Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Should I buy a ship?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

Karkarov

Karkarov

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3116 posts
  • Steam:Karkarov
  • PSN Portable ID:Karkarov
  • Xbox Gamertag:Karkarov
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

You don't find it kind of boring to sink any ship with 1-2 salvos?

Currently I have a Dhow, and it has served me well. Takes a bit longer than two salvos because we have just 3 cannons per side, but it's been a lot of fun, and sometimes you get into a sticky situation where it's somewhat close. I find that exciting. "Hope I don't hit their sails now, or they could do some serious damage on the counter afterwards".

Suppose I'll still upgrade to a Junk (funny eh?) at some point, just a little concerned about the slow movement. Right now when I don't have a ton of money, think I'll prefer to upgrade equipment on the Dhow instead of buying a galleon or junk.

Btw: those who have basically sank every ship out there, have you managed to get crew with two skills up to master in one or both of them? I haven't so far, and it looks like they are topping out at four 'stars' combined.

I get that winning with a lesser ship is more rewarding, I sank over 1/3rd of the named ships with the Sloop.  But if I can win on turn 9-12 (where 7 of those turns is two holds, 1 jibe, and two round of firing), I would much rather do that than win in 20+.  I think my shortest win in the Sloop was against a Voyager and it still took 15-16 turns, and three of them were not auto turns from a jibe.

Slow movement on the Junk?  It is actually just slightly slower than the Dhow, with good upgrades you won't even be able to tell the difference.  The 3 turn jibe doesn't matter, because you win on cannon fire #2  instead of 4-5.

Ciphys is also correct, crew can only earn 4 stars total.  So characters that are recruited with only 1 star, or 2 stars but in the same skill, are the best crew members because they can achieve master rank in a skill whereas the others can't.

EDIT:  Versatile crew are still okay.  There is always the off chance someone will get injured, or you have to do move order to deal with a deck fire or something. Having some backfill can cover in those moments.

@Masticator

Level is their literal level.  Before you have party members out the wazoo your crew will help you in fights.  The higher level they are the better they are as fighters.  As you fill out your sidekicks, companions, and maybe hire a merc, they start helping in battle instead of your crew.  Rank are the star things we mentioned, each normal crew person can only earn 2-3 rank ups depending on how many ranks they had when you hired them on.

Edited by Karkarov, 19 May 2018 - 04:14 PM.

Masticator

Masticator

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

ahh thanks. Anyone know where to find more crew members? I picked some up at the tavern in Queen's Berth and the tavern on the pirate island where the highest ranking pirate is (I can't remember the name sorry). Seems like I might have seen some more somewhere, but I can't remember where. I'd like to pick up some who can achieve master rank and aren't as versatile.

KDubya

KDubya

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1543 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

So is it better to go for a Junk, Dhow or a Galleon if I want to upgrade  from the starter ship and actually win in ship combat?

PangaeaACDC

PangaeaACDC

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 361 posts
  • Steam:Kill it with fire!
  • Deadfire Backer

You don't find it kind of boring to sink any ship with 1-2 salvos?

Currently I have a Dhow, and it has served me well. Takes a bit longer than two salvos because we have just 3 cannons per side, but it's been a lot of fun, and sometimes you get into a sticky situation where it's somewhat close. I find that exciting. "Hope I don't hit their sails now, or they could do some serious damage on the counter afterwards".

I get that winning with a lesser ship is more rewarding, I sank over 1/3rd of the named ships with the Sloop.  But if I can win on turn 9-12 (where 7 of those turns is two holds, 1 jibe, and two round of firing), I would much rather do that than win in 20+.  I think my shortest win in the Sloop was against a Voyager and it still took 15-16 turns, and three of them were not auto turns from a jibe.

Slow movement on the Junk?  It is actually just slightly slower than the Dhow, with good upgrades you won't even be able to tell the difference.  The 3 turn jibe doesn't matter, because you win on cannon fire #2  instead of 4-5.

It's not really about speed for me, because I genuinely like the ship combat, going through the turns and adapting depending on what happens. Great fun to see random events on the enemy ship and being able to take down superior ships. For instance yesterday I sunk a 135 hull-health ship without being in real danger myself with the Dhow. Okay, I had just bought the expensive top hull (+15 health), but still great fun.

As indicated I'll probably upgrade to a galleon or junk at some point, but unless I run into something much wilder than the 2-white skull 135-huller, I'm thinking the Dhow should be enough to sink everything out there.

