Age of Wonders - Planetfall announced!

Rhaeg

Turn-based strategy... there have been some great titles in this genre in the (distant) past, but nowadays no one does it better than Triumph Studios (Age of Wonders, Overlord) IMO. I was expecting an Age of Wonders 4, but today Triumph Studios(/Paradox) announced Age of Wonders - Planetfall as their next TBS game to be released sometime next year:

https://www.aow-planetfall.com/

I am guessing there are quite a few fans of the genre here, so do take a look and follow this game if you're a TBS and/or fantasy/scifi fan. It's a niche game, so they can use all the support they can get...

Personally I was hoping for an AOW4 in their 20-year old fantasy setting, but I'll give this one a try because they're building on the successful mechanics of AOW3 and because the old team that made these TBS games is still pretty much intact after all these years, including the original founders of Triumph Studios.

Well I will keep my eye on this but it still does not look like I want my Alpha Centaury successor to be, probably

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Well I will keep my eye on this but it still does not look like I want my Alpha Centaury successor to be, probably

Are you familiar with the AOW fantasy titles? As far as gameplay mechanics go it will play a lot like those. 

I never played Alpha Centaury, but the name pops up a lot these past few days when people discuss Planetfall and I've heard only good things about it :)

It is very different. Alpha Centauri and Age of Wonders are my favourite 4X titles, but they each have their very own spot that doesn't antagonize the other. AC is a Civ in space done right. I don't think one should expect any similarities to it from Planetfall. They have far different background to draw from gameplaywise.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

It is very different. Alpha Centauri and Age of Wonders are my favourite 4X titles, but they each have their very own spot that doesn't antagonize the other. AC is a Civ in space done right. I don't think one should expect any similarities to it from Planetfall. They have far different background to draw from gameplaywise.

One can still dream, I like AoW but I can't picture same gameplay in Sci-Fi. There was so much tied to Heroes and Magic

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Reminding people of the factions we are looking forward to:

Amazon:

Spoiler

Amazon:

Assembly:

Spoiler

Dvar:

Spoiler

Kir'Ko:

Spoiler

Syndicate:

Spoiler

Vanguard:

Spoiler

What will you choose?

• Like 2

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

TBH the Amazons had me at "combat penguin".

I'm on the fence on this game though, there's a bunch of thing about it I find appealing (and Michiel van den Bos is always a big plus), but OTOH I always have the same grievances with 4X games and most factions aren't my cup of tea. Plus I know AoW 3 let you mix and match races with leader classes and that's missing here? I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

• Like 1

I like the Dvar space dwarf look. There have been too few space dwarves in strategy games. Actually there hasn't been enough space fantasy with elves, dwarves and orcs and goblins, since Warhammer 40K decided to become serious and grimdark (and mostly badly written drivel 😛 ).

But Amazons have dinosaurs with lasers. What can compete with that?

• 3 weeks later...

Dwarves in Space ?  Volo is missing out.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra