What game did you bought last?

Angels of Death

Open Sourcery

Divinity: Original Sin 2

Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition

Why did I buy Neverwinter Nights despite hating it with a fervor? 1) Because I remember liking parts of it, like Hordes of the Underdark. 2) I want to play Darkness Over Daggerford. 3) I am a horrible person and deserve to be punished.

You, are man of culture. Cheers.

Before the Halloween Sale ended in a few hours on Steam,

I quickly picked up the 3 games and one DLC below ;

Anachronox. 

ICY: Frostbite Edition.

Batman Arham Origins, plus

it's Cold Cold Heart Story DLC.

Edited by wolfrider100

" Life... is strength. That is not to be contested, it seems

logical enough. You live, you affect your world. "

Jon Irenicus ´

Bought Red Dead Redemption 2(Xbone) instead of Call of Cthulhu.

I feel...like a filthy casual.

Now to install and update...

No need..

This is the general concensus:

*Hardcore rpg gamer tries Red Dead Redemption 2, expecting a watered/dumbed down rpg*

*Hardcore rpg gamer fires up Red Dead Redemption 2*

*Hardcore rpg gamer realized RDR2 is more complex and detailed than any hardcore rpg game they've ever played*

*Hardcore rpg gamer realizes that an open world action/adventure game can have more depth and more complex world building than any rpg out there*

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

*Hardcore rpg gamer tries Red Dead Redemption 2, expecting a watered/dumbed down rpg* *Hardcore rpg gamer realized RDR2 is more complex and detailed than any hardcore rpg game they've ever played*

Pretty sure both of these are false. The first egregiously so. Edited by Malcador
  • Like 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Tis true and confirmed here:

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Actually, the Call of Cthulhu game seems to be disappointing. :(

The elder gods must be pretty angry now!

As for RDR2, I bought it for the good story and that is exactly what I got. It does make my Xbone X sound like a jet engine though, no other game does that. :lol:

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

The idea of a hardcore game is weird to me. Unless you are trying to make it as a professional gamer, I don't see why that label would be positive in any way. 

I guess I would be a softcore gamer, since I play most games on easy and don't finish most of them.  :blink:

• Like 2

The idea of a hardcore game is weird to me. Unless you are trying to make it as a professional gamer, I don't see why that label would be positive in any way. 

I guess I would be a softcore gamer, since I play most games on easy and don't finish most of them.  :blink:

Hardcore usually means challanging - eg you sometimes needs to understand mechanics and apply them well.

I for one like 'hardcore' games, otherwise I would rather watch movie than to play game where my decision and skill does not have effect on outcome - eg you can loose. In that case its not much of a game to me

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Never really heard of a game itself being labelled hardcore, players sure.  Usually means that the player is just very dedicated to the game - in that they spend large amounts of time playing but also thinking on the game, for lack of a better term.  So they do stuff like develop builds, analyse gear/skills/maps.   

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I demand a review, Shady. I was close to picking it up in the recent Steam sale. I own 1 and 2.

Problem being that I own them, but have never made the time to play them.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

hardcore is wholly transparent shorthand gamer vernacular.  call a game hardcore is a preemptive defense o' any game which achieves a trifecta o' poor balance, excessive bugs and unintuitive mechanics. any bass ackwards game which embraces the curmudgeonly luddite lunatic fringe by implementing "features" which actual maximize gamer frustration somehow gets the hardcore treatment. 'course only OG gamers is able to appreciate a hardcore games, yes?  is the emperor's new clothes silliness for the digital generation.  

game stands on merits or it does not.  as such, hardcore is, at best, nonsense.  at worst, hardcore label is intentional deflection. pointless in any event.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 4

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Hmmmm....

But I wouldn't ever call games like Baldurs Gate or Dark Souls "hardcore". Hardcore, to me, was always a term which defined a game which had very complex mechanics, one that actually requires players time to learn and even more time to master, separate from the actual game itself. Depth of concept, integrating systems which may require a mature player if the genre to use Google, Wiki or YouTube.

However, regarding the term as for difficulty, I'd say unto thee, using hardecore to describe difficulty usually only refers to a game having poor design in mechanics and balance lol For ex. If a dev chooses to take my character's speed and agility, stripping me of natural movement, that doesn't and shouldn't count as "hardcore", that is just bad design which presents challenge, not a good form of a higher difficulty.

So what is fair to call hardcore?

Well you don't have to take my word, may I suggest searching "hardcore" in Steam store's search engine? They have a casual tab as well. Of course there are hardcore games as well as casual games and ones that mix both elements to achieve a nice moderate balance.

go play Dwarf Fortress and then tell me its not hardcore

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

i was refering more about complexity, but yes, UI is horrible

i was refering more about complexity

Thing is, with decent UI backing it up, Dwarf Fortress would be reasonably approachable. And don't forget that there's a ton of complex games that wouldn't really be considered 'hardcore' in any way.

Edit: Wrong thread.

Edit again: I just bought Dungeons 3. It sounds up my alley and is on sale on GoG.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."