Official Characters and Romance Thread (Spoiler Version) Part Two

If only I could get his approval over 0 without ruining my character's personality even more than I already have ...

Just use the unity console: https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/2

It will not break anything and his dialogues will immediately trigger at 50 (i think) and 150 points, the reverse if you want rivalmance.

Does rivalmance even go anywhere? For me it was just angry smooch followed by "No time for that, maybe later" -- "Okay then". Or you need to be extra boring to qualify? 

Anyway, here's how to get Aloth to -2 without even trying:

Beeline to Neketaka from Port Maje, beeline to Tekehu, flattering him and encouraging irresponsibility whenever possible, that should net you a -1. Beeline to the bordello, talk to the bartender, support Tekehu all the time. Go upstairs, hire every employee (tip: the bad poetry lady has a conversation loop that gives you infinite diplomacy and positive points with Serafen and Xoti). Voila, -2.

Have to say, not a fan of this new Aloth and he's making me to retroactively dislike old Aloth, as I found out going back to PoE1. Now when I know he was probably eyerolling and sighing all the time in PoE1 as well but I didn't have the means to notice that.  :getlost:  Kudos to artist for the portrait, though. Didn't like it at first, but it captures new Aloth's essence perfectly

The "Always judging you so you don't enjoy your trip" Aloth.

Unlike

You know it's coming

Serafen.

Edited by Zeitzbach

Does rivalmance even go anywhere? For me it was just angry smooch followed by "No time for that, maybe later" -- "Okay then". Or you need to be extra boring to qualify? 

Anyway, here's how to get Aloth to -2 without even trying:

Beeline to Neketaka from Port Maje, beeline to Tekehu, flattering him and encouraging irresponsibility whenever possible, that should net you a -1. Beeline to the bordello, talk to the bartender, support Tekehu all the time. Go upstairs, hire every employee (tip: the bad poetry lady has a conversation loop that gives you infinite diplomacy and positive points with Serafen and Xoti). Voila, -2.

Have to say, not a fan of this new Aloth and he's making me to retroactively dislike old Aloth, as I found out going back to PoE1. Now when I know he was probably eyerolling and sighing all the time in PoE1 as well but I didn't have the means to notice that.  :getlost:  Kudos to artist for the portrait, though. Didn't like it at first, but it captures new Aloth's essence perfectly.

Yeah seriously. I am so annoyed by Aloth it is the single thing about the game that sticks out for me as bad. IDK if they made him like that on purpose or not, but in either case it's irritating xD I can cope with bugs and various nonsense, but why they had to turn him into this shallow, passive aggressive, stuck up, judgy, uptight hypocrite that tries to control you via his negative feelings towards others is totally beyond me. At one point you can even ask him about Tekehu, and he promises it "won't be a problem" but promtly continues to make it one.

So this dude who lied to you and infiltrated your party in POE1, and who you might well have totally forgiven and told he's your equal when he fessed up, who stole the animancer who checked him out's research and you let him, who you caught in a lie again in Deadfire and covered up for him, is so superficial he judges people negatively on account of whether they crack jokes, don't take everything super seriously and say the odd self confident thing, or give 2 hoots about their culture (as opposed to caring whether they have their hearts in the right place), or positively depending upon whether their actions are purely driven by some sense of duty he may even suggest is misguided himself, and above all judges you on account of your interactions with said people instead of basing his opinion on something like that you have history and you stuck up for him through thick and thin? Plus if you left Iselmyr, she keeps popping out and making him look even more hypocritical. Amusingly I cracked every joke in the book in my last pt and encouraged Tekehu whenever possible, and still got +1 with Aloth eventually (although I did reload and redo the tavern scene with Tek w/o Aloth in my party to avoid the -1). My current char, who was supposed to romance Aloth, is iredeemably stuck at 0 even after finishing his personal quest (which also bugged out for me as the middle part never triggered) and in spite of reloading every time he visibly eyerolled at something, and trying mostly to avoid convo options that set him off. If it weren't for his voice actor, my stubborn nature and old time's sake, I'd either not recruit him at all or on purpose piss him off. He seems to have been wriiten with a main character in mind who'd never met him before, or one who told him he was only tolerated for being marginally useful on POE1. Even then, he'd be an idiot, but at least it wouldn't matter as much.

