When I think of ascendant I think of maxed out ability spamming. The main thing that would make that better is getting to spam 8/9th level abilities for free, which only a single class can do. If you really want to multi-class the normal cipher combinations will work, but if you're trying to squeeze the most out of ascension I think single class makes sense.

• Like 1

When I think of ascendant I think of maxed out ability spamming. The main thing that would make that better is getting to spam 8/9th level abilities for free, which only a single class can do. If you really want to multi-class the normal cipher combinations will work, but if you're trying to squeeze the most out of ascension I think single class makes sense.

My thinking here is multiclassed with barb or monk would gain focus quicker and spam ascended abilities quicker. Debating whether it's worth losing the 8/9 abilities.

You can get max focus quick enough without multiclass. Weapon swap with guns, target weaker enemies first.

I tried an ascendant/ranger (accuracy is gold here) in order to reliably reach max focus. It works fine, but I find myself missing the point of Ascendant this way.

Ascendant/Helwalker is crazy strong. I posted this in another thread, but its relevant here as well. Updated a few things:

Ranged Helwalker/Ascendant is pretty awesome. Lightning Strikes, Duality, Thunderous Blows, Enduring Dance, etc on the monk side of things. With Draining Whip and the blunderbuss that has the built in aoe damage and one of the scepters with an extra jump or something like that (recently found the pistol with the stacking action speed buff and thats absolutely amazing for cipher), you cap your focus super fast. I'm sure it'd be really strong with long pain and turning wheel too, especially for single target, but I haven't messed around with that yet. Definitely a bit squishy but its easily manageable if you're playing with a party with a tank/melee or two and something that can give you some heals. Good damage, good cc and debuffs. I'd definitely recommend it.

Edit: I really don't see single class ascendant being able to compete with the multi from a damage standpoint. Time Parasite is really nice but with the helwalker multi you're getting:

​-Lightning Strikes: 20% action speed, 30% lightning lash, 5 dex

-Dance of Death/Enduring Dance: 12 accuracy at full

-Thunderous Blows: 5 might, 2 pen

-Duality: 10 int at 10 wounds

-Helwalker: 10 might at 10 wounds

At lower levels you still have mind blades which is great damage for 2+ targets. A little bit higher you get silent scream, then borrowed instinct is an amazing buff, and then a bit later you get amplified wave. All 3 work great as spammable damage dealers. Obviously theres really good CC options at lower levels too (ie: whispers of treason). The trade off is basically all of the above stats for Time Parasite, Death of a Thousand Cuts (and Driving Echoes as far as party buffs go), and unlocking stuff a bit faster. But its not like cipher doesn't have any good damage spells until you get to amplified wave or silent scream, so basically you have a very strong 2+ target damage dealer right out the gate with mind blades, so I never felt like it was in a rush to get those higher level abilities like some builds need to really unlock their potential.

This isn't all to say that single class cipher couldn't be strong too, it's more a statement of the current state of monk buffs, because they are really really OP for a class like cipher that benefits hugely from all the accuracy/speed/might/int. With the current undertuned state of POTD, lot of fights are ending so fast that I barely even have time to utilize being Ascended, so I feel like this build is only going to get stronger as POTD gets tuned and hopefully a lot of the later game fights stop being auto attack roll overs.

Edited by mrscojangles
  • Like 2

Agree with the others.. The most efficient way is the single class, I max focus in a couple of attack with that bow that release multiple projectile.. but I guess u can also be effective with a weapon based multiclass

I just wish there was a way to set AI to spam spell only when focus is maxed!!

Edited by Edolamberto

SIngle-class ascendant for dps and support, same thing for pure cc/ support in single class- draining whip is so strong that even a cipher focused purely on cc should pick ascendant - you will end up casting more spells that way compared to any other option.

for multi-class it gets trickier, if you multi for dps I think soul blade is probably better for dps "attack class" or with any warrior cleave stance because of synergy. for a multi cc tank/support other than fighter I think ascendant again is better with draining whip like say you make a "tank" paladin/cipher, or chanter/cipher or barb cipher - max out focus and then focus on buffing allies and charming and debilitating enemies when ascended. 

it will probably be patched but time parasite at the moment is one of those "broken" ridiculous abilities which turn a meh class into something op and broken so there is that and you only get it if you go single class.  

Why You want Ascendant?

If "to cast powerful spells" then single class with draining whip. Use guns, either with swap, or from range to achieve safety and use think armour.

If you want to MC SoulBlade or Beguiler coud fit more to what you want to chieve.

Cost of MC is not only lack of 8/9 tier but that you delay everything by 4 levels and suffer -2 PL from level 9. 

I multiclassed Ascendant with Assassin, and it's been pretty badass. One assassinate can get me up to max focus, and then I spam.

Katarack21 what level is your character? I tried that with a test character and I found as I got to be higher levels I was having trouble reaching max focus off one strike. It's possible I was under geared / un-optimized at the time so I'm curious.

I multiclassed Ascendant with Assassin, and it's been pretty badass. One assassinate can get me up to max focus, and then I spam.

Katarack21 what level is your character? I tried that with a test character and I found as I got to be higher levels I was having trouble reaching max focus off one strike. It's possible I was under geared / un-optimized at the time so I'm curious.

Level 13. I'm specialized into crits and invisibility and using the Thundercrack Pistol with the Paralyzing enchantment.

if you're a multiclass you'll probably achieve ascendent faster and the +power level means you're kinda on equal footing to a normal single class (non ascendent) cipher... yes you loose out on 2 spell levels and the really good cipher spells are on the last levels....

I'd personally go multiclass and choose another class that has an accurate hard hitting ability that can generate a lot of focus fast - such as the paladin with flames of devotion (which also works ranged).

My issue with single class cipher is also that outside of cipher spells they don't have any interesting abilities and it takes quite some while to get the good cipher spells so in the beginning your character most likely just "comes along" ...at least thats how i felt about serafin before respeccin him to a witch

Edited by Nemesis7884

• 3 months later...

My issue with single class cipher is also that outside of cipher spells they don't have any interesting abilities and it takes quite some while to get the good cipher spells

Being able to spam the Brilliant Inspiration on your party is an automatic win button ;)

Getting it 4 levels earlier is pretty good.

Single class ciphers make absolutely terrific supports, ascendants all the more so.

PL 1:

- Tenuous Grasp to soften a target

- Valorous Echoes to buff your allies

PL2:

- Paralyze for emergency CC

PL4:

- Pain Block to buff and heal your tank

- Body Attunement to steal 2 armor from foes

PL8:

- Time Parasite to reduces enemy damage by 25% for a grand total of 5 foes, not to mention the buff you get for yourself

And that's without even beginning to dig into the other spells.

I love me a support cipher <3