Official Characters and Romance Thread (Spoiler Version) Part Two

These poke lines don't trigger for me in game though. Very rarely they would say one single annoyed line that is always the same, while in the linked video they all have plenty of responces.

My absolute favorite from the two games is still Durance's idle "If this is a contest of wills, Watcher... I submit".

Edited by Yria
  • Like 1

The lines companions say when you poke them too many times are hilarious (Tekehu, lol). And I just love that they have different lines for romance as well as for negative/positive approval, it seems. Also romanced Aloth lines when idling are adorable.

That's very cute, but somehow those various poking comments are not firing for me. Other comments do though.

I don't get the poke lines much either and I actually tried to generate them. It's like they said something for every 10 pokes.

Is there a setting or something for how often that triggers?

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Serafen and Eder are probably the only two char in this game that stays 0 or green with everyone. Really hard to make them mad. I think there's only like, what, 1 companion racist quote being Eder joking about having Orlan pets?

Meanwhile, Aloth is the only one to find Serafen in the red for enjoying life. HOW DARE HE?!

I made a Bleak Walker and got - 1 with Eder before even getting to Port Maje, so your main char can piss him off by being an a33hole. As for Aloth, he's in general a hypocritial, superficial killjoy in this game. I can't for the life of me figure out why they made him so obnoxious and judgemental. It's the worst part of the game for me *weeps*.
  • Like 1

nvAeseu.png

Serafen and Eder are probably the only two char in this game that stays 0 or green with everyone. Really hard to make them mad. I think there's only like, what, 1 companion racist quote being Eder joking about having Orlan pets?

Meanwhile, Aloth is the only one to find Serafen in the red for enjoying life. HOW DARE HE?!

I made a Bleak Walker and got - 1 with Eder before even getting to Port Maje, so your main char can piss him off by being an a33hole. As for Aloth, he's in general a hypocritial, superficial killjoy in this game. I can't for the life of me figure out why they made him so obnoxious and judgemental. It's the worst part of the game for me *weeps*.

Probably to kill his popularity so we don't have to deal with him in PoE 3.

But Serafen? Must have.

• Like 1

But Serafen? Must have.

I prefer Durance, when it comes to furry animal companions.

Well, devs sure did it for some people, though unintentionally. He's bugged and his conflicting dispositions will have to be changed somehow, either by removal or swap for some other disposition. But that doesn't help with the first impression at all, sizable part of the audience doesn't replay games.

• Like 1

Also romanced Aloth lines when idling are adorable.

Aloth really wants to get the Watcher into that bathhouse with him. Thank you, animancy :thumbsup:

Yea, he just can't stop appreciating the place, the hypocrite :)

Aloth really wants to get the Watcher into that bathhouse with him. Thank you, animancy :thumbsup:

He sure does xD I mean, in addition to that idle line, he has another one, when you enter the bathhouse, something like: "Once this is all over, I'd like to spend more time here together". 

He sure does xD I mean, in addition to that idle line, he has another one, when you enter the bathhouse, something like: "Once this is all over, I'd like to spend more time here together".

If only I could get his approval over 0 without ruining my character's personality even more than I already have ...
  • Like 2

nvAeseu.png

If only I could get his approval over 0 without ruining my character's personality even more than I already have ...

Well, if you don't mind exploiting the game a bit, you can gain his approval (and Pallegina's) by taking the quest in Radiant Court, Dunnage (the one where you need to find people for the play): you'll be asked to free a mage who's working in the King's Coffin. Ask the tavern keeper, if you could settle her debt (Aloth and Pallegina will both approve). The tavern keeper will refuse. Leave conversation. Enter conversation and ask again, if you could settle her debt (Aloth and Pallegina will approve again). Leave conversation. Rinse, repeat.

Edited by CaptainBiscuit
  • Like 2

I don't get the poke lines much either and I actually tried to generate them. It's like they said something for every 10 pokes.

Is there a setting or something for how often that triggers?

I think it's simply bugged (again). I recall having the same problem with companions barks in the first game: they didn't react to my poking until some patch that came very, very late, somewhere around the release of White March.

• Like 2

And yeah, I forgot to mention: once I got his approval to 2 by those not entirely honest means, it didn't go down at all for the rest 2/3 of the game. And I only picked the answers that, in my opinion, would suit my Watcher best (that included being constant smartass, for example). So... go figure. 

Well, if you don't mind exploiting the game a bit, you can gain his approval (and Pallegina's) by taking the quest in Radiant Court, Dunnage (the one where you need to find people for the play): you'll be asked to free a mage who's working in the King's Coffin. Ask the tavern keeper, if you could settle her debt (Aloth and Pallegina will both approve). The tavern keeper will refuse. Leave conversation. Enter conversation and ask again, if you could settle her debt (Aloth and Pallegina will approve again). Leave conversation. Rinse, repeat.

Someone else suggested that, but alas, I did that quest quite a long time ago.

nvAeseu.png

Just use the unity console: https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/2

It will not break anything and his dialogues will immediately trigger at 50 (i think) and 150 points, the reverse if you want rivalmance.

Edited by Aridea
  • Like 1
Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

It will not break anything and his dialogues will immediately trigger at 50 (i think) and 150 points, the reverse if you want rivalmance.

Maybe next time. I'm incredibly stubborn and want to be able to do it without cheating, so I'll just get more and more bitter and twisted about Aloth xD I do start doing stuff like that after I've played a game several times though.

nvAeseu.png

Why not just get other people to 2 first and only travel with Aloth for awhile. Your companions that you leave at boat won't judge the choices you make so you can stick to someone like Tekehu who is fine with you being a boring sponge as long as you don't judge the ugly blue people.

Edited by Zeitzbach
  • Like 3

Why not just get other people to 2 first and only travel with Aloth for awhile. Your companions that you leave at boat won't judge the choices you make so you can stick to someone like Tekehu who is fine with you being a boring sponge as long as you don't judge the ugly blue people.

Not sure what you're saying, but I *have* been been boring in convos and also reloaded the game every time Aloth disapproved visibly. Tek, Sera and Eder are all at 2.

nvAeseu.png

I'm not sure why but I found that hilarious. Takehu isnt ugly!  :dancing:

• Like 3

I'll preface by saying I liked all of the PoE1 companions, though I was puzzled that not even one of them stayed in Caed Nua. (Something I said? Korgrak's BO?)

I haven't yet finished PoE2, but so far I'm not liking the developments with companions at all. The approvals system as a minigame is distracting. I much prefer when we learned the companions' perspectives through the occasional comment. It seems to me that the system is gamed to make contrasts between companions, which makes them artifically polarized. The constant flashing of yays and nays on the screen is annoying. It seems artificial and offputting to me that Aloth only wanted to talk to my character after she said something he agreed with, and not because of what they went through together.

Speaking of annoying... the number of new companions I want to slap is remarkably high. Perhaps related to the above? I wanted to drop kick Xoti into Magran's Maw for all her ridiculous squealing. Where is grumpy Durance when you really need him. I completed Tekehu's romance (though not epilogue yet) and found it shallow and the dialogue cringe-worthy, I'm sorry to say. I like romance content in RPGs, but it rarely seems to pay off well. Serafen does get points for being funny.

I do like the exploration and so far like the main quest alright, but companions are a highlight of these games for me so it's been a disappointing run thus far. I will try to keep an open mind as I finish out the game.

• Like 3

Does rivalmance even go anywhere? For me it was just angry smooch followed by "No time for that, maybe later" -- "Okay then". Or you need to be extra boring to qualify? 

Anyway, here's how to get Aloth to -2 without even trying:

Beeline to Neketaka from Port Maje, beeline to Tekehu, flattering him and encouraging irresponsibility whenever possible, that should net you a -1. Beeline to the bordello, talk to the bartender, support Tekehu all the time. Go upstairs, hire every employee (tip: the bad poetry lady has a conversation loop that gives you infinite diplomacy and positive points with Serafen and Xoti). Voila, -2.

Have to say, not a fan of this new Aloth and he's making me to retroactively dislike old Aloth, as I found out going back to PoE1. Now when I know he was probably eyerolling and sighing all the time in PoE1 as well but I didn't have the means to notice that.  :getlost:  Kudos to artist for the portrait, though. Didn't like it at first, but it captures new Aloth's essence perfectly

Edited by bugarup
  • Like 3