• Like 2

nvAeseu.png

My Aloth was perfectly fine in my playthrough. Never judged me except maybe one time I picked a boasting dialogue choice. Never said anything against what I was doing.

Seems to be me that some people are just annoyed that Aloth isn't into the type of character they are role-playing. That's the whole point of the relationship system.

• Like 11

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Aloth reminds me of this:

Morrigan_Disapproves.jpg

He'd be like:

I14hhOom.jpg

I do hope they fix his bugs though.

Morrigan is nothing like as bad as he is xD I wonder if his portrait means they did design him to be like that? Cos as someone said above, he can't really look like more of a grumpy git xD

My Aloth was perfectly fine in my playthrough. Never judged me except maybe one time I picked a boasting dialogue choice. Never said anything against what I was doing.

Seems to be me that some people are just annoyed that Aloth isn't into the type of character they are role-playing. That's the whole point of the relationship system.

I personally don't think the point of a relationship system is to design characters in order to appeal to specific people, especially when said people are hypocritical. That's extremely contrived imo. Sure I can make an honest, diplomatic character that hates tradition yet loves duty (?), and never tries to avoid conflict by bluffing, lying or stealing but I don't think that character would want to be in a relationship with Aloth of all people.

However, the fact there are people who have no problems gaining his approval suggests that he's not actually broken, so I'm just going to write him off and stop bothering.

Edited by Slotharingia
  • Like 1

nvAeseu.png

Morrigan is nothing like as bad as he is xD I wonder if his portrait means they did design him to be like that? Cos as someone said above, he can't really look like more of a grumpy git xD

Morrgian was hated in DAO for the very same reasons - some people found her an intolerable bitch, because she disapproved of many things. "Morrigan disapproves" even became a meme. And DAO also had this stupid approval system. I hate it with a passion, personally. I'd rather companions judge me not by the number of times I cracked a joke but by my meaningful actions in the world.

And Aloth's sullen face sure does indicate his overly serious no-nonsense attitude, the portrait is spot on. Guy needs to stop being so hard on himself and loosen up a bit once in a while, jeez  :rolleyes: He should spend more time in a luminous bathhouse, I think  :p

Personally, I like both Morrigan and Aloth, but these approval systems just go overboard sometimes and misrepresent characters.

Btw, what do you, guys, suggest to swap his conflicting dispositions with? I think if he's anti-Leaden Key Stewardship should be replaced by pro-Progressive and if he's Pro-Leaden Key Autonomy should be replaced by pro-Skullduggery (shady). Also, he and Serafen has fewest number of dispositions, maybe one extra positive should be added.

Edited by Aramintai
  • Like 6

Well, DAO also had this stupid approval system too. I hate it with a passion, personally. I'd rather companions judge me not by the number of times I cracked a joke but by my meaningful actions in the world. And his sullen face sure does indicate his overly serious no-nonsense attitude, the portrait is spot on. Guy needs to stop being so hard on himself and loosen up a bit once in a while, jeez  :rolleyes: He should spend more time in a luminous bathhouse, I think  :p

Btw, what do you, guys, suggest to swap conflicting dispositions with? I think if he's anti-Leaden Key Stewardship should be replaced by pro-Progressive and if he's Pro-Leaden Key Autonomy should be replaced by pro-Skullduggery (shady). Also, he and Serafen has fewest number of dispositions, maybe one extra positive should be added.

Yeah it does, but in DAO it's also pretty easy to predict what people will object to and Morrigan in particular is transparent. Plus if you can't be bothered to switch out your party to stop them moaning or arrange your choices around them, you can bribe them with gifts. OFC that makes them come across as superficial, but still xD I personally liked the DA2 system the most, where characters could remain loyal to you and love you *in spite of* disagreeing with you on some things, because your relationship with them is essentially deeper than agreeing on everything and they can accept their view might not be right or the only one; but it seems a lot of people, especially those who only play a game once, found the rivalry system confusing.

