Any way to make companion idle poses available for player character?

I would like Aloths idle pose on my main watcher character, but have not been able to find anything related to these poses in the gamedatabundle files. Any ideas?

EDIT: literally 10 seconds after posting this, I found it in characters.gamedatabundle. For people who want to replicate this, search for "Companion_Aloth_Personality" and set "AvailableInCharacterCreation" to true.

Edited by crispy
  • Like 5

Yeah, but did you find a way for the watcher to pull out the grimoire rather than empty handed during that animation?

In "characters.gamedatabundle", under "Player_New_Game", changing PropsIDs to "PropsIDs": ["6aecd067-2767-46e4-9c2f-f78692f84fb8"] seems to make it work for new characters.

I dont know how to make it work for existing characters though.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I found it and replaced Rekke's default personality with it, but when I load an older save his idle has not changed.

I have a new save and I'm going to recruit him ASAP to see if this edit is just not retroactive.

Aloth massages his temples, shaking his head.

How do I open characters.gamedatabundle? I don't seem to have the right program.

You can open it with Notepad. It might not give you the "open with" option right away and you'll have to choose Notepad from a list of programs.

Aloth massages his temples, shaking his head.

Oh okay. I wasn't sure notepad was the right one since it opens as a jumble not in lines like stringstables.

Atsura, the intelligent Psychopath of my dreams.  I like my elves grumpy and my godlike fishy!

And my Rekke romancable!

• 3 months later...

Referring to the previous posts on making Aloth's idle available to the player. What are the PropsIDs values needed to make Maia and Tekehu's idles appear correctly?

In more detail - I know how to make them available in character creation but as with the invisible Aloth grimoire, Maia's dust sprinkle animation and Tekehu's fish don't appear correctly without these IDs.

Is there somewhere we can look this information up?

Thanks very much :)

In characters.gamedatebundle look for companion_[insert name here], propid should be at the bottom of their entry.

Looks like for Maia: "PropsIDs": ["7c11791e-6670-4cc5-9b44-fb6ddb347d6c"]

And Tekehu: "PropsIDs": ["db089155-a085-4597-ac9b-680cf68ef03b"]

Thanks so much for the help :) Really appreciate this.

Do you have any insight as to why this only seems to work in character creation? You can't get these idles working correctly mid-game (or seemingly also for hired adventurers created in the tavern - maybe for the same reasons).

Thanks so much for the help :) Really appreciate this.

Do you have any insight as to why this only seems to work in character creation? You can't get these idles working correctly mid-game (or seemingly also for hired adventurers created in the tavern - maybe for the same reasons).

Think of the characters.gamedatebundle as a raw blueprint for a npc/pc. After a npc/pc is generated in game, many of the character variables are stored in the save file and recalled from there. Changing the blueprint won't change, what is already created. You would need a save editor like eternity keeper, but for poe2, to change those.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I'm still trying to figure out how to do this with Eder's pipe smoking. It doesn't appear to be strictly the pose itself, I've tried enabling that, and while my character does the same hand-on-the-hip pose, I never saw him actually start to smoke a pipe even after 20+ minutes. 

I'm thinking maybe it's tied to the PersonalityID and the AnimationAudioEventListID? I've tried copying those over to Player_New_Game (of course, along with the PropsID to actually get the pipe in the there, like OP suggested with Aloth's grimoire), but I'm still not seeing the character animation after sitting around for another 20+ minutes with Eder on the beach. Haven't tried both of those in combination with the pose though, that's gonna be my next shot, but I'm not exactly hopeful. 

I know this is a thread about Aloth's poses, but has anyone been able to get Eder's pipe smoking successfully mapped to the player character?

**edit**

Despite my negative attitude when I wrote this earlier, it looks like Eder's pipe smoking idle animation is indeed a combination of those 4 different parts:

AvailableInCharacterCreation

PersonalityID

AnimationAudioEventListID

PropsID

You have to set the first one from 'false' to 'true' just like the original post suggests, but that alone won't proc the smoking animation. Copying over the other three from Eder's line into the Player_New_Game line, and starting a new game got me the pipe animation though! Very excite. For convenience, if anyone in a similar boat as me stumbles upon this post, here's the exact values I used:

<on the Companion_Eder_Personality line>

"AvailableInCharacterCreation":"true"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<on the Player_New_Game line>

"PersonalityID":"414cb4f8-afb6-44da-9976-b6934922e00e"

"AnimationAudioEventListID":"5030c1d9-d4a6-4dd2-973e-f5b41ec9a183"

"PropsIDs":["edbf0224-832f-419f-901a-81e20814f66d"]}]}

Enjoy having your character puff along with Eder, and toke on everyone!

