Spearcaster + Driving Flight = friendly fire?

Uglzorp

Question

I have the Driving Flight skill and the Spearcaster weapon equipped on Maia and the combat logs says the bounced projectiles are hitting my companions. I'm not sure if damage is being applied but the status effects (Knockback + Prone + Immobile) definitely are. It's pretty annoying. 

EDIT: Did some more testing:

- This only appears to happen with the Spearcaster.

- The friendly fire projectiles don't do any damage but do apply status effects.

Seeing as this is most likely (hopefully) a bug, I've uploaded the relevant files for a bug report: Dropbox

Edited by Uglzorp

4 answers to this question

That happens with a variety of weapons, especially when it comes to Maia (sadly).

Seems to mostly only apply to ranged weapons though. "Three Bells Through" (a unique arquebus) fires an "aoe" line attack as it's basic attack (not "foe aoe", so it can hit allies), and according to the description it can hit up to 3 targets per shot. So I figured combining it with Driving Flight would wreck clumps of enemies. It does, but it also chunks ally health too, and the Driving Flight bounces cause the (new) line to target back to Maia, making her shoot herself.

It's quite funny, but... not very combat effective.

My suggestion for a Maia weapon is to use Frostcaller, a unique warbow found in the woods just west of Neketaka. You'll need a few points in Survival to be able to follow the tracks to get to it, and there's a pretty tough fight involved (its on the corpse). However, the weapons basic attack fires a staggering twelve projectiles, with +20-25% frost damage (each). She uses it to devastating effect, especially if you went Scout (Ranger + Rogue) path for her. Twelve projectiles + Driving Flight + Deep Wounds = a massive cascade of damage numbers every time she fires.

Aloth: "Vela, that's not a very nice word... Where did you learn that?"

Vela: "Uncle Serafen."

Aloth: "I see.. We'll just have to have a little chat then, wont we?"

I'm more questioning whether or not this is by design or a bug. As far as I know, Driving Flight is not supposed to target friendlies (it specifically says +1 Foe Jump Target) and the Spearcaster's knockback/prone/immobile status effects are supposed to be applied directly to the hit target(s), not as a neutral AoE that can hit friendlies.

The Three Bells Through issue makes sense since it effectively shoots an AoE line that can hit friendlies. It doesn't really make any sense for the Spearcaster which isn't supposed to be an AoE weapon.

That happens with a variety of weapons, especially when it comes to Maia (sadly).

Seems to mostly only apply to ranged weapons though. "Three Bells Through" (a unique arquebus) fires an "aoe" line attack as it's basic attack (not "foe aoe", so it can hit allies), and according to the description it can hit up to 3 targets per shot. So I figured combining it with Driving Flight would wreck clumps of enemies. It does, but it also chunks ally health too, and the Driving Flight bounces cause the (new) line to target back to Maia, making her shoot herself.

It's quite funny, but... not very combat effective.

My suggestion for a Maia weapon is to use Frostcaller, a unique warbow found in the woods just west of Neketaka. You'll need a few points in Survival to be able to follow the tracks to get to it, and there's a pretty tough fight involved (its on the corpse). However, the weapons basic attack fires a staggering twelve projectiles, with +20-25% frost damage (each). She uses it to devastating effect, especially if you went Scout (Ranger + Rogue) path for her. Twelve projectiles + Driving Flight + Deep Wounds = a massive cascade of damage numbers every time she fires.

It seems like a waste to not use an arquebus (or at least some other firearm) given Maia's Gunhawk range subclass.  Arming her with a non-gun ranged weapon is essentially giving up all of her subclass' benefits.