Eder thinks orlans are animals.

Does that mean Eder gives her skritches and tries to make Vela fetch?

To be fair, if Hiravias is his primary example of Orlans, then he was closer to an animal than most. And he may or may not have spent a lot of time actually being an animal around Eder. Obviously that's not the case if the Watcher is an Orlan, and Eder is kind of a racist asshat either way. People don't even have to have fur, and racists equate them with animals, because dehumanizing (dekithizing?) crap is par for that particular course...

Still, Hiravias was an animal, and frankly depending on how your Serafen was spec'd a Barbarian/Pirate isn't going to necessarily be enough to change Eder's mind by himself. I'd expect that Eder and Mirke would have gotten along [had they been real people or Mirke gotten the full companion treatment]. Certainly I always thought of Eder himself as a druggie, at the very least I have given him the necklace that makes you wake up with Whiteleaf symptoms in every playthrough (not to wear, just to hold onto because I know he loves him some whiteleaf).

Personally I like that the companions in Pillars of Eternity all have flawed personalities, and Deadfire is the same way (and accentuates old companions flaws in a new light.) Xoti is an inexperienced one might say naive and extremely impressionable young woman. Eder is arguably kind of simple, (possibly because he's such) a "fan" of Whiteleaf and a racist (although not a ... hylbyly?) yokel. Serafen and Mirke are pirates. Maya is ... willing to follow orders for a government whose actions are questionable. Pallegina is kind of a bitch to people who don't think the gods are ****, and she's far too willing to carry out orders on behalf of people who may have wronged her and have questionable motives. Tenahu is obviously egocentric and a hedonist, unsure of how he wants to use his power (full of himself, but oddly reticent to live up to his potential on his own.) Aloth is not good at being self-motivating, but he took a job that required more than he could give it on his own, and he was kind of a shady character in the first game. Even the sidekicks are kind of a bunch of misfits, found in the ocean, a soulless weirdo, (a pirate, I mentionedalready/only in DLC) and a... massage parlor employee? I never really got Konstanten because I never really kept him in my party to hear/see his barks and responses to things.

Personally if I was the Watcher on the one character I kept her in (which I started and finished post-release of PoE2) I'd have treated Vela like a surrogate daughter or at least a much younger sibling. Honestly it never even occurred to me that I could have kept her, and I saw pre-release that it was an option but my characters all kind of had personalities from PoE1 so I didn't want to just go back and keep her even if such a thing could have been done easily in another save... My point is, my only Watcher who has her to notice anything about her is a kind of odd character.

I wish Vela could have gotten (or even, would get eventually) some serious reactivity based on your actions in Pillars of Eternity. FFS, I'd have been -super- happy if Berath asked people who kept Vela "Do you remember the child you adopted?" and let me say "Her? I pawned her for armor polish money, I always need more armor polish!" Or, of course, sane things a sane person might have said about a child they kept. Or things a slaver-type might have said about their property I guess? They had such a nice bit of immediate backstory-filling in Pillars of Eternity with Calisca that seeing something like that would have been cool for PoE2's PoE1 reactivity IMO. It would be like several different sets of lines for the VA and writer of Vela, but I'd have loved to see that.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to go pickpocket a child and replace her ripplesponge with some kind of vegetable. I've also got an old man to fire... out of a cannon.

• Like 1

Eder thinks orlans are animals.

Does that mean Eder gives her skritches and tries to make Vela fetch?

To be fair, if Hiravias is his primary example of Orlans, then he was closer to an animal than most. And he may or may not have spent a lot of time actually being an animal around Eder. Obviously that's not the case if the Watcher is an Orlan, and Eder is kind of a racist asshat either way. People don't even have to have fur, and racists equate them with animals, because dehumanizing (dekithizing?) crap is par for that particular course...

Still, Hiravias was an animal, and frankly depending on how your Serafen was spec'd a Barbarian/Pirate isn't going to necessarily be enough to change Eder's mind by himself. I'd expect that Eder and Mirke would have gotten along [had they been real people or Mirke gotten the full companion treatment]. Certainly I always thought of Eder himself as a druggie, at the very least I have given him the necklace that makes you wake up with Whiteleaf symptoms in every playthrough (not to wear, just to hold onto because I know he loves him some whiteleaf).

Personally I like that the companions in Pillars of Eternity all have flawed personalities, and Deadfire is the same way (and accentuates old companions flaws in a new light.) Xoti is an inexperienced one might say naive and extremely impressionable young woman. Eder is arguably kind of simple, (possibly because he's such) a "fan" of Whiteleaf and a racist (although not a ... hylbyly?) yokel. Serafen and Mirke are pirates. Maya is ... willing to follow orders for a government whose actions are questionable. Pallegina is kind of a bitch to people who don't think the gods are ****, and she's far too willing to carry out orders on behalf of people who may have wronged her and have questionable motives. Tenahu is obviously egocentric and a hedonist, unsure of how he wants to use his power (full of himself, but oddly reticent to live up to his potential on his own.) Aloth is not good at being self-motivating, but he took a job that required more than he could give it on his own, and he was kind of a shady character in the first game. Even the sidekicks are kind of a bunch of misfits, found in the ocean, a soulless weirdo, (a pirate, I mentionedalready/only in DLC) and a... massage parlor employee? I never really got Konstanten because I never really kept him in my party to hear/see his barks and responses to things.