Attached is a picture of the Stomper going down, and another where the enemy got badly hurt by random events, and never got back into it after that. My guess is that it's kind of a Crit effect, so with well over 100 chances, this will happen more frequently. (And a slight advantage with the Dhow is that the enemy has a lower hit-chance against you than if you have a Junk, 60% base vs 70% base chance).

Attached File  Rock-Stomper Rodul goes down.jpg   147.78KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Ough, bad enemy rolls.jpg   146.74KB   0 downloads

PangaeaACDC

PangaeaACDC

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 361 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

So is it better to go for a Junk, Dhow or a Galleon if I want to upgrade  from the starter ship and actually win in ship combat?

Depends what you want I suppose. The Dhow is faster, so it's easier to manoeuvre in combat if something special happens, like the enemy trying to escape. Largely this isn't an issue though, so then it's down to 2-turn jibes (180-degree turn) vs 3-turns with the galleon and junk. If you want combat to be over with as quick as possible, the junk is probably the best ship, as it has 5 cannons on each side. The galleon has 4 and the dhow 3.

The Galleon has the superior hull with 120-base health, while the dhow and junk is equal with 80 base health (more with upgrades).

The attached picture from another thread should help greatly :)

Attached File  POE2-Ship_stats.png   14.87KB   37 downloads

PS: The base hit chance for the sloop (starting ship) is 50%. This is the enemy's chance to hit you, before other modifiers like crew ranks and distance.

Edited by PangaeaACDC, 20 May 2018 - 06:13 AM.

• FlintlockJazz, KDubya and Epimetreus like this

PIP-Clownboy

PIP-Clownboy

Anathematized Apostate of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 396 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Thanks for that random reddit thread, my in game experience doesn't agree.  If there is reduced loot it is obscenely minimal.  The Crew exp on the other hand is much much higher if you sink.  Like twice the exp.  Also once you have a real ship with a real crew, it is actually faster to sink.

If you shoot out their sails, then board you get decent xp and more loot. You definitely get more loot boarding though

Also, a Dhow with full speed upgrades will be in boarding range after 2-4 full sails. That's my goto at this point, ship combat does nothing for more me after the first playthrough.

If you want proof, my first playthrough I sank Bounty - Biakara and missed out on this item, which did not drop: https://pillarsofete...he_Midwood_Stag

In a subsequent playthrough I boarded that bounty and looted the unique pike. 

Edited by PIP-Clownboy, 20 May 2018 - 06:53 AM.

PIP-Clownboy

PIP-Clownboy

• Members
  • 396 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Junk is overkill. You can easily win every ship combats in the game with a Dhow if you want. Though by endgame you'll have more than enough coin to buy all the ships anyways, so it's preference.

PangaeaACDC

PangaeaACDC

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 361 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

Thanks for that random reddit thread, my in game experience doesn't agree.  If there is reduced loot it is obscenely minimal.  The Crew exp on the other hand is much much higher if you sink.  Like twice the exp.  Also once you have a real ship with a real crew, it is actually faster to sink.

If you shoot out their sails, then board you get decent xp and more loot. You definitely get more loot boarding though

Also, a Dhow with full speed upgrades will be in boarding range after 2-4 full sails. That's my goto at this point, ship combat does nothing for more me after the first playthrough.

If you want proof, my first playthrough I sank Bounty - Biakara and missed out on this item, which did not drop: https://pillarsofete...he_Midwood_Stag

I have that Pike and have done ship-to-ship combat for all ships so far except one early game, so must have got that from loot while sinking the ship.

Can see you would get more weapons and armour loot from boarding, but maybe less food and such items? At some point I'm sure people will do a side-by-side comparison. But you do get more XP and levels from sinking them, which is quite handy too.

The loot is really a non-factor though, so people should do what they prefer. I happen to prefer the ship-to-ship combat, and I see others prefer boarding. It's great that both options are viable.

I haven't boarded a merchant ship so not sure what loot you get then, but I've sunk quite a few, and you get heaps upon heaps of cannonballs, medical supplies and the like. 40-50 cannonballs is not rare. Doesn't cost a lot either ofc, but it's nice to get them for 'free'. Just wish they didn't overflow, causing me to lose so many.

1TTFFSSE

1TTFFSSE

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 527 posts

Dhow is the nicest bang per buck ship so just go with that and put the money into upgrading weapons/ armor and ship parts. Later if you have more cash then you know what to do with buy the Junk. 

