Official Characters and Romance Thread (Spoiler Version) Part Two

Although it sounds bittersweet that the relationship either ends, or takes on a long distance quality via Xoti and Maia. I hope there's at least a nod to them in the next game. 

Well, they all do promise to meet again someday. Right now my only gripe is with the Watcher who suddenly decides to ditch them and "go home" (where exactly?). I liked it here in the Deadfire, I don't want to go anywhere until the next game, thank you very much.

Well, they all do promise to meet again someday. Right now my only gripe is with the Watcher who suddenly decides to ditch them and "go home" (where exactly?). I liked it here in the Deadfire, I don't want to go anywhere until the next game, thank you very much.

The Watcher goes back to Dyrwood, apparently. Probably to see the ruins of Caed Nua.

The Watcher goes back to Dyrwood, apparently. Probably to see the ruins of Caed Nua.

Never even liked the place :getlost: Although if POE I slides are any indication (Narrator: "...a long journey looms ahead". Watcher: proceeds to lock themselves up in Caed Nua for 5 years), they will probably write it off anyway.

• Like 1

Never even liked the place :getlost: Although if POE I slides are any indication (Narrator: "...a long journey looms ahead". Watcher: proceeds to lock themselves up in Caed Nua for 5 years), they will probably write it off anyway.

Well, Caed Nua is like a few days of walking from Twin Elms.

That's a pretty long journey, if you ask me.

I couldn't be arsed to walk that far. Get me transport or let me die, damn it!

Well, I always took the "...a long journey looms ahead" part as "Since Thaos destroyed the shortcut and there is no going up that pit, you have to find another way out of Sun in Shadow".

Edited by CaptainBiscuit

if we going back to Drywood..

maybe we could meet old companions ? like the grieving mother ? 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

Well, I always took the "...a long journey looms ahead" part as "Since Thaos destroyed the shortcut and there is no going up that pit, you have to find another way out of Sun in Shadow".

But these words come after all other slides. If you are correct it would kind of read like "So after all of it was over, Eder joined a cult, Durance immolated himself, Kana sailed back to Rauatai, Sagani became an elder, Devil is rusting at the bottom of the ocean, and you have to find your way back to the bloody surface". In other words, really weird.

Not to mention that there is in fact a separate slide about you and your companions digging yourselves out exactly the way Thaos came.

But these words come after all other slides. If you are correct it would kind of read like "So after all of it was over, Eder joined a cult, Durance immolated himself, Kana sailed back to Rauatai, Sagani became an elder, Devil is rusting at the bottom of the ocean, and you have to find your way back to the bloody surface". In other words, really weird.

Not to mention that there is in fact a separate slide about you and your companions digging yourselves out exactly the way Thaos came.

If you kidnap Vela, the ending slide changes to this:

But at the moment, there was little to be done, and the matter would have to wait. A long journey loomed ahead, made no easier by your decision to bring an infant to Sun in Shadow.

Also note the "but at the moment" part, so it's not all that weird, actually. 

Edited by CaptainBiscuit

If you kidnap Vela, the ending slide changes to this:

But at the moment, there was little to be done, and the matter would have to wait. A long journey loomed ahead, made no easier by your decision to bring an infant to Sun in Shadow.

And if you don't finish WMII that slide will be replaced with the one where the Eyeless bring Caed Nua down on your head (obviously while you were there and not in Sun in Shadow). Also, iirc that "long journey" slide features the Watcher standing on a road outside Twin Elms, with or without Vela in their arms.

And, again, there is a separate slide about the Watcher getting some sleep and finding the way out along with the companions that comes in the very beginning of the sequence:

Exhausted, your consciousness slipping away, your last sight was of the machine, dark and dormant. Then your eyes closed, and sleep welcomed you at long last.

After coming to and searching for some time, you discovered the route Thaos used to enter Sun in Shadow, and embarked on a long and arduous ascent back to the surface.

You emerged in Teir Evron after days of tunneling through the rubble Thaos had left behind, and when you stepped into the daylight, you were faced with a different Dyrwood than the one you had left.

Although it sounds bittersweet that the relationship either ends, or takes on a long distance quality via Xoti and Maia. I hope there's at least a nod to them in the next game. 

The only reasoning I can think of is to check on the destruction of Caed Nua. I would have preferred to stay in the Deadfire as well, but I think at least returning to check on the ruins makes sense. We ruled that area for 5 years, and I vaguely recall that Berath said around 331(?) people under our care living within the keep and surrounding lands died. I was under  the impression that as soon as Eothas popped out of the ground and snatched a portion of soul that we were oblivious to the rest of what happened, having been tossed into the in-between. By the time we return to our bodies we're already out in Deadfire. So I can see (from my character's perspective) feeling the responsibility to at least go back to Caed Nua to survey the destruction.