As for Aloth, I personally think he should always be pro skullduggery since he makes use of it himself in both games, and you can rogue subclass him. Shouldn't he be wordly? Anti leaden key, I'd say anti tradition, anti religion, pro autonomy; and pro leaden key, pretty much the opposite. That's possibly where the problem lies because it's too complicated, tooo many variables, and combined with his POE1 history with the watcher being potentially good or bad, Iselmyr or no, it creates this hypocritical, shallow persona that hates or at best tolerates you in a lot of cases.

• Like 3

nvAeseu.png

I honestly don't see what is the big deal with Aloth taking animancer's notes on him. And while I don't condone his omitting him being the Leaden Key agent, it's not like he didn't pull his weight or, er, see the errors of the Leaden Key ways and decide to come clean in the end. 

• Like 2

Adding skulduggery as a positive trait and fixing the autonomy/stewardship thing seems like the way to go. If it were me, I'd replace his anti-tradition thing with something else too, because I don't think that one makes much sense on a pro-Key path. Too bad we won't see the next patch until early June.

I loved Morrigan, but I couldn't take her anywhere. :grin:

• Like 4

I honestly don't see what is the big deal with Aloth taking animancer's notes on him. And while I don't condone his omitting him being the Leaden Key agent, it's not like he didn't pull his weight or, er, see the errors of the Leaden Key ways and decide to come clean in the end. 

The thing with the animancer's notes or him lying when you meet him in Deadfire is indeed not a big deal, but nor is it when or if your Watcher does similar things to achieve certain goals, but it's more of a big deal than what someone says in banter for a laugh, especially considering he's doing it himself if he has Iselmyr. Being a Leaden Key agent in 1 really is a big deal and if your Watcher didn't kick up a fuss about it because they've grown to value him as a friend, they ought to have a pretty decent relationship going that's undeserving of being neutral or even negative based on petty stuff that doesn't matter.

• Like 1

nvAeseu.png

especially considering he's doing it himself if he has Iselmyr

Uh, no? If he has Iselmyr, then it's Iselmyr doing it, not him.

but it's more of a big deal than what someone says in banter for a laugh

It's not like he disapproves of every joke, more of what he considers being irresponsible. And as I said before, I didn't lose his approval, despite my character being a smartass pretty much all the time. Didn't gain it either, though.

Being a Leaden Key agent in 1 really is a big deal and if your Watcher didn't kick up a fuss about it because they've grown to value him as a friend, they ought to have a pretty decent relationship going that's undeserving of being neutral or even negative based on petty stuff that doesn't matter.

I agree with you on this, but I think it's a problem with relationship system itself and not with Aloth per se. Personally, I'm going to wait for the patch, before I draw any conclusions. 

• Like 2

Uh, no? If he has Iselmyr, then it's Iselmyr doing it, not him.

She's part of him if he kept her, and he should have accepted her as such by now.

I also just read that if you kick him out after he admits to being a Leaden Key agent,

he commits suicide (in POE1),

which imo makes an even stronger case for the bond the Watcher and Aloth should have if you were nice about it, as it clearly meant a lot to him.

• Like 1

nvAeseu.png

Adding skulduggery as a positive trait and fixing the autonomy/stewardship thing seems like the way to go. If it were me, I'd replace his anti-tradition thing with something else too, because I don't think that one makes much sense on a pro-Key path. Too bad we won't see the next patch until early June.

I loved Morrigan, but I couldn't take her anywhere. :grin:

I think he is supposed to be pro-tradition on a pro-Leaden Key, and anti-tradition on anti-Leaden Key. If you think about it, it makes sense since anti-Leaden Key would be trying to dismantle an organization that is hiding secrets of the gods, and pro- would be keeping this organization and hence keeping the secrets from coming out=tradition.

(loved Morrigan too, and always kept rotating her with someone else because of disapproval)

It's not like he disapproves of every joke, more of what he considers being irresponsible. And as I said before, I didn't lose his approval, despite my character being a smartass pretty much all the time. Didn't gain it either, though.

Yeah this. If you get the hang of it you can manipulate conversations without bringing your character ooc. The system is imperfect and a bit of a hassle, but if this means having companion relationships vs not having them at all, I'd go with this one.

Edited by Aridea
  • Like 4
Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

Well, DAO also had this stupid approval system too. I hate it with a passion, personally. I'd rather companions judge me not by the number of times I cracked a joke but by my meaningful actions in the world. And his sullen face sure does indicate his overly serious no-nonsense attitude, the portrait is spot on. Guy needs to stop being so hard on himself and loosen up a bit once in a while, jeez  :rolleyes: He should spend more time in a luminous bathhouse, I think  :p

Btw, what do you, guys, suggest to swap conflicting dispositions with? I think if he's anti-Leaden Key Stewardship should be replaced by pro-Progressive and if he's Pro-Leaden Key Autonomy should be replaced by pro-Skullduggery (shady). Also, he and Serafen has fewest number of dispositions, maybe one extra positive should be added.

Yeah it does, but in DAO it's also pretty easy to predict what people will object to and Morrigan in particular is transparent. Plus if you can't be bothered to switch out your party to stop them moaning or arrange your choices around them, you can bribe them with gifts. OFC that makes them come across as superficial, but still xD I personally liked the DA2 system the most, where characters could remain loyal to you and love you *in spite of* disagreeing with you on some things, because your relationship with them is essentially deeper than agreeing on everything and they can accept their view might not be right or the only one; but it seems a lot of people, especially those who only play a game once, found the rivalry system confusing.

As for Aloth, I personally think he should always be pro skullduggery since he makes use of it himself in both games, and you can rogue subclass him. Shouldn't he be wordly? Anti leaden key, I'd say anti tradition, anti religion, pro autonomy; and pro leaden key, pretty much the opposite. That's possibly where the problem lies because it's too complicated, tooo many variables, and combined with his POE1 history with the watcher being potentially good or bad, Iselmyr or no, it creates this hypocritical, shallow persona that hates or at best tolerates you in a lot of cases.

Unfortunately the PoE2 system reminds me of DA2 in a not-positive way, in that companions are more like mouthpieces for factions than individuals. I was reminded while playing of having to endure Anders and Fenris constantly harping on their viewpoints which I felt was artifically keyed to the friendship/rivalry mechanic. I get the same feeling here.

While I do think we should wait for a patch (or a few) and see how Aloth behaves after the relationship system is fixed, the whole "Aloth rolls his eyes" thing is already becoming a meme for a reason. A lot of people are experiencing this problem specifically with Aloth, and I doubt they all play one single type of character. He simply dislikes so many things that it is difficult to please him.

Some of it is obviously due to the bugs, but even when those are fixed, Aloth giving you the "You're becoming like Thaos!" lecture for endorsing harmless local traditions a few times will still be there. Aloth giving Xoti his approval for being super religious (because dutiful=religious in her case) despite having a huge rant about the gods and their lies in the first game, will still be there... Xoti approving of Maia shooting that ranga in the head will probably still be there, too. The problem isn't even with Aloth, really, it's that they scripted these reactions poorly, and in many situations it makes absolutely no sense. It simply more glaring in Aloth's case than it is with the rest of the companions, making him come off as a boring hypocritical git as a result. 

• Like 6

I normally just lurk on forums and never really get into discussions, but your guys' talk about Aloth is giving me Kaidan flashbacks.

people either loved or hated him.

those who loved him actually talked to him, despite thinking his first conversation was boring af.

those who hated him decided he's not worth taking the time past that initial conversation and either killed him on Virmire and that was the end of it; or wished they could've killed him along with Ashley, AND THEN, in ME3 they were shocked how much Bioware changed him, when, in fact, he changed little. he was a character that didn't need a change bc he reached that point before meeting Shepard.

and it's the same with Aloth now. people who think he's now a boring judgmental stuck-up who disapproves of everything and everyone and their brother apparently didn't understand his personality in PoE1 at all.

long story short: he was very reserved in PoE1.

one, bc he had quite a few secrets he had to keep from you. Iselmyr (at the beginning), being involved with Leaden Key, knowing more than he let on, so he had to be careful what he says.

two, bc he was obviously not used to being around people. even if you didn't judge him he still needed to get used to that first. that takes time and Iselmyr wasn't really helping (nor was Eder really, wanting her around more than Aloth).

and two leads to three: 5 years passed only between both games, PLUS all that time you traveled together in the first game. he got used to you. so, he's less reserved = more open about things he doesn't like, and now he actually shows that more often (tho I gotta admit I don't like the simple "XYZ rolls their eyes" interjections, I'd much rather have comments similar to the ones in PoE1; but considering you can have 5 people at the same time all of them commenting on every singe thing every time just to get approval system going would get annoying real fast).

