Heya!

I've just finished the game (And explored the vast majority besides the main quest), and I was wondering if I missed any of the grimoires in the game that has any sort of special ability? I only found the Grimoire of Vaporous Wizardry with any special abilities. Did I miss them somewhere else, or is it the only one?

That's the only one I've found that has a special ability on the grimoire itself.  I have found Grimoires with unique spells in them.  Like Ninagauth's Teachings that contains Ninagauth's Shadowflame.  Variant of Fireball:

Keywords:  Frost + Evo

Counters: Fire

Cast: 6

recov: 2

range 10 m

aoe 2.5 M

pen 7

Loud

42-51 cold damage  ACC vs REF

if successful:  Paralyzed for 6 seconds  ACC vs FORT

• Like 1

That's the only one I've found that has a special ability on the grimoire itself.  I have found Grimoires with unique spells in them.  Like Ninagauth's Teachings that contains Ninagauth's Shadowflame.  Variant of Fireball:

Keywords:  Frost + Evo

Counters: Fire

Cast: 6

recov: 2

range 10 m

aoe 2.5 M

pen 7

Loud

42-51 cold damage  ACC vs REF

if successful:  Paralyzed for 6 seconds  ACC vs FORT

Interesting, thank you. I had not noticed they might contain unique spells otherwise not obtainable. That would definitely make the whole grimoire hunt more interesting if that's the case.

Arkemyr's Grimoire is supposed to also include an 8th-level spell called Arkemyr's Mercurial Madness, but I didn't get it in my game (I got the grimoire, but it didn't have that spell.)

It's not a very good spell, so not a big loss, but still...

Ninagauth's Shadowflame remains by far the best unique spell, though Concelhaut's Draining Missiles can be pretty good when Empowered.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Arkemyr's Grimoire is supposed to also include an 8th-level spell called Arkemyr's Mercurial Madness, but I didn't get it in my game (I got the grimoire, but it didn't have that spell.)

It's not a very good spell, so not a big loss, but still...

Ninagauth's Shadowflame remains by far the best unique spell, though Concelhaut's Draining Missiles can be pretty good when Empowered.

Did you kill Arkemyr? Arkemyr’s Discoveries, which is a quest reward, only contains one of his unique spells.

• Like 1

At the guy who sells the maps at queen’s Berth you can buy the snakeskin grimoire if I remember correctly. It has a cool spell where you summon snakes for fist weapons and they are pretty good!

Also at Arkemyr’s shop you can get a grimoire that adds extra casts but damage to the caster is an instant interrupt, haven’t found a good use for it since the interrupt is pretty bad in combat.

Edited by NocturnalTrance

"People fear, not death, but having life taken from them. Many waste the life given to them, occupying themselves with things that do not matter. When the end comes, they say they did not have time enough to spend with loved ones, to fulfill dreams, to go on adventures they only talked about... But why should you fear death if you are happy with the life you have led, if you can look back on everything and say, 'Yes, I am content. It is enough.'" ~Wynne, Dragon age Origins

The problem I have with this is that the Grimoire of Vaporous Wizardry's stat bonuses outweigh any unique spell provided by other grimoires. +1 to all Spell levels is a massive boost and I honestly can't see myself using any other Grimoire unless I have multiple wizards in my party...

The problem I have with this is that the Grimoire of Vaporous Wizardry's stat bonuses outweigh any unique spell provided by other grimoires. +1 to all Spell levels is a massive boost and I honestly can't see myself using any other Grimoire unless I have multiple wizards in my party...

That was my thoughts as well. It's a mystery to me why they'd even make a Grimoire that has these bonuses, if they only wanted to make the one. I didn't even know there were these unique spells in the books, so for me the choice was fairly obvious, even with the instant interrupt. But in my second playthrough I'll definitely try to look for some of the unique spells. I do hope though they'll add something later on, at least some minor bonuses to some of the spellbooks.

Exactly.  It also makes any secondary, non multiclass Wizard feel less useful, unless you have them more of a melee character, or someone you only use to time an alpha strike with at the beginning.

Edited by Sanctuary

I didn’t kill Arkemyr as there was no quest / set piece for it and I didn’t want to just aggro him—it would have felt underwhelming. So I guess that’s how I’ve missed the similarly underwhelming 8th-level spell.

As for grimoires, my favorite remains Ninagauth’s Teachings. I rarely felt the need for the extra cast per level past level 10, and Shadowflame is too good to pass (also looks rad.)

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

The interrupt penalty could be a real issue, depending.

At the guy who sells the maps at queen’s Berth you can buy the snakeskin grimoire if I remember correctly. It has a cool spell where you summon snakes for fist weapons and they are pretty good!

Also at Arkemyr’s shop you can get a grimoire that adds extra casts but damage to the caster is an instant interrupt, haven’t found a good use for it since the interrupt is pretty bad in combat.

There might be a helmet somewhere the prevents interrupts when you are injured... (But I don't recall where.)

So long as you are into a bit of assisted self-mutilation after resting, you should be able to render yourself permanently immune to interruption during combat due to always sporting one injury.  Which is such a cheap way to get around the one drawback to the Vaporous Wizardry Grimoire that only a real munchkin would use it. :biggrin:

• Like 1

When I said death before dishonour, I meant it alphabetically.

Book of Storms doesn't have anything unique about it tho I think? Its found on island south with Amira ruins or sth like that. There is a mage there with skeletons and demiliches.

Edited by Phyriel

• 4 weeks later...