Edited by wheelotime42
  • Like 2

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/18/2019 at 9:01 PM, Lucidbro said:

Can someone explain to me in a bit more detail how to change the pose of companions? I've tried replacing the "PersonalityID" numbers in characters.gamedatabundle with the ones I want, but that alone doesn't seem to work.

Would be much appreciated.

If you haven't recruited them yet:

Spoiler

1. As with any mods, start by creating a new text file, name it something like CompanionPoseSwap.gamedatabundle. The name of the file doesn't matter just so long as it has the .gamedatabundle extension (no ".txt" at the end) open it with notepad (or your preferred choice of code editor) and paste the following:

{
    "GameDataObjects":[
        (PASTE OBJECT HERE)
    ]
}

2. Search characters.gamedatabundle for the block of code relating to the companion whose pose you want to change, this will be the first entry for "Companion_Name" or "Sidekick_Name" (e.g. "Companion_Eder" or "Sidekick_Fessina").

Spoiler

Looks like this:

VS_Companion_code_ex.thumb.png.501b66196aa28e94c990656028453883.png

3. Copy all the code that relates to the companion and paste it over (PASTE OBJECT HERE) in your mod file.

4. Look for the pose you want to use, these are named like "Word_Personality" (e.g. "Stoic_Personality", "Hunched_Personality"). Copy the GUID (numbers) on the "ID": line and paste it over the GUID on the "PersonalityID": line. Save the changes to your mod file, put it in a new folder and then place that in the "override" folder located in PillarsOfEternityII_Data.

If it is the first time you have met the companion they will have the pose your mod has assigned them. However if you have already recruited them, as @Fhav6X explained above, the companion's data is now stored on the save file. So making changes to the "PersonalityID": in the characters.gamedatabundle, won't affect them. You will instead have to use the method described below.

If you have already recruited them:

Spoiler

1. Start by creating a new text file, name it something like CompanionPoseSwap.gamedatabundle. The name of the file doesn't matter just so long as it has the .gamedatabundle extension (no ".txt" at the end) open it with notepad (or your preferred choice of code editor) and paste the following:

{
    "GameDataObjects":[
        (PASTE OBJECT HERE)
    ]
}

2. Search characters.gamedatabundle for the personality of the companion you want to change, it'll have a name something like "Companion_Name_Personality" (e.g. "Companion_Eder_Personality" or "Sidekick_Fessina_Personality").

Spoiler

Looks like this:

Companion_Eder_Personality

3. Copy & paste it over (PASTE OBJECT HERE) in the text file you created file. 

4. Search for the personality you'd like to use to replace it, if it is player specific one the name will be something like "Word_Personality" (e.g. "Stoic_Personality").

5. Copy just the number on the "Value":  line and paste it over the one in your text file.

6. Now save your modded file, put it in a new folder and then place it in the "override" folder located in PillarsOfEternityII_Data.

When you open the game the companion should now be using the pose that you've assigned them in your mod.

Konstanten (Energetic), Ydwin (Erudite), and Rekke (Average) are all a little fiddly to change if they are already in your party. By default they use player personalities instead of personalities dedicated to them. Currently trying to figure out a workaround that keeps the personalities intact for the player character to use.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

Edited by Kvellen
Forgot to attach example picture.

Right using these should allow for simple changing of the poses of Rekke, Ydwin and Konstanten. This avoids the issue of removing pose options from the player, simply by creating an extra copy that the player character and adventurers use. Though if the player character or adventurer is currently using the Average (The Default Pose), Energetic, or Erudite poses you'll have to reselect it though the ingame customisation menu for the correct idle animation to play.

Rekke's has a lot more code as there are several characters who use the Average pose. All I've done is change the "PersonalityID" of these characters, which should work since none of them are (from what I can tell) stored on the savefile.

Edited by Kvellen