Aside from him being popular, I think they put Aloth in the sequel not because of anything related to the main plot, but to give him closure with the Leaden Key. It was left hanging in the open in his POE1 ending. In the sequel you can see him doubting himself and wavering about what course to take with the Leaden Key and you can help him finally decide. I think it's fine, not every companion should obligatory be tied to the main plot.

• Like 1

Aloth felt like the odd one out to me. Doesn’t really seem to have a vested interest in what’s going on. Probably shouldn’t have made the cut.

Yeah well, Eder doesn't really fit either, but at least he's still his old self, unless you are an a$$hole, in which case he's all surprised about it lol. Pallegina wasn't necessary either tbh. Aloth being in the game was a major selling point to me, but in the end he was the game's greatest disappointment. It feels, as you say, like he was just thrown in, and to make matters worse, turned from shy and opaque but loveable weirdo into an obnoxious git that controls you via their superficial approval/disapproval of other characters and unimportant stuff, while putting on this great show about not liking bossy.

Eder is justified by his relationship with Eothas, though this is somewhat undermined by the overlap with Xoti.

I was very surprised (unless I just totally missed something) Eder didn’t seek further information about what happened with his brother, given the resolution to his companion quest in PoE 1 was (for me) something like Eder tracing his brother to meeting Waidwen/Eothas, then being resigned to never getting a chance to know more, and my Watcher telling him not to worry, I’m sure another way will come up.

Pallegina makes sense I think given her established relationship with a major faction. Each major faction has one companion representing them, Eothas has two companions, Aloth’s link to what’s going on seems tenuous at best.

• Like 1

I don't think a joke can be irresponsible unless it's practical. For instance, I have a friend who is a physician, jokes about his work all the time, with friends and patients alike, sometimes (rarely) in bad taste even. Most responsible guy I know. 

No of course not. But we are talking about a game here not real life, and companion relationships aren't the most important part of the game, hence simplification.

Honestly I am okay with the system. I miss the time when I don't have to worry about what I pick in conversation unless I want to murder someone, but if this type of disposition is what requires me to have more conversations/romances/flirts/etc., I am good with that.

At least its not DAI where the options are so not transparent that your character comes of as borderline psychotic.

Costs of simplifying something that is incredibly complex, I guess. Just like @Slotharingia described in his last post, it completely changed my perception of Aloth. It is never fun to realize that all of it was just your silly headcanon, hence me being a bit salty.

Agreed on the DAI 100%.

• Like 1

My biggest problem with Aloth being in Deadfire is how we happen to run into him on dome random island where we accidentally crash. What were the chances?

It's a game, chances are great  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Aside from him being popular, I think they put Aloth in the sequel not because of anything related to the main plot, but to give him closure with the Leaden Key. It was left hanging in the open in his POE1 ending. In the sequel you can see him doubting himself and wavering about what course to take with the Leaden Key and you can help him finally decide. I think it's fine, not every companion should obligatory be tied to the main plot.

I dunno. His story didn't seem that unresolved at the end of 1, and the Leaden Key involvement (or lack thereof) in Deadfire is weird. I'm not sure I even get what it was really about and this would be way worse for new players. I do agree he needn't be tied to the main plot, but still feel he should have more to him than dictating who we should hang out with and lecturing us about tradition if we don't obey, which is unfortunately all I seem to have got out of him thus far. I also think he should act differently depending upon whether he's anti or pro leaden key (and also depending upon the relationship in 1, but I've already prattled about that enough). As in, stewardship/pro tradition if he's pro leaden key, autonomy/anti tradition if he's not; and also not have the dutiful disposition conflicting with the anti tradition one. I'd like to think that aspect is related to his own inner conflicts with Iselmyr, but I doubt it.

My biggest problem with Aloth being in Deadfire is how we happen to run into him on dome random island where we accidentally crash. What were the chances?

Haha yeah. I can't say I gave it any thought, but it is pretty ridiculous. They could've had him be somewhere else and contact you without too much difficulty.

• Like 1

nvAeseu.png

As in, stewardship/pro tradition if he's pro leaden key, autonomy/anti tradition if he's not; and also not have the dutiful disposition conflicting with the anti tradition one. I'd like to think that aspect is related to his own inner conflicts with Iselmyr, but I doubt it.

Well, let's hope this bug is fixed and some other disposition(s) is(are) added. Among the companions he has the fewest number of those, so it's hard to please him even without those two bugged ones, this just ain't right.

