Multi-hit weapons, AEs, and swift flurry - also spell resist

Okay, I hate to say it, but we gotta be honest, these combine WAY too well, hands down. There should probably just be a limit to the number of triggers or something from a single attack!

I say that because I just triggered literally, I counted, 71 attacks off a single attack using a weapon that fires three shots which, when they crit, trigger an AE, which seem to then count as "attacks" on other targets and, thus, trigger another salvo of three shots on that target, which triggers another AE, etc. etc. They don't all even fit in one screenshot with the combat log expanded, there's a whole 'nother page.. and again this was literally from one attack, the first in the combat. I think the biggest 'trick' is that when the weapon crits it causes an AE and if THAT crits it can trigger a swift-flurry attack, which then starts it all over again with enemies in a cluster.

I mean, there's "synergy" and then there's "one attack from one character mowing down six or seven enemies at once with a basic attack in an insane endless fussilade". Seems a tiny little bit supremely excessive for certain weapons and abilities.

Also, I noticed a very annoying issue of 'spell resist/reflect' preventing things like the Alchemist's belt from summoning potions to your quickslots at the start of combat. :(

post-32590-0-69412800-1526954608_thumb.jpg

Well, for that to happen you need to crit often and have many weak enemies around. You can obtain at least the same kind of damage with a single AoE spell, which is less spectacular, but more effective and reliable. Now if you could pull that on a boss it might mean something (even if there are probably even more OP abilities than that)

I hope they don't nerf frostseeker. It is my favourite bow and you can get it early.

The issue isn't Frostseeker, the issue is how Swift Flurry works with multi-shot weapons that also trigger AEs. ANd I'd say you definitely cannot get 71 hits from a *SINGLE* spell. All the combat log I'm showing is from one single attack, combat literally started and arrows just flew and AEs triggered and arrows flew. Maybe I didn't make it clear enough - I attacked ONCE with a basic attack in the image above. There are no AE spells that compare to that~

And yeah, it "only works on weaker enemies" .. until you buff up your accuracy, get hits->crits gear, flank, debuff the enemy and rail down a colossus boss in four rounds of basic attacks like it's a total joke. It doesn't even take clusters to be way too good! It's obviously way out of whack - synergies should be good, not game trivializing!

It's probably as simple as the crit-triggered AE of Frostseeker shouldn't trigger extra attacks via swift flurry, or swift flurry should be capped at triggered X number of attacks, rather than being able to spew out literally 71 attacks off a single shot. Each of the three shots can crit, and if they do it triggers an AE ice blast, which can crit, and hit multiple enemies - the crits of which trigger more shots, which triggers more swift flurry, et cetera. Frostseeker doesn't need nerfed, Swift Flurry probably just needs a little nudge to avoid obvious abuse of rolling hits like that with multi-hit/multi-shot weapons and whatnot. Like it can only trigger three extra hits total per attack or somethin'. Still really good, but not ridiculous with a few niche weapons.

Edited by Losian

Well, for that to happen you need to crit often and have many weak enemies around. You can obtain at least the same kind of damage with a single AoE spell, which is less spectacular, but more effective and reliable. Now if you could pull that on a boss it might mean something (even if there are probably even more OP abilities than that)

Uhhh, this is super easy to do on a boss.  

I tried a swift flurry build on my first playthrough and started a different run after I 1 shot the kraken while triple-red-skull underleveled on POTD.  

Just remove monk from the game in next patch and release him again after it's closer to normal class than to cheat. Its not even swift flurry, I did few test runs up to level 10-13 with multiple tier 1 damage/dps classes and monk outshines everything as dps and its not even close, my monks had often 35-40k damage while other tier 1 dpses like 10k tops. Single class monk at high level is probably even more retarded than multiclassed (give him a chanter with replenish resources gg). T

There are some other broken combos like priest/pala with chanter that becomes immortal... forever... from level 13 onward. With pala its atleast somewhat bad dps but with priest you can get +fire powerlevel items, use death godlike and spam empowered rain of blue fire that hits for close to 200 damage on fampyrs at level 15 in huge aoe. 

I'd say its not yet time to balance items. Whole classes need to be rebalanced and this ultimate broken **** has to go away... right now balance is like in Tyranny where you were able to assemble dragonball level of damage already in early/mid game and you didn't even need any items to do that. Same in poe 2 atm. Its hard to get immersed if you can faceroll so much with every second class.