Official Characters and Romance Thread (Spoiler Version) Part Two

any news on the patch ?

I wanna play so baaaaaaaaad.....

But with messed up dialogues and stuff..Urghhhhh....

• Like 1
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

any news on the patch ?

I wanna play so baaaaaaaaad.....

But with messed up dialogues and stuff..Urghhhhh....

I wish there was! I keep losing my own battle of wills, dipping my toes back in and then realizing "nope... still broken" ;(

Edit: Maybe Aloth's right... after all repeating the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome is apparently a sign of something  :biggrin:

Edited by Noctoi

Edit: Maybe Aloth's right... after all repeating the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome is apparently a sign of something  :biggrin:

Getting good at something?

I'm also waiting for "fixed" companion stuff before replaying (I did finish the game once), but I got other games to keep me occupied until early June (that's when 1.1 is planned to release).

I'm not even checking the datamined companion stuff on youtube. I prefer getting that stuff in-game.

­

Edited by morhilane

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

She's part of him if he kept her, and he should have accepted her as such by now.

He merely tolerates her, if you nudge him in this direction, nothing more. He is certainly annoyed, when Eder brings her out to chat. 

And there's this:

Watcher: I'm surprised you managed Iselmyr that long.

Aloth: We've come to an arrangement of sorts.

Iselmyr: Aye, he lets me in on the bashing, and I leave him the jawing.

Aloth: For the most part, anyhow. (He sighs)

I get it that you are peeved with him, but this is starting to sound awfully a lot like nitpicking.

Edited by CaptainBiscuit
  • Like 4

The system is definitely bugged. In my first play-through, Serafen was strangely un-opinionated (all zeros with everyone except for the Watcher) despite of having constant positive reactions to, say, Eder and Tekehu and being in the party almost all the time. Second play-through, exactly the same sequence and even before the bad poetry lady loop +2 Tekehu, +1 Xoti.

And if we're speaking about Concelhaut, Nemnok and Aloth at the same time now, I suggest Obs make him into the floating pet for the next game and give us three pet slots. It would be such a  perfect -- if a little cacophonous -- unholy trinity. "You bad captain, hope your ship sinks, bow to Nemnok!" "Stop carrying eggs, stop flirting with the shark man, oh and I killed all your pets!" "Stop goofing around, stop being self-confident, stop...just stop having fun!!!!"

Aloth's versions would just be "sighs through his nose" and "rolls his eyes".

On another unrelated note, Aloth's personality in Deadfire is flawed, and if you like it, that's fine, but it doesn't mean people who don't, "don't understand him". His dispositions make no sense. He's supposed to be pro kith autonomy, but admires zealots and people who do dubious things simply because they are told to, at the same time he apparently has no opinion on slavery and complains about Tekehu being irresponsible, but doesn't like it when he is responsible, because then he's too traditional, which is bad while being religious or nationalistic is not, unless it's Tekehu doing it. So at the end of the day, he's either broken or supposed to be obnoxious/hypocritical, which arguably considering his Iselmyr aspect, might be the case. I could go on but I can't be bothered, it's not like it hasn't already been said.

• Like 1

nvAeseu.png

Well, while Aloth is my favourite Character I had an honest character and was trying to be as nice as possible so it was easy to get him to 2+. But it was just as easy to lose points because I can never resist  smartass replies! Sometimes when I looked at the disposition and saw I lost points with him again I was wondering why because I never noticed him disapproving of..well most I said. (And I never can get his romance because Fishboy jumps me at the first oppurtunity and I cant say no! He's just so blue and irresistible and kinda cute in a naive way)

But the one who annoyed me to no end was Xoti. While everyone was hating on my blueboy they seemed to worship the ground beneath her feet. Like literally minutes after I recruited her she had already +2 with Eder and like 1+ with Aloth. How does she do that? Like she gets + points for exisiting while I had to fight my way through quests! If I hadnt so much moral I would have been afraid of my crew trying to overthrow me to crown her to their new and only goddess.  ;(  So yeah, the whole game I was like stop making moves at my companions woman..in the end I decided to just not use her anymore to save myself and the innocence of all my companions. (Well not in Fishboys case but he was already mine in that playthrough so hands off!  :getlost:)

Xoti is so well liked in the party it makes me wonder if I'm the crazy one. I think the only one she doesn't have a +2 with is Pallegina. Aloth likes her because "Mah duty!", Tekehu likes her because she is religious, Maia likes her because provincial, Serafen likes her because impassionated, and I'm not even sure what the heck is the deal with Eder since he keeps bitching at her during their banter but even he has her at +2. It's like a reversal from how the player community views her (so far she seems to be the most hated companion).

And the best part is, she only likes Maia and Eder back. For others she is either -1 or 0. 

• Like 3

Anyone else kind of tempted to turn Xoti into a Harvester so they can be the most popular girl in the party? (and for that Threshing lantern aura... too good)

• Like 1

Aloth massages his temples, shaking his head.

Xoti is so well liked in the party it makes me wonder if I'm the crazy one. I think the only one she doesn't have a +2 with is Pallegina. Aloth likes her because "Mah duty!", Tekehu likes her because she is religious, Maia likes her because provincial, Serafen likes her because impassionated, and I'm not even sure what the heck is the deal with Eder since he keeps bitching at her during their banter but even he has her at +2. It's like a reversal from how the player community views her (so far she seems to be the most hated companion).

