Should the Kapana Taga change its weapon type to club?

Should the Kapana Taga change its weapon type to club?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Kapana Taga change its weapon type to club?

Ah, see, I didn't know about the "sword CRUSH!!!" part (haven't seen it in the game, yet). In that case, it is pretty unique (and will probably stay that way even after weapon distribution gets an update), and I'd rather keep it as it is.
I mean, I won't lose any sleep over a change and will only post an extensive forum rant if I'm really, really bored and/or drunk.  :grin:  But generally speaking, as a preference. :)

Edit: Hah, I can change my vote. Nice.

Edited by Varana
  • Like 1

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

Frankly I haven't used it in any of by builds because other swords were always more tempting.

If it's changed to to club will it's stats change? Given that clubs are usually faster with lower damage (do they still get an accuracy bonus too?)

Also, while a sword with crush damage is unique a club with slash damage is even more so, given the lack of club alternatives. And if I recall correctly it currently does slash/crush. So I don't see that as a reason for keeping it as a sword

I do understand and agree that there is an obvious lack of unique clubs.
And a pretty obvious surplus of unique sword.

My question would be, if that alone is reason enough to change the weapon type of the Kapana Taga.

Especially when I would assume that the upcoming DLCs will try to address the shortages of certain weapon types anyway.

Frankly I haven't used it in any of by builds because other swords were always more tempting.

That is okay and I take that into consideration. I have also already found some builds on the forum that use the Kapana Taga, like here and here.

I would say it's still too early to say if it can compete with the other swords. We would need more data for that. And again the question would be, does that warrant changing its weapon type?

Will people ignore the Kapana Taga as long as it is a sword but almost always use it as long as its a club?
Well if it's a club, then you have two unique clubs. So players who use clubs may be more likely to use it. But will players actually turn from sword to clubs just for the Kapana Taga?

Aren't players more likely to invest in swords and use swords because there are so many swords in the first place? Yes, that means the competition for the Kapana Taga as a sword is higher. But we may have more players who use swords than clubs to begin with. Those effects could cancel each other out.

And again all of this line of thinking seems wrong to me.

The Kapana Taga has characteristics from both swords and clubs. If we cannot have a multitype "sword/club", then I'd say the Kapana Taga should be of the type that it resembles most. And that is of course a matter of subjective opinion and perception.

And I regard a macuahuitl as both, sword-like and club-like - but more of a sword than a club. But I'm very well aware that you can see it easily enough the other way around.

Edited by Fluffle

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

I voted club because actually it's used and handled like a club. You won't thrust with it, you won't parry with it, you won't use half-swording and so on.

You just wack stuff (with a bit of edge alignment) and cut because that paddle has razor sharp splinters.

You wield it more like a club that can cut than like a sword that can crush.

I order to make it a more unique club it could do slash/crush damage - unlike other clubs.

• Like 4

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I voted club because actually it's used and handled like a club. You won't thrust with it, you won't parry with it, you won't use half-swording and so on.

You just wack stuff (with a bit of edge alignment) and cut because that paddle has razor sharp splinters.

You wield it more like a club that can cut than like a sword that can crush.

I order to make it a more unique club it could do slash/crush damage - unlike other clubs.

What I would really dislike is if the type would only be changed because there are so many unique swords and far too few unique clubs. That's the wrong reason in my opinion.

The reason should have something to do with the Kapana Taga alone. And you gave such a reason.

---

"Obsidian Sword" is an alternate way of calling a "macuahuitl" in our world. That's why I love calling it "Obsidian Sword" in the game. I'm pretty sure they won't introduce the term "macuahuitl" and that's good.

So changing it to a club would mean you'd have an "Obsidian Sword" that is a club. Or you'd call it "Obsidian Club" and then you'd lose the indirect reference to macuahuitls.

For the moment I'm inclined to let this question unanswered/open. We will probably not be able to change the type of the weapon back and forth whenever and however we like. So there will probably be no way back once it's changed. So I would prefer to let some more time pass. Let players play the game and discover our weapon. Let them experience it. Let them give time to form an opinion that we can take into consideration.

