Is it possible to change or remove sounds? The game uses .wem files, which I can't seem to open in any software, and the filenames don't reveal anything useful. The sound I specifically want gone is the very ill-fitting howling wind that regularly occurs while in palaces, mansions, underground fortresses and the like, as mentioned here.

If I knew which file this was I could delete it, hopefully without negative repercussions, or alternatively edit the file itself. Had to do that in the first game to remove that obnoxious laughing man in every tavern, but it looks more difficult in POE2. Would be great if somebody could help me out.

Found a program called Ravioli Game Tools, which enabled me to open, listen to, and extract .wem files. Can't know what's what though (each file name is just a long number), nor how to change them, if that is even possible.

Saw in another thread that override for audio files is not possible, so perhaps we're out of luck? :(

Hi, there!

I've made a mod that overwrites audio files. Alas, the override/ folder cannot be used for this and the original files themselves have to be overwritten.
The files you're looking for will be in PillarsOfEternityII_Data\StreamingAssets\Audio\Windows\Voices\English(US)

Here's how I modified the files:

Step 0) Back up the files
Step 1) Download Divinity Sound Converter

Step 2) Place the .wem files in the converter's root folder, run the divinity_converter.exe. The .ogg's files will end up in NUMBERED or NON-NUMBERED

Step 3) Modify the files as you see fit, using Audacity or something.

Step 4) Download Audiokinetic Wwise

Step 5) Create a new project in Wwise

Step 6) In "Project Explorer" in the top-left, go to the ShareSets tab, then expand the Conversion Settings -> Default Work Unit folders

Step 7) Double-click Default Conversion Settings, change Format to Vorbis and set Quality to 6. Then, you may close that window

Step 8) Go back to Audio in Project Explorer and click Actor-Mixer Hierarchy -> Default Work Unit

Step 9) On the bar on the top-left, Click Project... -> Import Audio Files. Change the "Audio file destination" folder to an appropriate folder for the converted files to be placed, then click "Add Files". Highlight which files you want to convert
Step 10) Click Project... -> Convert All Audio Files. Tick everything if it isn't already, then hit OK

Step 11) Your files will end up in the ProjectName/.cache folder. You may have to go through a few folders before you find them.
Step 12) Now, here's the annoying bit. By default, Wwise appends strings on the end of the file names for some reason. I've found a .bat script to rename them en masse to the correct names. Using the code I've pasted below, open Notepad, paste the code in, and save it as "rename.bat". Then move it to the folder with all the .wem files you just made and run it.

Step 13) Copy and paste all of your modified files over to the game's files and it will overwrite them all :)

rename.bat

setlocal enabledelayedexpansion
for %%i in (*.wem) do (
set ffName="%%i"
ren "!ffName!" "!ffName:~0,-14!.wem"
)

Hope this helps! :)

• Like 5

Hey Finchhy, I sorta did what you described after a lot of painful googling (besides the "rename .bat" at the end).

However after I moved the renamed track in the /StreamingAssets/Audio/Windows folder and run the game, the track doesn't play. Instead the music goes silent where it should be playing.

Any idea I could be doing wrong?

Edit: To ensure I didn't screw up the .wav > .wem conversion in Wwise, I made the converted .wem back to an .ogg and the track plays normally. I should also clarify this is a music track and not a voice/sound effect track.

This is beyond my knowledge I'm afraid.

Edited by OrpheusM

Hey Finchhy, I sorta did what you described after a lot of painful googling (besides the "rename .bat" at the end).

Are you 100% certain the the new file's name is the same as the old file name?

Yea, just double checked.

Gonna take a wild guess and assume the .wem file has some form of structure when it comes to soundbanks and my version has the track placed the wrong bank.

Edited by OrpheusM

Fiddled through "SoundbankInfo.xml" inside \PillarsOfEternityII_Data\StreamingAssets\Audio\Windows and found the following line:

/File>
<File Id="104473804" Language="SFX">
<ShortName>Music\mus_glb_character_creation.wav</ShortName>
<Path>SFX\Music\mus_glb_character_creation_DDBC0D13.wem</Path>
</File>

"104473804" is the file I'm trying to change, but the paths shown in the code aren't anywhere inside the game's directories. So I'm assuming they are somehow structured into .wem files? 

Anyone has any idea what this means?