...But I would have also returned to the Deadfire afterward.  :p My Watcher isn't from the Dyrwood, doesn't have a particular fondness for it, and has a love interest back in Deadfire. He also has the Drifter background, so sticking around in the Dyrwood definitely wouldn't be in character for him. But the Deadfire has the open sea, plenty of adventure to still be had, and the companion he's in a relationship with. I would have had him remain there until the next god drama dragged him away. So that's kinda disappointing we get stuck back out at the Dyrwood (presumably).  :sweat:

• Like 2

if we going back to Drywood..

maybe we could meet old companions ? like the grieving mother ?

When I finished the game, I took this Maia's ending slide "She looks forward to seeing her brother again. So does Ishiza." as a clue that Kana is coming back in a sequel (as does Maia, otherwise she can see him again). It only appears if you recruited Kana and that slide stand out among everything else because it's just her feelings and  "now" instead of "Maia was very happy to see Kana again once back home" which is how every other slides are written.

But outside the end with the Watcher starting the voyage back toward the Dyrwood, I'm not sure the next game is going to be there. But then this game had "teleportation" being invented so we might travel all over Eora anyway.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

To be honest I just took it as a placehoder, left intentionally open to say "Watcher's journey continues", without making any restrictions and having to justify that later in the next game.

For all we know "home" can be your culture - Aedyr, White that Wends, Ixamitl, even Deadfire could fit. 

PS: Dyrwood does have those giant pillars of Adra that were never used from what I remember. So with teleportation who knows... I don't think Dyrwood will be a major aread in the future, since we've already been there and there is nothing to explore. I'd assume it will be some new area.

PPS: If you talk to Sagani in POE1 she says Naasitaq is a large island in Deadfire Acrchipelago, close to White that Wends. Since one of the DLCs deals with Rymrgand, and technically White that Wends is his realm, do you think we might see one of those places? I'd have loved to visit either, even as a DLC. On the other hand it would slightly mirror White March with the snow/ice areas, so idk how feasible it is.

Edited by Aridea
Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

That's a good point about it being somewhat of a placeholder. I'm sure we'll be dragged off to another part of the world soon enough. And future advances with teleportation could make for an easier means to travel around. Maybe we'll be able to experience multiple regions via teleportation, instead of sticking to one area per game. 

I'd also like to see White that Wends. But I'm guilty of my character being a Pale Elf from there. :sweat: In all honesty, I hope this series continues on for several more games. I'm fascinated by the world it's set in. I can't remember the name of the island, but at one point I had to slip passed this giant to make it a small camp on the other side. The people there were part of some explorer's guild from the Living Lands. You could sit and speak with them about their adventures, and they had such interesting stories from there. I hope that one day we'll get to see all of Eora. 

• Like 2

That's a good point about it being somewhat of a placeholder. I'm sure we'll be dragged off to another part of the world soon enough. And future advances with teleportation could make for an easier means to travel around. Maybe we'll be able to experience multiple regions via teleportation, instead of sticking to one area per game. 

I'd also like to see White that Wends. But I'm guilty of my character being a Pale Elf from there. :sweat: In all honesty, I hope this series continues on for several more games. I'm fascinated by the world it's set in. I can't remember the name of the island, but at one point I had to slip passed this giant to make it a small camp on the other side. The people there were part of some explorer's guild from the Living Lands. You could sit and speak with them about their adventures, and they had such interesting stories from there. I hope that one day we'll get to see all of Eora. 

You should've fought the Eoten, instead of sneaking past them.

Probably the coolest unique quarterstaff is dropped there, if i recall correctly.

A broom.

• Like 1

To be honest I just took it as a placehoder, left intentionally open to say "Watcher's journey continues", without making any restrictions and having to justify that later in the next game.

For all we know "home" can be your culture - Aedyr, White that Wends, Ixamitl, even Deadfire could fit. 

At the start of POE1, you have a convo tied to your background, all the choices are a version of "I left that place because things got bad". I don't think the dev intended  "home" to mean anything else but the Dyrwood in the last slide.

Saying that, it doesn't mean a POE3 would be set there, the writers clearly have no issue moving characters thousands of miles.

The Watcher of Caed Nua is a Lord/Lady and rather well known now. They (might) have "friends" in a few nations that could call for help. They could be called all over Eora to helps with various things. Especially valuables. They could decide to do an expedition to wherever with all the gold they made while sailing around the Deadfire.

We could also see a different set of returning companions. So instead of Éder, Pallegina and Aloth we get Hiravias, Ydwin and Rekke.

• Like 1

You should've fought the Eoten, instead of sneaking past them.

Probably the coolest unique quarterstaff is dropped there, if i recall correctly.

A broom.

Well there's a Witch multiclass, obviously they needed a broom.

• Like 10

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Well there's a Witch multiclass, obviously they needed a broom.

Then you'd be giving Serafen this broom, I doubt he would appreciate it though.

That said I gave broom to Tekehu for a while, seemed fitting.

At the start of POE1, you have a convo tied to your background, all the choices are a version of "I left that place because things got bad". I don't think the dev intended  "home" to mean anything else but the Dyrwood in the last slide.

