Official Characters and Romance Thread (Spoiler Version) Part Two

Sometime, you don't need to be a super deep and complex character to be the best character. Serafen is like that one friend you won't mind hanging around and keeping in contact with every day because he makes your day a lot more pleasant.

It's kinda why we like Eder. He isn't exactly that complex. Everything with him is rather linear and dumb but we like him because he's hilarious and fun to be with, which is why he's an iconic now.

I would agree with you on that usually . Thats how Isabela was for me in DA2...when every dude in (save varric) was whining in each ear I had... :lol:

she saved my sanity and made me laugh and is the reason why DA2 is my favorite of all . 

and I really love laughing , I mean Jan Jansen in BG2  , even Jaheira sarcasm make me laugh and I love her for it...

But....Seraf...he really feel flat..and it doesnt help that his personal quest is about finding daddy that you can finish in 4 trip .  :shrugz:

While Serafen quests might be really short and simple, what really makes him stand out more (beside being a blue furry) is that he's the only one out of your entire companion list that treats the whole trip like a fun journey, not a serious quest with a grand objective in mind. Remaro was just there troubling his mind and after that, he doesn't really care anymore and just do what a friend would do, mess around with you.

On the trip around a certain swamp, he's the only one who would continue complaining while everyone is already acting all soldier-like trying to reach the end goal.

He's also the only one who constantly joke around that I'm going to get everyone killed while everyone acts all serious and try to come up with a proper answer.

And there are so many situations where you can go "SERAFEN! HELP!" and he just go "OKAY!" like this one occasion where he really does nothing but is there anyway as a special thing.

jr71Nmx.png

28IVMXj.png

So he does more than enough to remind you that Deadfire is a game that is a lot more light-hearted and you can have fun all you want.

treating everything as a joke and fun..and 'Don't be so uptight cap'tn ' ..is different from being just funny . 

I like to laugh , and I can take someone who is light hearted . But there are time when you better be seriouse and moppy cose the situation demande it .

I hate when some character crack a joke to 'break the ice , the tense atmosphere' . I'm like 'THEN LEAVE! Dont crack lame joke just cose you can't handle it!' . 

If Seraf doesnt care after we done his quest...WHY IN THE WORLD HE WAS MAKING ME RUSH LIKE IT BE THE END OF THE WORLD FOR HIM IF I DIDNT DO IT! ARGH!  :getlost:

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

The way he rush you do make sense because Remaro is also being hunted by another man and unless you tricked Malnaj, if the game is timed, you really are screwed but I guess they avoid that because people are already mad about Bearn timed rescue anyway.

And there's a reason why he never says anything in a situation too serious. I really don't think there's a situation where he really breaks the seriousness of the situation with an awkward joke as in majority of them, Serafen doesn't have a dialogue. Reloaded multiple time and even shot down the other companions with arquebus to try and force the dialogue.

Edited by Zeitzbach

Maia is great, love her character...when she's not talking about Rauatai. I get that she's a soldier and loves her country and thinks it can do anything and all but come on... I can wipe your citadel off the map solo Maia! :D

Her pro-Rauatai cheering does get a bit silly sometimes. I almost chocked on my tea when she told Biha in the Gullets that in Rauatai they will teach her how to do laundry properly or something like that. 

• Like 1

Maia is pretty cool. And she's Kana's sister. But Pallegina is my buddy from the first game, so I think they'll have to fight it out for Best Girl. After I get some popcorn to eat while I watch.

Isn't that what they do in this game? Well at least in my playthrough, they were just exchanging barbs each time they had banter.

I'm still annoyed that I lose one if I pick the other's faction...

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Maia is great, love her character...when she's not talking about Rauatai. I get that she's a soldier and loves her country and thinks it can do anything and all but come on... I can wipe your citadel off the map solo Maia! :D

Her pro-Rauatai cheering does get a bit silly sometimes. I almost chocked on my tea when she told Biha in the Gullets that in Rauatai they will teach her how to do laundry properly or something like that. 

Am I the only person who came to the conclusion that Maia had the social skill level of a goldfish? Even when there is no Rauatai in what she is saying, it rarely makes come off as proper for the situation.

• Like 2

Btw, guys, did you know that Ydwin technically is undead? With high enough metaphysics skill you can learn from her intro dialogue that she was studying reincarnation entropy and experimented on herself to uncouple her soul from the Wheel with a side effect - her soul uncoupled from her body. And now she craves for souls to sustain herself, so far only those from luminous adra and animals. But companions are suspicious of her soon to be wanting more.

