Can we get Berath's blessing that allowes us to ignore Ship combat mini-game?

Let's face it it's not the best mini-game in the world, it's get kinda boring after playing it few times.
Berath's blessing that would give ship dmg imunitty during boarding manuever order would really help the issue.
We would just go straight to combat on the deck and not take any dmg to the ship.

Also more Berath's blessings and curses in the future would be great.
Nice curse would be to buff up all enemies in game by 2 or 5 lvls for example. (have both minor version for less points and major one)

Skip button would be preferable. Restarting a game to get rid of something you don't like in its gameplay is kinda not user-friendly (which is important for those of us who only play it once). Maybe make it an option so it won't bother people who actually like ship combat.

Pillars of Bugothas

Skip button would be preferable. Restarting a game to get rid of something you don't like in its gameplay is kinda not user-friendly (which is important for those of us who only play it once). Maybe make it an option so it won't bother people who actually like ship combat.

There is basically a skip to deck fight, but you take dmg to your ship. You can't skip it entirelly you need to somehow resolve the combat.

Edited by Farsha

There is basically a skip to deck fight, but you take dmg to your ship. You can't skip it entirelly you need to somehow resolve the combat.

That's what I'm talking about, though. Skip as in completely. And you won't get any loot as a result, of course.

Pillars of Bugothas

That's what I'm talking about, though. Skip as in completely. And you won't get any loot as a result, of course.

That is not a good solution at all, there are ship bounties. And there is a main story mechanic where enemy ships (fire giants) guard one place on the map using ships. Removing the mechanic completely would break those interactions.

Edited by Farsha
  • Like 2

That is not a good solution at all, there are ship bounties. And there is a main story mechanic where enemy ships (fire giants) guard one place on the map using ships. Removing the mechanic completely would break those interactions.

It would also break at least one quest which has an alternate path of pirating ships to get something.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Which only “breaks” if for those who don't want it at all. Which is… not a problem in my book.

Pillars of Bugothas

There’s a mod on Nexus that lets you close to quarters without taking any damage. Been using it for a while and never looked back.

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

There’s a mod on Nexus that lets you close to quarters without taking any damage. Been using it for a while and never looked back.

Cheater!

The damage is just a tiny money sink. Beside, once you get a few captain level, you get barely damaged while doing the TB combat and just doing full sail to get in range of boarding (take max 3 rnd too).

Edited by morhilane

You can scroll away and when you sea pirate ship make a curve. They give up.

There is a dock district there is two houses quest which gives hull/sails. (for avoiding combat)

You can change flag depending on the waters.

You can go directly to deck combat for some hull dmg.

Havent tested surrender option, maybe it is not that bad.

There could be "run away" option which just checks your sails and crew. (this could be good idea)

Cheater!

Yes :)

I don’t like ship combat and I don’t like ship management. I want to enjoy the rest of the game without being inconvenienced by those, so I cheat to keep both at bay. My enjoyment of the game is greater as a result, so I regret nothing ;)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I don't want to mod deadfire, really. If it was so easy to add as mod, it would be really easy to add as "Berath's blessing".

The devs have already stated that they're looking at ways to improve ship combat and Sawyer himself recognized in the most recent Twitch Q&A that a lot of players don't like it. I think we're more likely to get a significantly improved ship combat mechanic than a way to skip ship combat entirely (given that, well, it's a game about adventure on the high seas).

For now, it's pretty easy to press "1” a few times until within boarding range and the enemy rarely gets off more than one cannon shot, if any. Small annoyance at best atm.

I just mash 1. Unless you're up against Ruatai Junk, most of them deal no damage that you will easily recover as you roam around. Junk 4-5 hits is the only time they are almost gauranteed to injure a few crew and you have to waste time healing them but fortunately, most of them are close to ports and if you land in any ports, you get a full repair and a full heal.

The devs have already stated that they're looking at ways to improve ship combat and Sawyer himself recognized in the most recent Twitch Q&A that a lot of players don't like it. I think we're more likely to get a significantly improved ship combat mechanic than a way to skip ship combat entirely (given that, well, it's a game about adventure on the high seas).

For now, it's pretty easy to press "1” a few times until within boarding range and the enemy rarely gets off more than one cannon shot, if any. Small annoyance at best atm.

They should probably start with fixing the "boat compass". Half the time, it's not showing the right orientation..or I want those ship that aren't Voyagers with front canons.

Pressing 1 right at the start and ignoring the rest is fastest and lowest damage way to deal with ships.

I barely started the game so I don't know yet, are you actually able to capture and sell enemy ships, or maybe build an allied/loyal fleet with them? Would be neat to build up your own forces / faction, perhaps even a pirate den or harbor city, but if you can't do these then I see why the ship combat might annoy people.

IB1OsQq.png

I barely started the game so I don't know yet, are you actually able to capture and sell enemy ships, or maybe build an allied/loyal fleet with them? Would be neat to build up your own forces / faction, perhaps even a pirate den or harbor city, but if you can't do these then I see why the ship combat might annoy people.

You can't capture entire ships or start your own faction (the mid-late game economy is already broken enough), but you do get loot from sinking/boarding ships and several of the major bounties are ship captains. The combat needs work, but there are other elements of the ship system that I like - you even start to develop a sense of relationship with your crew, which is pretty amazing given how surface-level they are individually. 

The fact I can't get in front of the enemy boat once it turns is kinda frustrating. 

If you're 300m away from the boat, and it turns so its not facing you, or it has its back to you....  what do you expect to happen, you teleport your ship over 300m distance, so that you're miraculously in front of it?

They should probably start with fixing the "boat compass". Half the time, it's not showing the right orientation..or I want those ship that aren't Voyagers with front canons.

Pressing 1 right at the start and ignoring the rest is fastest and lowest damage way to deal with ships.

This is very true.  There are essentially two ways to do ship combat. 

1.  Try to defeat the enemy ship in ship to ship combat.  This method is supposedly better for earning crew XP.

2.   Try to defeat the enemy ship by engaging in a boarding action.  This method is supposedly better for earning more booty.

I generally prefer going for boarding actions, given that I'm still using my trusty little ol' Defiant.  While she can do a pretty good job against small ships, I don't want to risk ship duels against larger (more HP), better armed ships.  Also, if you think you can handle it, sometimes it's not a bad idea to try to engage the enemy ship for a while, using chain shot mostly to de-sail her and grape shot to try to maximize crew injuries, so that when you eventually commit to a boarding action, you've (I think) reduced the number of defenders on the enemy ship.