PC language change deleted save files.

Potwizz

Question

I am playing on GoG, DRM free, only using Galaxy for the cloud saves and updates. Today I was experimenting with some different things on my PC I went to change my language, which changed the name of the folder where Deadfire stores its save files (%USERPROFILR%/Saved Games/Pillars of Eternity II). So "Gemte Spil" to "Saved Games" and I imagine this is what caused some problems. While the language was changed from Danish to English I opened Deadfire wanting to play for a bit, only to find the I couldn't load or continue, the save files were gone which was alarming. 

So when I changed back to danish I still wasn't able to load or continue. Since I didn't check (Which I should've) for the save files before changing back or even before opening galaxy to sync my older save files, I don't know if it just straight up deleted the saves or the game set to looking for the "Gemte Spil" folder which wasn't there, while the saves perhaps still being there. So before syncing my older saves, I should've checked for the newest ones beforehand, since when I synced my save files and checked the folder, the newer ones were definitely gone.

This is basically just to warn everyone who plays DRM free like me (or perhaps even not, since the save location will always be "Saved Games" to my knowledge, which will change language with the change, but cloud saves pretty nullifies this problem) to back up the saves or some other precaution before changing the PC language. 

I was lucky enough to have my older save files in the cloud, though I still lost a lot of progress.

Edited by Potwizz

1 answer to this question