Pros: 

- Writing. (Includes: Companion writing, stories, NPC's etc.) 

Some people call the writing 'vague' and 'too much', but it's actually EXACTLY what I love. Very creative, immersive with a pinch of mystery to it. Anyone else who says it's written like a fanfiction (steam review), should seriously read some actual fanfiction. Because let's be honest, it's nothing like Obsidian's writing ; - way far from it. 

It's cringy to be sure (usually), but not because of it's mass use of creativity (something some disliked with deadfire), but because it's honestly badly written. Fanfictions, I mean. And well...usually....I should know. I read, and even wrote my share of them as a teenager. *pukes* 

- Graphics 

Think we can all agree on this??:D 

- Not bugged too much

I only found 2 really kinda minor, far from game breaking bugs in my whole playthrough. 

- Music 

Amazing, as always! Though, I did notice some of it was from the previous game? Not that I actually mind this lol. 

- Gameplay 

A mass improvement over the first game! Though - easier. Something that can be fixed with turning on the difficulty! Twas' a great idea though, not everyone is kin on combat. Some really are just there for the story. :)

- Advanced Player Setup 

And I really loved the abilities such as intimidate, arcane, survival etc....it really added flavour to my own character, as well as the companions! I made sure everything fitted them nicely. ^^ 

(May have forgot something....?)

- Freedom 

Of exploration and of character setup as mentioned above! There's tons of that and I LOVE IT! 

- Non-cringy Romance

Loved the feature, and even though my first one didn't go too well; I'll see how the one with Maia is on my next playthrough! (XDDD don't judge!) 

Honestly though, really glad this made it in! And super glad you added gay romance in! :D As a ....bisexual who prefers the company of other women, I appreciate it! (XDD) 

Nitpickings: 

- Ending (Not sliders)

It wasn't a bad ending, but ...I didn't feel like I could do much to alter it? Not being able to fight *spoiler avoider* was a disappointment also....though, I can see why it is the way it is. If i'm 100% honest though? While Deadfire did almost everything better then in the first game...I prefer the first game's endings. 

- Ending (Sliders) 

I didn't like Xoti's romance ending too much..... :/ I don't think it's the fact that her and my character didn't stay together, it's just....not sure. Something was missing? 

- Ship combat 

Not my piece of cake. Did not enjoy and wished I could avoid it. :/ 

- Vela not interactive with player character

Or so I've heard (one of the bugs I mentioned was that I did not get Vela at all, but people told me she only chats with companions so...). 

I've been really looking forward to interacting with my ..kinda child? But couldn't so....sad, I guess? :// 

- More 'evil' (cruel, aggressive) character would be great

It's too light, and everyone's so nice I can't even dare to be myself! (XDDD)

OVERALL: 

Now that I've thought about all of it, i'd give it 9.5. It made it into my top 10 video games list, perhaps even top 5 (or almost?), but it wasn't 100% what I was hyped about; - which is natural. :) 

TBH though, out of all the things I've been SUPER hyped up about 'recently' from biowere and from bethesda was an utter disappointment. Obsidian did not really dissapoint. It gives me hope for future RPGs. 

That's all. :)

Edited by Tanjaxxx
  • Like 14

I only have 3 nit pick issue with the game personally . 

1- the copy paste music . Boo! The bath-house for exemple is what you would call a SPA (well they aren't , but close enough) , and I have a Tavern music there ? it's a shame cose the place is gorgeous ! why not put something relaxing there ? 

2- This: https://wiki.fireundubh.com/deadfire/dialogue-options

I was hoping for the 2nd game , they make everything a bit even..not..this big gap of difference making some stuff pretty pointless to pick . 

3- Godlike . I love Godlike . while some peoples complained about the portraits , I'm kinda fine with them . But...the head choice is so limited . I mean , clearly you upgraded the engine and elf for exemple look gorgeous ! So why not more choices . Cose choices are always fun to have . 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

Loved the feature, and even though my first one didn't go too well; I'll see how the one with Maia is on my next playthrough! (XDDD don't judge!) 

Why would anyone judge?

Maia's the best of the lot in Deadfire (Grieving Mother is still better darn it!)

Honestly, for me, one of the biggest nitpicks i had that i was sometimes railroaded into specific dispositions by simply not having neutral options, i was playing this "benevolent ****" archetype by being a pretty decent guy, but shady as hell, however i ended up maxing out pretty much every disposition except for cruel.

Like, if i'm playing a pathologically lying pacifist, what am i supposed to pick when the only options are "honest" or "aggressive"?  :w00t:

Also, wish there was more interaction with Vella apart from that single dialogue option at the very start of the bloody game.