and you can add four to the list: game is bugged af.

additionally, for those who are concerned about him disapproving of you lying - just bc he lies doesn't mean he condones it. lying himself and hating when other people lie don't contradict each other.

also this. very much. I (for once lmao) made a good character (benevolent + honest) and that later worked perfectly in PoE2 with Aloth. people seem to want him to like their characters just bc they didn't kick his lower back for lying 5 years ago.

and I like this "approval" system. in ME I could be a complete pos and the kindest people on the ship would still love me just bc I'm Shepard bc there was no approval system. in DAO you could cheat the system with gifts. pointless. here you either play YOUR character and deal with the fact some companions you love don't like you; or you make everyone love you and have a character with no personality.

• Like 5

Funny, how dutiful=religious registers as good for him, but religious=traditional doesn't register at all. If anything, everything religious is also traditional. Any time you mention to Xoti or anybody else in her vicinity that gods are made up, or try to scientifically explain things you'll see her equivalent of "rolling eyes". I can understand Xoti being stubborn about it, because she's a religious nut. But I don't understand why Aloth, who definitely isn't religious and who wants progress for kith, sees religious backwards nuts as simply dutiful. 

Anyway, yeah, devs really should revise all reactions companions have in dialogues as some don't make any sense at all given their dispositions. And something really should be done about Aloth's illogical dispositions specifically.

• Like 8

I can understand Xoti being stubborn about it, because she's a religious nut. But I don't understand why Aloth, who definitely isn't religious and who wants progress for kith, sees religious backwards nuts as simply dutiful. 

And it's not just him approving in conversations because she triggers his "dutiful" disposition. I've been listening to the party banter on youtube, and he actually admits that he admires Xoti because she is so dedicated to her faith despite a lot of her superiors being agaisnt it. Like wut??? Aloth, buddy, last time we talked in Sun in Shadow you absolutely hated the gods and the people who would spread lies about them. I can understand having a measure of respect for someone who is firm in their beliefs even when you don't agree with the beliefs themselves. But Xoti isn't just strong in her faith, she is bordering on fanatical and trying to shove it down other people's throat on some occasions, and yet Aloth is downright praising her.

I don't know, maybe it's pro-Leaden Key Aloth banter, but since he always has "dutiful" tag regardless of his situation with the Leaden Key, I'm not sure what to think. 

• Like 4

I can understand Xoti being stubborn about it, because she's a religious nut. But I don't understand why Aloth, who definitely isn't religious and who wants progress for kith, sees religious backwards nuts as simply dutiful. 

And it's not just him approving in conversations because she triggers his "dutiful" disposition. I've been listening to the party banter on youtube, and he actually admits that he admires Xoti because she is so dedicated to her faith despite a lot of her superiors being agaisnt it. Like wut??? Aloth, buddy, last time we talked in Sun in Shadow you absolutely hated the gods and the people who would spread lies about them. I can understand having a measure of respect for someone who is firm in their beliefs even when you don't agree with the beliefs themselves. But Xoti isn't just strong in her faith, she is bordering on fanatical and trying to shove it down other people's throat on some occasions, and yet Aloth is downright praising her.

I don't know, maybe it's pro-Leaden Key Aloth banter, but since he always has "dutiful" tag regardless of his situation with the Leaden Key, I'm not sure what to think. 

Honestly, i think Xoti is actually some sort of mind-****ing cipher a la Grieving Mother, just instead of making herself seem unnoticed, she makes everyone like her for some bloody reason.

Hell, even Concelhaut and Nemnok actually like her (Concelhaut calling out how she has 'great potential' - not exactly what you want to hear a Lich say to one of your companions and Nemnok keeps complaining how Xoti deserves a better captain than the Watcher!).

The more i think about it, the less i trust Xoti  :blink:

• Like 1

Hell, even Concelhaut and Nemnok actually like her (Concelhaut calling out how she has 'great potential' 

I think he refers to her crazy dark side. Concelhaut is a villain, after all.

