Official Characters and Romance Thread (Spoiler Version) Part Two

Old Thread here: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/97310-companions-and-romance/

Handy table from the previous thread:

Does anyone know which companions are romance options? Anyone watching the streams?

I don't want to get spoilers for the game, except in this case, because it might influence my class choices. If Xoti is a romance option, for example, I'd rather not play as a priest.

Edit: According to this thread on reddit, all companions are romanceable, except Eder and Pallegina:

https://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/8i736m/pillars_of_eternity_ii_a_complete_list_of_which/

794df459c3a04b029d0c2c57d61fa7be.png

It is also a good idea to check the companions favorable dispositions:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/98401-companion-disposition-preferences/

and the last few posts:

Yeah my party always just had Imoen in it if my character was good/neutral and...well...my evil party wasn't really constant except for Viconia and Edwin. (Also Edwin's ending is just...really?)

Am I the only person in the world to genuinely like Jaheira? She can be quite an ass at times, but I really appreciated her no-nonsence attitude.

Oh wait somebody wrote that they love Jaheira while I was typing. Nevermind :grin:

Nope. She's an arbitrary party member (along with Jan and Keldorn) in my every playthrough. I really like how even without romance your character can develop a strong bond with her.

Same, I very rarely ran a party without those three (and never without Jan). I also like how in the end of ToB tne narrator mentions "your closest companions", and Jaheira's portrait is one of the first to flash across the screen.

I adored Jaheira. She was always in my party. I didn't romance her, though. My interests lay elsewhere, as is illustrated by my avatar. :grin: Love ya, Vicki!

Am I the only person in the world to genuinely like Jaheira? She can be quite an ass at times, but I really appreciated her no-nonsence attitude.

Oh wait somebody wrote that they love Jaheira while I was typing. Nevermind :grin:

Nope. She's an arbitrary party member (along with Jan and Keldorn) in my every playthrough. I really like how even without romance your character can develop a strong bond with her.

Same, I very rarely ran a party without those three (and never without Jan). I also like how in the end of ToB tne narrator mentions "your closest companions", and Jaheira's portrait is one of the first to flash across the screen.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Thankee! 

was gonna ask if anyone think the animation of Xoti when she shake her little lantern , is cute ? cose I think the animation is super adowable  :wub:

and useful ! 

• Like 1
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

I like the idle animation of all of them . But Maia animation kinda look weird when near water  :lol:

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

was gonna ask if anyone think the animation of Xoti when she shake her little lantern , is cute ? cose I think the animation is super adowable  :wub:

It's my favorite of all companions. I tend to get distracted when this animation starts playing during conversations, I just stop looking at the dialogue window and start watching Xoti instead. 

• Like 1

It's my favorite of all companions. I tend to get distracted when this animation starts playing during conversations, I just stop looking at the dialogue window and start watching Xoti instead. 

ha ha same darn thing! I have been going around saying 'I wasn't paying attention!'' ..now everyone will know why  :lol:

Elderly Hive Dweller

This conversation got me rifling through the folder with my BG2 screenshots again. Almost every one of Jan's banters with the other companions is hilarious (my favourite ones being those with Keldorn, Sarevok, Edwin and Minsc).

Not to be entirely off-topic: I really like how Serafen turned out (and his voice-over is great): he's probably gonna be my favourite of all of the new companions. 

Edited by CaptainBiscuit
  • Like 2

I love how the biggest storm you get during the course to Poko island, there's a companion options with Serafen where you simply ask him to be by your side which seems unique to only that situation.

Gawd I wish there were more. If only there's an option to piggyback ride Serafen with an Orlan char, Eder style... Now I know what needs to be drawn.

The animations are adorable, but I can't help noticing that Aloth's idle book-flipping-through animation looks like he's holding the book upside down? When you hold a book the front cover is in the left hand, but in the animation it's being held in his right. My only conclusion is that it's upside down :facepalm:

how can you tell ? can't zoom close enough.....

