Official Characters and Romance Thread (Spoiler Version) Part Two

Sure... Sure...

But they give you a submarine.

That's a big plus.

Haha, I prefer to steal a Ghost Ship just because of the cool factor, and then dump the pirates to kill each other.

There really is no good answer when it comes to faction choice.

The pirates are outlaw. They just want the treasure and it gives them more power to do whatever they want in the future.

The Ruantai will just conquer everyone and rule with an iron fist like a dictator.

The Huana have the terrible caste system and like Tekehu may have wanted, Huana working together and discovering their own ways is the only way for them to truly move forward.

And Vailian treat souls like market goods. Won't be surprising if they start pricing giving birth to kids and unless you are rich, you are not allowed to have children. Animancy needs to be controlled so keeping them out of Ukaizo is needed.

As long as they keep fighting, each of them will have to discover new tricks and innovation which is how you will accelerate their growth in their own ways.

Despite their caste system I still feel like Huana are the ones who are closer to a remotely "good" faction. Its even represented by the companions. Tekehu is arguably the most honest and kind companion out of all of them. Maia cares only about RDC representatives, Pallegina only about Vailians, everyone else is irrelevant, and Tekehu is the only one who actually wants to help others, whether those are RDC, VTC, or others. 

I kinda thought it was representative, but maybe I am wrong.

The problem with their caste system is that the top are all abusing their power. When the Roparu are hungry, the top takes the food given to them to be distributed to the Roparu and just eat all of them. It's like a mix of Communism and Caste system.

You do it this way: go to the RDC before anyone else and refuse to assassinate the queen. They'll attack you. When you've killed them all, go to the palace and the queen will thank you for your aid and lend a few watershapers to help reach Ukaizo. There's no need to frame anyone.

Huh, self-defense. That's actually neat. And I find this turn of events much more agreeable that blowing up that powder house where every npc is guilt tripping you by saying stuff like "I need to write to my family" or "Yay I'm 4 weeks away from retirement" :p

Edited by CaptainBiscuit

The problem with their caste system is that the top are all abusing their power. When the Roparu are hungry, the top takes the food given to them to be distributed to the Roparu and just eat all of them. It's like a mix of Communism and Caste system.

Caste system is terrible. I've watched and read quite a few things about the Indian one - saddest part about it is that it is so tied with religion that even though it's officially banned, in reality it's still there influencing peoples lives.

You can't judge a nation by one naive young boy. There are good and bad people there as are anywhere.

Um who said I was? The fact that there are good and bad people everywhere is a given.

But sometimes in games the characters/companions are created to represent a particular faction not just by being with you but also by acting in a certain way closest to the "heart" of the faction, so to speak.

That is what I am trying to figure out with Tekehu. Whether he is just one naive boy trying to help others as best he can, or whether he represents the entire faction of Huana who, despite all their flaws, their castes, and other things, are actually relatively good at heart.

The huana system is falling to pieces because of so much intervention from all sides - pirates, RDC, Vailians. They don't have resources to fight or help their own people, which we can see by the Gullet. Not to say they are innocent of course. There is bureaucracy everywhere, and by no means am I defending them. Communistic approach is not sustainable. I am for progress, evolution, and learning to survive, and their constant talks about their gods make me cringe. But I feel like both Valians and RDC have lost their hearts somewhere down the road. Not even mentioning pirates in this case.

Edited by Aridea
Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

But I feel like both Valians and RDC have lost their hearts somewhere down the road. 

I think it's pretty safe to say by many real world examples that knowledge corrupts. Huana were living in their backward bubble for too long, but newcomers slowly but surely give them eyeopeners. Personally, I can't see them sustaining their sovereignty, never worked in the real world, at least not unscathed. 

And I just can't get the story of the Easter island out of my head when dealing with Huana.

Edited by Aramintai

But I feel like both Valians and RDC have lost their hearts somewhere down the road. 

I think it's pretty safe to say by many real world examples that knowledge corrupts. Huana were living in their backward bubble for too long, but newcomers slowly but surely give them eyeopeners. Personally, I can't see them sustaining their sovereignty, never worked in the real world, at least not unscathed. 

And I just can't get the story of the Easter island out of my head when dealing with Huana.

You are probably right. I just keep on thinking since this is a fantasy world then maybe, just maybe those islands can survive unscathed and keep the beauty that surrounds them, without RDC bringing their forts and cannons and Vailians mining the last bit of adra damaging the nature around them. But its idealistic wishful thinking, just the same as wishing everyone irl to try and get along with each other.

• Like 1
Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

You can't judge a nation by one naive young boy. There are good and bad people there as are anywhere.

Um who said I was? The fact that there are good and bad people everywhere is a given.

But sometimes in games the characters/companions are created to represent a particular faction not just by being with you but also by acting in a certain way closest to the "heart" of the faction, so to speak.

That is what I am trying to figure out with Tekehu. Whether he is just one naive boy trying to help others as best he can, or whether he represents the entire faction of Huana who, despite all their flaws, their castes, and other things, are actually relatively good at heart.

The huana system is falling to pieces because of so much intervention from all sides - pirates, RDC, Vailians. They don't have resources to fight or help their own people, which we can see by the Gullet. Not to say they are innocent of course. There is bureaucracy everywhere, and by no means am I defending them. Communistic approach is not sustainable. I am for progress, evolution, and learning to survive, and their constant talks about their gods make me cringe. But I feel like both Valians and RDC have lost their hearts somewhere down the road. Not even mentioning pirates in this case.