• Like 1

also this. very much. I (for once lmao) made a good character (benevolent + honest) and that later worked perfectly in PoE2 with Aloth. 

My character was honest and benevolent too. Guess what? Aloth was the only companion she ever hit -1 with. I had to use that Dunnage exploit to get to +1. Meanwhile Serafen who is a bloody pirate was an instant +2. 

Just because you are not experiencing this problem doesn't mean it's not there. 

Edited by Yria
  • Like 4

Honestly, i think Xoti is actually some sort of mind-****ing cipher a la Grieving Mother, just instead of making herself seem unnoticed, she makes everyone like her for some bloody reason.

Hell, even Concelhaut and Nemnok actually like her (Concelhaut calling out how she has 'great potential' - not exactly what you want to hear a Lich say to one of your companions and Nemnok keeps complaining how Xoti deserves a better captain than the Watcher!).

The more i think about it, the less i trust Xoti  :blink:

Concelhaut probably sense the crazy harvester possibility for her personality. That or he's being obnoxious. Quite a few characters can be quite rejecting towards Xoti and the watcher can properly tell her off for suddenly going evangelical at Pallegina.

The system is definitely bugged. In my first play-through, Serafen was strangely un-opinionated (all zeros with everyone except for the Watcher) despite of having constant positive reactions to, say, Eder and Tekehu and being in the party almost all the time. Second play-through, exactly the same sequence and even before the bad poetry lady loop +2 Tekehu, +1 Xoti.

And if we're speaking about Concelhaut, Nemnok and Aloth at the same time now, I suggest Obs make him into the floating pet for the next game and give us three pet slots. It would be such a  perfect -- if a little cacophonous -- unholy trinity. "You bad captain, hope your ship sinks, bow to Nemnok!" "Stop carrying eggs, stop flirting with the shark man, oh and I killed all your pets!" "Stop goofing around, stop being self-confident, stop...just stop having fun!!!!"

• Like 4

***SNIP***

So this dude who lied to you and infiltrated your party in POE1, and who you might well have totally forgiven and told he's your equal when he fessed up, who stole the animancer who checked him out's research and you let him, who you caught in a lie again in Deadfire and covered up for him, is so superficial he judges people negatively on account of whether they crack jokes, don't take everything super seriously and say the odd self confident thing, or give 2 hoots about their culture (as opposed to caring whether they have their hearts in the right place), or positively depending upon whether their actions are purely driven by some sense of duty he may even suggest is misguided himself, and above all judges you on account of your interactions with said people instead of basing his opinion on something like that you have history and you stuck up for him through thick and thin? Plus if you left Iselmyr, she keeps popping out and making him look even more hypocritical. Amusingly I cracked every joke in the book in my last pt and encouraged Tekehu whenever possible, and still got +1 with Aloth eventually (although I did reload and redo the tavern scene with Tek w/o Aloth in my party to avoid the -1). My current char, who was supposed to romance Aloth, is iredeemably stuck at 0 even after finishing his personal quest (which also bugged out for me as the middle part never triggered) and in spite of reloading every time he visibly eyerolled at something, and trying mostly to avoid convo options that set him off. If it weren't for his voice actor, my stubborn nature and old time's sake, I'd either not recruit him at all or on purpose piss him off. He seems to have been wriiten with a main character in mind who'd never met him before, or one who told him he was only tolerated for being marginally useful on POE1. Even then, he'd be an idiot, but at least it wouldn't matter as much.

Ugh, I know what you mean. I can't wait to try out that mod that was posted earlier! 

I get the feeling that Aloth's writer saw the Eder lines about the Watcher and Eder essentially hazing Aloth to the point where Iselmyr presented, then laughing at him when he got angry, and assumed that was canon. My Watcher NEVER did that! I suppressed Iselmyr, and if I had any semblance of opportunity, verbally slapped Eder down for being an ass! I certainly never encouraged Eder's twattery towards Aloth OR Hiravias (whom he also treated like ****, now that I"m listening for it). My poor Watcher stuck up for Aloth, supported him, forgave him, and generally went out of her way to help him, and he never once said he didn't like her ****ty sense of humor before... now it's all ~Sigh~ ~Pft~ ~UUUUGH~ ~Eyeroll~  :(

Edited by Noctoi
  • Like 1