But he is kinda cute in the bath house..still nerding!  :lol:

• Like 1

Elderly Hive Dweller

The animations are adorable, but I can't help noticing that Aloth's idle book-flipping-through animation looks like he's holding the book upside down? When you hold a book the front cover is in the left hand, but in the animation it's being held in his right. My only conclusion is that it's upside down :facepalm:

Curse you now I'm never gonna not notice that :(

I liked the book reading animation too. DX

• Like 1

It is.

Aloth's romance is my favorite of course but I have a thing for the quiet ones <3

Aloth's my favorite too, but also because I prefer when friendships/relationships carry through several games i.e. Mass Effect.

I love all companion-specific animations, such a cool touch. My favorite with Aloth is when he locks his hands and starts neurotically drumming his fingers. I am sad there is no animation for Serafen though, would have been cool if he did something too.

Edited by Aridea
  • Like 2
Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

romance that carry over can be good or bad . Sometimes it's good..and sometimes it's bad .

So on that one , it's really depand on which romance we talking about . 

But..I'm more fond of 'Love at 1st sight' ..even though I wasn't a believer of such a thing . Hear my past self scoff at the idea ! 'Love at first sight ?! Ridiculous! probably some Teenager fantasy like those BBF stuff.....'' . 

Then it happen..and you age fast and know you were the one being ridiculous  :lol:

• Like 1

Elderly Hive Dweller

It is.

Aloth's romance is my favorite of course but I have a thing for the quiet ones <3

Aloth's my favorite too, but also because I prefer when friendships/relationships carry through several games i.e. Mass Effect.

Oh that definitely helps. That slow burn is <3

• Like 5

Eh I did not mean romance in particular, more like an established friendship, where you already have some history with the character. Those will always be a priority to me. For the same reason I always keep Eder and Pallegina in the party, because they are friends to my char. For the same reason I kept Jaheira, Minsc and Imoen in BGII and then Sarevok in ToB, because history. (forgot Viconia, her too)

My cynical old soul stopped believing in love at first sight :grin:

Edited by Aridea
  • Like 3
Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

Eh I did not mean romance in particular, more like an established friendship, where you already have some history with the character. Those will always be a priority to me. For the same reason I always keep Eder and Pallegina in the party, because they are friends to my char. For the same reason I kept Jaheira, Minsc and Imoen in BGII and then Sarevok in ToB, because history.

romance or friendship..

same thing when you think about it . You can be happy to see Garrus back! Or hate to see Kaidan is back... :getlost:

Doesn't have to be a romance . 

I was cynical...too..then I took an arrow to the brain , nowdays I laugh like a maniac at everything..and I'm banned from alot of places  :lol:

• Like 1

Elderly Hive Dweller

Eh I did not mean romance in particular, more like an established friendship, where you already have some history with the character. Those will always be a priority to me. For the same reason I always keep Eder and Pallegina in the party, because they are friends to my char. For the same reason I kept Jaheira, Minsc and Imoen in BGII and then Sarevok in ToB, because history. (forgot Viconia, her too)

Oh that's what Eder is for. He's my perma bro. :p (Also the one that always takes all the hits :devil:  )

• Like 2

Oh that's what Eder is for. He's my perma bro. :p (Also the one that always takes all the hits :devil:  )

tell me he still is carrying that shield you get from the smith that look like a door..

otherwise...Ouach! 

• Like 1

Elderly Hive Dweller

I demand an Eld Engrim-focused romance DLC.

Add Oswald at this point for a three some.

And that old man from the bathing house.

I doubt they will pass a constitution check :D

Aloth was one of my favorite companions in PoE I, and I was looking forward to the whole relationship that is carried through a few games thing, be it romance of friendship. Especially since my Watcher was a nerdy wizard pretty similar to Aloth, so it felt like they should naturally connect.

But here comes Deadfire, and Aloth just wouldn't approve of anything I do (but would gladly disapprove of my every joke), and my heart is a bit broken. Aloth why can't we be good friends dammit?  :unsure:

• Like 3

I demand an Eld Engrim-focused romance DLC.

Add Oswald at this point for a three some.

And that old man from the bathing house.

I doubt they will pass a constitution check :D

Just have the whole romance experience taken place in the

maaaaggiiiiicccc waaterrrrrr. - Serafen