The only reason Tekehu can act the way he does is because he's up there with the Ranga on the caste system. He's considered the god gift as Ondra's child. Any rank below and he won't turn out to be this naive and carefree.

• Like 1

Technically Vailians are mining luminous adra like crazy, which arguably isn't the best idea for the world either.

That's not all they will do in their ending - they will also take a world leading role in animancy research and study of Ukaizo. Castol's ending is especially promising, Alvari is too ruthless though.

• Like 1

This discussion is drifting further and further off-topic - can we take it to one of the faction threads?

Okay, on topic

#AlothBestCompanion

#MaiaBestGirl 

:grin:

• Like 1

I'm kind of afraid of what they'll do to Pallegina if they bring her back in the next game. Poor woman has been honored, banished, re-hired, re-banished, lost at sea, sent back to the Dyrwood, etc., etc... :blink:

with any chance..she lose that stick up her ass...on the way to POE3!  :lol:

hahaha...that part 'lost at seas , sent back to the drywood...' remind me of what I wrote in another thread 'There was a paladina with soaking breech , squish squish she goes down the hall... :lol:

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

Knowing Obsidian and our luck, it will be a bigger stick.

• Like 1

Sometime, you don't need to be a super deep and complex character to be the best character. Serafen is like that one friend you won't mind hanging around and keeping in contact with every day because he makes your day a lot more pleasant.

It's kinda why we like Eder. He isn't exactly that complex. Everything with him is rather linear and dumb but we like him because he's hilarious and fun to be with, which is why he's an iconic now.

I would agree with you on that usually . Thats how Isabela was for me in DA2...when every dude in (save varric) was whining in each ear I had... :lol:

she saved my sanity and made me laugh and is the reason why DA2 is my favorite of all . 

and I really love laughing , I mean Jan Jansen in BG2  , even Jaheira sarcasm make me laugh and I love her for it...

But....Seraf...he really feel flat..and it doesnt help that his personal quest is about finding daddy that you can finish in 4 trip .  :shrugz:

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

Knowing Obsidian and our luck, it will be a bigger stick.

buahahahahaha.,,,god almost made me choke !  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Elderly Hive Dweller

Maia is pretty cool. And she's Kana's sister. But Pallegina is my buddy from the first game, so I think they'll have to fight it out for Best Girl. After I get some popcorn to eat while I watch.

couldn't stand Kana . But I do like Maia . 

#Xotimostcutest

#MaiaisGarrusbestcompanionandshooter 

:dancing:  

Elderly Hive Dweller

Watched Xoti and the Watcher dialogues:

Well, she's bugged as hell. I haven't seen half of these, she just jumped into Watcher's pants and that was it.

not gonna watch it...waiting for them to fix it . But yeah , she is bugged . Most of her dialogue are missing..same for Pallagina (and maybe even everyone) . 

Exemple : when pallagina insult the god and Xoti blow in her face..never had what actually Pallagina said . Just got Xoti dialogue . 

• Like 1

Elderly Hive Dweller

Looks like Aloth is the only responsible adult out there :D Kinda meh though, kid sounds largely neglected. But then again, never been a fan of kidnapping her and killing Lliras in the first place.

Yea, it's very disappointing. Good thing I have my canon import save without her, I think she'll be better off being raised as a tribe leader.

• Like 2

#Xotimostcutest

Maia is great, love her character...when she's not talking about Rauatai. I get that she's a soldier and loves her country and thinks it can do anything and all but come on... I can wipe your citadel off the map solo Maia! :D

Sometime, you don't need to be a super deep and complex character to be the best character. Serafen is like that one friend you won't mind hanging around and keeping in contact with every day because he makes your day a lot more pleasant.

It's kinda why we like Eder. He isn't exactly that complex. Everything with him is rather linear and dumb but we like him because he's hilarious and fun to be with, which is why he's an iconic now.

I would agree with you on that usually . Thats how Isabela was for me in DA2...when every dude in (save varric) was whining in each ear I had... :lol:

she saved my sanity and made me laugh and is the reason why DA2 is my favorite of all . 

and I really love laughing , I mean Jan Jansen in BG2  , even Jaheira sarcasm make me laugh and I love her for it...

But....Seraf...he really feel flat..and it doesnt help that his personal quest is about finding daddy that you can finish in 4 trip .  :shrugz:

While Serafen quests might be really short and simple, what really makes him stand out more (beside being a blue furry) is that he's the only one out of your entire companion list that treats the whole trip like a fun journey, not a serious quest with a grand objective in mind. Remaro was just there troubling his mind and after that, he doesn't really care anymore and just do what a friend would do, mess around with you.

On the trip around a certain swamp, he's the only one who would continue complaining while everyone is already acting all soldier-like trying to reach the end goal.

He's also the only one who constantly joke around that I'm going to get everyone killed while everyone acts all serious and try to come up with a proper answer.

And there are so many situations where you can go "SERAFEN! HELP!" and he just go "OKAY!" like this one occasion where he really does nothing but is there anyway as a special thing.

jr71Nmx.png

28IVMXj.png

So he does more than enough to remind you that Deadfire is a game that is a lot more light-hearted and you can have fun all you want.

• Like 2

#Xotimostcutest

Maia is great, love her character...when she's not talking about Rauatai. I get that she's a soldier and loves her country and thinks it can do anything and all but come on... I can wipe your citadel off the map solo Maia! :D

thats fine..just let me get her and go on vacation! I dont care for Rauatai honestly..and never gonna side with them :D

Elderly Hive Dweller