Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Is riposte just bad?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 12715 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
That would be nice. Doesn't even need to be 30% like in PoE.

Lampros

Lampros

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1188 posts

Junk, pretty much. Unless you can stack your deflection up to 150. If you can, you have a 25% chance of getting a free full attack IF they target your deflection. That's a really big if by the way. Considering the fact that the final boss is a dragon and likes to hit your reflex instead, you are kinda boned if you rely on riposte. Most bosses like to spam abilities so chances are they won't target your deflection too. 

Conclusion: Junk as a build around. Junk as a bonus since you have to build around it to even stand a chance of getting that bonus.

150 shouldn't be THAT difficult on certain builds - namely Paladin/Trickster or Fighter (with Conquerer Stance)/Trickster. But Mirrored Image and Llengrath's Displaced Image do not stack, right? I just checked my level 20 Paladin, and I made 132 Deflection on a dumped Resolve build Holy Slayer with just Mirrored Image.

whimper

whimper

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
On solo runs, I think Riposte is fantastic, even if you’re not running a super high deflection build. So many things attack you that a fair number will miss, and if a reasonable number of those lead to ripostes you can significantly increase how much damage you dish out...

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 12715 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Mirrored Image stacks with Llengrath's Safeguard or Vigorous Defense.

It's possible to get to 150+ Deflection with a Trickster/Fighter while using Mirrored Images and Refreshing Defense and Mob Stance (instead of Warrior Stance). With several engagement slots and Persistent Distraction and Riposte you can be a great tank who also passively debuffs 6 enemies and deals good damage. In such a setup Riposte can add good dps to your build. Arcane Knight can work as well but has less attack speed bonuses and engagement.

A more risky approach but also more satisfying I tried out is to use an Arcane Knight or Battlemage with Citzal's Spirit Lance and Riposte. You might need to get Bracers and Cape of Greater Deflection. High Intimidate and that scarred Breastplate I forgot the name of is also nice.

Riposte is obviously worse on PotD.

Edited by Boeroer, 11 October 2018 - 09:39 PM.

• Lampros likes this

Lampros

Lampros

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1188 posts

Mirrored Image stacks with Llengrath's Safeguard or Vigorous Defense.

It's possible to get to 150+ Deflection with a Trickster/Fighter while using Mirrored Images and Refreshing Defense and Mob Stance (instead of Warrior Stance). With several engagement slots and Persistent Distraction and Riposte you can be a great tank who also passively debuffs 6 enemies and deals good damage. In such a setup Riposte can add good dps to your build. Arcane Knight can work as well but has less attack speed bonuses and engagement.

A more risky approach but also more satisfying I tried out is to use an Arcane Knight or Battlemage with Citzal's Spirit Lance and Riposte. You might need to get Bracers and Cape of Greater Deflection. High Intimidate and that scarred Breastplate I forgot the name of is also nice.

Riposte is obviously worse on PotD.

I am really beginning to doubt the utility of Mob Stance over Conquerer Stance. Once again, it may be my play-style, but I am running 5 melees (including the 2 pets from the Ranger multi-classes), and I just do not seem all that out-numbered even in PotD. In that context, I'd rather have the potential +10 Accuracy and Deflection.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 12715 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Hehe - I just realized that I recommended a combo that I tried out with the help of the console: Arcane Knight with Riposte is not really possible... Was fun nonetheless. ;)

Well Conquerer Stance doesn't stack with other ACC or Deflection buffs so I never use it after the early game. Mob Stance however not only gives you more attack speed but also a free Full Attack on kill. If Riposte kills it triggers another Full Attack and so on. It surely is better for my playstyle than Conquerer Stance or Defender Stance. Although the dmg reduction from Defender Stance is nice as well.

Edited by Boeroer, 12 October 2018 - 04:51 AM.

• whimper and Lampros like this

Lampros

Lampros

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1188 posts

Hehe - I just realized that I recommended a combo that I tried out with the help of the console: Arcane Knight with Riposte is not really possible... Was fun nonetheless. ;)

Well Conquerer Stance doesn't stack with other ACC or Deflection buffs so I never use it after the early game. Mob Stance however not only gives you more attack speed but also a free Full Attack on kill. If Riposte kills it triggers another Full Attack and so on. It surely is better for my playstyle than Conquerer Stance or Defender Stance. Although the dmg reduction from Defender Stance is nice as well.

Really? I did not realize it doesn't stack with other buffs. Damn, what's the point then? :(

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 12715 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

It's an active ACC or Deflection buff. Those don't stack with other active ACC or Deflection buffs (like Devotions or Shields for the Faithful). It stacks with +5 PER inspirations of course. And with Vigorous Defense (for some complicated reasons). But since I nearly always bring a Preist...

• Lampros likes this

Hulk'O'Saurus

Hulk'O'Saurus

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • Steam:Yaz Mataz

You can very well do with it a Rogue/Wizard and why not?

Albeit Arcane Veil has got a short duration of about 25-30 seconds when properly speced into, that does give you ample time to kill a lot, if not all, of the stuff, especially where Citzal's Lance is concerned. 

PS: Chill Fog would help somewhat with that. Though, I immagine you wouldn't want the lower recovery. 

Edited by Hulk'O'Saurus, 12 October 2018 - 05:46 AM.

thelee

thelee

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 778 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

To add on to what's been said: Riposte is not junk. Its power level is roughly in line with most other passives in the game or in the rogue tree. But unlike most of those other passives, Riposte has really high upside if you multi-class, are a trickster, or are otherwise able to even get your deflection up even modestly (frankly just even using Escape every now and then gives you high Riposte upside). And in certain set ups Riposte can be a huge DPS increase even considering a lowish proc rate.

Sometimes I think people on the forums are like "this isn't as easily abusable as in PoE1 or as I initially thought. Therefore it must suck because those two extremes are the only options."

Edited by thelee, 12 October 2018 - 09:16 AM.

• Prince of Lies, whimper and Lampros like this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 12715 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
It would be nice if it also triggered on some grazes though. Getting misses on a SC rogue is kind of hard.

thelee

thelee

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 778 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

It would be nice if it also triggered on some grazes though. Getting misses on a SC rogue is kind of hard.

hence trickster :)

a rogue can still equip shield and get weapon and shield proficiency, however blasphemous that might sound for a "striker" class.

you can also lean on an ally (priest, paladin for +25 and to a lesser extent chanter for +10 and cipher for mindweb). it is a party game, after all, even though a lot of us like to talk builds that are "self-contained" even though most of them would probably likely flop for an actual solo attempt.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users