do go with factions, make the choices even more significant so things really change once you start supporting a faction. I felt like nothing changed at the end of my faction quest line in this game, and no new dialogue that I saw. I want empire changing events here. I know the end screens take that place, but I can't help but want more.

Main story was too short .

I won't go and say it was dissapointing , because while main story is my bible....let's just say I've played worse . So it's not to that level .

But I do wish it was the main story that dragged us around and not side quest . I also wish there were more IMPORTANT (and a fight) at the end .

I also wish there were more Urgency , more...OMG THE WORLD GONNA END hysteria as you reach the ending . *Shrug*..a story is only good if it take you on a rollercoaster of emotions . 

Take Fallout 4 , it was also short like this game...but at least...I had alot of 'Rage , angst , sorrow' in the dialogues choices . You add the setting and you are swimming in a nice pool of 'give me kleenex' . But here , you go to places where the Huana are like in the Bahamas , taking a tan and no fuss no worry (save for their personal issue with the many factions)...but nothing related to the main story . 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller