I was helping assassination all along?!

Ok, I've tested this and there is a way to fumble both assassinations.

For the one in Fort Maje - persuade the spy to take the missive without dealing with the stalker. It will be later revealed that due to complications the spy had to leave port Maje.

For the one in Tikawara - don't defend the spy and when the fighting starts get him killed (by npcs or backstab him yourself). Being dead he won't be able to kill anybody.

The only assassination I wasn't able to prevent was Maia's, but it is not shown in the slides whom she killed anyway. 

• Like 5

Assassins using a well-meaning being of influence and power to shield their tactics and gain access to places and people they otherwise would not have access to, preying on their trusting nature and ignorance?

Man...that never happens.

• Like 4

Assassins using a well-meaning being of influence and power to shield their tactics and gain access to places and people they otherwise would not have access to, preying on their trusting nature and ignorance?

Personally, I didn't catch up that I was helping with assassinations until ending slides. But playing now I just can't help but see how shifty Maia is about this, she definitely knows where all of this is leading, and I just can't trust her anymore. I don't like companions using me for doing their dirty work while keeping me in the dark.

• Like 7

Personally, I didn't catch up that I was helping with assassinations until ending slides. But playing now I just can't help but see how shifty Maia is about this, she definitely knows where all of this is leading, and I just can't trust her anymore. I don't like companions using me for doing their dirty work while keeping me in the dark.

One of the gods gives you a frank warning about this at your 1st scripted dialogue with Maia ..if you chose certain dialogue options with her.

• Like 1

you already doing someone dirty work...

*shrug*....the gods....a companion....an npc lost somewhere... :lol:

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

I don't think you're supposed to like it, honestly. It's a narrative about the state the world is in. You're a legendary figure, the Watcher of Caed Nua, the Godchaser, the Herald of Berath...and you're not immune to being manipulated, lied to, used and kept in the dark about the goings on of the world around you.

It sucks but it's also something that could very easily happen.

• Like 6

Welp, like Zeratul already wrote further above, all the bounty jobs are pretty much assassinations. So please don't take up on them either. :>

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Welp, like Zeratul already wrote further above, all the bounty jobs are pretty much assassinations. So please don't take up on them either. :>

Bounties are up there in the open - somebody did something bad and bounty hunters got a permission to put a contract on that somebody's head. It's not some covert assassination mission of innocent people. And yes, they're innocent because they were not guilty of anything officialy - they were just stepping stones in factions rival war.

And besides that, it's that Maia lies and hides that information on purpose is what irks me the most. So yeah, not my watch, Maia!

• Like 3

For the record...

A "bounty" is a legally authorized action against a target or group of targets and do not always involved execution of the target (although they do in this game). "Bounty hunting" is a legitimate profession and bounty hunters are still employed even by governments today. These are legal.

An "assassination" is an illegal execution of a target or group of targets often sponsored by private parties. Yes, assassinations can be issued by the government but they are different from bounties in the following way:

If a bounty hunter is apprehended by the local authorities, they will have a license or other legal document giving them legal immunity and this document will be signed and/or stamped by a legally authorized representative. If an assassin is apprehended by the local authorities, the government will deny any and all knowledge of the individual and the activity.

• Like 6

The way I understood it, Maia didn't know it was assassination before she opened hers, but she knew she wasn't going to like what was going to be in it in advance. There is a reason she straight up tell you she's a spy...she hates that job. 

But she hates abandoning her country even more.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Bounties are up there in the open - somebody did something bad and bounty hunters got a permission to put a contract on that somebody's head. It's not some covert assassination mission of innocent people. And yes, they're innocent because they were not guilty of anything officialy - they were just stepping stones in factions rival war.

And besides that, it's that Maia lies and hides that information on purpose is what irks me the most. So yeah, not my watch, Maia!

innocent? how? 

That idiot on Maje or whatever is the name of that 1st island..I'm pretty sure he is a sleazy . And you don't gain an outpost to look after in the Valliant by doing good . 

And the chieftien is letting his peoples die of hunger...counting on trade and handing over territory...for the sake of tradition . 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

This. Maia will stay on the ship, and I am going to sabotage RDC as much as I can. At least Pallegina is honest about Vailians.

But also I found it strange that the only two options in a later dialogue were to either "not talk about it" or discuss how to better do her job. Unless I am missing something. 

You can't outright tell her this is wrong, what RDC is doing is wrong. You can either not talk about it at all or support RDC and advise on how to better break the Huana for conquest.

And the chieftien is letting his peoples die of hunger...counting on trade and handing over territory...for the sake of tradition . 

No thats not it. He is not giving territory, he is only inviting Vailian cooperation to establish a trading post and to help their settlement because he is no longer adhering to tradition. The one who wants to stick to tradition in the Priest lady, and RDC are the ones who take land from Huana. Vailians are actually less invasive, they work in cooperation, not through submission.

Thing is Tikawara can't survive without trading post because of how scarce the natural resources are. Kokti grows badly there and from what I remember there are troubles with the fish as well. An alliance with VTC is that of necessity and survival, not because the chieftain is stupid.

Edited by Aridea
  • Like 3
Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

This. Maia will stay on the ship, and I am going to sabotage RDC as much as I can. At least Pallegina is honest about Vailians.

But also I found it strange that the only two options in a later dialogue were to either "not talk about it" or discuss how to better do her job. Unless I am missing something. 

You can't outright tell her this is wrong, what RDC is doing is wrong. You can either not talk about it at all or support RDC and advise on how to better break the Huana for conquest.

Vailians are actually less invasive, they work in cooperation, not through submission.

That's putting a mighty fine shine on it. The Vailians only care about how much money they are making, and are not above manipulating people into coercive "deals" that create utter dependence on the VTC for survival. Not to mention the whole slave trade thing.

• Like 1

That's putting a mighty fine shine on it. The Vailians only care about how much money they are making, and are not above manipulating people into coercive "deals" that create utter dependence on the VTC for survival. Not to mention the whole slave trade thing.

Oh for sure, I am not saying they are innocent. They are hungry for money and deal in slaves. 

I was just comparing them with RDC. And in case of Tikawara the deal with Vailians would actually benefit the village I think, because at least they would no longer starve.

Edited by Aridea
  • Like 2
Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

No thats not it. He is not giving territory, he is only inviting Vailian cooperation to establish a trading post and to help their settlement because he is no longer adhering to tradition. The one who wants to stick to tradition in the Priest lady, and RDC are the ones who take land from Huana. Vailians are actually less invasive, they work in cooperation, not through submission.

Thing is Tikawara can't survive without trading post because of how scarce the natural resources are. Kokti grows badly there and from what I remember there are troubles with the fish as well. An alliance with VTC is that of necessity and survival, not because the chieftain is stupid.

remind you that dialogues are bugged..

so maybe it doesn't show up cose of that. Or maybe you need to do something before it happen ? 

'Establish a trading post' take territory that once you put it there..it's theirs . I mean...the trading post aint on a ship , it's right on the island . 

And it's creating depandance , so same things as signing a contract and you never read the little letters down there . 

He is stupid in the sense that they eat the fruit for the festival which is tradition and never plant the seed....

Elderly Hive Dweller

That idiot on Maje or whatever is the name of that 1st island..I'm pretty sure he is a sleazy . And you don't gain an outpost to look after in the Valliant by doing good . 

Any evidence? No?

Well, I've got evidence in the ending slides that if you let those people live those towns will flourish under Vailians and that's a hard evidence that that faction can do some good.

• Like 2

Any evidence? No?

Well, I've got evidence in the ending slides that if you let those people live those towns will flourish under Vailians and that's a hard evidence that that faction can do some good.

he is still sleasy though..... :p

Elderly Hive Dweller

Isn't there a statement at one point that the constant storms from Poko Kohara are disturbing the fish and that's the problem there? It's not that the leader is turning from tradition that's the problem; some turning from tradition, like planting the seeds of the fruit instead of eating them, would benefit the tribe. It's that the leader is counting on the foreign traders to save them instead of taking direct action on their own behalf. Anaharu was right in that the Huana need to depend on themselves, but he was wrong in clinging blindly to the past.

• Like 1

'Establish a trading post' take territory that once you put it there..it's theirs . I mean...the trading post aint on a ship , it's right on the island . 

And it's creating depandance , so same things as signing a contract and you never read the little letters down there . 

He is stupid in the sense that they eat the fruit for the festival which is tradition and never plant the seed....

I understood that the situation with Tikiwara was basically RDC vs Vailians. Either VTC establishes their trade post there and helps the village survive, or RDC completely takes over, and THAT will be taking over the land. RDC basically conquers and subjugates, plus they employ assasination tactics to break the spirit of people instead of growth for everyne.

Trading post doesn't give out territory, its just that - a trading post, the land in question still belongs to the Huana, unless there is a property contract in question (which we saw in another quest). VTC doesn't just come and take the land. The Trading Post does create some sort of dependency true, but usually these kinds of things are beneficial for everyone. Huana can buy food from trade and in return sell something else they can get/produce on the island, for example the... carpets? I don't remember what they were producing there. Or work in aiding vailians mine adra.

The fact remains a fact - there is shortage of food on the island, and it would not survive without outside help.

As for cultivating the fruit. Cultivating one fruit will not help in the larger scale and will not feed the entire village because the soil is not good enough. You can get that information from talking to villagers and to the ranga. So that little quest basically helps no-one. The only way the village can prosper is through trade, or if Onekaza decides to send more supplies on a regular basis there, but she doesn't have resources. 

Edited by Aridea
  • Like 1

Or work in aiding vailians mine adra.

You mean "work for slave wages in an incredibly dangerous job so they can get just enough money not to starve". Because if they demand more than that, the VTC will just use *actual slaves*.

Hmm there is no evidence that this is how its going to be, and the alternative is starving to death.

Btw, don't get me wrong, my optimal ending is either going solo or helping the Huana recover, they suffered enough. I just think in this case the Vailian trade would actually benefit the village.

Hmm there is no evidence that this is how its going to be, and the alternative is starving to death.

Btw, don't get me wrong, my optimal ending is either going solo or helping the Huana recover, they suffered enough. I just think in this case the Vailian trade would actually benefit the village.

There's no specific evidence about Tikawara, but there is evidence that this is a common business modal of the VTC. The digsite in Port Maje, if you read the papers by the operators, specifically mentions depending on cheap local Huana (specifically Roparu, because they do what their told and don't complain) labor because they always need coin, and mentions regular injuries that are dismissed by superiors. Meanwhile the Crookspur quest like makes it clear that the VTC have no problem using slave labor if they feel it would be more profitable.

And of course, this fate is implied to be what Anaharu and Nairi are afraid will happen.

Edited by Katarack21
  • Like 2

I understood that the situation with Tikiwara was basically RDC vs Vailians. Either VTC establishes their trade post there and helps the village survive, or RDC completely takes over, and THAT will be taking over the land. RDC basically conquers and subjugates, plus they employ assasination tactics to break the spirit of people instead of growth for everyne.

Trading post doesn't give out territory, its just that - a trading post, the land in question still belongs to the Huana, unless there is a property contract in question (which we saw in another quest). VTC doesn't just come and take the land. The Trading Post does create some sort of dependency true, but usually these kinds of things are beneficial for everyone. Huana can buy food from trade and in return sell something else they can get/produce on the island, for example the... carpets? I don't remember what they were producing there. Or work in aiding vailians mine adra.

The fact remains a fact - there is shortage of food on the island, and it would not survive without outside help.

As for cultivating the fruit. Cultivating one fruit will not help in the larger scale and will not feed the entire village because the soil is not good enough. You can get that information from talking to villagers and to the ranga. So that little quest basically helps no-one. The only way the village can prosper is through trade, or if Onekaza decides to send more supplies on a regular basis there, but she doesn't have resources.

The shortage of food is caused by the stoms of poko kohara, and the chieftain trusts that the vailians will swoop in and save them without taking into account the fact that they'll simply strip-mine the area for luminous adra, then leave them to starve again. When RDC take over in the ending slides they do it "divide and conquer"-style, as can be seen with Maia's quests and their general dealings in the Deadfire: they assassinate the ranga, then bring in the goods and support they need to survive the transition, also making them seem more trustworthy to other tribes. It's dirty as hell, but relatively bloodless and in my view benefits the natives more than being dependent on Vailian colonialism.

Also, the chief's making his people build a huge trade post while they're actively starving, which didn't really endear the guy to me.

Aside from picking sides, this whole discussion is a testament to the writers' work in putting actual meaningful choices in the game. All factions are a certain shade of awful.

• Like 3

Also, I may be wrong on this, but isn't Poko Kohara one of the few places that, apart from simply being a functional Adra pillar, still has active and functional computer equipment controlling the Adra pillar?

I'm not sure I trust the VTC with that.

• Like 1

Also, I may be wrong on this, but isn't Poko Kohara one of the few places that, apart from simply being a functional Adra pillar, still has active and functional computer equipment controlling the Adra pillar?

I'm not sure I trust the VTC with that.

That was also the main reason i destroyed the pillar: to me, it was either A) leave the pillar standing only to leave it for the vailians to experiment on, which seemed especially bad considering it already got corrupted without animancy experiments; or B) destroy it and all the souls in it, as well as removing one of the routes towards reincarnation (not a pleasant choice either) but at least making certain the adra pillar, and the souls that would end up passing through it, don't get corrupted or abused by the Vailians, as well-intended as their research may be.

Edited by Taevyr