Damn, it's too bad she's not a companion, she could have had a quest related to the main plot twist! Bummer  :ermm:

• Like 3

They wanted to make her a full companion as a stretch goal right? She would have been far more interesting than Xoti.

Also, her portrait has red eyes, and the only characters with red eyes in game are Fampyrs. I always wondered why that's the case. Now it makes sense :)

• Like 2
Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

Eh I did not mean romance in particular, more like an established friendship, where you already have some history with the character. Those will always be a priority to me. For the same reason I always keep Eder and Pallegina in the party, because they are friends to my char. For the same reason I kept Jaheira, Minsc and Imoen in BGII and then Sarevok in ToB, because history. (forgot Viconia, her too)

My cynical old soul stopped believing in love at first sight :grin:

Garus. He’s my Shepard’s soulmate. Never did the romance thing to any great degree, but he’s her rock. I cried actual tears when I saw “archangel” lol. Don’t care what the fight is like or if things would be easier with a different party comp. he’s always there <3

Watched Xoti and the Watcher dialogues:

Well, she's bugged as hell. I haven't seen half of these, she just jumped into Watcher's pants and that was it.

Wow, I just went through that video and there's a bunch of dialog that never came up for me. I hadn't realized how bugged Xoti was. Now I'm wondering who else (if not all of them) are bugged like that.  :unsure:

I have almost 40 hours in my current playthrough, but maybe I should just wait for future patches. I'm not one to rush back into games like these.  :sweat:

Pallegina's reactions to harmless expressions of faith remind me of angry internet atheists who are eager to remind everyone that DAE STUPID SKY FAIRY DOESN'T REAL.

I like her, but even if gods in Eora aren't really gods, she really should find some less obnoxious outlets for her disappointment.

Like I dunno, knitting.

Or maybe kayaking.

or make her baby sit all them pet we find along the way  :lol:

Edér would be jealous...

Haha! Until he’s able to differentiate between an Orlan and my Cosmic Cat, he’s forbidden from going NEAR my menagerie!

• Like 1

Wow, I just went through that video and there's a bunch of dialog that never came up for me. I hadn't realized how bugged Xoti was. Now I'm wondering who else (if not all of them) are bugged like that.  :unsure:

Her quest is also bugged and spoils the main plot prematurely:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/98186-xotis-quest-spoils-main-quest-spoiler/

Her quest is also bugged and spoils the main plot prematurely:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/98186-xotis-quest-spoils-main-quest-spoiler/

Yikes! Thankfully that didn't happen to me. 

Although I'm big on character interaction, and knowing that I've missed several conversations with Xoti makes me worried that I've missed out on the other companions as well.I think I might tuck this game back into my library until a later date.  :wacko:

• Like 1

We've met other intelligent, talkative undead, but she's the only one who's managed to remain... alive-looking. I agree, it would've been really interesting to talk to her more. I liked the character.

That's probably because she separated herself from the Wheel not so long ago. I'd wager given time and/or lack of essence to feed on she would degenerate as any other undead.

I have almost 40 hours in my current playthrough, but maybe I should just wait for future patches. I'm not one to rush back into games like these.  :sweat:

Thats insane, I had her for the first part of the game and barely scratched the surface with her dialogue, even though she gained 2 disposition pretty fast.

I wish the devs would speed the timer or something.

• Like 1
Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

Now I'm wondering who else (if not all of them) are bugged like that.  :unsure:

All of them.

The only convo I had with companions was their intro/game ending, personal quest content, Xoti outburst against Pallegina, Aloth's faction opinions and one Tek/Maia romance dialog (turned down). Edér "what to do with Xoti" triggered once when I was testing classes, but not on the character I finished the game with.

At least, they had some banter with each others, commented in some quests and upon entering areas. Otherwise they would have been super silent. I finished the game, but didn't do a completionist run because I knew early that I was going to wait for another patch.

Thats insane, I had her for the first part of the game and barely scratched the surface with her dialogue, even though she gained 2 disposition pretty fast.

I wish the devs would speed the timer or something.

Yeah, she's been in my party the entire time that I've played. Her romance with my Watcher unfortunately felt super rushed as well, although I know there were disposition bugs. But yeah, she seems to have the companion quest that you can finish the earliest, and with her falling for my Watcher so quickly, and with all that missing dialog from her.. she comes across as kinda empty. 