Edited by Juodas Varnas
  • Like 3

1- the copy paste music . Boo! The bath-house for exemple is what you would call a SPA (well they aren't , but close enough) , and I have a Tavern music there ? it's a shame cose the place is gorgeous ! why not put something relaxing there ? 

The music is a bit of a mixed bag in general. While most of the ambient tracks are decent (other than the ones copy-pasted from PoE1), the combat music is pretty underwhelming, like this one here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EHwOgHlub4 

It's pretty dull, repetitive, and lacking energy. 0:59 is just funny; it stays on that chord forever. All of the combat tracks are pretty meh to be honest. 

Edited by Multihog

The music is a bit of a mixed bag in general. While most of the ambient tracks are decent (other than the ones copy-pasted from PoE1), the combat music is pretty underwhelming, like this one here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EHwOgHlub4 

It's pretty dull, repetitive, and lacking energy. 0:59 is just funny; it stays on that chord forever. All of the combat tracks are pretty meh to be honest. 

Come to think of it, I didn't enjoy the combat music either. Though, I didn't like the one in the first game either. Combat music, I mean. :) It wasn't really *bad*, just not up to standers. 

Aye, the music felt a tad generic for my tastes.

I honestly, must preferred the music in the recently released Battletech game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-4svr0-kUc

Some of my own favourite music comes from Arcanum;

It's all pretty heavy on the violin, and is somewhat depressing, though hopeful. Just like the game itself. It's dark, sexist, racist and you start of as a nobody. Damn....I really do love that game. Ain't no other taking up the Num 1. spot any time soon! 

• Like 1

It's all pretty heavy on the violin, and is somewhat depressing, though hopeful. Just like the game itself. It's dark, sexist, racist and you start of as a nobody. Damn....I really do love that game. Ain't no other taking up the Num 1. spot any time soon! 

I love sad violins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdofmoYcJNE

Music up to now is just passable. I don't like combat music much either. Pillars 1 had great music moments imo.

I love sad violins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdofmoYcJNE

Did you finish a 'judge' school in the last 5 minutes? Cuz'....uhh......you be...judging? And...stuff.....*sighs and crossed out another failed comeback joke*

• Like 2

Music up to now is just passable. I don't like combat music much either. Pillars 1 had great music moments imo.

I love sad violins

Did you finish a 'judge' school in the last 5 minutes? Cuz'....uhh......you be...judging? And...stuff.....*sighs and crossed out another failed comeback joke*

No, i mean, i genuinely like sad violins.  :w00t:

• Like 1

I love sad violins

No, i mean, i genuinely like sad violins.  :w00t:

Ah, okay. ^^ In that case; Me too ! :D 

• Like 1

Come to think of it, I didn't enjoy the combat music either. Though, I didn't like the one in the first game either. Combat music, I mean. :) It wasn't really *bad*, just not up to standers. 

Yeah, it wasn't something that made my ears bleed, but it didn't really add anything positive either. The ambient tracks are great for the most part, though! 

Need to mod this bad boy in: 

Regarding the Arcanum OST, it was a bold choice to compose the entire soundtrack for a string quartet. It's original but also kind of limiting because you can only do so much with a string quartet. How well that worked for the game I don't know, but it surely is an interesting approach. 

Edited by Multihog

I think the music in Queen's Berth is pretty awesome.

I like the singing whilst on the boat.

I am sick of hearing the level up music. There shouldn't be a piece of music for levelling up, just keep the same music what was already playing going.

• Like 1

nowt

I never said I didn't like the music  :no: I said 'I noticed some of them are played in many places' . 

The music isn't earth shattering mindblowing awesome like some I've heard in others games . But it's not goddamn awful either . I do like some soundtrack , but yeah..it just that . Good enough to fill the atmosphere and not bad enough to make you turn it off . 

• Like 1
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

I am sick of hearing the level up music. There shouldn't be a piece of music for levelling up, just keep the same music what was already playing going.

Yeah, not a fan of the new level up music. The old level up/character creation music is the one track I wish they would've brought back from PoE 1 :p

This track was great. Subtle yet powerful.

Edited by Multihog
  • Like 1

Yeah, it wasn't something that made my ears bleed, but it didn't really add anything positive either. The ambient tracks are great for the most part, though! 

Regarding the Arcanum OST, it was a bold choice to compose the entire soundtrack for a string quartet. It's original but also kind of limiting because you can only do so much with a string quartet. How well that worked for the game I don't know, but it surely is an interesting approach. 

I BG (Or rather - BG2), I love Shadow of Amm main theme best! 

• Like 1

Yeah, not a fan of the new level up music. The old level up/character creation music is the one track I wish they would've brought back from PoE 1 :p

This track was great. Subtle yet powerful.

Yeah. I loved this soundtrack too! :D 

• Like 1

well inon zur is a freaking genius.... :wub:  the soundtrack of BG2 stay with you foreveh!