Personally if I was the Watcher on the one character I kept her in (which I started and finished post-release of PoE2) I'd have treated Vela like a surrogate daughter or at least a much younger sibling. Honestly it never even occurred to me that I could have kept her, and I saw pre-release that it was an option but my characters all kind of had personalities from PoE1 so I didn't want to just go back and keep her even if such a thing could have been done easily in another save... My point is, my only Watcher who has her to notice anything about her is a kind of odd character.

I wish Vela could have gotten (or even, would get eventually) some serious reactivity based on your actions in Pillars of Eternity. FFS, I'd have been -super- happy if Berath asked people who kept Vela "Do you remember the child you adopted?" and let me say "Her? I pawned her for armor polish money, I always need more armor polish!" Or, of course, sane things a sane person might have said about a child they kept. Or things a slaver-type might have said about their property I guess? They had such a nice bit of immediate backstory-filling in Pillars of Eternity with Calisca that seeing something like that would have been cool for PoE2's PoE1 reactivity IMO. It would be like several different sets of lines for the VA and writer of Vela, but I'd have loved to see that.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to go pickpocket a child and replace her ripplesponge with some kind of vegetable. I've also got an old man to fire... out of a cannon.

But doesn’t Eder love animals more than most people (Even when they’re trying to kill him). If anything, him thinking you’re an animal is a compliment in a way.

But doesn’t Eder love animals more than most people (Even when they’re trying to kill him). If anything, him thinking you’re an animal is a compliment in a way.

No, it does not. Even if it is meant as a compliment it is still inherently belittling and dehumanizing (or, in the case of Eora, I guess dekithizing).

• Like 1

No, it does not. Even if it is meant as a compliment it is still inherently belittling and dehumanizing (or, in the case of Eora, I guess dekithizing).

Oh well, I still wouldn’t go so far as to call him a racist though. He’s never shown that he believes he’s superior to any of the other kith or discriminated anybody in my playthrough.

It’s debatable whether saying orlans are animals is a racist statement, but I think it’s comparable to me using the n-word as a term of endearment with my family and friends because I’m black, so I don’t mind him.

Huh. I never even knew you could keep the baby. I might do that on my current character. He's sortof a gruff dwarven cowboy-esk character. 

My orlan's gonna be evil and probably kill her, ironically. Probably going to be a cypher/chanter spear-weilding orlan who is going to be cruel. So cruel he's probably going to sacrifice a character. I'm thinking Sagani. She has a family who will miss her. Probably right after I try and get her to abandon her quest too. So that everything's for nothing.

Huh. I never even knew you could keep the baby. I might do that on my current character. He's sortof a gruff dwarven cowboy-esk character. 

My orlan's gonna be evil and probably kill her, ironically. Probably going to be a cypher/chanter spear-weilding orlan who is going to be cruel. So cruel he's probably going to sacrifice a character. I'm thinking Sagani. She has a family who will miss her. Probably right after I try and get her to abandon her quest too. So that everything's for nothing.

I just did something cruel in my Deadfire pt, but my character was not really being cruel, she was simply having fun. :p

pushing Xoti to the dark

• Like 1

sign.jpg

I just did something cruel in my Deadfire pt, but my character was not really being cruel, she was simply having fun. :p

pushing Xoti to the dark

I mean, that's not really evil so much as completely unchallenging. Kindof coo-coo for coco puffs as is.

I mean, that's not really evil so much as completely unchallenging. Kindof coo-coo for coco puffs as is.

It's worse than it looks like since

her dialogue is messed up so it looks like she ended up with multiple personalities.

Even without it her fangirling over Eothas is enough. I *hated* that guy by the end. My character just disagreed, but I HATED him. I look forward to telling her off on a later character. I might even just hire a self-made adventurer or something instead. I did actually like Xoti on a conceptual level, but my hate for Eothas has just started sortof spilling over slowly

Edited by Rheios
  • Like 1

her dialogue is messed up so it looks like she ended up with multiple personalities.

Even without it her fangirling over Eothas is enough. I *hated* that guy by the end. My character just disagreed, but I HATED him. I look forward to telling her off on a later character. I might even just hire a self-made adventurer or something instead. I did actually like Xoti on a conceptual level, but my hate for Eothas has just started sortof spilling over slowly

Perfectly understandable.

sign.jpg

Is okey, you are helping her since

with all the souls she absorbed, she is slowly mantling the aspect of Gaun