We could also see a different set of returning companions. So instead of Éder, Pallegina and Aloth we get Hiravias, Ydwin and Rekke.

Yeah but you can assume they needed an excuse for the Watcher to get out of their culture - things got bad so they had to leave. Doesn't mean you shouldn't come back. I am just saying this was left intentionally open. Home could be anything you would make it to be.

Perhaps. The decision to bring back Eder/Aloth/Pallegina was taken on the basis of what made sense. But I think anything would make sense if you think it through enough and write it well. So any companions could be brought back if the writers decided to develop their stories further. I am just voting for these three because they already were in the second game, so I'd love to see them in the third as well. Its always better to continue long-lasting relationships rather than introduce new ones. Part of what made Mass Effect so great (in my humble opinion) were relationships that span 3 games. Nothing was better than getting your ME1 squad back in ME3, it made the game more impactful, and it really did feel like you were reunited with your friends.

I'd also vote against sidekicks unless they made them full companions. But I am very biased. I would prefer less companions but more development for them - conversations, interjections, banters, quests, rather than a whole cast of useless paperdolls.

Edited by Aridea
  • Like 2
Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

Perhaps. The decision to bring back Eder/Aloth/Pallegina was taken on the basis of what made sense. But I think anything would make sense if you think it through enough and write it well. So any companions could be brought back if the writers decided to develop their stories further. I am just voting for these three because they already were in the second game, so I'd love to see them in the third as well. Its always better to continue long-lasting relationships rather than introduce new ones. Part of what made Mass Effect so great (in my humble opinion) were relationships that span 3 games. Nothing was better than getting your ME1 squad back in ME3, it made the game more impactful, and it really did feel like you were reunited with your friends.

I'd also vote against sidekicks unless they made them full companions. But I am very biased. I would prefer less companions but more development for them - conversations, interjections, banters, quests, rather than a whole cast of useless paperdolls.

I think it's more that Eder and Aloth were both pretty popular, and Pallegina was written by the lead dev >_>

• Like 2

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Could be. Whatever the reason my point is it would make sense if the writers decide it made sense. They are the creators of the world so they are free to do whatever. :)

• Like 1

Could be. Whatever the reason my point is it would make sense if the writers decide it made sense. They are the creators of the world so they are free to do whatever. :)

Like having Ymir dance with Aloth at the Wild Mare....no it doesn't happen (unless I missing something that would make me roll on th floor laughing).

• Like 1

Like having Ymir dance with Aloth at the Wild Mare....no it doesn't happen (unless I missing something that would make me roll on th floor laughing).

I'd pay extra to see that  :grin:

That conversation was adorable in itself though.

Alright, Xoti may not be as totally bugged as I thought at first after watching her dialogues on YouTube. It just takes quite a while for all the random banter to roll through to get her dialogue with the Watcher about what to do with Eder.

It also concerns all the other companions as well, as they all have these dialogues - first they randomly have banter with each other and then after most of it rolls out they have a dialogue that includes the Watcher. It can be a hate dialogue like in case of Xoti or Pallegina, or reconciliation dialogue like Pallegina and Tekehu, romance dialogue like Xoti and Maia, or friendly dialogue like Xoti or Serafen.

Mind that the banter itself is pretty buggy as it doesn't seem to take into account completed companions quests. For example, Xoti is still spouting apocalyptic drivel she sees in her dreams even if you help her empty her lantern. Also some ending slides (Xoti & Eder) don't seem to take into account those inter-companion dialogues but rather relationship values between companions. And those values are definitely looking buggy, just like for the Watcher - some raising to 2 way too fast, some sitting at 0 for the whole game even if two companions are always in the party.

So to make the banter roll faster just travel back and forth between areas in Neketaka, some of them are maybe main quest gated until later. Personally, I hate random banters, but at least it's not as bad as in DA:I - it took ages for all the banter between companions to occur there. And by not listening to it all you could miss extra dialogues with companions or whole romance thing between Bull and Dorian, just like here in POE2 between Xoti and Maia  :rolleyes:

Edited by Aramintai

It seems Maia-Xoti relationship miraculously triggered without any bugs in my game. They had a couple of cute banters where Maia called her "firefly", than Maia hit +2 with Xoti, and next time I talked to Xoti she started asking advice on how she should approach Maia. Then Xoti also reached +2 with Maia, and Maia came to me to talk about their relationship. Now I'm eating popcorn and waiting to see how it all plays out.

By the way, they also have some romance-specific lines in combat and such. If you hit Xoti Maia yells something like "Don't you dare to hurt my Firefly!". Or when you give Xoti a yellow item (I think), she asks if we could also get something nice for Maia.

Edited by Yria
  • Like 2

Thought I'd share it here:

The lines companions say when you poke them too many times are hilarious (Tekehu, lol). And I just love that they have different lines for romance as well as for negative/positive approval, it seems. Also romanced Aloth lines when idling are adorable.

• Like 1