Official Characters and Romance Thread (Spoiler Version) Part Two

The second time you see her on the roof there is a line where you can say to her: "You've been in my head since we first met" 

And she responds:

"Ah...ekera, but listen how the Watcher flatters me!" 

"I cannot plant a seed in untilled soil. Ekera, I want for there to be trust between us. The trading companies send spies to every corner of the mountain, I say there are places they cannot go."

But until the end of the game i saw no other similar line option even when playing FULL Huana faction  :shifty:

What do you think ?

I don't know Onekaza, can I? If you'll come with me, I'll happily show you my Junk, it's quite large and well kept but in definite need of a good polishing.

Also the captain's quarters are kind of snazzy.

Did you pick that from DA2 ? cose you just quoted a desire demon word by word !  :lol:

• Like 1
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

while the aboves points seem almost right...

why would berath do that though ? Isn't she the god of death? 

Life in death and death in life, innit?

The whole cyclical aspect of life and death, not just death. Just death of everything is more like Rymrgands thing, innit?

The whole cyclical aspect of life and death, not just death. Just death of everything is more like Rymrgands thing, innit?

wait a minute..isn't she the god of death only? where does it say she is death and life ? 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

wait a minute..isn't she the god of death only? where does it say she is death and life ? 

"Berath is depicted in the form of two semi-skeletal figures - one male, one female - Bewnen i Ankew and Ankew i Bewnen - literally, Life in Death and Death in Life in the Glanfathan tongue"

Literally from an in-game book about Berath. "The Many faces of Berath"

"Berath is the god that makes life end in death, and it is also the god that makes death end in life."

Edited by Juodas Varnas

"Berath is depicted in the form of two semi-skeletal figures - one male, one female - Bewnen i Ankew and Ankew i Bewnen - literally, Life in Death and Death in Life in the Glanfathan tongue"

life in death and death in life...what's that even mean ?! Confusing!  :huh:

weird when you pick berath you only get this : "Berath is the god of death, doors, and the wheel of reincarnation itself. Portrayed as either a genderless deity or twinned male and female incarnation, Berath seldom speaks with their followers. Their priests are expected to be rational and unemotional, treating death with a dispassionate dignity."

which seem to go 'Berath is about death! deaaaaaaath always death! 

Elderly Hive Dweller

weird when you pick berath you only get this : "Berath is the god of death, doors, and the wheel of reincarnation itself. Portrayed as either a genderless deity or twinned male and female incarnation, Berath seldom speaks with their followers. Their priests are expected to be rational and unemotional, treating death with a dispassionate dignity."

Honestly, it feels that both Berath and Eothas are a BIT redundant.

They both deal with life and death and the whole cyclical rebirth nonsense, the main difference being that Berath is life and death but MOOOOSTLY death and Eothas is life and death (death in the form of Gaun, i guess) but MOOOOOSTLY life.

They both deal with life and death and the whole cyclical rebirth nonsense, the main difference being that Berath is life and death but MOOOOSTLY death and Eothas is life and death (death in the form of Gaun, i guess) but MOOOOOSTLY life.

could Berath be Gaun ? 

Elderly Hive Dweller

Err...I'll do my best to explain this, I apologize in advance of it is unhelpful.

Berath is the god of cycles and death. Berath's portfolio would be concerned with the cycle of reincarnation (of which death must be a part) and therefore serves as the patron/matron of The Wheel. While this would tangentially involve "life" as a part of the cycle of death and reincarnation, Berath has very little, if anything, to do with life and is more focused on death and the cycle of reincarnation.

Eothas is the god of light and redemption, renewal and rebirth. Eothas' portfolio has very little to do with death and is more concerned with redeeming the wicked, renewing the decrepit and rebirth from death. Rebirth being both figurative and literal.

Guan, an aspect of Eothas, is concerned with death as simply a part of rebirth. While Berath would treat death is a cold inevitability and nothing more than a part of the cycle of reincarnation, Gaun would treat death as a thing not to be feared or dreaded but the prerequisite for rebirth from which redemption and renewal can arise.

While similar, they are different.

• Like 4

Err...I'll do my best to explain this, I apologize in advance of it is unhelpful.

Berath is the god of cycles and death. Berath's portfolio would be concerned with the cycle of reincarnation (of which death must be a part) and therefore serves as the patron/matron of The Wheel. While this would tangentially involve "life" as a part of the cycle of death and reincarnation, Berath has very little, if anything, to do with life and is more focused on death and the cycle of reincarnation.

Eothas is the god of light and redemption, renewal and rebirth. Eothas' portfolio has very little to do with death and is more concerned with redeeming the wicked, renewing the decrepit and rebirth from death. Rebirth being both figurative and literal.

Guan, an aspect of Eothas, is concerned with death as simply a part of rebirth. While Berath would treat death is a cold inevitability and nothing more than a part of the cycle of reincarnation, Gaun would treat death as a thing not to be feared or dreaded but the prerequisite for rebirth from which redemption and renewal can arise.

Basically

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueyLBbWPPQM

• Like 1

that almost make it look like Eotha would be stealing soul from berath and vice versa....

Thanx for explaining it more...I got a clearer idea of berath now .  :yes:

Elderly Hive Dweller

Something to keep in mind, the gods don't bother fixing the misconceptions of their followers. Example, Galawain has followers who believe he is the real god of war instead of Magran.

Eothas only talks about progress, hope and becoming something greater together. Gaun seems to be a fabrication of a subset his followers.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

I interpreted as a more covert thing:

1) the first initial Watchers comment is not a flattery, but mention of Queens cipher talk, during first meeting.

2) queen publicly responds to the “flattery” but responds in your head - trading companies can’t spy in your head, making it the safest way to communicate.

