So I finished the game, but I only found two remarkable robes, and both were rather mediocre. Effigy's Husk and Spider Silk Robe. I really wasn't happy with either one of them, but I never found anything better. If Miscreant's Leathers hadn't already been in use by someone else, I think I'd have ended up wearing that (it didn't seem to negatively influence cast times and recovery at all). 

My wizard (Aloth) ended up wearing Blackblade's Hood (+2 per), The Giftbearer's Cloth (+20+ fort/reflex/will, depends on History skill), Charm of Bones (+2 int), a **** robe, Firethrower's Gloves (+2 dex, +2 evocation power levels), random boots (PC wizard would probably wear Boots of the Stone for +1 dex, +2 res, resist might afflic), +3 con belt (lots of good belts with +2 con and extra stuff), Kuaru's Prize (+1 int, +1 per, +10% spell damage) and Ring of Overseeing (+10% area). Oh right, and for weapon, Chromoprismatic Quarterstaff (basically +2 elemental power levels).

The best pieces are the gloves and spell damage ring. You can buy the gloves super early with the Berath's Blessings vendor, and I imagine you can sail NW early and buy the ring from the isolationist tribe if you pass the skill checks to enter peacefully. If feeling brave,  you can also tackle Nemnok right nearby for the cloak and quarterstaff. The rest is fillerish but stuff I was fine with.

But the chest. What's the best wizard (or any caster) chest piece you've decided on?

Edited by Clerith

Miscreants is nice (as mentioned) it only has 5% Recovery with its buff, and can be enchanted to add an additional Quickslot (More Grimoires).

Cabalist Gambeson is nice, Starts as 9 Armor, 20% Recovery, can add +2 Armor Vs. Spells and one of a) +15% Beneficial effect Duration  b) +15% Negative effect Duration (can't remember the wording, but it gives your debuffs longer duration). *Bugged currently only giving 7 Armor*

Fleshmender, another Leather, 12 Armor, 20% Recovery, 5 Hp Healed per 12 Sec, -20% Crit Damage.

Also, dumping points into Metaphysics for the Chromatic Staff feels like a much better idea, than History for Saves; unless you're soloing or something.  Seems to give about 1.5% Action speed (and +Staff Damage) per point, added to the 10% base.  And a Damage Resistance based off Metaphysics Enchant.

Edited by Lokithecat

Miscreants is nice (as mentioned) it only has 5% Recovery with its buff, and can be enchanted to add an additional Quickslot (More Grimoires).

Cabalist Gambeson is nice, Starts as 9 Armor, 20% Recovery, can add +2 Armor Vs. Spells and one of a) +15% Beneficial effect Duration  b) +15% Negative effect Duration (can't remember the wording, but it gives your debuffs longer duration). *Bugged currently only giving 7 Armor*

Fleshmender, another Leather, 12 Armor, 20% Recovery, 5 Hp Healed per 12 Sec, -20% Crit Damage.

Also, dumping points into Metaphysics for the Chromatic Staff feels like a much better idea, than History for Saves; unless you're soloing or something.  Seems to give about 1.5% Action speed (and +Staff Damage) per point, added to the 10% base.  And a Damage Resistance based off Metaphysics Enchant.

Those are all nice light armor chests and I have them all, but yeah, I was looking for robes, for that zero recovery caster look. 

I tested the Chromoprismatic Quarterstaff and the damage and action speed only worked for your auto-attacks, it didn't work for spellcasting at all. And what high level wizard is going to attack with a weapon? It's just there for the fire and ice power levels. I used a random ranged 1h before that. It does have a stacking damage resist based on metaphysics... do you know how much it scales? If it's 1% per point of skill like most gear, you can reach 100% damage reduction, so it's probably less. Anyways, I think both metaphysics and history are good options.

Edited by Clerith

The quarterstaff is in a chest behind the 'Nemnok the Devourer' quest boss encounter in Drowned Barrows behind Junvik Village, near the NW corner of the map. I've heard people clear it around 10-12 earliest, but that it was very hard.

The quarterstaff is in a chest behind the 'Nemnok the Devourer' quest boss encounter in Drowned Barrows behind Junvik Village, near the NW corner of the map. I've heard people clear it around 10-12 earliest, but that it was very hard.

Well, if he is not immune to burn damage, a scroll of meteo shower should do the trick.

Spearcaster (Arbalest) is another good toy for Casters (yeah, not a Robe). Its fairly high damage, and the 5 + Arcana Skill (+1% per) to Accuracy is really Handy.

Modal for Arbalest is Prone on hit; it has a 50% Knockback + Daze on regular attacks.