Ship combat enemy crew still alive

Ravenfeeder

Question

I'm sure this must have been reported but I couldn't find it.

I used chainshot and then grapeshot on an enemy vessel and got it down to 0 sails and 1 crew. It still managed to manouvre enough to board me and had a full complement of soldiers ready to board.

• Like 1

4 answers to this question

Thankfully they are aware of the problem. For some reason when boarding happens, both injured and healthy versions of the enemy crew spawns. That's why you see some dead/injured people laying about, but still face a full crew. Would think this bug is pretty far up on their to-do list.

• Like 2

Sadly, many aspects of naval combat are still a big buggy. Well, some far more than "a bit" on the buggy side. Thankfully, it seems the devs are aware of this and have stated that they'e doing what they can to resolve the issue(s).

I have many of them listed in my thread, but here's a few more examples (all of which the devs are aware of);

Crew cannot advance beyond a total of four "stars" between all of there known skills (except Emeine who starts with a total of 5 "stars", but cannot go any higher in any of them - mine's got over 250 sailor experience, but is still only a rank three cannoner, for example).

Choosing to charge the enemy and skip the naval combat minigame results in huge amounts of damage to hull, sails and crew. Far more than simply spamming "Full speed ahead" and ramming them.

Choosing to charge and skip the naval combat minigame results in far less naval experience for your crew than doing the minigame, even if you just spammed "Full speed ahead" until you ram them.

If you damage an enemy ship in the naval combat minigame and they (or you) flee, the enemy ship will get a full heal and restock, and will be placed very close to your ship so they can just attack you again and again until you get out of the ships patrol area.

And, you don't get any ship supplies (repair supplies, cannonballs or medicine) for boarding an enemy ship, despite stripping everything else off the ship including enemy clothes and an occasional cannon (lol).

Aloth: "Vela, that's not a very nice word... Where did you learn that?"

Vela: "Uncle Serafen."

Aloth: "I see.. We'll just have to have a little chat then, wont we?"

I would argue that current boarding numbers aren't necessarily a bad thing. When you board, your recruited allies and sidekicks join the fight with full health even if your crew is injured - because they're passengers, not part of the crew. I just assume the same for the enemies: even if you decimated their *crew,* that doesn't mean that there aren't still other people on the ship to resist you.

There's still all kinds of problems with lack of interaction between boarding and ship combat and they should probably add a merit/malus system that reflects the latter (injured fighters, damage/fire hazards, etc), but I don't think the game should tie the number of boarding combatants 100% to the number of sailing crew...it's no fun to board a ship with one enemy on it.

Edited by Purudaya