The second time you see her on the roof there is a line where you can say to her: "You've been in my head since we first met" 

She's a cipher who can talk telepathically  :rolleyes:

Some people are starting to see potential romances around every corner it seems.

She's a cipher who can talk telepathically  :rolleyes:

Some people are starting to see potential romances around every corner it seems.

and what's wrong with that ? Vromance are Great! 

Elderly Hive Dweller

Is there a way to romance the Queen ?  :huh:

The question was serious  :biggrin:

There is a line in the game where you can say something like: "You haunt my head since the first time we met"

And she responds something like "But listen how the Watcher flatters me!"

"I cannot plant a seed in a untilled soil. I want for there to be trust between is. The trading companies send spies at every corner of the mountain i say there are places they cannot go"

So i intrpreted that as "Gain my trust then we'll talk" but until the end of the game i saw no similar dialogue option even playing FULL Huana faction  :huh:

So basically... Grieving Mother is Berath's  St.Waidwen!

I wouldn't go as far as St. Waidwen, but probably very closely associated with Berath. The chimes on her wrists and birthing bell gave her away tbh. 

Edited by Aridea
Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

Is there a way to romance the Queen ?  :huh:

The question was serious  :biggrin:

There is a line in the game where you can say something like: "You haunt my head since the first time we met"

And she responds something like "But listen how the Watcher flatters me!"

"I cannot plant a seed in a untilled soil. I want for there to be trust between is. The trading companies send spies at every corner of the mountain i say there are places they cannot go"

So i intrpreted that as "Gain my trust then we'll talk" but until the end of the game i saw no similar dialogue option even playing FULL Huana faction  :huh:

I think there are some flirts with non-companion NPCs but no romances, so no. She did kinda mean "gain my trust then we'll talk" but she's looking for an ally, not a lover.

• Like 1

D'où tenez-vous qu'il y aura un Pillars of Eternity 3, au reste avec le même personnage principal, le Gardien ?

Le numéro 2 vient seulement de sortir (avec plein de défauts de mon point de vue, notamment à cause des compagnons).

Les seuls compagnons que j'apprécie sont Edèr, l'idiot au grand cœur qui vieillit (dans sa tête, vu qu'il n'a que 37 ans); Aloth, le beau gosse intelligent et renfermé, et ... euh... Rekke, le rigolo à l'accent tout aussi rigolo, même s'il n'est qu'un mercenaire sans apport à l'histoire.

J'avoue que mon opinion sur Pallegina et Maia est grandement influencée par les compagnies qu'elles représentent, et ce qu'elles font aux Huanas.

Xoti et Tekehu sont aussi agaçants et bruyants l'un que l'autre, et enfin, Serafen aime le pillage et toutes ces choses qui vont avec le banditisme (l'opposé de l'origine de son nom, seraphin...) .

_________

What make you think there will be a "Pillars of Eternity 3", and with the same main character (the Watcher) ?
The number 2 has just been released (with many defects from my point of view, especially because of the companions).

The only companions I appreciate are Edèr, the idiot with a big heart who is aging (in his head cause he is only 37); Aloth, the smart, well-mannered good-looking guy, and ... uh ... Rekke, the funny guy with the same funny accent, even if he's just a mercenary with no history.
I admit that my opinion of Pallegina and Maia is greatly influenced by the companies they represent, and what they do to the Huanas.
Xoti and Tekehu are as annoying and noisy as each other, and finally, Serafen likes pillage and all those things that go with banditry (the opposite of the origin of his name, seraphin).

Um did you finish the game? It's kinda obvious its set up at least as a trilogy with the same character.

Companions are fine, their main problems are in bugs which will be fixed in time, pretty much as everything else.

• Like 1
Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

Well, because Obsidian owns the Pillars IP, I imagine they'd want to keep it going as long as it remains profitable. I'm sure there are at least plans for where a third game would go, which I think is apparent from the ending of Deadfire. I'd be pretty disappointed if there was no continuation, since they just introduced a giant problem for Eora, and raised some big metaphysical questions, not to mention the idea of a whole new landmass and a monotheistic religion existing. I don't think it would need to be the same Watcher in a third game, but it easily could be. 

Also, Rekke is presently a missionary (but it sounds like he was something else before that maybe?).

Edited by marimo

Also, Rekke is presently a missionary (but it sounds like he was something else before that maybe?).

Yeah a bit of an odd background for someone with Barbarian/Fighter class.

Idk I am suddenly afraid they will go into polytheism vs monotheism with that new god that Rekke wanted to "teach" people about. Kind of follows how history went from paganism to the present state, colonization and advancement of technology, and progress vs old ways.

Had enough of gods, I'd rather it was focused more on the world trying to survive the new order of things, but I suppose you can't take religion out of it, especially where its ingrained so much into society as in Eora.

Edit: actually replaying the first game, maybe the third will be set in Aedyr/Readceras, or something close? There is a lot of lore about them, and to hear Durance talk... idk.

Edited by Aridea
  • Like 2

I'd expect to see clashes between the monotheists and polytheists but I'm hoping it's not just a 1:1 parallel to the Abrahamic religions. So far though, Pillars has borrowed ideas from real life religions without being a wholesale reskin of any of them, which has been nice. Hope it stays that way. 

• Like 2

Rekke's god could be one of the 11 we know, it's just that were he comes from the other gods were not worshiped/erased from public knowledge overtime and forgotten. It's not like everyone worships all the gods everywhere, but proximity to other cultures keeps the knowledge of the others alive.

That could also suggest another godly conspiracy where one of the gods is trying to get ride of all the others. That would actually bring some interesting elements in a plot to fix the Wheel instead of just having Rymrgand opposite it.

Pallegina will just roll her eyes if that happens though.

• Like 1

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.