And the best part is, she only likes Maia and Eder back. For others she is either -1 or 0. 

My Eder told her he doesn't want to speak to her and had a talk with me about her annoying him, but has her at +2 xD

• Like 1

nvAeseu.png

My Eder told her he doesn't want to speak to her and had a talk with me about her annoying him, but has her at +2 xD

And softens up and has normal banter later.

I think people read too much into dispositions though, they're really weird between companions and don't really reflect how they seem to interact with actual dialogue.

I think people read too much into dispositions though, they're really weird between companions and don't really reflect how they seem to interact with actual dialogue.

But they actually start arguing with low enough disposition, and you have to settle the matters between them. That Xoti vs Pallegina scene that used to trigger too early (btw have they fixed it?) is one of a few. Pallegina can have a fight with Tekehu, Tekehu picks a fight with Maia (they do kinda make up later in both cases), and those are the only ones I personally know about. There might be more. It's the banter that doesn't fit the rest of their interaction. 

But they actually start arguing with low enough disposition, and you have to settle the matters between them. That Xoti vs Pallegina scene that used to trigger too early (btw have they fixed it?) is one of a few. Pallegina can have a fight with Tekehu, Tekehu picks a fight with Maia (they do kinda make up later in both cases), and those are the only ones I personally know about. There might be more. It's the banter that doesn't fit the rest of their interaction. 

I don't think it's fixed. It happened to me instantly after recruiting Pallegina and was pretty ridiculous as a result. Also, Xoti threatens to leave but then doesn't xD

• Like 1

nvAeseu.png

For the record, I like Xoti...but I tend to like unhinged companions.

Which also means Edér is the companion I find the most boring (doesn't mean I hate him).

• Like 2

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Finished Modwyr's quest again, this time giving her back to her former owner. Hearing her saying thank you is pretty touching to me. But damn it why can't I just invite that lady to live on my ship so they can be together and I don't have to lose the sword. Just let her be a sidekick.

Come to think of it, there is a bunch of times I was thinking "hey why don't you just come to live on my ship?", like that little kid in Queen's Berth who is watching the show. Or that family that want to leave Deadfire but don't have enough money.

Also Maia talks to me three times about her relationship with Xoti, pretty sure it's bugged.

Edited by jf8350143

Nah, I like Xoti too, even though I have no idea why. Maybe her neediness makes my big sister instincts kick in. But she has lots of character flaws, and I find it puzzling that so many companions love her to bits. Hell, even Nemnok likes her. 

Modwyr has basically the same personality as the psychotic toaster from New Vegas's "Old World Blues" DLC, with a touch of Muggy and a dash of one of the Switches. Was so happy when her storyline was finished and I didn't have to listen to her screeching anymore.

Nah, I like Xoti too, even though I have no idea why. Maybe her neediness makes my big sister instincts kick in. But she has lots of character flaws, and I find it puzzling that so many companions love her to bits. Hell, even Nemnok likes her. 

I think Xoti suffers from Liara/Leliana syndrome. Sometimes the characters end up "too special" because the writers get carried away. Her dispositions with the party members make no sense and make others come out as hypocritical, and she even has additional epilogues in terms of relationships with other companions (Maia, Eder). Nobody else gets that much attention, not even returning companions.

I don't mind, but I'd rather all companions were treated equally. Because different characters resonate with different people.

• Like 5
Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

I think Xoti suffers from Liara/Leliana syndrome. Sometimes the characters end up "too special" because the writers get carried away. Her dispositions with the party members make no sense and make others come out as hypocritical, and she even has additional epilogues in terms of relationships with other companions (Maia, Eder). Nobody else gets that much attention, not even returning companions.

I don't mind, but I'd rather all companions were treated equally. Because different characters resonate with different people.

Honestly, i would happily trade Xoti away to have pretty much ANY of the sidekicks as actual companions.

Is that weird?

• Like 2

Honestly, i would happily trade Xoti away to have pretty much ANY of the sidekicks as actual companions.

Is that weird?

Nah, I'd trade her for Ydwin in a heartbeat, it would have been cool to have a fampyr animancer pale elf. Or Fassina, but I think with her scowling and Vailian background she would be too similar to Pallegina. Rekke is okay, but he is too.... idk out of nowhere literally and has no connection to the story.

• Like 1
Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

I think Xoti suffers from Liara/Leliana syndrome. Sometimes the characters end up "too special" because the writers get carried away. Nobody else gets that much attention, not even returning companions.

I think this character archetype is intentional (notice Liara and Xoti are intended to be the poster girl romance option for straight male players and also kind of fit the "manic pixie dream girl" trope)

Because I am a female as well though, manic pixie dream girl characters just piss me off! In a fantasy game I want to be the center of attention for once damn it.

• Like 2

Aloth massages his temples, shaking his head.

Haha fair enough.  :grin:

I don't mind the archetype, there is room for every character archetype here and the more different ones the merrier. Different characters resonate with different people.

Also its not like the Watcher doesn't get attention. There is plenty, so much that people complain that the game is all about sexual innuendos now lol

I would just vote for all characters receiving similar treatments be it male or female, sexy or ugly. 

• Like 2