• Like 1

Elderly Hive Dweller

Yeah, especially the second, calm part with the harp arpeggios and the horn melody, the part that also plays during character creation in BG2, is awesome. 

@E.RedMark: Michael Hoenig. Inon Zur only composed Throne of Bhaal ;)

Edited by Multihog
  • Like 1

ohhh here is a nit pick! Let me zoom in more during in general but especially during battle . I have a hard time to see where is everyone  :geek:

Elderly Hive Dweller

First: Well done. I got what I hoped for. On the companions: Good, but too early to say: SO MANY choices, can't tell how often I reloaded to see what other dialogue options would bring, yet only scratched the surface. But I do get the impression that some things were left unfinished. I hope the expansions will take care of that.

Only barely starting, myself (just finished the first island, I think), but a few thoughts.

As usual, more negative to comment on than positive - not because I don't like it or anything (QUITE the opposite), but the proud nails and niggles show up sharper in contrast to everything else.

UI and presentation generally: massive, massive improvement and it t'weren't bad before.

Edér had me laughing almost immediately.

Don't like not being able to scroll up (or have the conversation log) during conversations, you can miss stuff. (Now, granted, that's not a thing in say, Witcher 3 (which I finished a couple of weeks ago),b ut I'm so used it in IE games, I feel the lack. (Also feel this has come up before in one of the more recent IE decedants too.) Minor niggle.

Feeling the pinch on skill points. Doesn't feel like I have much in the way of options - I can either max out one skill per category per character and hope that party assist will cover all evntualities... So no splashing around Stealth among the party (because PoE was the first and only time I EVER have made more than occasional use,w hich shows how good the system was, and the new one is even better. Or a bit of Athletics (to try and avoid those tedious scripted injuries without having to find the boosting scrolls all the time).

And, to a lesser extent, talents and abilities - though that might be the former informing the latter in combination with spells - but for on priests, especially. While with mages - who also, I found, get grimoires, which pretty much obviate the issue - I can live with it, I'm used to in PoE 1 Durance having a load of buff-spells on hand to use if the situation needed it (and sometime, dangit, those situation priest spells via-a-vis fightin' vampires. The number of spells per level per encounter seems a little harsh, as well; but again, casters are my jam, and I very much like the sort of flexibility of pseudo-vancian. (I have to ask, at this point, why not just make spells a resource pool as well...?) I Actually preferred PoE 1 when you had lower-level spells as at-wills (despite meaning that meant I just held my higher level ones for a rainy day,..)

New hit point system is perfectly fine, though I really liked the old one. (Here, I have not felt the need to rest, like at all; conversely, I've not touched, really, anyone of my per rest abilities.) That said, in tabletop (as a DM), I am generally a preponent of the so-called 15-minute adventuring day. (Largely because it makes for a stronger-paced, more interesting set of combats, in my personal opinion.) But that, of course, may change. Especially since I turned level scaling (up only) on (and I'm playing on classic - not actually sure why the game defaulted to... the one between classic and story). And I am emphatically NOT interested in high difficulties - easy to normal is where I live on the majority of games.

On the music issue... I have - thus far - found PoE2's music as unremarkable as... More or less every other RPG's. I say that the sign of a great soundtrack is that the music jams in your head outside of the game. RPGs, in my experience, have always been very not-that, in my opinion (especially with my noted preference for combat music). Aside from Final Fantasy (to X-2), Pokémon (yes, it counts) Disgaea I and isolated tracks from PST, BG2 (and not the combat music), a few tracks from Mass Effect trilogy; and then it's stuff from C&C or Star Craft and TIE Fighter and X-Com 2. Beyond that, I can play a game for over a hundred hours, and not be able to recall the music. (Little more memorable with Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis IV, but only through hundreds of hours of repatition.) DK1 is one of my top three games of all time (PST and TIE Fighter being the others) but the music is very much a nothing, really.

So, what I'm saying is, for me to classify a game as having good music (and pay attention to the music specifically), it has to be very VERY good music. Otherwise, being largely unnoticable background means it IS sort of doing the job it's supposed to, especially for combat music. Notable only by its absense.

(Note: a BAD soundtrack would be very noticably disruptive.)

Don't like not being able to scroll up (or have the conversation log) during conversations, you can miss stuff. (Now, granted, that's not a thing in say, Witcher 3 (which I finished a couple of weeks ago),b ut I'm so used it in IE games, I feel the lack. (Also feel this has come up before in one of the more recent IE decedants too.) Minor niggle.

You can: click on the small diamond-ish shaped button at the top of the conversation window. The button is a bit unreliable and seems to be misaligned, so you'll have to click on the top part of it. 

• Like 2