Although while we're on the topic: has Eder felt particular quiet/bugged with his dialog as well? Serafen and Aloth seem to have so much that they can discuss with you, but I haven't had any additional dialog options with Eder since we washed up on shore at the start. Perhaps it's just unique to Aloth, but I appreciated that I could ask his opinion on how he felt about the other factions. When slavers came up in the Principi and VTC, I just wanted to confront Pallegina with how could she be cool with that, but she didn't say a thing during that quest exchange. Part of me is like is it bugged, or am I just expecting too much from the game's characters.  :sweat:

Sorry this turned into a giant ramble. D:

@Morhilane: Oh geez, thanks for the heads up on that. Definitely makes sense on why there hasn't been much character exchange outside of some spare party banter. 

Edited by Seidhe
  • Like 1

I used an exploit to get enough positive approval with Aloth to unlock his romance, but then I found out that there is alternate romance dialogue if you have negative approval with him... kinda regretting it now, because the negative approval romance dialogue works a lot better for my Clever/Shady Watcher.  :unsure:

Rekke has kind of stolen my heart too. The way he asks you what you think of him... and his reaction if you say he's "fun"  :p

• Like 2

Aloth massages his temples, shaking his head.

Funnily Rekke has TOO many typos in his dialogue (the Aedyran one, not... whatever he is speaking in  :p ). Almost as if he was slapped in as an afterthought. Couldn't take him seriously after that.

Yeah, she's been in my party the entire time that I've played. Her romance with my Watcher unfortunately felt super rushed as well, although I know there were disposition bugs. But yeah, she seems to have the companion quest that you can finish the earliest, and with her falling for my Watcher so quickly, and with all that missing dialog from her.. she comes across as kinda empty. 

Although while we're on the topic: has Eder felt particular quiet/bugged with his dialog as well? Serafen and Aloth seem to have so much that they can discuss with you, but I haven't had any additional dialog options with Eder since we washed up on shore at the start. Perhaps it's just unique to Aloth, but I appreciated that I could ask his opinion on how he felt about the other factions. When slavers came up in the Principi and VTC, I just wanted to confront Pallegina with how could she be cool with that, but she didn't say a thing during that quest exchange. Part of me is like is it bugged, or am I just expecting too much from the game's characters.   :sweat:

Sorry this turned into a giant ramble. D:

@Morhilane: Oh geez, thanks for the heads up on that. Definitely makes sense on why there hasn't been much character exchange outside of some spare party banter. 

I was surprised I couldn't talk to Eder after his quest, ask how he felt, what he was going to do... All other companions seem to have some sort of conversation afterwards, but not him. A bug or intentional? If its intentional, it was a very strange decision... 

Edited by Aridea

I used an exploit to get enough positive approval with Aloth to unlock his romance, but then I found out that there is alternate romance dialogue if you have negative approval with him... kinda regretting it now, because the negative approval romance dialogue works a lot better for my Clever/Shady Watcher.  :unsure:

Rekke has kind of stolen my heart too. The way he asks you what you think of him... and his reaction if you say he's "fun"  :p

I had no idea you could romance a character with negative approval.  :o I wonder if this only applies to Aloth?

I was surprised I couldn't talk to Eder after his quest, ask how he felt, what he was going to do... All other companions seem to have some sort of conversation afterwards, but not him. A bug or intentional? If its intentional, it was a very strange decision... 

Mm, I'm hoping it's just a bug. I know you can only speak to party members to a certain extent, but from my experience it's been kinda lacking. On the bright side -- since I've now been made aware that I'm missing a large chunk of Xoti's dialog, and that the other companions are bugged, it looks like we have conversations to look forward to in the future at least. 

That's the only nice thing you can say to him there too. It's either "I hate you", "You're a pain in the ass", "I don't care a whit about you", or "You're fun." I wish there was more to him. I like him.

Edited by Tamyn
  • Like 2

That's the only nice thing you can say to him there too. It's either "I hate you", "You're a pain in the ass", "I don't care a whit about you", or "You're fun." I wish there was more to him. I like him.

Well, you can also tell him "you're useful" so that's quasi-nice I guess. I was expecting to be the most interested in Ydwin out of the sidekicks but I got charmed by Rekke. I hope we see more of him!

• Like 3