And let there be time for Obsidian to introduce new unique clubs, so that people don't just want to change the type of the Kapana Taga for the single reason that there should be more clubs.

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

... actually, is there a one-handed crush/slash melee weapon type?

Because stone/glass clubs like the macuahuitl could actually be a great way to add that to the game. It'd be a fair bit of work, but it would be a cool addition for one of the big DLCs or something.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Is there a club that does slashing damage? Because as crush makes it unique for a sword slashing or other damage type could make it unique for a club (for instance, piercing for shards of obsidian you are stabbing into people)?

EDIT: read the latest posts, in that case I definitely think slashing (or piercing!) damage for a club would be the best way to go personally.

Edited by FlintlockJazz

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

perhaps make it soul bound, and type the weapon when it's bound?

---edit

if it's possible?

Edited by Casper

Yesterday, upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish he'd go away... -Hughes Mearns

is there a reason why we can't have both? does it have to be one or the other?

Yesterday, upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish he'd go away... -Hughes Mearns

Could you scroll down a bit and show me if anything has changed in the description of the Kapana Taga with the latest beta patch?

Could you scroll down a bit and show me if anything has changed in the description of the Kapana Taga with the latest beta patch?

It is now called "obsidian club" in the description.
Also, it seems some enchantments are nerfed. Champion's Relic no longer increases damage bonus(Only adds +1 engagement), and Lone Champion gives +4 deflection instead of 5.

post-188397-0-76376900-1528007555_thumb.png

Edited by Gilded Hand

Well, uhm, well, you know I am not fond of these changes.

But it's not like my opinion has more weight than that of my fellow BIB backers. And more of them voted for yes than for no and Boeroer did give a good reason for why it should be a club.

I guess, I'll live... somehow...

The Kapana Taga is not an obsidian sword anymore... and it has been nerfed...

If you'd excuse me now, I'm gonna cry and lick my wounds...  :mellow:  :(  ;(  

• Like 2

Sure there are a lot of "unique swords", but the only legendary requires you to kill an important NPC a lot of us might not want to kill, and the only other one better than Kapana Tanga is watcher only.

Why not just make some new clubs and place them in a couple appropriate points of the game?

Well, uhm, well, you know I am not fond of these changes.

But it's not like my opinion has more weight than that of my fellow BIB backers. And more of them voted for yes than for no and Boeroer did give a good reason for why it should be a club.

I guess, I'll live... somehow...

The Kapana Taga is not an obsidian sword anymore... and it has been nerfed...

If you'd excuse me now, I'm gonna cry and lick my wounds...  :mellow:  :(  ;(  

I strongly believe that the nerfs don't have anything to do with the whole club-or-sword thing. All the good weapons got a nerf because - let's face it - they were just too good. If you find an item and it just makes all the creativity/ideas/efford you put into your character pointless then it's too good. And the Kapana Taga was too good in my opinion. Now it's still a great weapon, but doesn't feel like "oh sure, the BIB fanbois got the awesomest weapon because they licked boots" anymore. ;)

The actual change from sword to club was done decently I think. 

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Sure there are a lot of "unique swords", but the only legendary requires you to kill an important NPC a lot of us might not want to kill, and the only other one better than Kapana Tanga is watcher only.

Does it really matter whether a unique is legendary or not when you can easily get enough money to upgrade them to legendary late game?

Does it really matter whether a unique is legendary or not when you can easily get enough money to upgrade them to legendary late game?

Money yes, not so sure about the materials.

however, i could never seem to find enough pyrite to upgrade a lot of my gear to exceptional, let alone superb or beyond.

however, i could never seem to find enough pyrite to upgrade a lot of my gear to exceptional, let alone superb or beyond.

I've been finding lot's of pyrite by killing Fire Giants near Ashen Maw.

I've been finding lot's of pyrite by killing Fire Giants near Ashen Maw.

i found like 2-4 pieces in and around ashen maw, didn't seem like enough to do much of anything with.

---edit typo

Edited by Casper