Edited by Aramintai
  • Like 2

This kind of sums it up.
Shimmer: (says nothing)

Aloth sighs through his nose.

He's not judging Director Castol is he? What would be the point xD

-edited cos uploaded the wrong file

post-177112-0-62673200-1527324393_thumb.png

Edited by Slotharingia

nvAeseu.png

I think Aloth's function is to serve as a kind of proxy for the Watcher's inner dilemma, or at least possible thoughts your Watcher could be having depending on how you characterize them. His issue this game is all about unforeseen consequences of a person's actions, even the ones done with the best of intentions, and the Watcher's mission is to nudge both Eothas and the powers of the Deadfire in a direction of the Watcher's choosing, without knowing what the outcome will be. 

• Like 4

I think Aloth's function is to serve as a kind of proxy for the Watcher's inner dilemma, or at least possible thoughts your Watcher could be having depending on how you characterize them. His issue this game is all about unforeseen consequences of a person's actions, even the ones done with the best of intentions, and the Watcher's mission is to nudge both Eothas and the powers of the Deadfire in a direction of the Watcher's choosing, without knowing what the outcome will be. 

You mean his personal quest I assume?

nvAeseu.png

Regardless of any issues related to his inclusion, I still think that Aloth's introduction and fake backstory as "Engferth" is a comedic highlight of the Port Maje segment of the game.

The guy has such an uncreative mind.

Edited by Skazz
  • Like 2

This kind of sums it up.

Shimmer: (says nothing)

Aloth sighs through his nose.

He's not judging Director Castol is he? What would be the point xD

-edited cos uploaded the wrong file

Yep, this is a bug (not sure if it is just visual or actually affecting rep score). Had the exact same conversation while being on positive terms with VTC, Aloth didn't disapprove of anything. And as I posted in another thread, I had "Aloth disapproves" tag upon starting conversation with a kid hanging out near performers in Queen's Berth, which magically disappeared after I reloaded and talked to the kid again.

Edited by CaptainBiscuit
  • Like 1

Regardless of any issues related to his inclusion, I still think that Aloth's introduction and fake backstory as "Engferth" is a comedic highlight of the Port Maje segment of the game.

The guy has such an uncreative mind.

It's pretty funny he seemed to have blown his own trumpet in his "recommendation"  xD

• Like 2

nvAeseu.png

That bit is amazing. I still listen to the whole thing each time I recruit Aloth. "In a fire." :grin:

• Like 1

That bit is amazing. I still listen to the whole thing each time I recruit Aloth. "In a fire." :grin:

How often have you played it? :o

nvAeseu.png

How often have you played it? :o

I've completed the game seven times now (not 100%, most times it was critical path with a few sidequests), going on eight, and I always recruit Aloth.

Wow and you still manage to get approval with him when I can't get it doing literally everything and carting his ass with me. xD I've almost completed my second playthrough doing everything and he's the only character that was always in the party both times lol.

nvAeseu.png

You're purposefully making it hard on yourself. There are exploits, console commands and the Unity mod - any would get you to max approval, despite the bugs. Or you can just wait for the patch.

Edited by Tarlonniel
  • Like 1

You're purposefully making it hard on yourself. There are exploits, console commands and the Unity mod - any would get you to max approval, despite the bugs. Or you can just wait for the patch.

This times twenty.

The Unity mod is extremely easy to use, doesn't block achievements, and is a godsend for bypassing any relationship bugs that may occur during a playthrough. That and the many other nice things it allows you to do on the fly (like fixing a messy respec or freely enchanting any non-unique weapon or armor you can find).

I was on the fence with going through with my "main" playthrough until I downloaded the mod. After that, there wasn't much point in waiting anymore.

Edited by Skazz

Idk, I feel like it should be possible without cheating, especially when reading comments from people who claim it's easy, not bugged, and imply I must be playing some kind of obnoxious git Aloth cannot possibly be expected to fancy. That kind of makes me feel like I'd be forcing him. I know I'm stubborn and weird  xD

nvAeseu.png

Had to search for this as I had no clue where we discussed it. I had to figure out how to use the console cos the Nemnok quest bugged out and I'm sick of buggy quests in my current pt. So I thought, might as well try the Aloth cheat while I'm at it. I had to input the cheatcode for his approval about 20 times before getting to +2. This basically means I have no hope in hell of getting it up normally as I have literally no idea at all what I'm doing wrong xD

nvAeseu.png