PIP-Clownboy

PIP-Clownboy

• Members
  • 396 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

But you do get more XP and levels from sinking them, which is quite handy too.

The loot is really a non-factor though, so people should do what they prefer. 

XP is also a non-factor and like I pointed out, you can shoot their sails and then board which results in enough xp to rank most crew to 3-4 stars in under a handful of battles. 

By endgame coin is meaningless, yes. But early game having an extra 30k by not investing in a junk is quite handy to equip choice kit. 

Edited by PIP-Clownboy, 20 May 2018 - 12:07 PM.

Parasol_Syndicate

Parasol_Syndicate

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 270 posts

I'm far from an expert on this topic, but I found the Dhow to be right at he sweet spot between speed, cost, and acceptable offense. 

Buy once, cry once, then get upgradin'.

Don't put a menagerie in your Dhow, though. It looks ridiculous and cramped. 

Casper

Casper

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

funny, figured that pike would float...

jomoroon

jomoroon

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 45 posts

anyone know what ship triumphs do. I cant see any visual change when its toggled either way

Jorian Drake

Jorian Drake

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2593 posts
A galleon is majestic and large, I played a lot of ship related games like the Port Royale series (avoid PR3 like hellfire) and would always pick a slow, but majestic galleon which can carry a lot more loot and crew over any other ship, any time, except if you offer a fantasy option of a flying ship or airship (I mean either fantasy magically flying ship, or actual airship)
  • illathid likes this

PangaeaACDC

PangaeaACDC

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 361 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

anyone know what ship triumphs do. I cant see any visual change when its toggled either way

They are visible on the actual ship. They are the small flags you see if moving the camera while the ship is docked in Neketaka, or if you move the camera up towards the sails somewhere while walking around on the ship deck. Don't have a screenshot of it handy, but on the Dhow for instance, they are on a rope from the front of the ship and diagonally towards a mast.

Nothing appears to change if you are in the ship UI and hit the toggle, though. Same as the ship name really.

• Skazz likes this

PangaeaACDC

PangaeaACDC

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 361 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

A little addendum to the above, here is a screenshot with some triumphs on a Dhow.

Attached File  Triumps.jpg   75.83KB   8 downloads

• Parasol_Syndicate and Baltic like this

fgalkin

fgalkin

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 226 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Personally, I'd be uncomfortable manning something called "the junk".

Call it by the un-mangled "chuán,"  then

• Skazz likes this

ThacoBell

ThacoBell

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 165 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

Personally, I'd be uncomfortable manning something called "the junk".

Call it by the un-mangled "chuán,"  then

All the pirates of Deadfire will learn to fear my Junk!

omgFIREBALLS

omgFIREBALLS

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 880 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

A little addendum to the above, here is a screenshot with some triumphs on a Dhow.

attachicon.gifTriumps.jpg

Hahahaha. Okay, so you don't lose reputation for attacking ships. I tried to justify this with dead men tell no tales. However, this assumes that all the following keep perfectly quiet:

1) Every bounty hunter who asks you to sink a ship.

2) Your crew.

3) Your companions - some of whom are heavily biased towards factions.

And on top of all this, you are now PARADING THE TRIUMPHS IN THE DOCKS? Some people have asked if they could make all the factions unite. Perhaps they could - against the Watcher :D

• PangaeaACDC likes this

Casper

Casper

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

attachicon.gifTriumps.jpg

Hahahaha. Okay, so you don't lose reputation for attacking ships. I tried to justify this with dead men tell no tales. However, this assumes that all the following keep perfectly quiet:

1) Every bounty hunter who asks you to sink a ship.

2) Your crew.

3) Your companions - some of whom are heavily biased towards factions.

And on top of all this, you are now PARADING THE TRIUMPHS IN THE DOCKS? Some people have asked if they could make all the factions unite. Perhaps they could - against the Watcher :D

iirc, those are legitimate bounties... meaning that it's perfectly legal to attack said ships if you're a legitimate privateer (which in most cases you are, working as an agent for figures in authority, in some cases with official documents even saying so).

if anyone threw a hissy-fit over your actions, they'd likely be seen as supporting criminal activity. though, that doesn't explain any of the other ships you might sink that aren't bounties.

• omgFIREBALLS, Skazz and ThacoBell like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users