Xoti I really liked. Her relationship could be tweaked and improved; it feels stilted in a few parts and disconnected at a few points, but overall I think the story arc is really well done, reflects her character and her relationship with the greater setting and ongoing events with depth and detail, and really gives me insight into what's going on with her.

A very nuanced and well articulated write-up! I hope Obsidian recognizes balanced comments like this and disregards other comments of a certain, let's say: "questionable", quality...

Edited by frogmoth
  • Like 2

Xoti I really liked. Her relationship could be tweaked and improved; it feels stilted in a few parts and disconnected at a few points, but overall I think the story arc is really well done, reflects her character and her relationship with the greater setting and ongoing events with depth and detail, and really gives me insight into what's going on with her.

I agree, though due to how easy it was to inflate reputation with character prior to 1.2 Xoti made a very very bad 1st impression. I did like were she ended up with. Issues with the rep system seemed to have wrecked the pacing. Some tweaking might make it work - not allowing romance banter to start immediately after you turned someone down for example. Gears behind this system tend to move really rapidly and it breaks the spell - done couple things Xoti liked, bam! Romance conversation. Turned her down bam! Romance banter with Eder. Coupe hard coded limitation (wait x amount of days before initiating conversation) might move it a long way.

Open-world/Ship combat

I feel those were – sufficient. I don’t think that that those systems are enjoyable by themselves, but I they did a great job in reinforcing the theme of the game. Most ship-to-ship combat revolved around constantly moving for evasion and shooting when ready. I tried to experiment with various cannons on different sides of my ship, but it just wasn’t worth it. As soon as things get damaged, AI seems to panic, and get “stunlocked” by moving crew around, bracing for impact and, overall, doing nothing of importance.

World map lost its appeal quite quickly, with its static ship movement, lack of ambushes and plentiful supplies. I really wish that the world map would be more systemic – with faction ships recognizing your allegiance, and chances to get ambushed. In the end it’s more of a menu, rather than a board of a game. Still, nicely enhances the theme.

So I'm still playing through the game myself, so I'll refrain from answering some of the other points brought up for now. Generally I agree with your overview so far and with some of the points brought up regarding the narrative and companion sections. With regards to the open-world exploration and so on, however, I will say that whilst I'm really enjoying it, I also feel there's a problem when the above is used as an effective replacement for expansive wilderness areas and the more traditional - and detailed - isometric RPG exploration. One of the most disappointing shifts for Deadfire with regards to the first game for me has been the change from beefier, highly detailed and unique locations to more bite-sized, often repetitive or generic zones: I don't think that either the scripted interactions of the map icons really do justice to any dungeon or ruin's exterior the way an actual area map dedicated to it does, and I would have liked to see many more Poko Koharas and less Ruins of Amira's Roost or something such. In and of itself the open-world seafaring has been enjoyable, but I can't shake off the feeling that it's eaten into an aspect that I feel is essential to the overall feeling, identity and success of the Pillars saga as well.

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Bringing the discussion back to the music, one thing I REALLY enjoyed was how cleverly the team adapted real life historical shanties to the PoE world.

I loved the sea shanties, and the music in general. I barely noticed the music in the first game - I don't remember a single bit of it now - but I find myself humming bits of this soundtrack at work. Great job.

Why was the title changed? O.o Weird....

I think a merger has been going on...

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Obsidian isn't very good at handling criticism, as evidenced by all the threads that criticized the game being deleted on these forums.

We've merged a number of threads that were roughly the same topic and deleted threads that were the same topic from the same user in an effort to keep the front page from being 12 threads on the same topic pushing out any other discussion.  There really is no reason this forum needed 20-25 threads on POTD difficulty level, for example.  We have also deleted posts that have used derogatory or incendiary language when there was no way to salvage the post as discrimination, harassment, abusive, vulgar or profane language are all against the forum rules.  This includes posts in this thread.

We have not deleted any thread for the sole reason that it criticized Pillars of Eternity II, Obsidian as company, or any of the individuals who make up the company - current or former.  

Why was the title changed? O.o Weird....

They merged my thread with yours and they used my title.

Actually it was more than your threads, I believe I merged 4 different threads into this one last night that were all essentially "finished deadfire, here's my thoughts on the game as a whole" threads.  I kept the title of Womerine's thread rather than change the title because it seemed to work as a good consolidated thread name.

• Like 5

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man