I'm level 12, and have yet to learn the ship-to-ship combat system. I usually avoid other ships, and when confronted just board directyl. However it costs so much to do so, in terms of repair and injury, so I'm thinking maybe the ship combat is a better way.

My question: I'm unsure if I need to invest in a bigger ship, or if it's enough to simple upgrade my own? I have 50.000 money, and some of the ships cost all of that.

Will my own small ship do just fine, or is it expected to get a bigger one at some point?

You can beat every ship in the game as is with just your sloop and four imperial long guns. Just throw on some semi-decent hull/sails and you are set. As long as your crew members are sufficiently leveled, you should come out on top by spamming in-combat repairs, barring unlucky rolls.

I bought a galleon and I like it. It might be more worth it to upgrade your equpement rather than buy barren ship - you need to outfit it as well. Bigger ship is also more expensive to run. Try ship2ship combat with your current ship and see if you need an upgrade. With better understanding of ship combat you will also be also to better pick a ship best to your liking.

I'm not very good at the ship combat and only started winning battles with less injuries / damage than ramming once I'd got hold of a galleon, and even then I didn't get the system really. Like I'd look at the cannons and it would say 40% chance to hit. I'd reduce distance, but the distance displayed stayed the same, now suddenly the hit chance was 90%, but I'd still miss a lot of the time.

nvAeseu.png

I'm gonna try to simply get into range and then board, via the battle-system. I wasn't aware I could do that, and it sounds like it give a lot less damage and injuries that way.

Thanks for all the answers.

You can beat every ship in the game as is with just your sloop and four imperial long guns. Just throw on some semi-decent hull/sails and you are set. As long as your crew members are sufficiently leveled, you should come out on top by spamming in-combat repairs, barring unlucky rolls.

Good luck.  There is at least one ship I have encountered in game that can easily land hits outside it's optimum range, and can do very high damage per salvo.  You will be unlikely to beat it with a sloop, I don't care how good your crew is or what upgrades you have.  You can ram it, but it's crew is also level 15, so I hope you are pretty darn far in the game.

Yes the sloop played right, with a good crew, good upgrades, and good guns, can beat "most" ship encounters.  That said, you will take a long time per fight doing it that way, assuming you even win every time, you might not because there are a small amount of legit nasty ships out there.  Meanwhile I sit on my junk, close to 400 give or take, fire two salvos, and i win.  No I don't care what the other ship is, two salvo's I win.  I won ship battles against Galleons with upgraded hulls in 135 hp in less than 2 minutes. 

Ask the guy with two imperial long guns per side how long his ship battles take? 

Yes it costs a lot to get the ship, and all the upgrades, but trust me, it makes ship combat insanely faster.  Also, what else are you spending it on?  Yes, there are cool items in a lot of shops, but most of them aren't as good as what you can loot, or you can also loot them somewhere else.  Additionally, farther you get in the game easier it is to make money, I have cleared some dungeon maps where every mob was dropping exceptional gear and I sold the stuff for over 20k from that one dungeon only.

• Like 3

It's safer to board a ship by starting the battle and advancing very close, then boarding when the option pops up. You'll rarely take much damage that way, and you don't have to bother upgrading your ship. You get a bit more loot by boarding, but your crew gains more exp by sinking ships. You can easily get crew exp through storms and random events, so boarding is better even if it wasn't faster.

If you want to annihilate enemy ships with overwhelming firepower buy the junk and slap on 10 double bronzers. Dhow is probably the best all-rounder ship, Voyager is the fastest, and Galleon is the tankiest. I used the default ship during my 1st playthrough and defeated every ship on the map, so it doesn't really matter what you choose.

• Like 1

Good luck.  There is at least one ship I have encountered in game that can easily land hits outside it's optimum range, and can do very high damage per salvo.  You will be unlikely to beat it with a sloop, I don't care how good your crew is or what upgrades you have.  You can ram it, but it's crew is also level 15, so I hope you are pretty darn far in the game.

Yes the sloop played right, with a good crew, good upgrades, and good guns, can beat "most" ship encounters.  That said, you will take a long time per fight doing it that way, assuming you even win every time, you might not because there are a small amount of legit nasty ships out there.  Meanwhile I sit on my junk, close to 400 give or take, fire two salvos, and i win.  No I don't care what the other ship is, two salvo's I win.  I won ship battles against Galleons with upgraded hulls in 135 hp in less than 2 minutes. 

Ask the guy with two imperial long guns per side how long his ship battles take? 

Yes it costs a lot to get the ship, and all the upgrades, but trust me, it makes ship combat insanely faster.  Also, what else are you spending it on?  Yes, there are cool items in a lot of shops, but most of them aren't as good as what you can loot, or you can also loot them somewhere else.  Additionally, farther you get in the game easier it is to make money, I have cleared some dungeon maps where every mob was dropping exceptional gear and I sold the stuff for over 20k from that one dungeon only.

Yeah, I'm not an expect, but while you can use the lower end ships, it's going to be very slow and painful with them. With a junk and the double cannons ( forget the names) you just move close up and start firing. Pretty much take a galleon down with two volleys. Much faster and for me, quite enjoyable.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

I bought a Voyager first because it's the fastest ship, I liked that for going exploring for the first time. The Voyager also is the only ship that can shoot facing forward, while being the hardest to hit.

Later I upgraded to the Junk, with all the ship upgrades it's a swimming fortress and an adequate home for my crew.

Personally, I'd be uncomfortable manning something called "the junk".

Therefore I named it 'Conqueror' :yes:

But... but... that only makes it worse! :wacko:

The junk conqueror, what's not to like? :biggrin:

"Captain's log, 12 Tarprima 2823 AI. The Huana natives of Somefarplace have surrendered in awe after witnessing the captain's Junk."

• Like 10

I bought a Junk and named it "Caed Nua", in honor of what was lost.

I find it a bit sad that the stewart doesn't get any new lines, ever. Why put her into the game at all for just one dialogue at the very beginning, when her role in the plot (buying a ship salvaging a few things from the rubble of the castle) makes more sense for a person with arms and legs anyways?

Edited by M4xw0lf
  • Like 7

I find it a bit sad that the stewart doesn't get any new lines, ever.

That super bothered me. Having no dialogue with her and Vela is bleh.

I find it a bit sad that the stewart doesn't get any new lines, ever.

She doesn't? That IS sad.

Not in the 40 hours I've played. Of course I haven't advanced the main plot very far, but I have no reason to assume this will change anything.